Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Rae and Fortier run in these by-elections?
London North Centre: Bob Rae should run.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
London North Centre: Bob Rae should chicken out.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Repentigny: Michel Fortier should run.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Repentigny: Michel Fortier should focus on PWGSC for now.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: By-elections: should Rae and Fortier run? Reply with quote

In what surely be delicious irony - Chretien called a byelection in the then vacant Manning ridiing in 2002 a few days after Harper won the Alliance leadership and while Ezra Levant was still demanding squatter's rights - the PM has called 2 by-elections for London North Centre (seat vacated by Joe Fontana) and Repentigny (sitting Bloc MP Sauvageau died tragically in a car accident).

Bob Rae claims the good folks in Ontario have gotten over him. What better way to demonstrate his winnability than by running in London North Centre only a few days before the Liberal convention?

To be fair, Public Works Minister Fortier should also resign his Senate seat and run in Repentigny. It is in the Montreal suburbs, and Conservative policies of lower taxes, law and order, and clean government should play well there.
Cool Blue

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anybody but the BQ has a chance in that Quebec riding.

Fortier should run, but if he does he'll be killed.
Knave

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Fortier should run, but if he does he'll be killed.

Well, the media is making it out to be a double-standard; Fortier said that he'd run at the first available opportunity, but now is saying he'd run in the next general election.

I think it'd show some fortitude to resign his seat and run in such a contested riding, as opposed to a 'safe' seat. That is, if he's going to have any legitimacy and credibility whatsoever....
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, I recall him always having said that he'd run in the next election.
anchorlink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: By-elections: should Rae and Fortier run? Reply with quote

What does everyone think of Elizabeth May's decision to run? A number of news outlets have pointed out that she may inadvertantly help us by splitting the vote on the left, but I don't think she'll even do well enough to do that. And with good reason.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thnk the Greens will go left big-time under May so that will help us in terms of vote splitting.

In light of the MSM beating and opposition bleating we've gotten over the last week on the CLean Air act, if people hold the environment as their top consern they won't be voting CPC anyway.

However, instead of going Lib, or NDP, they now have a 3rd choice which has the reputation of being the most environmentally friendly out of the bunch.

In the last few years, the Greens held some appeal to conservatives under Jim Harris thanks to right-wing tax policies and pro-free market environmental policies; however, May has recently revamped their platform and has said that Harris was too right-wing. I think theis appeal to conservatives will decrease.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another one of these situations where the media is making the situation out to be something it is not,

Fortier said he would run in the next GENERAL election, and feeding him to the voters of Repentigny just so Layton and Grahame can get off on him being slaughter does nothing for anyone other then the opposition.

The reality is that the Canadian people elected Harper like him or not, and the cabinet that serves the people of Canada is better with Fortier in it then not in it.

At least give the man the courtesy to run in his home riding rather then saying well he is French therefore he should run anywhere in Quebec where there is an opening?

As for Rae, I am not confident he will run at all federally if he does not win the leadership of the Liberals so why waste the time of the voters in London?
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: By-elections: should Rae and Fortier run? Reply with quote

anchorlink wrote:
What does everyone think of Elizabeth May's decision to run? A number of news outlets have pointed out that she may inadvertantly help us by splitting the vote on the left, but I don't think she'll even do well enough to do that. And with good reason.

This must be a slow news week,
I think Harper booting Turner has been the best thing to ever happen to the Green Party.

Garth Turner seeking out Elizabeth May has got her name in the paper more then when she won the leadership of the party a few months ago.

Can someone answer me what the best showing a Green Party Candidate has ever had in Ontario? I could look it up but I am at work and maybe someone already knows. Has it been higher then 10% ever? I think May is a non-factor in a riding that will clearly go Liberal again.
anchorlink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Chernushenko, the pro-business Green candidate who lost the leadership to May, cracked the 10 per cent margin in Ottawa Centre in the 2006 election.
CC Scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conservatives look like they're going to have a good candidate to run in London North Centre this byelection. The popular former mayor Dianne Haskett. So that riding might get a little tight if May, Rae, and Haskett all run there.

I don't think that Rae will run in the byelection though. He'll be more focussed on the leadership election. He can always run after the leadership vote (if he wins). It wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anchorlink wrote:
David Chernushenko, the pro-business Green candidate who lost the leadership to May, cracked the 10 per cent margin in Ottawa Centre in the 2006 election.

Ah yes, he did crack 10%.
WHat an interesting riding, the NDP still won by nearly 8% even with the Greens grabbing 10.3%

I found another such riding as well, it seems in Wild Rose the Green Party finished second with 10.84% of the vote, although Myron Thompson did win the riding with 72.16% of the vote.

Even with this said, I wonder if London North Centre this could be a factor?
In many of the ridings where the Greens made their strides the votes came more so from the NDP rather then the Liberals, and Joe Fontana did win this riding by more then 10% with the Greens getting roughly 5%.

Even with Dianne Haskett returning from Washington to run for the Tories this seat really is an outside shot for us at best.
McGuire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, the media is making it out to be a double-standard; Fortier said that he'd run at the first available opportunity, but now is saying he'd run in the next general election.

I seem to recall Bernie Boudreau was appointed to the Senate & into cabinet when us Bluenosers caused the Grits to get blanked in NS in the 1997 election. He had an opportunity to run in Kings-Hants when Brison stepped aside to allow Joe Clark to run & he declined. No one raised a stink about what Boudreau did then.
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC Scott wrote:
The Conservatives look like they're going to have a good candidate to run in London North Centre this byelection. The popular former mayor Dianne Haskett. So that riding might get a little tight if May, Rae, and Haskett all run there.

The Liberals appear to be pushing Kennedy to run which would make it more interesting. I am not sure about Haskett - she was the Mayor of London, but does anyone know whether (and how) the riding voted for her during Mayoral elections?
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I can't say I understand the need to call these by-elections right now. They were both seats securely held by opposition parties. As they stand now, 2 less opposition votes. Given the uproar about Fortier's appointment, certainly it could be foreseen that some would expect Fortier to run in any Quebec by-election. And rightly so. The PM stands as a man of principal and as such, having Fortier run now would have given him an opportunity to re-balance principal against his pragmatic decision to appoint Fortier in the first place.
The ONLY principalled reason to let Fortier avoid running in this by-election, would be if he had already become the CPC candidate (or was on the nominations ballot) for his home riding (or any other riding he had planned to run in in the next Federal election). Let's not parse over whether or not he had said "next election" or "next general election". That's lame and we all know it.
Glenn
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, because Harper is actually a backer of democracy. The voters of those two seats deserve representation, so that is why a by-election now. Also I think it is tradition not to let seats go empty for many months.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: