Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: GOP will maintain control of both Senate and House Reply with quote

JUBILANT DEMOCRATS SHOULD RECONSIDER their order for confetti and noisemakers, BARRON's claims in their next edition. The Democrats, as widely reported, are expecting GOP-weary voters to flock to the polls in two weeks and hand them control of the House for the first time in 12 years -- and perhaps the Senate, as well. Even some Republicans privately confess that they are anticipating the election-day equivalent of Little Big Horn. Pardon our hubris, but we just don't see it.

Our analysis -- based on a race-by-race examination of campaign-finance data -- suggests that the GOP will hang on to both chambers, at least nominally. We expect the Republican majority in the House to fall by eight seats, to 224 of the chamber's 435. At the very worst, our analysis suggests, the party's loss could be as large as 14 seats, leaving a one-seat majority. But that is still a far cry from the 20-seat loss some are predicting. In the Senate, with 100 seats, we see the GOP winding up with 52, down three.

www.drudgereport.com
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope they keep their majority in both senate and the house
cbasu

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The House will go Democratic by a comfortable margin.

The Republicans should hold on to the Senate. The Democrats would have to win two of Virginia, Missouri and Tennessee to wrest control, and hope that NJ stays Democratic.

It would be delicious if Joementum wins CT, and becomes the tie-breaking vote in the Senate. DailyKos would probably go into a state of deep depression.

My guess is that the Democrats will win TN, squeak out a victory in MO, but fall short in VA. They will hold NJ, and effectively hold CT through either Lieberman or Lamont.

A change in control would actually benefit the US conservative movement greatly as they can regroup and return to their principled roots. It would also help the Republican candidates for the 2008 Presidential sweepstakes.
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbasu wrote:
The House will go Democratic by a comfortable margin.

We'll see... Difficult to say - people were convinced John Kerry would win the presidency too.

People were convinced the liberals would win the 2005/2006 Election - we all know how that worked out 8)
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only Canadian conservative who doesn't really care about American politics?
biggie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
Am I the only Canadian conservative who doesn't really care about American politics?

No...

I don't care much either. I pay attention to the big news, but not like I pay attention to Canadian politics.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I find interesting about US politics is how in the last election the left threw everything at Bush and he still won.
Stephen

votes: 5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
The only thing I find interesting about US politics is how in the last election the left threw everything at Bush and he still won.

Perhaps they should have thrown everything (enticing) at the voters instead...

People need a reason to vote FOR a party as we learned in our last Canadian election.
Evilgenius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is one thing to be conservative. It is quite another to be completely incompetent. That's what the present Republicans are. Completely incompetent. They've either ignored major issues that are begging to be fixed, like health-care costs, or totally mishandled whatever they have touched, like Iraq and Katrina.

This is not the party of Ronald Reagan or even Bush Sr., who I would have gladly supported if I was American. This lot is borderline insane. They very badly need a time-out. Let the Democrats screw things up for a change.
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that the Republicans are suffering from the same problems that the federal Liberals have; that is, they've been so successfull that they think they can get away with anything.

When Bush was first elected I thought he might be an interesting president because of his "compassionate conservative" policies, yet I don't see any progress in that way.

I understand that 9-11 became the overwhelming priority, but I find it amazing that Bush hasn't used his huge advantage of controlling both legislatures, to tackles the debt or get other bold right-wing policies enacted.

If I were in the USA it would be hard for me to decide if I were a repulican or democrat; however, the moonbats in the dems would probably drive me to the Reps.
Evilgenius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
I'm afraid that the Republicans are suffering from the same problems that the federal Liberals have; that is, they've been so successfull that they think they can get away with anything.

Exactly. Any adjective that you could apply to the federal Liberals in Canada, you would also apply to the Republican party - arrogant, out-of-touch, visionless, incompetent, corrupt, etc.

The party that negotiated free trade with Canada in the 80s, is definitely not the same party that's studying building a wall along our border, or imposing passport requirements on us.

For now at least, I hope the Democrats win in a landslide.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad but true. That being said, what will the left in the US (and Canada for that matter) do when they don't have the evil George Dubya Bush to use as a bogey-man?

-Mac
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only worry about a democratic win is that if Harper is still the PM, the Democrats might try to help out the Libs by giving Harper a hard time.

However, if Harper and the Dems play their cards right and work well together, Harper could use the relationship to reach out to voters in the centre, while the Dems could use it to reach out to voters on the centre-right.
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed... although I agree with the handling of 911 (and Bush was an excellent man to have speaking during that time), I have lost most of that respect for him since. I find he's been rather useless on topics other than Afghanistan/Iraq.. I'm in agreement with cool blue on this one
Evilgenius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American politics is well to the right of Canada. If you consider the political parties of each country as a range from right to left, the Canadian range is well to the left of the American range. Canada really doesn't have much of a religious right, and the US doesn't really have anything like the NDP or the left-wing of the Liberal party.

Where the two meet, is somewhere in the middle, which is broadly defined as fiscally-conservative, economic libertarianism, with a few exceptions like universal health-care. From what I can see, most Canadian conservatives, and most Democrats, are in roughly the same place at this time. There should be no reason why the two shouldn't get along much better than the Republican/Liberal combo we've had till recently.

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: