Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think Mr Harper's comments about an anti-Israel slant in the Liberal leadership candidates is accurate?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 11 ]
No
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Some of the candidates have this slant
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
It doesn't matter because the Conservatives shall form a constructive majority next election
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

don muntean

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Mr Harper's comments about an anti-Israel slant... Reply with quote

I feel that Mr. Harper's comment is fair - "This is consistent with the anti-Israeli position that has been taken by virtually all of the candidates for the Liberal leadership" - [in response to Michael Ignatieff's comments about Israel and war crimes]. Of course Michael Ignatieff hasn't retracted his comments - comments which demonstrate a seriously misguided position.

Last edited by don muntean on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 am; edited 2 times in total
biggie

votes: 10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's accurate. Thats not to say that I think the liberals agree with it - I don't think they're anti-semites.. I think they have all been catering to the loudest(Lebanon's) voices..

Of course, we know that many of the left atend rallies with Hezbollah flags flying high... who's to say. I'd like to think its just political maneuvering.

I find the reactions on Duffy by Rae and Kennedy hilarious. I shed a tear, all that whining - Its like a little kid dropping his ice cream. I thought Rae was going to start crying...

Nice sell boys, too bad Harper has being correct on his side ;)
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggie rection wrote:
I think it's accurate. Thats not to say that I think the liberals agree with it - I don't think they're anti-semites.. I think they have all been catering to the loudest(Lebanon's) voices..

Of course, we know that many of the left atend rallies with Hezbollah flags flying high... who's to say. I'd like to think its just political maneuvering.

I find the reactions on Duffy by Rae and Kennedy hilarious. I shed a tear, all that whining - Its like a little kid dropping his ice cream. I thought Rae was going to start crying...

Nice sell boys, too bad Harper has being correct on his side ;)

Yes - and as for that NDP turn-coat and the other guy - didn't Mr. Harper say "virtually all of the candidates" - why did they take it as directed at them?

Like you I don't think that the Liberal Party is over-run with anti-semites but - there are issues of slanted policy - biased against Israel and - it's not immaterial either - so I'm not sure why some think it is.
Matt

Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4Reputation: 40.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the statement was a little harmful, politically speaking, but I agree with what he meant.
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes - and as for that NDP turn-coat and the other guy - didn't Mr. Harper say "virtually all of the candidates" - why did they take it as directed at them?

yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion was urging Ignatieff to defend the war crimes comment a few days ago was he not?
Cool Blue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the statement was a little harmful, politically speaking, but I agree with what he meant.

Harper never does anything without realizing its effects down the road; the media hasn't caught up on this (apart from Paul Wells and Andrew Coyne).

They see this as Harper sticking his foot in his mouth. In reality, everything Harper does is planned out using game theory and the cost/benefit is analyzed.

He knew what he was doing and it won't harm the CPC:

1) the people who would be upset by his statement would never have voted CPC to begin with

2) it refinforces the hint of anti-semitism in the Libs, bringing more Jewish voters to the CPC

If you want proof read today's National Post. The wife of Liberal MP Irwin Cotler, the former justice minister, wrote a letter slamming the Liberals and announcing her premanent resignation from the party. In all likelihood Irwin himself will either also resign, or announce he's won't seek re-election.

F*** I love Harper!
McGuire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is brilliant politics. Who's gonna be offended by the statement. People like Robert "f*ck the Jews) McLelland, they are not who would vote for the CPC in the first place & they're the kinda people I wouldn't want support the CPC. But the PM has lobbed successfully a handgrenade in the leadership race & his put the candidates on the defensive. If they weren't they wouldn't be so quick to denounce Harper.
biggie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - He's made an excellent point, and at the same time has all of them with their backs to the wall. Plus, he kept a "scandal" in the spotlight. Today he went on to say that two of the candidates (volpe and Brison) defended Israel against Anti-Israel rhetoric when the initial attack on lebanon took place.
So effectively, he's making this into a much bigger deal than it is. Most people won't be offended by what the PM said - as he didn't say it about anyone EXCEPT the leadership candidates. And I think he'll have pulled a good portion of the jewish community that might currently vote liberal over to the Conservative side.
We all know how the Muslim congress etc.. feels - thats no change after all this hehehe.

The libs fell right into the trap too - They kept carrying on about it. They should have just dismissed it out of hand, as if it were so absurd they wouldn't even acknowledge it.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that the PM asked a "when did you last beat your wife" question, and got exactly the response he was looking for?
radicallyhip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Biggie Reaction.

As a general rule, everything Harper does is deliberate - his comments on the liberal leadership candidates being anti-israel are no exception. So Iggy's gaffe will now be a question in the leadership race and not a single one of the leading candidates can honestly claim to be neutral on the Israel question.
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone here - it seems that this issue is quite clear!
don muntean

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Blue wrote:
If you want proof read today's National Post. The wife of Liberal MP Irwin Cotler, the former justice minister, wrote a letter slamming the Liberals and announcing her premanent resignation from the party. In all likelihood Irwin himself will either also resign, or announce he's won't seek re-election.

Is that on their website? I couldn't find it.
DM Schwartz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear that there are a number of candidates that have chosen to take an anti-Israeli stance. Not because they hate Israel, but because it is the polar opposite of the Conservative Government.

It's an irrational stance that's going to hurt them more than it will help them in the end. Sounds like good news to me!
Mac

votes: 35

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don muntean wrote:
Is that on their website? I couldn't find it.

She wrote a letter to the editor of the National Post. I can't link directly but here's a link to a blogger who covered it.

http://www.proudtobecanadian.c.....its_party/

-Mac

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: