Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: 3 provincial by elections in Saskatchewan March 1 Reply with quote

( there will be 3 provincial by elections in Saskatchewan on march 3 , all in former sask party seats they previously won by large margins )

Melfort Constituency by-election on March 1

Friday, February 2, 2018 1:26:29 CST PM

Immediately after being sworn in as Saskatchewan’s 15th Premier, Premier Scott Moe called three by-elections to fill the vacant seats in Kindersley, Melfort and Swift Current.

All three by-elections will be held on March 1.

So far there are two candidates running in the Melfort by-election.

Todd Goudy was elected to represent the Saskatchewan Party at a meeting on January 24. Lorne Schroeder will be representing the NDP. He was elected at a nomination meeting on January 29.

“I want to ensure every resident of Saskatchewan is represented when the Legislature begins sitting again in March,” Moe said. “Voters in Melfort, Kindersley and Swift Current will decide who is best to represent their constituency and who is best to stand up for Saskatchewan in dealing with the federal government on issues like the carbon tax."

“I look forward to strongly contested campaigns by all parties and candidates.”

Advance voting will be set up in at least three locations for five days.

They will be at the Kerry Vickar Centre in Melfort, the Naicam & District Senior Citizens Centre and Watson New Horizons from February 23-27.

The By-election is coming after the surprise death of MLA Kevin Phillips on November 13.

http://www.melfortjournal.com/.....on-march-1
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan Rumpel to represent NDP in Swift Current by-election

Stefan Rumpel and Nicole Sarauer.
Stefan Rumpel, NDP Swift Current by-election candidate with Nicole Sarauer, Leader of the Saskatchewan NDP. (Twitter: @Sask_NDP)

Published Sunday, January 28, 2018 3:43PM CST

Stefan Rumpel will represent the NDP in the upcoming by-election in Swift Current.

“The Sask. Party’s heartless cuts to our hospitals and classrooms are hurting Saskatchewan People,” Rumpel said, in a release. “This by-election is an opportunity for the people of this constituency to send a clear message that the Sask. Party needs to stop making Saskatchewan people pay the price for their mismanagement.”

Rumpel is a teacher at Swift Current Comprehensive High School. He also served on the Saskatchewan Drama Association board and is the owner and manager of Swift Current Improvisational Theatre.

“Stefan is deeply rooted in his community and is a strong voice for education,” NDP Interim Leader Nicole Sarauer said in a release. “As a teacher Stefan sees the impacts of the Sask. Party’s heartless cuts to our classrooms every day.”

The by-election needs to be held before July 31, 2018.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/stefan-rumpel-to-represent-ndp-in-swift-current-by-election-1.3779134
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schroeder to represent NDP in by-election

By Greg Wiseman, Journal

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:34:51 CST AM

MELFORT - The New Democratic Party candidate who was chosen Monday night in Melfort has his sights set pretty high.

Lorne Schroeder was elected to represent the NDP in the upcoming by-election in the Melfort Constituency.

The organic beef farmer from LeRoy said now the questions can start.

“Even if you have grey hair like I have I know that you are full of energy and it’s people like you that are going to make the difference. In the coffee shops, at the water cooler ask the right questions,” he encouraged the receptive crowd of about 50 people.

He posed queries like where has all the money gone? How much has it cost us for this population growth? Has there been population growth in the Melfort constituency? Has the Sask. Party, who represents rural Saskatchewan, brought population growth to the rural Saskatchewan?

It is those questions along with the plan the NDP has which Schroeder hopes will help him in the upcoming by-election.

Part of that plan revolves around the consolidation of resources.

“We are losing our ability to make decisions for ourselves. All of our property tax dollars and education tax dollars are all going to Regina and the decisions are all going to be made from Regina. We are losing more and more control at the grass roots where the services are. We are not having control of the decision making anymore.”

That will be part of the plan which is sent out to constituents.

Communication with voters will be key in the upcoming by-election.

“We need to get our message out, then the people of this constituency will make their decision. And, the people are always right, but we want to make sure that they know the issues and they get to choose,” he said.

Schroeder was elected when 29 ballots were cast electing him over Betty Nippi-Albright.

Political history indicates that the party in power can change at any time, and Schroeder is not sure if now is the time for a change, but he is ready to make a run at it.

Even if that is an uphill struggle against the Sask Party.

“I don’t have my rose coloured glasses on, I can face the truth dead on. I don’t have my head in the sand. The last election, of course, was quite overwhelming for the Sask Party and they have had a hold in rural Saskatchewan up until now. But I’m ready for the battle and we’ll see what happens, what the mood is.”

He is aiming for a seat at the legislature, but wants to win on his own merits, not as the lesser of two evils.

“I don’t want to win just for the sake of winning. I don’t want to win just because they are kicking out another party. I want to win because we have a plan, a good plan for Saskatchewan, for Saskatchewan people,” he said.

“If we are just coming into power because they are kicking the other ones out that is not good enough for me.”

http://www.melfortjournal.com/.....y-election
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goudy wins Sask Party position

By Greg Wiseman, Journal

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 11:00:47 CST PM

MELFORT - Todd Goudy seemed genuinely surprised when it was announced that he had won the position of Saskatchewan Party representative in the upcoming by-election.

He even admitted such in his speech following the announcement.

“I’m still very shocked that I won actually,” he said in front of a little over 1000 people at the nomination meeting on January 24 in Melfort.

“It’s probably not a thing I’m supposed to say, you’re supposed to be confident and bold and I will be for you when it comes to being in Regina. But, I’m so humbled that you gave me a chance to represent you.”

Being an elected representative is something he has wanted for a long time.

“I could pinch myself. This is what I hoped (for) from when I was 19-years-old, to be in my home town serving the people of my community. Life couldn’t be any better.”

In total 813 ballots were cast and Goudy beat out other candidates, Louise Schweitzer, Tim Hoenmans and Scott Lessmeister.

How many votes each candidate received were not revealed but Goudy said his competition was high quality.

“I’m so thankful for all the other people who ran. I think I would have voted for some of you guys but I was selfish tonight and voted for myself,” he said with an appreciative smile.

Mike Mahon said it was a difficult choice for the Sask. Parry members to make after the four candidates’ campaigning and listening to their presentations.

“We had four excellent candidates. Whoever was successful would be an excellent choice and I think at the end of the day we made an excellent choice,” said Mahon, the Sask. Party Melfort Constituency Association President.

The position of MLA, which Goudy will be running for in the upcoming by-election, can be daunting according to Mahon.

However he is sure the newly elected Sask. Party Candidate will grow into the job.

“I think if you ask Rod Gantefoer or if Kevin Phillips were still with us, they would say things looked a little different than he expected at the start, but they did very well and I have no doubt that Todd will do the same.”

Goudy is the first to admit he “has his training wheels on” but is looking to kick them off as quickly as he can.

“I have had training wheels before and we’ll get them off soon enough,” Goudy joked.

High up on the list of priorities will be preparing for an upcoming by-election in the Melfort Constituency.

His game plan is to get together with the other candidates and their respective teams to develop a way to try and win the by-election.

“We are going to put together a great team to come out strong for the by-election that is upcoming.”

In the by-election Goudy said he has heard of a few priorities from people in the area.

Among those are the taxes added to insurance for producers and the removal of STC.

The nomination meeting was held after the surprising death of MLA Kevin Phillips on November 13.

Goudy said Philips was a great representative of the people in the Melfort Constituency and he is going to try and do as good a job as Phillips did.

He remembers a conversation the two had a few months ago when Goudy said he would run when Phillips stepped down.

“But I said you are probably better to run for one more term because you are the best. If we were to choose one of the new candidates or you, you’re the better choice every day of the week. We really lost a great, good man who was loved by the people,” Goudy said.

Now it’s time to try and live up to those expectations.

He started by holding up his cell phone.

“I promised that my phone would always be on and that our door would always be open and in my heart it’s open to all of you,” he said.

“I gladly take any phone calls you have my number on my cards.”

http://www.melfortjournal.com/.....y-position
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New premier calls for byelection in Kindersley

By Kenneth Brown on Feb 7, 2018·No Comment

Voters will decide on March 1. NDP, Sask. Party candidates ready to campaign

Kenneth Brown
of The Clarion

The Kindersley constituency has been without a member of the legislative assembly since September but that will change with a byelection set for March 1.

Premier Scott Moe was sworn in to office on Feb. 2 by Lt.-Gov. Vaughn Solomon Schofield. One of his first orders of business as premier was to call byelections for Kindersley, Melfort and Swift Current. The three byelections all take place on March 1.

Ken Francis, stakes a campaign sign as he gets prepared to represent the Saskatchewan Party in the March byelection.

Two of the province’s political parties have candidates in place for the Kindersley byelection. The Saskatchewan Party’s candidate is Ken Francis, who won a hotly-contested nomination early in January. The New Democratic Party of Saskatchewan’s candidate is Travis Hebert, who won an uncontested nomination.

The advanced polls will be held from Feb. 23 to 27 and the polling station for Kindersley is at Caleb Village. The advanced voting takes place on Feb. 23, 26 and 27 from 3 to 10 p.m., and on Feb. 24 and 25 from noon to 7 p.m.

On March 1, polls will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Candidates have until Feb. 13 to enter the race to be the next Kindersley MLA.

The constituency has been served by Bill Boyd, who resigned on Sept. 1, or Jason Dearborn since 1991.

http://theclarion.ca/2018/02/0.....yelection/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sask. Party names Wall's driver candidate for Swift Current byelection

Premier's former driver running for his seat

The Premier's former driver has won the Sask. Party's nomination for the upcoming Swift Current byelection. Dale Hunter explains.

CTV Regina
Published Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:10PM CST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 12, 2017 6:43PM CST

The Saskatchewan Party has named its candidate to run to take over Premier Brad Wall’s seat in Swift Current.

Everett Hindley won the nomination on Monday night. For the past 10 years, Hindley has worked as Wall’s executive assistant – meaning he travels everywhere with the premier. That includes time on the road from Swift Current and Regina, and back again, every day the legislature was sitting for a decade.

“He would expand upon my knowledge of old-time country and western,” he told CTV News on Tuesday. “That isn’t exactly my niche. So, I learned a lot about Waylon Jennings and Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson.”

Hindley
The Sask. Party has named Everett Hindley as its candidate to run in the Swift Current byelection.

Hindley and Wall discussed more than just music. Instead, they talked about politics, policy, speech writing, and everything in between.

“Obviously you get more and more involved in things,” Hindley said. “Then all of a sudden, 18 years down the road, you get the chance to take a crack at it.”

The byelection will be called within six months of Wall’s retirement in January.

Based on a report by CTV Regina's Dale Hunter

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/sask-party-names-wall-s-driver-candidate-for-swift-current-byelection-1.3718327
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( not able to find much news about these by elections but is the odd story )

RCMP investigating reports of mischief to electoral signs

 Print

 Category: Local News  Published: Saturday, 17 February 2018 11:10  Written by Tanner Wallace-Scribner

File Photo

The Swift Current Municipal RCMP is currently investigating reports of mischief to electoral signs posted on peoples front lawns.

The reports include the signs being spray painted. RCMP also received reports of signs being run over by vehicles.

The RCMP are asking that if you have any information to contact them at 1-306-778-4870

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/rcmp-investigating-reports-of-mischief-to-electoral-signs
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Party candidate Maria Lewans brings different views to byelection

 Print

 Category: Local News  Published: Friday, 16 February 2018 12:33  Written by Andrew McCormack

Maria Lewans runs a plumbing company and is the Green Party's candidate for the March 1 Swift Current provincial byelection

Maria Lewans isn't going to make any consessions in her beliefs to try to get more votes.

Lewans officially became the Green Party candidate on Monday, and is running against the Saskatchewan Party's Everett Hindley, NDP's Stefan Rumpel, and Liberal Aidan Roy for the March 1 Swift Current byelection.

For Lewans, it's not that there are two or three issues she wants to address; instead, she wants to dive deeper.

"It's probably good to have a main focus, but I'm finding it hard because there are so many issues and they're all intertwined," she said. "It's like, you can't really look at one piece of the puzzle without looking at the whole puzzle, or else you're going to be lost and not really see it clearly."

Lewans believes there is too much stock put into having a strong economy, and that people shouldn't rely on the commercial agriculture or the oil sector.

"We live very unsustainably, especially compared to a lot of other regions in the world. I think our life convenience and excess comes at a cost to other countries around the world. So I kind of believe in that, 'do unto others as you do unto yourselves,' and I think that extends across the globe. It doesn't just extend to the people you meet face to face. I think we need to be more conscious of how our actions are affecting others on this planet, and come up with ways where we can live more sustainably."

A world where people farm enough food to feed themselves, and maybe a little more, is one Lewans hopes for.

"I'm a big believer in permaculture, which is edible landscaping. In my yard I try to grow as much edible food as possible, and I try to learn the medicinal and edible qualities of different weeds - plants we call weeds out there. I think that is really beneficial."

Lewans ran for Swift Current mayor in 2016, finishing third of the three candidates. She said that this time round, she's more prepared to have her name on a ballot. Lewans also said she still isn't about to soften her stances on things to try to get more votes.

"I'm going to say what I believe, so I'm not going to compromise my beliefs to try to win votes. It does make it hard. Hopefully we can get people to at least think about these issues and try to understand where we're coming from in the Green Party, and think about what kind of world they want to leave their children and their grandchildren. Right now we're going more automated... I don't like the direction it's going. It's not a world I'd wish upon my children."

If she was MLA in Swift Current she'd try to educate people on how to live off the land, and how to restore the land, as well as encouraging more active transportation, like cycling.

The forum for the candidates is February 26.

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/green-party-candidate-maria-lewans-brings-different-views-to-byelection
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By-Election Advance Polls Open Today in Swift Current

 Category: Local News  Published: Friday, 23 February 2018 06:35  Written by Penny Schreiner

Photo submitted by Elections Saskatchewan

The Swift Current Constituency is voting in advance polls, starting this afternoon, for the Swift Current By-Election.

Four candidates are in the running to replace Brad Wall.

Tim Kydd is a spokesperson for Elections Saskatchewan. He says in order to vote you must be a Canadian Citizen eighteen years of age on March 1, 2018. You must have lived in Saskatchewan for at least six months before the election or by-election is called, and you must ordinarily be a resident of Saskatchewan. He adds, "You need to show ID and you need to be registered. So, the majority of voters in Swift Current are registered already. We have that information from the general election."

Kydd says that number show lower voter turn outs for by-elections than general elections.

Advance Polls in Swift Current are at the Swift Current Mall, Unit 403 at 1 Springs Drive. Advance polls are today from three p.m. until ten p.m., Saturday February 24th and Sunday February 25th from noon until seven p.m. each day, and Monday February 26th and Tuesday February 27th daily from three until ten p.m.

The final day for voting in the By-Election is Thursday March 1st.

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/by-election-advance-polls-open-today-in-swift-current
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advance polls open for Melfort byelection

By northeastNOW Staff

February 23, 2018 - 12:00pm

Advance polls are now open to elect the MLA for the Melfort constituency.

Clark Stork/northeastNOW Staff

Beginning Friday afternoon, voters can begin choosing Melfort’s next Member of the Legislative Assembly.

Advance polls open at 3 p.m. at three locations across the constituency ahead of the March 1 byelection to replace Kevin Phillips.

Voters can cast ballots at Melfort’s Kerry Vickar Centre, the Naicam and District Senior Citizens Centre and at Watson New Horizons.

Polls will close at 10 p.m. Friday. The polls will be open on Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 from 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.

On Feb. 26 and 27 residents can vote between 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.

The NDP candidate is Lorne Schroeder, the SaskParty hopeful is Todd Goudy, and Shawn Setyo will run for the Green Party. The Liberals do not have a candidate running.

The byelection was called following the sudden passing of Phillips late last year.

http://www.northeastnow.com/ar.....byelection
queenmandy85

votes: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why anyone would vote for the Sask. (Socialist Credit) Party is beyond me. With the millions of dollars disappearing in the Global Transportation Hub scandal, these bozos are as bad as the Ontario government. Now they are likely planning to bring in Carbon rationing.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenmandy85 wrote:
Why anyone would vote for the Sask. (Socialist Credit) Party is beyond me. With the millions of dollars disappearing in the Global Transportation Hub scandal, these bozos are as bad as the Ontario government. Now they are likely planning to bring in Carbon rationing.

there is clearly a divide between rural and urban Saskatchewan , the ndp made some gains in Saskatoon but these 3 by elections aren't expected to be in play , if even 1 of the 3 was close it be shocking

all 3 ridings are core sask party seats in rural Saskatchewan , only swift current is somewhat of a city although only 16,000 people

the past ndp government wasn't well liked in rural Saskatchewan form what I've heard and its yet to ever fully recover
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reconciliation one of many issues Swift Current byelection candidates address

 Category: Local News  Published: Tuesday, 27 February 2018 04:58  Written by Andrew McCormack

The candidates for the Swift Current byelection look out to the crowd last night (photo by Andrew McCormack)

The four candidates in the mix to become Swift Current's next MLA took to the Living Sky Casino Event Centre last night where they shared their views with voters.

The provincial byelection is Thursday in Swift Current as well as Kindersley and Melfort.

Each candidate - Everett Hindley of the Saskatchewan Party, Stefan Rumpel of the NDP, Aidan Roy of the Liberals, and Maria Lewans of the Green Party - had the floor at the event put on by the Swift Current Chamber of Commerce for 10 minutes to begin the night before answering questions from the public.

Topics such as a carbon tax, healthcare, and education were among concern to citizens, as well as the final queurie of the night, which asked what each candidate would do to make reconciliation with First Nations a top priority for the government.

The common theme among the candidates was the need for people to work more closely together.

Everett Hindley

Saskatchewan Party candidate Everett Hindley

Hindley, who served as executive assistant for Brad Wall (who retired this winter from his roles as Swift Current MLA and Saskatchewan premier), spoke about some successes in the province.

"There's some outstanding stories out there. Look at the Living Sky Casino where we are right now - a great First Nations business here in our community that's provided some economic impact for Swift Current and has just been a great story.

"What our government has done is we focused on some investments, for example into the Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technologies, that's got a very successful track record of training of First Nations individuals. We've got folks like Chief Darcy Bear at White Cap Dakota who has a hugely successful First Nation there with very low, next to zero unemployment there. Those are some of the successes and we need to focus on those and work together with our First Nations partners to do what we can."

Stefan Rumpel 3

NDP candidate Stefan Rumpel

For Rumpel, changing how reserve schools receive funding is key.

"I think it's important to understand that if we continue down the path that we're going, where there's a very strong us-versus-them mentaility, we're not going to move forward together. And we're missing out on a great opportunity for our province.

"If we can move towards true reconcilliation, we can activate a portion of our population that unfortunately has been kept out of our economy, so we have an opportunity to really build an economic force in our province if we can break that cycle. And to do that there has to be conversations about things like the funding gap in education. Reserve schools are funded from the federal government, and they're at 60 per cent to the dollar of our provincial schools. How can things get better when they are left behind in that moment? We need to close that gap, and our party believes we close that gap because it's our people in our province, and then send the bill to Ottawa."

Aidan Roy 3

Liberal candidate Aidan Roy

Roy said more education about treaties is part of the answer.

"First thing to recognize is that now more than ever we have seen that treaties become more common in law, so ultimately we need to be more educated about what treaties are, about reconcilliation, and also be more apathetic."

Maria Lewans 3

Green Party candidate Maria Lewans

Lewans was critical of a lack of understanding between cultures, and of people noticing differences instead of similarities.

"I think a lot of racial tension was rooted in a lot of propaganda, so we have to cut through that. There's been a lot of reconciliation about what happened, which is good. I don't think a lot of people are getting the message, and I don't think people who are hearing it are really hearing it and taking it in.

"This goes back to, I think a lot of that judgement and getting people for their own self, getting people to love each other and it starts with getting people to love themselves. I think we have to focus on personal growth; maybe healing circles; getting people to meet each other. Some people, there's this fear of the unknown - like maybe they've never met somebody of the opposite race or whatever. So getting them in circles and getting people talking, maybe other businesses could do this in their workplaces. We got to be creative on what ways to do this. But I think it's important that people get out and meet each other and see that they're just people struggling through life. We're all the same."

While serious issues were addressed, there was also some humour sprinkled into the mix.

Each candidate was asked what they would change about their party if they had to change something, and Rumpel's retort was that he'd have more of them, so they could have a stronger voice and be more effective as the opposition. Roy's response also received a lot of laughs, as he said he'd change the party name, as they "simply get too much flack for it" (because of people associating them with the federal Liberal Party).

Stay tuned to Swift Current Online as we'll have more on last night's forum and the byelection itself.

https://www.swiftcurrentonline.com/local/reconciliation-one-of-many-issues-swift-current-byelection-candidates-address
queenmandy85

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow, the chance to participate in the carbon tax will expire at a cost of millions to the Saskatchewan government. They would rather go through the bureaucratic expense of rationing carbon than cut carbon consumption and generate revenue through a tax or transition to nuclear. Saskatchewan is the Saudi Arabia of uranium.
We need a Progressive Conservative Party. We used to have one until Grant Devine destroyed it.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the ndp seem to be admitting there unlikely to win any of the 3 by elections and only focused on making gains in the 3 ridings

Incremental gains would be a 'huge step forward' for NDP in byelections

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published on: February 27, 2018 | Last Updated: February 27, 2018 9:53 AM CST

Despite winning back two Saskatoon seats last year, the Saskatchewan NDP is expected to have a difficult time sustaining its electoral momentum when voters in three Saskatchewan Party strongholds go to the polls this week.

Advance voting began Friday in the Kindersley, Melfort and Swift Current constituencies, which were left vacant by a death and two resignations. The bulk of the voters will cast their ballots Thursday, two weeks before the legislature resumes sitting.

March 1 By-election Candidates:

Kindersley

NDP — Travis Hebert

Green Party — Yvonne Potter-Pihach

Sask. Party — Ken Francis

Melfort

NDP — Lorne Schroeder

Green Party — Shawn Setyo

Sask. Party — Todd Goudy

Swift Current

NDP — Stefan Rumpel

Green Party — Maria Rose Lewans

Sask. Liberal Association — Aidan Roy

Sask. Party — Everett Hindley

NDP provincial secretary John Tzupa acknowledged the seats will be difficult for the Opposition to win, even coming off its recent urban by-election victories, but said even modest gains will send a message about the Sask. Party’s leadership.

“If we can see improvements in these areas, then to us that’s a huge step forward and a step in the right direction. It’s one step at a time as we try to build our organization across the province, as we work toward government in 2020,” Tzupa said.

Ryan Meili’s victory in Saskatoon Meewasin and Vicki Mowat’s triumph in Saskatoon Fairview have come to be seen as expressions of dissatisfaction with the province’s fiscal situation and, in the latter case, the government’s deeply unpopular 2017-18 budget.

At the same time, both seats were decided by narrow margins in the 2016 general election. It is a different story altogether outside Saskatoon and Regina, where the NDP has struggled and Sask. Party candidates have won huge victories in recent years.

Sask. Party executive director Patrick Bundrock said while his party is taking nothing for granted, he does not expect these by-elections to unfold into referendums on the government, or the decisions it made over the last 12 months.

“I think these by-elections are viewed very differently by voters … I think you’re going to see a very good result and an endorsement of Premier Moe’s path forward,” Bundrock said, adding that Moe has already fulfilled two major leadership campaign promises.

Elections Saskatchewan reported Monday that 665 people cast ballots in Kindersley, 727 in Melfort and 946 in Swift Current over three of five scheduled advance voting days. During the 2016 general election, the respective totals were 964, 945 and 856.

Kevin Phillips was first elected as the MLA for Melfort in 2011. He was re-elected in the 2016 general election with 77 per cent of the vote. The seat became vacant in mid-November, when Phillips died unexpectedly.

The Kindersley seat was occupied by Sask. Party founding member Bill Boyd for most of the last three decades. Boyd won 68 per cent of the vote in the last general election, only to resign this summer amid a conflict of interest scandal.

Brad Wall was elected as the MLA for Swift Current in 1999, and was re-elected four times — most recently in 2016 with 82 per cent of the vote — before resigning both the seat and the premiership at the end of January.

While Wall is seen by some as inseparable from the party he led for a decade, Bundrock said the Sask. Party “brand” is strong in rural areas, especially Swift Current, and Moe has campaigned in all three constituencies since taking office.

Tzupa said the Kindersley and Melfort by-elections present particular challenges, given Wall’s enduring popularity and Phillips’ unexpected death. At the same time, he continued, the party is working to make itself a positive option outside Saskatoon and Regina.

“We would need to increase our share of the vote in all three of these by significantly more than we did in (the Saskatoon by-elections) to win these, but we definitely would like that trajectory to be the same as we continue to build momentum.”

http://thestarphoenix.com/news.....yelections

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: