Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Rae and Fortier run in these by-elections?
London North Centre: Bob Rae should run.
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
London North Centre: Bob Rae should chicken out.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Repentigny: Michel Fortier should run.
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Repentigny: Michel Fortier should focus on PWGSC for now.
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 9

Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with kwlafayette. While waiting for a byelection, the people of those two ridings have no representation in Parliament and that's injustice incarnate (ie: taxation without representation) and the principled act of the Prime Minister is to call byelections.

-Mac
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's try not to be too simple here. No one would disagree that the people in those ridings are entitled to representation and that by-elections should be held. But like many things in life, timing is everything. I'm not aware of any requirement to call a by-election within a certain time frame (I stand to be corrected), so if you're vulnerable on an issue such as Fortier's, why not get some real cover for him not to run. Don't try to get off on some " he said the next general election, not by-election" bafflegab. :roll:
Glenn
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the only justification is that, if he is a representative of Montreal, and this is not a Montreal riding, then why would he? Getting elected in some non-Montreal riding would make the whole exercise moot, would it not? Would it not mean that the press was free once again to say that Canada's second largest city, or whatever, had no representation in government?

Wasn't the whole point of appointing Fortier, and buying Emerson, to address address concerns that Canada's largest cities had no seat at the government table? So I don't get your whole line of inquiry here.
Blue Meanie

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
I guess the only justification is that, if he is a representative of Montreal, and this is not a Montreal riding, then why would he. Getting elected in some non-Montreal riding would make the whole exercise moot, would it not??

I could accept that as a reasonable justification. But I haven't heard anyone else make it yet. I don't think it is a Montreal riding either.

kwlafayette wrote:
Would it not mean that the press was free once again to say that Canada's second largest city, or whatever, had no representation in government?
Wasn't the whole point of appointing Fortier, and buying Emerson, to address address concerns that Canada's largest cities had no seat at the government table? So I don't get your whole line of inquiry here.

Yes, but the press says a lot of things. Ultimately, if Montrealers don't elect CPC MP's and have no representation, that's their choice. The PM bent his principals once to give them some kind of representation as a pragmatic political courtesy. Why bend them again by not running Fortier? But as you say though, the point is moot, as its not a Montreal riding.
Glenn
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repentigny is a Montreal suburb. It is a Bloc riding. Fortier has no chance there, or frankly, anywhere on the Montreal Island (i.e. the 450/514 area codes) in the near future. As an aside, Fortier is the political minister for Montreal, and my reading of the Quebec press would seem to indicate that he has been just about invisible to-date.

Is it possible that PM Harper called the by-election in London North-Centre to test drive his strategy to-date: law and order, tax cuts, accountability etc? If they can win a riding like London, then they could bypass most of Quebec (except the Quebec City area) and try to build a majority, or more likely, hold on to the minority in the next election by adding to the Ontario seat count (i.e. reconstruct the Harris coalition).

Once he called the London by-election, he had to call Repentigny and take a hit on Fortier. Throwing a rock into the Liberal leadership race was probably a bonus.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the elections Canada maps, and Repentigny was not listed with the Montreal ridings. I really could not get a sense of how close or far it was from their crappy maps.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: