Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Alberta ndp Cabinet Minister Brian Mason retiring Reply with quote

( in yet another blow to the alberta ndp , longtime mla and cabinet minister Brian Mason is not running in the next election , although his riding is potentially safe for the ndp its a loss to lose such a high profile and longtime member of the legislature )

After nearly 30 years in politics, MLA Brian Mason retiring

Transportation Minister and Government House Leader Brian Mason announces he will not seek re-election in 2019.

Julia Parrish
Julia Parrish, Web Reporter, CTV Edmonton

@JuliaParrishCTV
Published Wednesday, July 4, 2018 11:21AM MDT
Last Updated Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:57PM MDT

The Alberta government’s Minister of Transportation and Government House Leader Brian Mason announced he will not seek re-election when Albertans head to the polls in 2019.

“I will not be running again in the next election,” Mason said in a news conference Wednesday. “Does anyone have any questions?”

At 18 years as MLA, Mason is the longest-sitting MLA in the legislative assembly.

Brian Mason
MLA Brian Mason speaks at the Alberta Legislature on Wednesday, July 4, 2018.

“I’m turning 65 in October too, and I’ve won ten consecutive elections, and I think that’s enough,” Mason said.

“There’s always more you could accomplish, I could think of a lot of other things that I could accomplish if I could live forever or be in government forever, but that’s not really how life works,” Mason continued.

“I’m very pleased with the things I’ve accomplished both on [Edmonton’s] City Council and as a member of opposition, and in government as well.”

Mason was first elected MLA for Edmonton-Highlands-Norwood in a byelection in 2000, and served as leader of the NDP from September 18, 2004 to October 18, 2014.

Before the NDP was elected into power, he stepped down as leader and Rachel Notley took his place.

“I think my proudest accomplishment was talking her into running for leader, not something she was ready to do,” Mason said.

Prior to his move to provincial politics, Mason served as City Councillor in Edmonton for Ward 3, he was first elected in October 1989, and won three civic elections.

Response to news from both sides

Shortly after Mason’s announcement, Premier Rachel Notley praised the party’s former leader for his work.

“He’s never backed down from a fight and whether he was part of a caucus of two or 54, he always knows who he stands for, and he’s always been very dedicated,” Notley said.

The premier also posted messages on Twitter thanking Mason for his work with the NDP.

UCP Leader Jason Kenney also tweeted after the announcement, calling the long-time MLA “a good man devoted to Alberta and public service."

Two other former cabinet ministers have also announced they would not seek re-election in 2019: the former associate health minister Brandy Payne and former Minister for the Status of Women and Service Alberta Stephanie McLean.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/after-nearly-30-years-in-politics-mla-brian-mason-retiring-1.3999701
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Mason won't run in the next provincial election

Edmonton NDP cabinet minister and MLA steps down after 29 years in municipal, provincial politics

CBC News · Posted: Jul 04, 2018 11:12 AM MT | Last Updated: July 4

Brian Mason announced Wednesday he is not running in the next provincial election. (CBC)

Brian Mason, MLA for Edmonton-Highlands-Norwood and minister of transportation, will not be running in the next provincial election.

Mason, 64, told reporters Wednesday he is retiring after 29 years in politics.

At a news conference at the Alberta legislature which meandered through the highs and lows of his long political career, Mason said he has left the party in good shape.

"We're a majority government and I toiled in the trenches for many years to get to that point, so I'm very comfortable with my departure."
Mason was first elected as an NDP MLA in a 2000 byelection, making him the longest-serving current MLA.

And without a doubt, his best day in the legislature was something he hoped for, but never imagined would ever happen, he said.

"Walking in and sitting on the other side of the house for the first time," he beamed.

"I'm very proud to have finished my political career as a member of the government."

Convinced Notley to be leader

Mason served as leader of the New Democrats from September 2004 until October 2014 when he stepped aside to bring a new leader to the party.

Mason said he provided guidance to Rachel Notley along the way, and eventually "six years of hounding finally paid off.

"In terms of that, I think my proudest accomplishment was talking [Notley] into running for leader, not something she was ready to do," Mason said.
At a news conference in Calgary, Premier Rachel Notley paid tribute to Mason's long record of public service.

"He's always been a very strong advocate. He's never backed down from a fight," Notley said.

"And whether he was part of a caucus of two or a caucus of 54," said Notley, "he has always known exactly who he stands for."

As a cabinet minister, Mason points to the building of bridges hospitals, and roads as his most satisfying achievements.

"Just getting the province back up to where it should have been in terms of infrastructure," was a struggle, Mason said.

"The infrastructure in the province had lagged far behind the needs," he added.

Prior to his jump to provincial politics, Mason served as an Edmonton city councillor for more than three terms. He was first elected to council in a 1989 byelection.

'Excellent' timing

Bringing services to residents of northeast Edmonton such as recreation facilities and soccer fields was his greatest achievement as a councillor, he said.

As a new MLA, Mason gained a reputation as a feisty member of the opposition when holding the government of the day to account. (CBC)

Mason credits his career as bus driver with the Edmonton Transit Service that prepared him for politics.

Chatting with passengers and dealing with the public is a skill he honed in the driver's seat that carried him through nearly three decades of elected office, he said.

Having never lost an election, Mason said it's critical to always stay in touch with the people you represent.

Mason said his best skills as a politician has been his timing.

The timing was right for him to step down as leader, he said, and the time is "excellent" now for him to leave politics.

Mason will stay on as a cabinet minister and MLA until the next provincial election, expected in the spring of 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/mason-steps-down-politics-retiring-alberta-ndp-1.4733336

Jump to: