Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did Michael Chong do the right thing?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 20 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 25

Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Did Michael Chong do the right thing? Reply with quote

I think so.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree,
He was Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, this issue is "his house" and if picked his loyalty to Canada over party politics I am pleased to have him within our party.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with him. I think he did the honorable thing, for himself, his country and the party. It doesn't seem like the CPC leadership has a problem with him following his conscience, either.
Although, this is inconsistant with their policy of allowing no dissent and crushing those who don't tow Harper's line. I'm sure the MSM will be sure to point out what hypocrites the CPC leadership is and the double standard they now employ (witness the different treatment of Turner vs. Chong). :roll:
Glenn
torynomore?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Michael Chong Reply with quote

Definitely. I feel betrayed by Harper. All my life I saw the Tories as the sane political party. Now I see a dictator. How can any leader "order' his party to vote his way or hit the road and be able to rest at night. Teflon Jean did this and he was heckled by the Tories. Now we see the same from their leader. I have no faith in Harper anymore. He is creating more problems as he goes along. Only problem is there is no other party to vote for.
Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Chong Reply with quote

torynomore? wrote:
Definitely. I feel betrayed by Harper. All my life I saw the Tories as the sane political party. Now I see a dictator. How can any leader "order' his party to vote his way or hit the road and be able to rest at night. Teflon Jean did this and he was heckled by the Tories. Now we see the same from their leader. I have no faith in Harper anymore. He is creating more problems as he goes along. Only problem is there is no other party to vote for.

Don't be ridiculous. All parties have to exercise party discipline. They always have and always will. It's a matter of degree. Compared to the likes of Chretien and past PM's, Harper seems fairly benign and it would be totally unfair to jump to the conclusion he is a "dictator" based on less than a year as a minority PM. Especially based on Michael Chong. I understand he resigned his cabinet post, but was not told to "hit the road" and kicked out like Garth Turner.
Glenn
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Michael Chong Reply with quote

torynomore? wrote:

Dictator?

I would argue that both Paul Martin and Jean Chretien both ruled with as much of an ironfist as Harper has.

Had Harper evicted Chong from the party then perhaps, but much like with the Liberals and the Same Sex Marriage issue, the PM expected his cabinet to vote with him and thats not uncommon.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the next CPC leadership race comes around, I will be remembering the name Chong.
PhantomObserver

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's somewhat telling that Chong decided to abstain, rather than vote against the motion. This would suggest that while he thinks Harper's wrong on the nation question, the question itself isn't of such importance that he would choose to vote against it and risk expulsion from the caucus.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
When the next CPC leadership race comes around, I will be remembering the name Chong.

I could see that,
but he has to work at his public speaking.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

I could see that,

I'd rather see a CPC government that needs to make concessions here and there than a Liberal government that doesn't...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could he not protest this thing in any way other than resignation?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
cosmostein wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

I could see that,

I'd rather see a CPC government that needs to make concessions here and there than a Liberal government that doesn't...

Check and Mate.

Good Point.
justice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper went to the liberal instead of his "own "man,
big mistake.how would you feel?
in my world,
you go to your guy,the guy you hired, who goes to the other side for you.
a leader would know this
public castration of your team has caused damage before

check out this man, Chong ,he will be a player and he did the right thing

this whole mess was caused by a mistake made by Harper, plain and simple

hey we all make them.
norski

Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10Reputation: 10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minister of inter-governmental affairs did the right thing. Harper must feel like he is the emperor, that he can do anything he wants without conferring with the caucas. The reform/conservative party has always contended that they will confir with the grassroots before implementing a new policy.

Also the party policy was to not bend to pressure from Quebec for special status. If the western MP's have any principle, they should resign or walk across the floor as independents. So much for principles.

norski
Blue Meanie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norski wrote:
..... The reform/conservative party has always contended that they will confir with the grassroots before implementing a new policy.

What new policy? The motion put forward on the floor by Harper is not a "policy".

norski wrote:
..... Also the party policy was to not bend to pressure from Quebec for special status. If the western MP's have any principle, they should resign or walk across the floor as independents. So much for principles.
norski

Nobody has bent "to pressure from Quebec for special status." Harper just cut off the BQ and acknowlegded what everyone knows. How does that give Quebec special status?
Glenn

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: