Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Manitoba ndp mla Rob Altemeyer to retire Reply with quote

( news of yet another ndp retirement in Manitoba )

Wolseley MLA Rob Altemeyer won't run in next provincial election

'Time for a new voice' after 17 years in office, Altemeyer says

CBC News ยท Posted: Mar 21, 2018 6:12 PM CT | Last Updated: March 21

The NDP environment critic was first elected in 2003 and will have held the seat for 17 years by the next provincial election. (CBC)

Longtime Wolseley MLA Rob Altemeyer announced he doesn't plan to run for re-election in 2020.

The NDP environment critic was first elected to the Manitoba Legislature in 2003 and will have held his Winnipeg seat for 17 years by the next provincial election.

Altemeyer made the announcement on Facebook, saying, "It will be time for a new voice at the legislature and time for me to help build a better world from a different point of view."

He said he wants to give the NDP enough time to nominate a new candidate.

Altemeyer narrowly held on to his seat in the 2016 election, beating Green Party candidate David Nickarz by less than 400 votes.

"I freely admit I am looking forward to a bit more time with my family as I finish my term as an MLA. Life in a blended family with my amazing wife, three teenagers and a toddler is always interesting," Altemeyer said in his statement.

Prior to entering politics, he worked as a community activist. He narrowly defeated sitting NDP MLA Marianne Cerilli in a riding nomination to become the NDP candidate in the 2003 election. That election saw the party win its second majority government under premier Gary Doer.

During the tumult surrounding the 2014 defection of five NDP cabinet ministers who demanded the resignation of then premier Greg Selinger, Altemeyer became an outspoken defender of Selinger and a fierce critic of the five rebel MLAs.

In his remaining time in the legislature, Altemeyer said he intends to continue in his role as environment critic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4587149
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It's been a good long haul': Wolseley MLA Rob Altemeyer won't seek re-election in 2020

Rob Altemeyer
In this file image, Rob Altemeyer, MLA and NDP caucus chair, leaves an NDP caucus meeting on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at the Manitoba Legislature. Manitoba's Opposition New Democrats will be without one of their longest-serving members in the next election campaign. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/John Wood)

Steve Lambert, The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, March 21, 2018 6:00PM CST

Manitoba's Opposition New Democrats will be without one of their longest-serving caucus members in the next election campaign.

Rob Altemeyer, who has represented the Wolseley constituency in Winnipeg since 2003, said Wednesday he will serve out his current term but not seek re-election in 2020.

"I've been here for 15 years. It's a good long haul and ... it's time for me to try and build a better world from another place," Altemeyer said.

He said he wants to spend more time with his family and take on new challenges yet to be determined.

The NDP won 14 of 57 legislature seats in the last election but are down to 12.

Former premier Greg Selinger resigned his seat earlier this month after several women came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct by one of Selinger's former cabinet ministers. Mohinder Saran was ousted from caucus last year after he was accused of harassing a woman -- an accusation he denied.

Altemeyer has stirred up controversy during his time at the legislature.

Last year, Altemeyer racked up a $5,000 cell phone bill in one month while vacationing in Mexico. He said he didn't realize he was using his data plan on his government-funded phone -- he thought he was on hotel wifi only -- and promised to repay any difference after negotiating with his provider.

He also faced anger from some of his own constituents during a bitter NDP leadership battle in 2015 and came close to losing his seat the following year.

When Selinger faced a revolt by five senior cabinet ministers, Altemeyer emailed party members in his constituency and accused the rebel ministers and NDP staff who supported them of "an appalling abdication of responsibility."

Months later, along with one fellow caucus member, he posted a solidarity pledge on a wall and asked NDP members to sign it as a promise to work together and not leak information to the media.

Some members of his constituency association were angry and a new board was elected. In the 2016 election, he hung on to his seat by a narrow margin over a Green Party candidate.

Altemeyer said any acrimony isn't behind his decision. He said he does not feel forced out and believes the party is reuniting.

"There's been some really good, deliberate reconciliation work being done by the party members from all the different perspectives and I've been proud to support that and participate in it.

"Things are much different than they were."

One political analyst said the NDP still has healing to do.

"There's some lingering bitterness and second-guessing of both Selinger and the gang of five (ministers) who stood up against his leadership," said Paul Thomas, professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Manitoba. "That's an ongoing wound that hasn't completely healed."

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/it-s-been-a-good-long-haul-wolseley-mla-rob-altemeyer-won-t-seek-re-election-in-2020-1.3853282

Jump to: