Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Shaw HD PVR or HD recorder? Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with the Shaw HD PVR or the Pioneer DVR-640H-S? I need a recording solution. My VCR stopped working years ago and I never bought another because VHS was obsolete by then.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with those particular models, but I do have a lot of experience in telecommunications(I sold and installed cable a year back). I am currently using a Scientific Atlanta PVR with my Rogers service. It is a fantastic piece of equipment to have. The convenience is unbeatable.

The one problem with PVRs is the hard drives tend to last little over a year, year and a half. So if you have an option to rent one or to take an extended warranty, I would definitely suggest looking into those options.

Rogers offers the option to rent the terminal, so I choose that. This way, if a new model comes out its a free swap-out, and if mine stops working(my last one did just after a year actually) then I get a new one. I'm not certain how Shaw operates though.

The two models you've asked about appear to be significantly different. If you require High Def, then I would select the Shaw HD PVR. As well, if you're a digital cable subscriber, I'm not certain how well the pioneer model will work(it will still need to be routed through your digital terminal anyhow). Definitely if you're subscribing to a cable service, the shaw offering will likely be the most user-friendly and most comprehensive.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaw uses Motorola equipment. I was reading that the Scientific Atlanta is a superior product as some other forums, but the point is moot since it is Shaw who has the monopoly in this neck of the woods.

The reviews for the Pioneer are quite good, that is the only reason I am considering it. I have also heard some Shaw horror stories about the firmware. People unable to ff or rw without crashing the box.

As I said though, Shaw has the monopoly so nothing to do but bend over and put my palms flat. I think Bell also uses the Scientific Atlanta kit, so maybe I will see how serious they are about poaching a customer. Star Choice also uses Motorola.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaw HD PVR or HD recorder? Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Shaw HD PVR or the Pioneer DVR-640H-S? I need a recording solution. My VCR stopped working years ago and I never bought another because VHS was obsolete by then.

We got the motorola PVR from access communications - all I can say is - wow - it makes a VCR so very limited - yes - get the PVR you'll like it - 120 hours of recording - one touch recording from listings menu etc., etc., etc., - if the ones that Shaw provides are like the motorola - you'll wish you'd had it sooner!

We rent it for $16/M and as biggie reaction notes - renting this item is better as in upgrades and repairs - think of it as a cable box that can do more - we were paying ten bucks a months just for the digital cable box - this PVR is only 6 bucks more - well worth it!

Of course - it has worked without any glitches!

:wink:
McGuire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the DVR, better deal
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought that Pioneer unit. Get the Shaw PVR. You can't record high def with the Pioneer. It also doesn't seem to be compatible with all Divx formats.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:

As I said though, Shaw has the monopoly so nothing to do but bend over and put my palms flat. I think Bell also uses the Scientific Atlanta kit, so maybe I will see how serious they are about poaching a customer. Star Choice also uses Motorola.

Last time I checked they did. But they lack some channels I find. For example, my tv is usually on the Military Channel, something not offered by ExVu.

Jump to: