Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Harper Asks Don Cherry to Run for Conservatives! Reply with quote

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story.....ament.html

Cherry also met with Prime Minister Stephen Harper for an informal meeting. He said Harper asked him to run in the next election.

"You know what I told him? I'm too great on television, I can't."
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. Under all the bluster there's a good mind and a lot of heart. Plus, he might be able to win a seat somewhere in the GTA...
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you believe some no-class clowns actually booed Don Cherry when he came into the House of Commons? Cherry was a successful coach before he morphed himself into an entertainer and he's a prominent and proud Canadian. Whether you like him or disagree with him, booing is simply tacky. How disrespectful!!

-Mac
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Can you believe some no-class clowns actually booed Don Cherry when he came into the House of Commons? Cherry was a successful coach before he morphed himself into an entertainer and he's a prominent and proud Canadian. Whether you like him or disagree with him, booing is simply tacky. How disrespectful!!

-Mac

What ever happened to decorum in the house? Would they have done that if he was a woman?

8)
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good that he did not accept the offer. Obviously, a former AHL coach of the year, former NHL coach of the year, would have prime ministerial ambitions. It would have been like letting a smarter, more politically savvy Belinda Stronach type into the party!

Next, we should ask the weatherman from Red Deer.
biggie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and he already knows tie domi...

:D
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I am a quantity over quality type of Tory,
And I want a majority, and Cherry gives us a chance in Kingston and the Islands.

This is a riding that we have lost by

12,318 in 2006
15,962 in 2004

Anytime we can make any sort of in road into a VERY liberal riding, especially in Ontario I think it should at least be entertained.

On a side note,
What I find interesting is that Peter Milliken recieved
28,548 in 2006
28,544 in 2004
Its one of those fun election facts, a four more votes in 2006,

Wacky.
biggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - Don cherry would be an almost guaranteed in in most of Ontario... I mean he's the kind of guy many Canadians take very seriously and have a great deal of respect for (not myself personally).

His very presence in the party could even draw many undecided voters (as sad as that is). Harper having asked him may well have made several people take a double-take at the CPC even..
Montgomery

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I'm from Kingston, I can put forward a couple words on this...

Peter Milliken has held the seat since 1988 - but he's retiring and letting someone else run in the next election. Kingston elects MPs based on the personality, and as the Conservatives have (regretfully) put forward rather poor candidates in recent years (with the exception of Flora MacDonald), the Liberals have held the riding. But the NDP presence is a joke, Liberal votes have been declining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.....on_results), and a real personality could turn it around. Don Cherry could plausibly take the seat - if only he'd run.

Kingston is an island of Liberal red in a sea of Conservative blue (literally, every surrounding seat is Conservative). Don Cherry could deliver that seat to the Conservatives for the first time since the 80's, and if he so chose, I would (as a member of the riding association) vote for him as the candidate.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced that Grapes was asked to run. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't just having the MSM on for a laugh. That said, I think he would be as entitled to run as any other citizen and certainly would be no worse a candidate than some of the other idiots running for office in other parties. I could vote for him, but maybe more to piss off those that don't like him. :wink:
Glenn
biggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery wrote:
As I'm from Kingston, I can put forward a couple words on this...

Peter Milliken has held the seat since 1988 - but he's retiring and letting someone else run in the next election. Kingston elects MPs based on the personality, and as the Conservatives have (regretfully) put forward rather poor candidates in recent years (with the exception of Flora MacDonald), the Liberals have held the riding. But the NDP presence is a joke, Liberal votes have been declining (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.....on_results), and a real personality could turn it around. Don Cherry could plausibly take the seat - if only he'd run.

Kingston is an island of Liberal red in a sea of Conservative blue (literally, every surrounding seat is Conservative). Don Cherry could deliver that seat to the Conservatives for the first time since the 80's, and if he so chose, I would (as a member of the riding association) vote for him as the candidate.

I'll pass the opportunity to take a healthy swipe at kingston ;) lol.

Its ok - Ottawa is very much like that. I'm living in the bleeding-heart section. I mean, where I used to live I could have voted for Baird... But now, I'm downtown and every conspiracy theorist and hippy in ottawa lives down here... must feed off of all the hot air from parliament hill ;) Its a shame, and we had a solid candidate in jan. Really charismatic, even french! and he still lost because of all the French in Vanier..
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any political party with Don Cherry on its team would crush its opponents. Not only that, but there would be a sudden surge of interest in Canadian politics. We'd have the highest voter turnout in years.

--Ruth
palomino_pony

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
I mean he's the kind of guy many Canadians take very seriously and have a great deal of respect for (not myself personally).

For as many people who respect him, there are many who think he has become a caricature of himself.

I respect his support for the troops, I respect that he does not mince words and calls things the way he sees them, and I respect that he wears his love for his country on his sleeve. However I don't think that Don is cut for the Canadian parliamentary system where party discipline and following the leader is more important than individualism. He knows that himself. He would go crazy having to be muzzled.

I echo Mac's description of Don, he has "morphed himself into an entertainer".
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palomino_pony wrote:
I echo Mac's description of Don, he has "morphed himself into an entertainer".

I met Don at one of his Grapevine restaurants back in the 80s and I was pleasantly surprised. His on-stage persona is larger than life; that's what sells. The Don Cherry whom I was introduced to was an intelligent, articulate gentleman. Was that another persona? Likely so... but perhaps a more accurate facsimile of the "real" Don than the outspoken commentator.

Could Don Cherry be a politician? Sure, but why would he, particularly when politics is so ugly? I don't know why anyone would want to be a politician nowadays!! Here in BC, politics is a bloodsport and I suspect the rest of the country isn't much better.

-Mac
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
I don't know why anyone would want to be a politician nowadays!! Here in BC, politics is a bloodsport and I suspect the rest of the country isn't much better.

-Mac

Perhaps that is the very reason people would want to - I know its definitely what draws my attention. Some people strive in an environment like that; others let it bother them.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: