Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Saddam's reason for this statement?
Show Remorse and Leadership in hopes of survival
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Wants to see his countrymen succeed
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
A last-ditch ploy to be freed
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Position himself as a Martyr
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Saddam to bring Iraq together? Reply with quote

REFERENCE LINK

Quote:
"The hour of liberation is at hand, God willing, but remember that your near-term goal is confined to freeing your country from the forces of occupation and their followers and not be preoccupied with settling scores or deviate from your goal," Saddam said.

Quote:

He called on Iraq's Sunni Arabs to forgive their enemies, including informants who aided U.S. forces hunt down and kill his two sons -- Odai and Qussai, three year ago in the northern city of Mosul.

"When you achieve victory, remember you are God's soldiers and therefore, you must show genuine forgiveness and put aside revenge over the spilled blood of your sons and brothers, including the sons of Saddam Hussein," he wrote.

"I call on you to be forgiving rather than being rough with those who lost the right path."

So, Saddam is advocating forgiveness...
Thoughts?
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, CC Scott had this to say:

CC Scott wrote:
Creating a new one in the correct forum then? If not:

Maybe he's trying to rehabilitate his public image :wink: .

Anyways I think I've come to the point where I believe that Iraq should just be divided. It was arbitrarily created by the British in the aftermath of WWI, following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, with no attention paid to the ethnic and religious makeup of the people there. In essence, there should actually be three nations there. (My 20th Century History university class coming in handy there)
CC Scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my posting in the other topic. As Biggie pointed out I said:

Maybe he's trying to rehabilitate his public image :wink: .

Anyways I think I've come to the point where I believe that Iraq should just be divided. It was arbitrarily created by the British in the aftermath of WWI, following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, with no attention paid to the ethnic and religious makeup of the people there. In essence, there should actually be three nations there. (My 20th Century History university class coming in handy there)
CC Scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully this topic won't be hijacked
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all his faults and evilness, I think Saddam wants to see Iraq succeed. The events of the past several years have proven beyond doubt that Iraq is a rough place. I am beginning to think that only methods as strong as the ones Saddam used can hold the place together. Since the US is not evil like Saddam, and not willing to kill all who oppose them with little or no provocation, I am beginning to doubt that this area of the world will ever rise above tribalism and religious and racial strife.

Especially with all the mullahs anxious to stir the pot there.
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddam's goals and actions have always been power-oriented. His behaviour is indicative of the culture he was raised in and his success depended on that tribal culture. Although Saddam was always secular (and hated by the devout as a result) he never hesitated to use religion to further his cause. If he can present himself to the courts as living correctly within the mores of his culture, his odds of survival increase. I suspect, in the short-term, freedom will remain beyond his grasp but Saddam is thinking long-term. He survived both Gulf Wars and remained in power after the first one. Survive today and, once Iraq is independent again, freedom tomorrow.

-Mac
biggie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they need a strong leader, with slow reform - similar to the way russia and china have approached it - they aren't perfect, but they are getting better.
don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He desperately hopes that he can escape his just desert with maipulations like this.
Ruth

Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5Reputation: 8.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac wrote:
Saddam's goals and actions have always been power-oriented. His behaviour is indicative of the culture he was raised in and his success depended on that tribal culture...

I totally agree.
This is a move to make himself look good and garner sympathy from the Iraqi public. I don't expect it to work.

--Ruth
FF_Canuck

votes: 17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think they need a strong leader, with slow reform - similar to the way russia and china have approached it - they aren't perfect, but they are getting better.

Though I have reservations about how quickly both are improving, I agree with your sentiment. I think this is the best we can hope for in both Afghanistan and Iraq. It worked in Japan and Germany, afterall.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwlafayette wrote:
For all his faults and evilness, I think Saddam wants to see Iraq succeed. The events of the past several years have proven beyond doubt that Iraq is a rough place. I am beginning to think that only methods as strong as the ones Saddam used can hold the place together. Since the US is not evil like Saddam, and not willing to kill all who oppose them with little or no provocation, I am beginning to doubt that this area of the world will ever rise above tribalism and religious and racial strife.

I agree with that. I think if Saddam was only concerned about his own personal power and not about Iraq, he would have fled Iraq instead of hiding in a hole to be caught. I'm certain Syria or some other nation would gladly harbor him and his fortune he could have smuggled out.
biggie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleatmop wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

I agree with that. I think if Saddam was only concerned about his own personal power and not about Iraq, he would have fled Iraq instead of hiding in a hole to be caught. I'm certain Syria or some other nation would gladly harbor him and his fortune he could have smuggled out.

Perhaps - but he is worth more as a martyr as well...
I'm not sure how radical islamic nations would like his presence... he was known to be against radical islam... he was quite secular in nature in fact (part of his problems with Iran). Iran and Syria can now use his martydom to spread their causes - despite the fact that they weren't really causes saddam supported.
Bleatmop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
Bleatmop wrote:
kwlafayette wrote:

Perhaps - but he is worth more as a martyr as well...
I'm not sure how radical islamic nations would like his presence... he was known to be against radical islam... he was quite secular in nature in fact (part of his problems with Iran). Iran and Syria can now use his martydom to spread their causes - despite the fact that they weren't really causes saddam supported.

Agreed. All valid points.

Jump to: