Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Edmonton ndp mp Linda Duncan retiring Reply with quote

( at the rate of ndp mp's retiring , there might not even be an ndp caucus going into the 2019 election . although this mp was less of a surprise as she's been mp since 2008 and perhaps ready for retirement )

Linda Duncan not seeking reelection in 2019

Linda Duncan
NDP MP Linda Duncan speaks during a news conference in Ottawa on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010. (Adrian Wyld / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Julia Parrish
Julia Parrish, Web Reporter, CTV Edmonton

@JuliaParrishCTV
Published Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:16AM MDT

The longtime NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona announced Tuesday that she will not seek reelection in 2019.

Linda Duncan was first elected to represent the south side riding in 2008, and was re-elected in 2011 and 2015.

“I have been deeply touched by every single person who thanked me for my service, or said they hoped I will run again in 2019,” Duncan said in a statement. “It is the wonderful people of Edmonton Strathcona that have kept me energized. I am profoundly grateful that they elected me three times.”

Duncan is not stepping down as MP, she said she will continue to represent her riding until the next federal election, expected to take place in October 2019.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/linda-duncan-not-seeking-reelection-in-2019-1.4071007
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmonton Strathcona MP Linda Duncan not seeking reelection in 2019

Trevor Robb
Updated: August 28, 2018

Edmonton-Strathcona MP Linda Duncan. Ian Kucerak / Postmedia

Linda Duncan, Alberta’s only federal NDP member, announced Tuesday she will not be seeking reelection in 2019.

She announced her decision on social media.

“After a decade of being honoured to represent Edmonton Strathcona, I have decided I will not be seeking the nomination for the Fall 2019 federal election,” Duncan wrote. “I have been deeply touched by every single person who has thanked me for my service, or said they hoped I will run again in 2019. It is the wonderful people of Edmonton Strathcona that have kept me energized. ”

Duncan has represented Edmonton Strathcona since 2008, winning election three times. Duncan will continue as MP for the region until the next election, in October 2019.

“Rest assured that over this coming year I will continue working hard inside and outside the House of Commons with my NDP colleagues to hold the government accountable for its responsibilities to Canadians, in particular keeping front and centre those in greatest need.”

More to come…

https://lfpress.com/news/politics/edmonton-strathcona-mp-linda-duncan-not-seeking-reelection-in-2019/wcm/df4de2c6-1e1d-498d-a9e9-a59ba113795c
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDP’s Duncan not running in next federal election

By Peter Robb. Published on Aug 28, 2018 10:36am

NDP MP Linda Duncan. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

The only federal NDP MP in Alberta has announced that she will not be running in the next federal election.

Edmonton-Strathcona’s Linda Duncan broke the news on Tuesday morning in a statement.

“While I will continue to represent my constituency until the next election, it is time to pass the torch to another.

I have been deeply touched by every single person who has thanked me for my service, or said they hoped I will run again in 2019. It is the wonderful people of Edmonton Strathcona that have kept me energized. I am profoundly grateful that they elected me three times.

Duncan is the seventh sitting NDP MP to step down. Her announcement came a day after London-Fanshawe NDP MP Irene Mathyssen went public with her own decision to not run again.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/08/28/ndps-duncan-not-running-in-next-federal-election/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singh has lost an incredible amount of talent within his caucus since being elected leader.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Singh has lost an incredible amount of talent within his caucus since being elected leader.

out of 44 mp's elected in 2015 , 7 have said they won't run again in 2019 , 1 was kicked out of caucus ( Erin Weir SK )

according to David Akin a couple have said they'll run again , ( Rachel Blaney BC , Niki Ashton Manitoba , Sherri Benson SK and Charlie Angus ONT also said he'd run again )

but that leaves 32 ndp mp's yet to declare and unclear who is running again or not , but looking more and more like a much smaller ndp caucus after the 2019 election unless something drastic happens

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 17h17 hours ago

Heard from the following #MPs in the last few days that they’ll seek re-election in #elxn43: #LPC @RodgerCuzner @beynate @SeanCaseyLPC @Chris_Bittle #CPC: @Alupa_Clarke @TonyclementCPC @blainecalkinsmp @HonStevenBlaney @JohnBrassardCPC : #NDP: @RABlaney @nikiashton @sherirbenson
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( 3 more ndp mp's are saying they plan to run again , but high profile mp Nathan Cullen remains undecided )

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 3h3 hours ago

FWIW: Three #NDP MPs have confirmed to me they are running in #elxn43: Veteran @BrianMasseMP (up for his 7th general election) + @DonDavies (fourth upcoming) & @MattDube (3rd upcoming) #cdnpoli

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 44m44 minutes ago

As for the #NDP: Checked in on @nathancullen today — still recovering from appendectomy — and his #elxn43 intentions remain undecided at this point.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( David akin keeps posting the intentions of various mp's , a couple more ndp mp's are saying they'll run again but a rookie mp from Hamilton Scott Duval is currently undecided at this point , which is a surprise )

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 6h6 hours ago

Confirmed today that they’ll run for re-elxn for the #NDP: @PLDusseault and @r_garrison | Undecided still: @sduvall07 #cdnpoli

------------

so of there 44 mp's from 2015

7 are retiring ( which is 15 % of there current caucus ) , 1 was kicked out of caucus , 2 are undecided about 2019 , 9 have confirmed they plan to run again and 25 have yet to say anything
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 19h19 hours ago

Confirmed today the following #NDP MPs running again in #elxn43: @CarolHughesMP @JennyKwanBC Undecided: @MooreNpd #cdnpoli

-----------------------------

7 retiring , 1 out of caucus , 3 undecided , 11 plan to run again , 22 said nothing about there plans
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Akin 🇨🇦‏Verified account @davidakin · 21h21 hours ago

Continuing to canvass MPs about their 2019 #elxn43 intentions. Today’s these #NDP MPs told me they’re in: @alexboulerice @bsansoucynpd but @AnneMTQuach won’t say yet. #cdnpoli

------------------------------------

7 retiring , 1 out of caucus , 4 undecided , 13 plan to run again , 19 said nothing about plans
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagmeet Singh's NDP is losing incumbents and that could hurt in 2019

Seven NDP MPs have announced they will not run for re-election or have already stepped aside

Éric Grenier · CBC News · Posted: Aug 29, 2018 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: August 29

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh will run in the riding of Burnaby South when a byelection is called to replace Kennedy Stewart, one of seven NDP MPs elected in 2015 not running again in 2019. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)

797 comments

The list of New Democrats deciding not to run in 2019 is growing, depriving the party of experienced MPs and the electoral advantages of incumbency in some key ridings across the country.

Two names were added to the list this week: Linda Duncan, the NDP's only MP from Alberta, and London-area MP Irene Mathyssen.

In addition to these two, the NDP will be without the services of at least five other MPs going into the 2019 federal election, including Ontario MP David Christopherson and Quebec MPs Hélène Laverdière and Roméo Saganash​.

Former NDP leader Tom Mulcair has already stepped aside and B.C. MP Kennedy Stewart has announced his intentions to resign his seat as he makes a bid for the mayor's office in Vancouver.

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has said he will run for Stewart's seat when the byelection in Burnaby South is called.

These are significant losses for the party. Duncan has been the federal NDP's lone voice in Alberta ever since she was first elected in 2008. With Christopherson and Mathyssen leaving, Jenny Kwan, a former B.C. provincial cabinet minister, is the only MP in Singh's caucus with any cabinet experience — both Christopherson and Mathyssen served in Bob Rae's NDP government in Ontario in the early 1990s.

Laverdière and Saganash were two of the party's higher profile MPs in Quebec, with Laverdière twice defeating former Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe in his own riding. Mulcair's byelection victory in Outremont in 2007 was the first step in the party's breakthrough in Quebec in 2011.

These departures thin a front bench that had already been pared down in 2015 after the losses of big names like Jack Harris and Megan Leslie in Atlantic Canada, Françoise Boivin and Nycole Turmel in Quebec, and Paul Dewar and Peggy Nash in Ontario, among others.

Bigger share of NDP MPs opting out

But it is not only the clout of the MPs sitting out the next election that should be of some concern to the NDP. As a share of caucus, more NDP MPs are not running again than in 2015. After winning 103 seats in 2011, about 13 per cent of that caucus did not run for re-election four years later.

The NDP is already up to 16 per cent of its initial caucus of 44 with another year to go before the next election campaign officially kicks off. The number of New Democrats who have decided not to go for another term is roughly the same as the number of Conservatives and Liberals — combined — who have come to the same conclusion.

It is also similar to the total cumulative number of NDP MPs who did not try for re-election in the 2004, 2006, 2008 and 2011 elections.

It could be that New Democrats don't like their chances in 2019. The party has not raised a lot of money under Singh and it is scoring below its 2015 result in recent polls.

Yet, there is a natural cycle to MPs choosing not to run for re-election. Christopherson was first elected to federal office in 2004, Mathyssen in 2006 and Duncan in 2008. Some of those who are retiring now might have done so before the 2015 federal election if the NDP didn't have a serious chance of winning it.

And with two majority governments in a row, the gap between elections has gotten longer. There were four elections held between 2004 and 2011, when the party had fewer incumbents stepping down. But whether these departures signify a deeper malaise within the NDP or not, they still have the potential to hurt the party.

Losing incumbents loses votes

The electoral impact of the resignations of Stewart and Mulcair will be decided when byelections are called in Burnaby South and Outremont, likely before the end of the year.

Christopherson won Hamilton Centre by 12 percentage points over the Liberals in 2015 and the city is a stronghold for the NDP. The riding might be safe.

Even though Duncan won Edmonton Strathcona by a margin of 13 percentage points over the Conservatives in 2015, the debate over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion — which has pitted Singh against his fellow New Democrat, Alberta Premier Rachel Notley — could take a toll on the federal party's chances.

NDP MPs Linda Duncan, standing, and Irene Mathyssen, seated, left, announced this week that they would not be running again in 2019. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)

Laverdière beat Duceppe by 10 points in Laurier–Sainte-Marie but the NDP's support in Quebec has dropped significantly. The Liberals were only six points behind Mathyssen in London–Fanshawe and five points behind Saganash in Abitibi–Baie-James–Nunavik–Eeyou.

Losing a familiar name on the ballot will not help the New Democrats in these tight races.

In 2015, the NDP averaged a loss of 14.4 points in ridings where they ran an incumbent MP. But in ridings the NDP won in 2011 but in which the MP left before the 2015 election, the new NDP candidate in that riding secured about 16.6 fewer points on average. It is part of a broader historical trend where an incumbent candidate secures more of the vote than a lesser known name.

The drop was particularly marked in Quebec in 2015, where NDP incumbents dropped 5.7 points fewer than NDP candidates fared in ridings where the NDP had lost their incumbent MP.

Those might not be enormous numbers. But depending on how the next campaign goes, the New Democrats could easily gain enough support nationwide to compensate for it — or lose so much that an extra few points lost in a handful of ridings won't make a difference. Regardless, this may be an early sign that things aren't heading in the right direction for the NDP.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-ndp-incumbents-1.4801888

Jump to: