Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the same ... foreign sources wondering how "Canada" could have been so stupid as to put itself in its present position. This from the New York Times ...

Quote:
... David Mulroney, a former Canadian ambassador to China, said President Trump’s suggestion that he might seek to drop the American case against Ms. Meng in exchange for trade concessions from China risks fueling the view that she has been detained in a political process, not a judicial one.

“It’s tremendously unhelpful,” Mr. Mulroney said. “It plays into the Chinese argument that Canada is a vassal state and only carries water for the United States.”

When asked about the American president’s comments, Mr. Trudeau told reporters in Ottawa, “Regardless of what goes on in other countries, Canada is and will always remain a country with the rule of law.”

While China has warned Canada that it faces consequences for not releasing Ms. Meng, Mr. Mulroney said it was unlikely to take any significant economic actions, although he, like many in Canada, sees the detention of a former Canadian diplomat in Beijing as related.

Other experts suggested that Mr. Trudeau’s efforts to negotiate a free trade deal with China, which were already struggling, will be moribund for the foreseeable future.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/12/world/canada/canada-china-meng-huawei.html?fb=1&recb=published-assets-bq.thompson_sampling&recid=1EOQQtmt9J3nmPoXJ7ceAfQnuu9&mi_u=57581535

Apparently, I am not the only one any more. Trudeau responded with another of his inanely platitudinous parables about the rule of law. If TC can figure out the relevance he should tell us what is. But it's an error ... For the record, Canada is ruled by a monarch, and law is something that officials can use, or not use, as they wish. And that's the truth.
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Oh this should be fun.

Before I start, you don't do any investigating of any one before accepting their premises or thoughts do you?

I only ask, with sincerity of course because if you had you would have known the following.....
Bugs wrote:
This is a video that is done by a Brit <Greek> and a Yank <Cypriot> that is bad because they are pretty stupid guys.

Hmm lets see....

Christoforou is American who writes lovely Pro-Putin Prose for Russians news. He owns the Pro-Putin website The Duran LOL!

Mercouris is a Brit. He is ...oops was a Lawyer who was stripped of his licence to practice for fraud, claiming he also was kidnapped and has been charged with forgery.Oh oh oh....he writes Pro-Putin Prose for the Pro-Russian webiste The Duran.

Yup, even a half wit would know to steer clear. But when its hard to get info to back absurd and silly claims, I guess you do scrap the bottom of a barrel .

Not to mention one hopes the smarter people out there dont cotton on to your stupidity.

Alas.... LOL!
Quote:

They discuss their view of Canada in the whole video but gets more focussed on what TC and I have been arguing .. well, I've been arguing

Come on now buttercup. Youve been woefully short in this thread and have barely made one comment thats considered smart. Its all feels and stupidity. You really need to move on to a new thread and leave because you have been thoroughly humiliated in this one.

Quote:

, and he's been raging ...

Not really unless one counts your stupidity. So yea, I can see how you wouldnt be able to discern the diff.

Just know this before reading the bugs quote. This is coming from a Pro-Putin website.
Quote:

The last 4 minutes or so discuss what is happening to Canada's place in the world. Canada, after all, has bungled itself into having its ass kicked by the two biggest economices in the world, plus Saudi Arabia ... and Crystia would probably have done the same thing to Japan if she'd had the chance.

If any of you want to be as dumb as a brick and a complete moron then go ahead and...
Quote:

Do yourself a disfavour and watch the whole video.

Oh bugsie....you silly boy.

First support pedos and now you are a Putin praiser. Who's ass tastes better, the ornage idiots or your fantasy circle jerk Putin ?

Enquiring minds want to know.

LOL!
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Toronto Centre"]LOL! Oh this should be fun.

Before I start, you don't do any investigating of any one before accepting their premises or thoughts do you?

I only ask, with sincerity of course because if you had you would have known the following.....
Bugs wrote:
This is a video that is done by a Brit <Greek> and a Yank <Cypriot> that is bad because they are pretty stupid guys.

Hmm lets see....

Christoforou is American who writes lovely Pro-Putin Prose for Russians news. He owns the Pro-Putin website The Duran LOL!

Mercouris is a Brit. He is ...oops was a Lawyer who was stripped of his licence to practice for fraud, claiming he also was kidnapped and has been charged with forgery.Oh oh oh....he writes Pro-Putin Prose for the Pro-Russian webiste The Duran.

Yup, one should know to steer clear. But when its hard to get info to back absurd and silly claims, I guess one does scrape the bottom of a barrel .

Not to mention one hopes the smarter people out there dont cotton on to your duplicity.

Alas.... LOL!
Quote:

They discuss their view of Canada in the whole video but gets more focussed on what TC and I have been arguing .. well, I've been arguing

Come on now buttercup. Youve been woefully short in this thread and have barely made one comment thats considered informed. Its all feels . You really need to move on to a new thread and leave because this one has been a sorry lot for ya.

Quote:

, and he's been raging ...

Not really unless one counts your lack of education on this. So yea, I can see how you wouldnt be able to discern the diff.

Just know this before reading the bugs quote. This is coming from a Pro-Putin website.
Quote:

The last 4 minutes or so discuss what is happening to Canada's place in the world. Canada, after all, has bungled itself into having its ass kicked by the two biggest economices in the world, plus Saudi Arabia ... and Crystia would probably have done the same thing to Japan if she'd had the chance.

If any of you want to be as low hanging fruit then go ahead and...
Quote:

Do yourself a disfavour and watch the whole video.

Oh bugsie....
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't give a ____ what you think. I try to ignore time-wasters. The young guy calls himself a Cypriot. i dunno ... You're right, I don't examine the pedigree of any video-makers. Disregard the way I describe them if you want. But I should point out that it's entirely possible to be both an American and a Cypriot at the same time.

The point is that they are Europeans in their souls, and they have seen their own spiritual homes wrecked by finance. Cyprus froze bank accounts! Greece got its standard of lviing dramatically lowered. They aren't all rah-rah about the EU and they know a lot. They often have a jaundiced eye on America, too.

All I meant to do was bring this material to the forum. You have to admit, this is not a routine, happens-every-day extradition ... as you would have it. Sorry, no, this is a highly unusual, some say shocking event, and makes Canada look foolish. The rational thing to do was to go through the ritual, arraign her and let her go on her own recognizance. And she would flee the country, and peace would return to the valley.

And between you and I, I suspect that this was done to screw up the trade truce by dark forces -- Ambassador Boulton? So it could be something that Trump would understand.

I am not here to follow a party line. I concede, many are, including you, TC. I have tried to read your stuff, but I am talking about a non-regular extradition ... there is some confusion about the necessity of the arrest in the first place I will concede. But you know, the name of the procedure is called a REQUEST FOR EXTRADITION. It has to be ruled on by a judge. Presumably, he can say no. Sadly we have a Canadian judge, worse, a British Columbian judge, but at least the procedure is there.

Ask yourself -- who else in her position of eminence in real life has to wear an ankle-bracelet after putting up $3 milion in cash, plus $7 million in sureties! That bail was the thing that makes us a vassal state in the eyes of the world. Argue with that!

Ýou might as well know, I have l read your shit, but I just don't take you seriously. It would be more accurate to say I have no respect for you. It isn't that you have a different point of view -- it's that I am not going to give any respect to someone who has nothing in his intellectual quiver but insults and mockery. You edit my remarks and even change the words you appear to be quoting ... in order to respond to the non-essentials. It's a technique. You use it to duck the main point.

For instance, this is about how Canada looks on the world stage as a result of stupidly offending the two biggest economies in the world, to the point where there is retaliation against equally innocent Canadians in China. You go on a character assassination, insult binge. But what you don't do is go the issues that are raised. You defend the Dauphin ... and that's all.

You say they run are a pro-Putin website ... which first, isn't true, and secondly, is closer to character assassination than a rational response to the material. Mecouris appears on RT, but so does Lionel Nation. That doesn't mean they want to nationalize the banking system or collectivize some farms.

They do treat Russia realistically, including the aspirations of the Russians.

For the record, this is closer to what the world is thinking than what the Globe&Mail is telling Canadians right now. But trust me, on Bay Street, in trade associations and the like -- they are noticing. Their eyes narrow, they say nothing ...

But now that you revealed this notorious pair, you can respond to what they are saying about the vassal state of Canada ... (China's claim, not Mecouris) ... How do you, TC. explain the bail? Whatever else, it sacrifices the national interest to the someone else's fight. Which would make us a vassal state, would it not?
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of the same ... CBC interviews Prof. Jeffrey Sachs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Ta_RhsXYY

These are not my usual political teammates. but that's my point -- people of every stripe are speaking out. I can't explain the timing of the move, which blows up in the face of the President. Would Trump do that? The claim is he didn't know!

But my focus is on le Dauphin. Or whoever answers the phone in the PMO when the US Department of Justice calls. How do we prevent ourselves from being put in these situations?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is a quote from the video for those who don't want to watch ....Added later:

Quote:
... The arrest of a Chinese tech executive is yet another example that the U.S. is creating "a new Cold War" in international trade, says economist Jeffrey Sachs, who adds that Canada is abetting its southern neighbour.

Canadian officials arrested Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of the Chinese telecommunications firm Huawei, in Vancouver on an extradition request from the U.S. She has been released on $10-million bail and must stay at her Vancouver home.

Sachs — director of Columbia University's Center for Sustainable Development and the UN's Sustainable Development Solutions Network — believes the arrest is an attempt by the U.S. to "stop China's rise" by creating a chilling effect on Chinese businesses.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-us-huawei-arrest-international-trade-cold-war-jeffrey-sachs-1.4947966
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I couldn't give a ____ what you think.

Hmm...I see. But you continually reply so...

Quote:
I try to ignore time-wasters.

Ok, understood. Glad to know I dont waste your time.
Quote:

The point is that they are Europeans in their souls, and they have seen their own spiritual homes wrecked by finance. Cyprus froze bank accounts! Greece got its standard of lviing dramatically lowered. They aren't all rah-rah about the EU and they know a lot. They often have a jaundiced eye on America, too.

One lives in Cali and the other in Britain.
That aside , what does Greece have to do with an arrest in Vancouver ?

Pretty much nothing.
Quote:

All I meant to do was bring this material to the forum.

Then make it tangible, connect the two, so far you have not done so.

Check out sources where they come from.

Presumably at some time, the KKK wrote something nice about Black folks. Doesnt mean anyone should bring that material to the forum since it is useless .

Quote:

You have to admit, this is not a routine, happens-every-day extradition ... as you would have it. Sorry, no, this is a highly unusual, some say shocking event, and makes Canada look foolish. The rational thing to do was to go through the ritual, arraign her and let her go on her own recognizance. And she would flee the country, and peace would return to the valley.

Please make a point without directly contradicting yourself.

For one, it is unusual but extraditions are the norm. Because of the players involved it is somewhat unseemly and now of course the orange idiot is making it look as if this was a political ploy. It is also our way out of this. (as mentioned we have Minister discretion)
Quote:

And between you and I, I suspect that this was done to screw up the trade truce by dark forces -- Ambassador Boulton? So it could be something that Trump would understand.

I don't think it was done for political reasons. Trump didnt even know but now that he does it muddies the waters.
Quote:

... there is some confusion about the necessity of the arrest in the first place I will concede.] But you know, the name of the procedure is called a REQUEST FOR EXTRADITION. It has to be ruled on by a judge. Presumably, he can say no. Sadly we have a Canadian judge, worse, a British Columbian judge, but at least the procedure is there.

The request and the machinations of same was spelled out for you much earlier. Your scenario is the problem I have continually addressed. When you are directed to legitimate info from credible sources you just keep the bogus scenario running.

Its almost as if you keep saying the sun rises in the west it will someday come true.
Quote:

Ask yourself -- who else in her position of eminence in real life has to wear an ankle-bracelet after putting up $3 milion in cash, plus $7 million in sureties! That bail was the thing that makes us a vassal state in the eyes of the world. Argue with that!

Sure no problem.

By putting the $10M up in sureties it is done so that it reduces any chance of being a flight risk. She offered it up IIRC.

If she bolts, she loses the surety. Works for me.
Quote:

Ýou might as well know, I have l read your shit, but I just don't take you seriously. It would be more accurate to say I have no respect for you.

Oh I get that.

But theres the thing, I have been , on this thread anyway, giving you all the info from all the official sources on why we do this and that.

You have been thoroughly embarassed by this thread since you keep on throwing in your feels as if that has any relativity.

You dont take me seriously you say mere days after ranting and raging about things such as the courts have a publication bans ...arrrgh this is a banana republic blah blah blah...when in fact you should have known that was the arrested ladies request.

Face it, You really have no respect for yourself nor the truth. You should know these things before you rant.

Quote:

It isn't that you have a different point of view -- it's that I am not going to give any respect to someone who has nothing in his intellectual quiver but insults and mockery.

I do insults and mockery when i come across posts full of stupid and inane things that patently show the person making such posts has no fucking clue what they are talking about.
Shall I list the items you have so royally screwed up and have no idea about? It wont be pretty should you say yes.
Quote:

For instance, this is about how Canada looks on the world stage as a result of stupidly offending the two biggest economies in the world, to the point where there is retaliation against equally innocent Canadians in China. You go on a character assassination, insult binge. But what you don't do is go the issues that are raised. You defend the Dauphin ... and that's all.

Thats just it.

There is no world stage we look bad on about this.

Every single country, including China understand that we were asked to do a job, persuant to an agreement many many nations have also signed . I will bet you plenty of foreign affair offices have gulped and said glad they didnt ask us for her.
Quote:

You say they run are a pro-Putin website ... which first, isn't true, and secondly, is closer to character assassination than a rational response to the material.

Oh please, this is exactly what your problem is. When you get called out for spouting pro-putin websites you simply deny the reality.

Those two idiots are not worth the time . YOu have pleny of other options.

Quote:

For the record, this is closer to what the world is thinking than what the Globe&Mail is telling Canadians right now. But trust me, on Bay Street, in trade associations and the like -- they are noticing. Their eyes narrow, they say nothing ...

Trust you? You dont even know what the F an extradition treaty is, how it works, how common it is, what they entail and I am to trust you?

Not a f***ing chance.

And you couldnt live farther away from Bay St if you tried. Youre just an angry old dude who hates lawyers and fags.
Quote:

But now that you revealed this notorious pair, you can respond to what they are saying about the vassal state of Canada ... (China's claim, not Mecouris) ... How do you, TC. explain the bail? Whatever else, it sacrifices the national interest to the someone else's fight. Which would make us a vassal state, would it not?

China is surprised about how rule of law we are. Fine, too bad for them.

Explain the bail? Um.....she posts the bail since she is considered a flight risk.

And thank you for asking this questions as it goes directly to what you were talking about earlier....and that I touched on.

So.....about that bail . You should have known this.......
Quote:
VANCOUVER — Huawei Technologies chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou offered to post the equivalent of $15 million bail and wear an electronic monitoring bracelet if she is released from a Vancouver jail.

Meng, 46, appeared in a Vancouver court Monday, seeking bail while awaiting an extradition hearing on U.S. charges of fraud.
The pledge came on the second day of a bail hearing in the high-profile case that’s transfixed investors on both sides of the Pacific as it stokes U.S.-China trade tensions.

Martin (<her lawyer) also proposed surveillance of Meng by former police officers who work for a security company or through an ankle bracelet that has been used by another firm in more than 500 cases. He also suggested his client could be supervised by both companies in what he said would be an unprecedented arrangement, telling the court Meng would pay for it.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/protester-says-canada-doing-u-s-dirty-work-outside-huawei-execs-bail-hearing

So, a rudimentary understanding of this issue would mean you know...
1) She requested the publication ban.
2) She offered up the $10+ M bail
3) She offered up the ankle bracelet.

You have used all three to make your case, not understanding that you were sunk before the ink was dry of your thoughts or feels as it were.

Its not that you dont respect me, its just you spouting off since it has been shown you havent a clue what you are talking about.

Get a clue and come back.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what she requested. When did you last year of a bail that high in Canada? It's the right of the Canadian people -- whp are likely going to suffer the consequences of this dumb decision -- to know the details of this secret proceeding, is it not?

But you're right about one thing ... I should just ignore you.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I don't care what she requested.

So let me see if I have this right.

You have spent four or more pages raging about the bail and vassal state , all the while not knowing it was she who suggested/recommended it .....
and now you dont care that she did.

Thats some convoluted thinking there bugs.
Quote:

When did you last year of a bail that high in Canada?

If heard of higher in the US.

But again, she requested that amount. The judge said 'Ok then' . Voila...bail.

Last one I recall in USA was Suge Knight , $25M .
There have of course been much much larger in history but then again, this is all irrelevant.

Ever seen a Billion dollar bail bond ? It has happened. Again, irrelevant.
Quote:

It's the right of the Canadian people -- whp are likely going to suffer the consequences of this dumb decision -- to know the details of this secret proceeding, is it not?

And again, here is your problem in a nutshell.

There is no secret proceeding. There is a publication ban that presumably will be lifted once the court case begins.

And once again...... SHE requested it.

If you are so concerned, call Meng yourself and rant to her how this looks so bad from your small town Ontario.

And when she is done laughing , she will hang up. K ?
Quote:

But you're right about one thing ... I should just ignore you.

But you wont. And you wont educate yourself on this either.

Keep up with the feels and emotion, it is all you have. No facts , no understanding of the case, no comprehension how a Court can agree with an accused request for bail/publication ban .

And probably worse of all is you have no disdain for the Yanks who requested it , and who now, at least the orange idiot you have your lips locked on his ass, seem to want to make this a political thing.

Once again, embarrassment is your friend on this case .

Enjoy it.
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Canadian detained in China, Global Affairs says
Facebook

Officials not linking latest arrest to the recent diplomatic turbulence
CBC News · Posted: Dec 19, 2018 8:18 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

A third Canadian has been taken into custody in China, according to Global Affairs Canada.

Canadian officials declined to provide any detail about who the individual is or why they are being detained, citing privacy concerns.

"Global Affairs Canada is aware of a Canadian citizen detained in China. Consular officials are providing assistance to the family," said spokesperson Maegan Graveline

A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said Canadian officials found out about the detention on Tuesday by someone who knows the latest detainee — not by Chinese officials.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing on Wednesday that she had not heard of the third detention.

The latest arrest, first reported by the National Post, comes amid growing tensions between Canada and China. [....]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-detained-china-third-1.4951950
==================================================
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian surveillance plane buzzed by Chinese off North Korea, DND reveals
CDS Jonathan Vance said Chinese crews flew too close to Canadian aircraft - and used 'inappropriate language'

Murray Brewster · CBC News · Posted: Dec 19, 2018 5:20 PM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

A Canadian military surveillance aircraft monitoring United Nations sanctions was harassed in international airspace off North Korea by the Chinese military — part of "a pattern of behaviour that's inappropriate," Canada's top military commander said Wednesday.

The incident involving a CP-140 Aurora, which has since returned home, took place in October as allied nations monitored the sea lanes for cargo ships and tankers intent on violating embargoes imposed on North Korea by the UN Security Council.

"We have been interfered with on our flights in the area and been challenged inappropriately in international airspace," Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Jonathan Vance said in a year-end interview with CBC News.

The Chinese, he said, flew too close to the sophisticated maritime patrol planes, used improper radio procedure and "inappropriate language."

Vance referred questions about the specifics to National Defence officials, who were less than forthcoming.

They conceded having "contact with the Chinese Air Force operating" near North Korea and insisted that "at no time were our crews or aircraft put at risk."

Tensions with China spiking
Japan, Australia and New Zealand also have conducted enforcement flights and Vance said their aircrews have experienced similar harassment.

Some in the diplomatic community, speaking on background Wednesday, said they see the incidents as China attempting to remind the West that they're in a region that is very sensitive to them — one where they are the predominant power.

The badgering involving the Canadian patrol aircraft happened before the recent spike in tension over Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei — including the arrest in Vancouver of a top company executive, Meng Wanzhou, 46, and the detention of three Canadian citizens in China.

Canadian warship HMCS Calgary and the supply ship MV Asterix recently returned to Esquimalt, B.C. from sanction enforcement patrols in the North Korea region.

Vance said their experience was different and they "did not face overt interference, but it's made very clear to anybody that's in that region that you're in China."

The Canadian military has, along with its allies, also faced "a persistent cyber threat that we are relatively well-poised to counter," said Vance. [....]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/chinese-korea-embargo-aircraft-buzzed-harassment-1.4953093
================================================

Now's the time for Trudeau to intervene. It's a perfect time to test his philosophy of Speak-loudly-and-carry-a-little-stick ...
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudis fall $1.8B behind in arms deal with Canada
Dec 19 2018 — Postmedia

Saudi Arabia has fallen behind in making payments on its $15-billion arms deal with Canada, a contract that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said he’s looking for ways to halt. The Saudi government was short $1.8 billion in payments to the end of September for light-armoured vehicles assembled at General Dynamics Land Systems Canada (GDLS) […]
=================================================

Everybody seems to be taking a shot at us. Perhaps Crystia can point out their lack of respect to the world as retaliation ...
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada working in 'concerted, organized way' to secure release of 2 citizens detained in China, Freeland says

The foreign affairs minister calls the arrest of 2 Canadians a 'worrying precedent'
The Associated Press · Posted: Dec 22, 2018 10:40 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says China's detention of two Canadian citizens in apparent retaliation for the arrest of a top Chinese tech executive is a worrying precedent that has resonated with allies.

Freeland said Saturday on a conference call with reporters that it's an issue that concerns partners around the world, and Canada will continue having discussions about it.

Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat and an adviser with the International Crisis Group ICG think-tank, and Michael Spavor, a businessman, were detained last week.

"Canada absolutely has options and Canada is working hard in a very concerted, organized way to secure the release of Mr. Kovrig and Mr. Spavor," Freeland said.

U.S. joins Freeland in condemning 'arbitrary detention' of Canadians and calls for 'immediate release'
Canadian held in China denied access to his lawyers: employer
Canada spoke strongly on Friday in making its first demand for China to immediately release its citizens. The U.S., the U.K. and the EU also issued statements in support of Canada.

"We are very hard at work. We understand that working co-operatively, collectively with allies, is a very effective way for Canada to work in the world and that is what we have been doing," Freeland said.

Meng Wanzhou, a top executive of Chinese telecom giant Huawei, was arrested in Vancouver on Dec. 1 at the request of the U.S., which wants her extradited.

Meng, 46, was released on bail last week, under strict conditions, including that she must wear an ankle monitor and stay at her Vancouver home from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Freeland said Chinese authorities had not drawn a direct connection between the detention of the two men and the Huawei executive's arrest.

'Worrying precedent'
Canadian analysts and former diplomats said they have no doubt the cases are linked.

"One point we have been raising with our allies ... is the concern about the worrying precedent that the arbitrary detention of these two Canadians sets. That's a point that has really resonated," said Freeland. [....]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-teleconference-canadians-in-china-1.4957341
================================================

Of course, they are linked. None of the people being held -- including Meng -- are criminals or fugitives from justice. Meng may be a fugitive from US trade policy, but what obligation does a Chinese person have to obey the US Department of Trade?

Hopefully, she'll have more success than she's had so far. Why doesn't she go to China and hang out in some mandarin's outer office, waiting for an appointment?

Is she 100% phoney or is can she actually stop posing long enough to get anything useful done?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the conservatives are not interested in a free trade deal with China , a trade deal a lot of people have concerns about due to human rights and other concerns )

Andrew Scheer rules out free trade deal with China

Rachel Gilmore, Power Play producer
Published Sunday, December 23, 2018 7:00AM EST
Last Updated Sunday, December 23, 2018 8:09AM EST

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says he would not pursue a free trade deal with China if he were prime minister.

“We don’t have the same types of systems, we don’t see the transparency and accountability in the Chinese economy. We know there is a lot of state owned enterprises,” Scheer said during an episode of CTV’s Question Period airing Sunday.

“We’re a long way from talking about a free trade deal.”

Canada has been eyeing a potential free trade agreement with China for some time, although talks slowed in late 2017 after Chinese leaders learned that Canada was interested in an agreement with protections for labour, gender and Indigenous rights. A second push for a deal – or even smaller sector-by-sector agreements – was underway in November when Canadian officials visited China. However, anything concrete has yet to emerge.

Trade talks between the two countries face another roadblock after tensions between Canada and China ratcheted up in recent weeks. The Dec. 2 arrest of Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver, pending her extradition to the United States, has been painted by the Chinese as an illegal detention. Since Meng’s arrest, three Canadian citizens have been detained in China.

Trump threatens interference

U.S. President Donald Trump complicated matters further when he took to Twitter to mull interfering in the extradition case in order to gain leverage in his own trade talks with China.

It’s a comment that Scheer found concerning.

“We would never accept a prime minister saying, well, maybe I’ll intervene and use a trade issue as a link to an independent investigation into criminal activity. It raises a lot of concerns,” he said.

Scheer would ban Huawei from Canada’s 5G network

The telecom giant hasn’t only been in the news because of the arrest of its CFO. Huawei has also been banned from participating in 5G networks in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

As Canada looks to have its own next-generation 5G wireless network established in the coming years, Canadian officials are wrestling with whether the company should be allowed to participate.

Scheer, however, said he would absolutely not allow Huawei to become part of Canada’s 5G telecommunications network.

“The government of China has admitted that they’ve been involved in cyber infiltrations around the world and in governments. We can’t have this naïve approach with the regime in China,” Scheer told Question Period host Evan Solomon.

“There are a lot of real concerns here.”

Some of those concerns, according to national security experts, include Huawei’s potential link to the Chinese government. Once Canada develops its next-generation 5G wireless network, there’s a risk that Huawei’s participation could facilitate Chinese spy agencies in their effort to gather intelligence abroad.

Huawei has denied the existence of such a link between their operations and the Chinese government.

"All Western countries recognize that China has a different approach to acquiring intelligence and information abroad. It's what we call spying… There's an issue with large Chinese corporations who have real links with the Chinese government," Richard Fadden, a former national security adviser to multiple prime ministers, said on Question Period in early December.

"Once Huawei is in, we will never get them out. So I think there's a need for real solidarity here amongst the Five Eyes," Fadden said, referring to the alliance between intelligence agencies in the U.S., Canada, New Zealand, the U.K. and Australia.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/andrew-scheer-rules-out-free-trade-deal-with-china-1.4228729
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unstated in this news coverage is that our rulers are concerned that China will do the same thing to us that Google has already done.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Of course, they are linked. None of the people being held -- including Meng -- are criminals or fugitives from justice.

Is fraud not a crime?

Of course it is.

Add in the fact that she agreed to abide restrictions from dealing with Iran , as an executive of a company operating in the USA <important part to remember> and then lied about it means she is a fugitive.

Really....not hard to grasp yet you continue down the same wrong path. Wake up !
Quote:

Meng may be a fugitive from US trade policy, but what obligation does a Chinese person have to obey the US Department of Trade?

She operated in the US. Thus.....she is obligated. SOS I see.
Quote:

Hopefully, she'll have more success than she's had so far. Why doesn't she go to China and hang out in some mandarin's outer office, waiting for an appointment?

Is she 100% phoney or is can she actually stop posing long enough to get anything useful done?

She is doing a stellar job . And you know it. A woman to boot! LOL!

Thats why your posts are full of venom and stupidity .

She now has backing of major countries putting pressure on China. UK, Aus and so on.

Oh my....the misogynist strikes out again!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: