Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

When should Harper call an election?
Quickly after the Libs pick a new leader
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Late Spring Early Summer
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Try to keep parliment running as long as possible
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 22

TealTories

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Next Election Reply with quote

With the hold up and ammendments with the Federal Accountability Act, the watering down on tough crime legislation, and the inability to pass common sense legislation because of polical partisanship, when should Harper dissolve parliment?
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since the calls of no one wants an election right now seem to have been miraculously quieted, why not now? Call it today, let the chips drop where they may.
TealTories

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
Well, since the calls of no one wants an election right now seem to have been miraculously quieted, why not now? Call it today, let the chips drop where they may.

I think that would come off as unfair. The press would eat the conservatives alive for calling an election when the Fiberals dont have leader yet.
It would be political suicide!!
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much to hope that we would get the same treatment Chretien got when he did it to the newly minted CPC? Calls that it was a shrewd political move and we were lucky to have such a wise master leading us?
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gov't will fall on the budget
TealTories

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuire wrote:

When is the next budget February?
I dont think that the Libs would want an election that soon after picking a leader.
But I hope you are right.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TealTories wrote:
McGuire wrote:

When is the next budget February?
I dont think that the Libs would want an election that soon after picking a leader.
But I hope you are right.

The Bloc expects billions more for Quebec in equalization in the budget or they will vote against it. The NDP thinks they can capitalize on their opposition to Afghanistan, so they'd like another election. Liberals think a year and a new leader is all they need for the Canadian public to put them back as the natural governing party of Canada. And now they're all blocking the passage of the governments legislative agenda, even after having initially supported some of it. Its sounds like all the oppostion parties are scrapping for an election, no doubt based on those polls being reported in the MSM. And the MSM "pundits" seemed to be softening up the public for this. Unless the CPC caves in on the budget, there will be a spring election.
Glenn
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in my blog today, I think Harper should give a deadline for the Accountability Act to be passed (I said November 13th so it's after Rememberance Day), and make anything to do with his top 5 priorities a confidence vote, crime bills included.

At the same point, he should be putting forward issues to divide the opposition.

I think we're ready for an election, let the Opposition force us to the polls if they don't like what we're doing. The sooner the better.
TealTories

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
As I said in my blog today, I think Harper should give a deadline for the Accountability Act to be passed (I said November 13th so it's after Rememberance Day), and make anything to do with his top 5 priorities a confidence vote, crime bills included.

At the same point, he should be putting forward issues to divide the opposition.

I think we're ready for an election, let the Opposition force us to the polls if they don't like what we're doing. The sooner the better.

Dont you think the media will call him a bully if he does that?
I read your blog and I like the idea on tabling liberal dividing issues.
Reforming the Senate would also be a great division point. The aristocratic left would never let that happen.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A man after my own heart.

IMO, the sooner the better!
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe, however Chretien did made everything confidence votes for 10 years (with a majority no less) and the media said nothing.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TealTories wrote:
Frank wrote:

I read your blog and I like the idea on tabling liberal dividing issues.
Reforming the Senate would also be a great division point. The aristocratic left would never let that happen.

We aren't gonna be favoured by the media either way, we'll either be blamed for the parliamentary holdup going on, or we'll be blamed for forcing our legislation through. The media hates us, and we'll just have to go on with the us against the world stance and address Canadians directly.

Why not put forward a proportional representation election system for Senators, and call for the election of ALL Senators. Let's see Jack Layton say no to that.

If I were Harper, I'd be putting forward the parts of the platform that are perhaps controversial, but can divide the opposition parties, and at the same time get the electorate to back us.
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say put forth a strong confidence motion right now - but something that is contentious - that the left won't accept but Canadians will hate them for if they force an election over it. Maybe its a bit early, but GST cut anyone? I got a call from the fund-raisers today, looks like they're ramping up the war machine... they're expecting it any time, and Harper is goading them to try it.

I'd love to see an election called before the libs pick a leader... that would be all too sweet. They would have to rush a leader in, lay down a solid policy in short notice, and all the scandals of the leadership race would still fresh..
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe the media will - But Harper can position it(when he announces it) as a way to ensure parliament proceeds with business. He can use the liberal-created log jam as an excuse.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When should Harper call an election?

Why should he do it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: