Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Stephane Dion - An impressive man, or a mirage? Reply with quote

I would recommend people watch Dion's English language CBC interview with Mansbridge on the National (Dec 7, 2006).

Impressive media savvy. Note especially the lucidity of his answer on the "nation" question, and how elegantly he explains away his dual-citizenship.

I have difficulty figuring out how the Dion Liberals lose a single seat they now hold, and I have even greater difficulty determining how the Bloc holds on to all of its seats. A more pessimistic analysis could see NDP and Green voters flocking en masse to the Liberals - drawn by Dion's "passionate" environmentalism - and thus moving up to a dozen NDP and Conservative seats over to the Liberals.

Unless Dion turns out to be a mirage (i.e. a Paul Martin on the campaign trail with the same inept clowns who ran the last two Liberal campaigns into the ground), the outcome of the next election is not going to be favourable for the Conservatives. As much as it pains me to be pessimistic, gaining a majority would now appear to be out of the question -- holding on to the minority itself is going to be a formidable challenge.

Is Dion a mirage? Or is he the real thing? I doubt it is the former, and time will tell if he is the latter. I know this, however: the Liberals did not choose poorly last weekend.

Throw in the press "friendship" with Team Harper, and the next election promises to be a toxic brew for Team Conservatives.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was the Liberal who said Dion could not balance a cheque book? He may be strong in this one area, but I am beginning to doubt that he has universal strength in all policy areas. I am sensing weakness on the economy, and the bottom line is that any government that does not know about the economy is going to be short lived.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw some of the interview with Mansbridge. I was left with the impression that in private, he could be a likeable guy. But I tend to think that about most people, until they have proven otherwise, even those that I disagree with strongly on political issues. I prefer not to demonize those with a different point of view, unlike the so-called "progressive" political elites. Despite being "likeable", I think Dion is just another academic with "theories" to "prove" as his central motivation for moving into politics from academia. Given his sad record so far on the environment while in government, I would be very reluctant to "bet" the Canadian economy on the stuff he was expounding.
Glenn

Last edited by Blue Meanie on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.canada.com/national.....dac003a716

So, an un-named Liberal. Take it with a grain of salt I suppose.
Quote:
'I sat around the Cabinet table from [Stephane Dion] and I can tell you, he couldn't balance a cheque book." That was the view of one former Liberal minister who is now professing undying devotion to his party's new leader.
mrsocko

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have difficulty figuring out how the Dion Liberals lose a single seat they now hold.

Another Leader from Quebec will not play well with the rest of Canada. The Conservatives have shown they are a moderate Centre right party, not the radicals the Libs were scarmongering about. Harpers leadership is now a stregth.

I too saw the interview with Mansbridge and Dion's English is not good. He did not give good answers on the fly. If he had thought about the issue alot(the nation issue) he gave a good answer. If it was a question out of the blue he struggled and he played the enviroment card on almost every answer he gave, even when the question was not about the enviroment.
When Chretien answered questions his answers has good content but were a jumbled mess in both English and French due to his disability. Dion's answers were BORING because he doesn't have command of the language.

I wonder how Harper appears to the Quebecois when he gives answers.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not looking at the unified liberal front they are trying to show to the public - We're looking at a divided party... With any luck, Harper will be able to capitalize on that.

Jump to: