Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All eyes on Windsor Lake for provincial byelection today

Liberals' Paul Antle, PCs' Ches Crosbie and NDP's Kerri Claire Neil vying for St. John's district

CBC News · Posted: Sep 20, 2018 8:00 AM NT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

From left, PC Leader Ches Crosbie, NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil and Liberal candidate Paul Antle are competing for the Windsor Lake district. Polls are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (Submitted photos)

Today's byelection in the provincial district of Windsor Lake will answer a few questions for Newfoundland and Labrador political watchers.

Will the PCs land leader Ches Crosbie in the House of Assembly and flip the district from red to blue? Will the Liberals' Paul Antle find out the third time's the charm after two previous failed runs for a provincial seat? Or will the NDP's Kerri Claire Neil upend the hopes of both the governing party and the official opposition?

Polls are open today from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the district for the vote, prompted by former Liberal finance minister Cathy Bennett's surprise announcement early last month that she would be returning to private life.

Antle, Crosbie, statistically tied: poll

Crosbie, a lawyer, elected by their PCs as leader in April, was first to announce he'd be running in the district, which voted solidly Liberal in the 2015 election; Bennett took 66.3 per cent of the 4,799 votes cast, defeating the PCs' Ryan Cleary, who earned 20.2 per cent of the vote, and the NDP's Don Rowe, with 13.5 per cent.

Businessman Antle lost to PC incumbent Norm Doyle in St. John's East in the 2006 election, and lost to then-NDP leader Lorraine Michael — with 2,365 votes to Michael's 3,038 — in the 2015 election. Antle also challenged for the Liberal leadership in 2013, finishing second behind now-Premier Dwight Ball.

While Antle and Crosbie went unopposed as their parties' candidates for the district, political newcomer Neil — who describes herself as a social economist and feminist — defeated Matt Howse for the nomination, shortly after losing her job with a non-government organization for, she said, her "political, critical Twitter profile."

A poll released last week suggests Antle and Crosbie are in a statistical dead heat, with Neil running third but with more support than the NDP earned in the 2015 election.

When the vote closes at 8 p.m., preliminary results will be posted to the Elections and Newfoundland Labrador website as they are received from the district.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-1.4831059
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( well know the results soon as its already 7 pm in newfoundland )

Candidates Cast Ballots in Windsor Lake Byelection

September 20, 2018 | 10:43 amLast Updated:September 20, 2018 | 1:57 pm

Each of the three candidates felt good going to the polls in Windsor Lake this morning.

Paul Antle, Ches Crosbie and Kerri Claire Neil all showed up this morning at their respective polling stations to cast their votes. The byelection was called to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Cathy Bennett.

PC Leader Ches Crosbie was among the first to cast a ballot at MacMorran community centre. He says he’s had a passionate team throughout. They were out knocking on doors in the wee hours, hopefully not waking anyone up, he jokes, but says it shows how enthusiastic they are.

The NDP’s Kerri Claire Neil already has the first item on her agenda worked out if she takes the seat.

Neil says people in the province are working full time and still living in poverty, and feels raising minimum wage would be doing better.

And no stranger to the campaign trail, Liberal Paul Antle says his team left it all out there with the effort put forward. He says he’s learned a lot from his previous campaigns, and particularly the use of social media was very important in getting his message out to voters.

Polls are open in the district until 8:00 p.m.. VOCM News will carry the results of the byelection live this evening starting immediately following the 8:00 o’clock news both on the air and online.

http://vocm.com/news/candidate.....yelection/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Crosbie has a small lead but many polls remain ,not sure I can recall a by election for a provincial pc party leader that was actually this close before , usually these are easy wins but the Newfoundland liberal party appears to have gone all out to try and deny him a seat )

Windsor Lake By-Election Unofficial Results »

Unofficial results will be posted on this page as they become available after the close of polls at 8:00 p.m. on September 20.

The Official Addition of the Votes, a procedure whereby the voting tallies from by-election night are reviewed, will take place at the district Returning Office, beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, September 23. After the Official Addition has concluded, the by-election results will be considered official.

This page refreshes automatically every 15 seconds.

ANTLE, Paul

CROSBIE, Ches

NEIL, Kerri Claire

Polls Reporting (38 Total)

424 440 228 10
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( crosbie still has the lead , although its never been very big , looks like the ndp did better than expected )

Unofficial results will be posted on this page as they become available after the close of polls at 8:00 p.m. on September 20.

The Official Addition of the Votes, a procedure whereby the voting tallies from by-election night are reviewed, will take place at the district Returning Office, beginning at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday, September 23. After the Official Addition has concluded, the by-election results will be considered official.

This page refreshes automatically every 15 seconds.

ANTLE, Paul

CROSBIE, Ches

NEIL, Kerri Claire

Polls Reporting (38 Total)

769 794 414 19
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Ches Crosbie appears to have won the by election , not by a huge margin but a win is a win and gives him a seat in the house of assembly )

Looking for the by-election mini-site? It's over here.

Paul Antle LIB - 1816

Ches Crosbie PC - 2034

Kerri Neil NDP - 913

38 of 38 polls

https://www.elections.gov.nl.ca/elections/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an overly strong win but this was a seat that the Liberals took 66% of the vote in compared to the PCs 20% back in 2015. We’ll have to wait and see what impact this has on polling numbers and candidate recruitiment in the months ahead.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Leader Ches Crosbie wins Windsor Lake byelection

Crosbie edges out Liberal Paul Antle, NDP's Kerri Claire Neil

CBC News · Posted: Sep 20, 2018 8:00 AM NT | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

16 comments

PC leader Ches Crosbie said the Windsor Lake district was always going to be tough, and even coming close to winning would have been a victory in and of itself. (Ted Dillon/CBC)

St. John's lawyer Ches Crosbie gently kissed his father — Tory titan John Crosbie — as he entered a jublilant campaign office after scoring a critical victory Thursday night in a byelection in Windsor Lake.

"It was nip and tuck all through the night," said Crosbie, 65, who defeated Liberal Paul Antle in a hard-fought contest in the suburban St. John's district.

Crosbie, who took over the reins of the provincial Progressive Conservatives in April, said his victory in a district that voted heavily for former Liberal cabinet minister Cathy Bennett in 2015 "means trouble for the Liberals."

Crosbie had 2,034 votes to 1,816 for Antle, while New Democrat Kerri Claire Neil performed strongly with 856 votes, according to 38 polls reported by Elections Newfoundland and Labrador.

"This was a hard hill to climb. This was a district three years ago where the Liberal candidate took two thirds of the vote. It was always going to be tough," Crosbie said during his victory speech to his dozens of supporters.

"If we came close it would be a victory. If we won it would be a triumph. And we won," Crosbie exclaimed, followed by a thunderous cheer.

The byelection was made necessary by the resignation of Bennett, who quit her role as finance minister last year and left politics altogether this summer.

Crosbie's victory gives the Tories an eighth seat in the House of Assembly, but more importantly, it puts Crosbie — a litigator known for class action lawsuits — a seat directly across from Liberal Premier Dwight Ball in the House of Assembly.

"What I told people at the doors was if you're happy with the last three years of the Dwight Ball Liberal government, you know how you can vote," Crosbie said.

"But if you want someone with an alternative vision in the House of Assembly, whose job it is to hold the Liberal government to account, you know who you can vote for. And we know who they did vote for."

Crosbie provided his opponents with some encouraging words.

"It takes guts and determination to enter a contest like this, or any electoral contest. So, I salute them for those qualities." he said.

"And also the Liberal leader and Mr. Ball for coming here. Unfortunately I missed the two of them, and I salute him as well for having those qualities that make for democracy, which involve respect for people while contesting over ideas."

'Machine' helped secure victory, volunteers told

Crosbie grew up with an intimate view of politics. His father is a former federal and provincial cabinet minister and a former lieutenant-governor in Newfoundland and Labrador.

In a victory speech to volunteers and other members of the Tory caucus, Crosbie credited "a machine" for helping his campaign win the race.

'Once a Liberal, always a Liberal,' Paul Antle said Thursday as he cast his ballot. (Eddy Kennedy/CBC)

The byelection marks the third unlucky provincial campaign for Antle, a successful businessman who placed second to Ball in the 2013 Liberal leadership campaign.

Even after casting his ballot Thursday, Antle said he would be involved in politics somehow, regardless of the outcome.

"Hey, listen, I've been a Liberal for a very long time. Once a Liberal, always a Liberal. We'll always be there for the party, through thick and thin."

NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil casts her ballot Thursday morning. (Mark Quinn/CBC)

Antle and Ball came to Crosbie's campaign office to concede defeat, shortly before the final results were reported.

Neil, a political newcomer, indicated Thursday that she would be back.

"Definitely, I will be running again next year, for sure. And I should finish my master's [degree] as well," she said, laughing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/windsor-lake-byelection-1.4831059
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ches Crosbie wins N.L. byelection

David Maher (david.maher@thetelegram.com)
Juanita Mercer (juanita.mercer@thetelegram.com)

Published: 10 hours ago
Updated: 2 hours ago

Progressive Conservative candidate Ches Crosbie signals victory to his supporters in the Windsor Lake byelection Thursday night at his campaign headquarters in St. John’s.

Progressive Conservative Leader takes Windsor Lake, gains seat in House of Assembly

When Ches Crosbie first told his parents, John and Jane Crosbie, he was thinking about entering politics, they were shocked.

“We didn’t want him getting into it. We didn’t know he was thinking so seriously of it,” Jane said Thursday night after her son won the Windsor Lake byelection and a seat in the House of Assembly.

“We said what are you doing that for?”

Ches didn’t listen to his mother’s advice.

“I’m sure she had my best interest at heart,” said Ches.

“I wasn’t really thinking of myself when I did this. I was thinking of what the province needed. I’ll continue to think of that.”

John, 87, came with Jane about an hour before Ches made it to his election headquarters, taking his walker front and centre to watch the results come in.

“I’m glad it’s turned out as it has,” said John.

Ches Crosbie, 65, will now sit in the House of Assembly as the member for Windsor Lake and Leader of the Opposition.

Crosbie won a tight contest.

The unofficial results showed 2,034 votes for Crosbie, 1,816 votes for Liberal candidate Paul Antle and 914 votes for NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil — a 218-vote margin of victory.

Premier Dwight Ball (left) and defeated Liberal candidate Paul Antle Thursday night.
Premier Dwight Ball (left) and defeated Liberal candidate Paul Antle Thursday night.

Elections Newfoundland and Labrador says voter turnout was 52.6 per cent.

Antle and Premier Dwight Ball arrived at Crosbie headquarters at 9:30 p.m. to congratulate Crosbie on his victory — though Crosbie hadn’t arrived just yet.

“We ran an honourable campaign, a respectful campaign. I’m very proud of my people and what we did as a party, as a team. I’m very happy,” said Antle.

Antle didn’t say for sure whether his name will appear on the ballot again, having suffered his fourth electoral defeat.

“I recollect that on three occasions now, I’ve run against three leaders,” said Antle.

“Maybe if I run again, I won’t do it against a leader.”

NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil speaks to reporters Thursday night at her campaign headquarters. Neil came in third in the Windsor Lake byelection.
NDP candidate Kerri Claire Neil speaks to reporters Thursday night at her campaign headquarters. Neil came in third in the Windsor Lake byelection.

Kerri Neil took some time to gather her composure, and enjoy warm hugs from supporters before speaking with reporters after the results were announced.

Throughout the evening, members of both competing parties commented on Neil’s strong showing. A first-time candidate who stepped into the race after her opponents, Neil won 19 per cent of the vote.

She hopes her run can inspire others.

“I met a lot of people at the door who said, ‘Wow, you were so impressive at the debate, but maybe when you’re a bit older,’ and it was frustrating because I knew I was putting forward good ideas and that I have the background to really push through, but I think people wanted someone with a bit more experience,” she said.

“I hope my run shows people that we can put a voice at the table and we should run, and it’s important to put our ideas out there.”

Neil says she’ll be on the ballot again in 2019.

Crosbie now gets to take his campaign messaging into the House of Assembly, where he’ll get to address Ball face-to-face in November.

“I can tell you, I am looking forward to facing off with Ches Crosbie,” said Ball, with a pointed finger and a pointed tone.

“It was his party that nearly bankrupted this province and he is bankrupt of ideas — at least, I have not seen any yet.”

Crosbie is ready, too.

“The message is: dissatisfaction with the last three years,” he said.

“I will hold the Ball Liberal government accountable in the House as the champion of the people, with lower taxes, affordable electricity and honest government.”

Crosbie says his victory could snuff out any rumours of a snap election called in the spring.

“We have the momentum. He’s not going to do that,” said Crosbie.

The province now turns from Windsor Lake to the 2019 general election. With all three leaders of political parties having seats in the House of Assembly, the question of who will lead the province after 2019 becomes one the province can wonder aloud.

http://www.theaurora.ca/news/l.....on-243364/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Not an overly strong win but this was a seat that the Liberals took 66% of the vote in compared to the PCs 20% back in 2015. We’ll have to wait and see what impact this has on polling numbers and candidate recruitiment in the months ahead.

the race was closer than most other by elections I can recall where a party leader was trying to win a seat . although it had previously been a liberal riding but was pc before that so I don't really know if it was that liberal

I'd imagine the win will help out the party somewhat , in terms of getting ready for the next election and attracting some new candidates

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: