Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
One thing about it ... with the election in mid-March that leaves about two or three weeks for Ontarioans get to know her -- for surely, following the dictates of the weak heart and the bone head, the next candidate must be a woman, otherwise why did they go to all the trouble of scouring up some false charges.

That gives us a choice between Mulroney's daughter and Flaherty's wife, two women we know "made it on their own merit" -- I apologize for the snicker. Perhaps Erin O'Toole could "present" as a woman, and wear dresses. A natural for the transsexual vote!

So Christine Elliott and Caroline Mulrony are only accomplished women because of who their husband and father were?

Bugs wrote:
Is there any other reason that her hat is in the ring?

And if we're replaying history here, this time in farce version to replace the original tragedy ... why not Catherine Clark?

Do not see my point? Is our political class now so specialized and above the People that you have to be born into it?

Do you not see that a panicked elite leading the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario made a decision that has made everything worse? So we go to more amateur poseurs, on the basis of family name? Isn't Justin enough proof of what that brings? Are we looking for Andrew Scheer level sheer magnetism once again?

The fact seems to be that the elite conservatives don't have their shit together anymore. For them, these things are vanity projects. There is no sense of emergency, of a need for something to be done, and no vision that people can rally to. They seem to think the office is a prize and that the People owe the office obedience.

That's not what's going to win an election except when the sitting government is so incompetent that they literally have wasted $billions undoing their previous bad decisions.

Can you imagine any male Conservative entering a political campaign these days without being prepared for this issue? If not, why do we suffer the pretensions of an elite if they aren't doing the leadership and planning thing?

As this thing shapes up, there is only one candidate on offer who has any real genuine pull with any segment of the people. And it isn't Caroline Kennedy -- oops -- Mulroney. It's the very one that you "royal jelly" people despise the most. Doug Ford!

He may have feet of clay, I don't know. Caroline and Eliot can run on the "every man is a potential rapist" theme that the party seems to have made its North Star.

Why should I vote for these people? That's a question you hope the other party will provide the answer to. That's just so weak and pathetic! Well, that's what I think. For you guys, it's different, I know. It's just a topic for conversation amongst the spectators.

Her name obviously carries a lot of weight and attracts attention. But she is clearly a very smart woman who brings a lot to the table besides her name. Her not having been previously elected is an issue, but neither was her father and neither was former PC leader John Tory.

Doug Ford's family is the only reason he's considered a serious candidate and he seems to be far less accomplished in life than the younger Mulroney. Why is a defeated mayoral candidate - who only entered the race and had support because his brother died - without any provincial political experience so much better than Mulroney? He can get by on his family name but she can't?

You can compare her to Trudeau and criticize him all you like but he has also been successful electorally and while you may disagree with his policies he remains a popular Prime Minister among the general public.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they accomplished? How do you know?

Isn't it a fact that the ONLY reason these two women are on the short list for the leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario is that they are associated with a husband or a father? Is there another reason?

Of all the accomplished women in Ontario, only these two come forth?

You suggest they're accomplished, in their own right. OK, show me their accomplishments.

Let's put the question the other way around: "So, being the brother of Rob Ford disqualifies Doug?"

--------------------------------------------------------

You do know that women's hockey is about Junior level, don't you? Yet we pretend that women's hockey is just as good as men's. Men treat women with a cushion of pretence because ... you know ... men are responsible for women's happiness.

We go into these pretences as a part of a social ritual. If we pretend every woman is worthy of the highest praise, so how can the daughters of a rich and connected schmoozer be less than divine?

Equally, we pretend that women and men are identical, and the only reason women haven't invented .. well ... anything ... and why they are generally so bad at math ... is because men make them act the way they do. Men make women pretend to be dumb because men are so dumb that they're easily fooled into thinking they're smart.

What about the other questions? Elliott has the better case, but she's a Red Tory. Nobody thinks we need more John Tory, do we? As for Mulroney, does she carry the family guilt for Meech Lake, the disaster that ended the Federal Progressive Conservative Party? What does she say about all that that says she learned anything from it?

Whereas you seem to be willing to accept that every man is a potential rapist, even Patrick Brown and that he deserves to be abandoned in favour of such a creature of privilege. No need of even a wisp of corroborating evidence.

Does that really make sense to you, PT?

================================

Let's be clear -- there's more variation within the two sexes than there is between them. There is no reason that women can't compete but -- in my view -- there is no equity consideration when you are looking for a head of government.

In politics, the contenders ought to have followers independent of the party. They ought to have public positions and a record of having worked to achieve those ends. We see, particularly in municipal politics, women do well. And women have very responsible cabinet posts. But the Mulroney kid isn't going to take the Lisa Riatt path. She's on the escalator of class privilege, like Justin.

But PT -- and others -- don't think of the 'politics' part of politics. They think of the party as an organization more in the command-and-control sense. They think power resides in the offices of the party, which they do, but it is exactly the people who can pack the nominating meeting that ought to be put in such offices. Not a bunch of lawyers, agents for whoever, we never know.

Now that the sweaty, ''political" part seems to be over with.

The 'equity' ought to refer to the opportunity to compete. It becomes something Orwellian when it becomes a desired outcome. It's like staggering a race to make sure everyone comes to the finish line at a predetermined place. it requires so much manipulation to make the girls get their share of positions in boardrooms, for example, that you might as well say that the men compete for a share of the spots while the women are 'elevated' by some magic quota.

An example: this leadership thing. A leader that was just coming into his own on the back of a lot of promises and understandings, soliciting donations -- hard, draining work. A woman friend is solicited by an opposing media functionary, who tarts up her Patrick Brown story (that she tells her girlfriends) and publishes it. Solicited.

The party acted as judge and pronounced their leader guilty, stigmatizing him forever, without any corroborating evidence or an assessment of the accuser's credibility. Why
Because they think the association with someone accused of consensual sex with a woman he met in a bar is the last thing they want politically.

If "the Party" wanted Brown out, it's a clumsy dumb move, just from the timing point of view. To me, they aren't worthy of support. As a party. And if they are actng to close the race to bar anybody, they're rigging the game. Whoever is calling these shots ought to be identified.
Bugs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be clear here, I don't know much about Doug Ford. To some extent, he's riding on his brother's name, as much as Christine Elliott is on her husband's. I am not endorsing him. I just know, for some unstated reason, nobody wants him.

The unstated reasons are the point.

Canadian conservatives are hopelessly confused if they dream they can regain power by saying "Me too" to left-wing "Social Justice" policies. There is a growing number of people who think this nonsense has gone far enough -- but they're also afraid of the consequences. This lack of leadership only confirms them in their isolation.

Conservatives need somebody who will fight.

Quote:
New research suggests room for Rob Ford’s populist appeal to be duplicated
By Stephanie Levitz — Feb 4 2018

OTTAWA — Ask whether populist politics could ever gain national traction in Canada and the answer is immediate: well, Rob Ford already did it in Toronto.

The now-deceased former mayor's man-of-the-people appeal and his promises to "stop the gravy train" saw voters crown him king of Canada's largest city in an electoral upset that many would later liken to Donald Trump's surprise victory in the U.S.

Was it a one-off?

A new study by EKOS Research and The Canadian Press shows that the same world views held among Trump's supporters still exist in the areas where Ford found a great deal of support in 2010, the suburbs around Toronto's downtown.

The aggregation of polls covering more than 12,000 Canadians suggests those attitudes are equally in play in the suburbs of Montreal and Vancouver as well — raising the question of whether there too is a fertile ground for the same 21st century populism.

It's what EKOS calls an "ordered" view of the world: people questioning the current political status quo, feeling economically and cultural insecure and believing neither they nor their children have a bright future and perhaps might even be slipping backwards.

ONTARIO

Ford's brother Doug is hoping to tap into those feelings in his current bid for leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party. At a rally to launch his campaign on Saturday night, that message resonated with supporter Kim King who said she doesn't usually vote conservative but will this year.

"The poor is getting poorer, and there's more of us than the rich," she said.

"And while yes, you can say he's a rich man representing the poor, the truth is, he still hangs out in the same places as the poor, and he still hangs out as one of the guys, and I think that's where the appreciation comes from.

"The elitists, we only see them once every four years."

Leadership races and municipal elections might be the most likely places for populist politics to manifest, suggests Michael McGregor, a Ryerson University professor who is the lead investigator on a national study of municipal elections.

In most municipal elections, there's either no party system at all or the one that exists doesn't align explicitly with the known organizations at the provincial or federal levels.

"It's not ideological in the traditional sense — is there anything ideological about transit or garbage collection?," he said.

"The other thing is that turnout at the municipal level tends to be lower. And when turnout is lower, elections are more susceptible to increases in turnout among certain groups. If there's a group particularly hyped up about something they will turn up and turn the tide."

That's often the case with leadership races, he pointed out ,where candidates scramble to sign up members by appealing to narrow interests.

EKOS' study to explore populist sentiment plotted attitudes along the open-ordered spectrum explicitly because the current political environment doesn't cleave neatly between right and left, said company President Frank Graves.

It's become a question of what kind of future people see ahead of them, he said. Those on the open side are optimistic, those on the ordered side less so.

"The debates, the things which are dividing people into these open/ordered camps, they are different (than those) which divide us historically on left and right," he said. [....]
https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2018/02/04/new-research-suggests-room-for-rob-fords-populist-appeal-to-be-duplicated/#.Wnd6r6inHIV
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Phillips staying out of Ont. PC Leadership race; will support Caroline Mulroney instead

Rod Phillips
In this file photo, Rod Phillips speaks after being introduced at a news conference in Toronto on Thursday, May 19, 2011. (The Canadian Press/Frank Gunn)

Joshua Freeman, CTV News Toronto
Published Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:01PM EST

Rod Phillips will not be joining the Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership race and will instead throw his support behind Caroline Mulroney’s expected leadership run, CTV News Toronto has learned.

In a statement obtained by CTV News Toronto, Phillips said he’s “humbled” by the many friends and party activists who have urged him to run, but that “it is more urgent than ever that we choose a leader who can unite our party, and defeat Kathleen Wynne.”

“After speaking with my wife Lydia, consulting close friends I’ve made over my many years in the party, and reflecting on what it will take to bring our party together and to win the coming election, I have concluded that Caroline Mulroney is the leader Ontario’s PCs need, and I am committing my support to her,” Phillips said in the statement.

“Caroline and I, like many of our Party’s candidates across Ontario, represent a new generation of inclusive and accountable leadership for the Progressive Conservative Party. Caroline will unite our party and lead us to victory in June, and I look forward to working closely with her to achieve that.”

Phillips, the former chair of Postmedia, had been one of a number of rumored leadership candidates since the sudden resignation of Patrick Brown touched off a leadership race last month.

Brown stepped down Jan. 25, amid allegations of sexual misconduct by two women. He maintains that the allegations are untrue, but said he would nevertheless step aside as he defends against them.

A leadership vote is expected to take place next month to select a new leader.

So far, former Toronto city councilor Doug Ford and former MPP Christine Elliott have officially declared that they are running.

A source has told CP24 that Caroline Mulroney is planning to jump into the leadership contest as well. Mulroney, a lawyer and the daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, is the confirmed PC candidate for the riding of York-Simcoe and is widely expected to officially launch her leadership bid on Monday.

While Phillips won’t be seeking the party leadership, he is the confirmed candidate for the riding of Ajax. He said he will be urging his supporters and all those who encouraged him to run to instead support Mulroney.

“We have the opportunity to choose a determined, fresh and dynamic leader, in Caroline Mulroney,” he said in the statement. “Caroline has my enthusiastic support, because she will unite our party and lead us to victory.”

Party working to rebuild

Whoever does win the top job will be faced with the task of uniting the party just months ahead of the provincial election in June.

In addition to Brown’s departure, former party President Rick Dykstra suddenly announced he was stepping down from his role on Jan. 28, hours before a sexual assault allegation emerged against him. Dykstra has denied the allegation.

None of the allegations against Brown or Dykstra have been proven in court.

In a further blow to the party, news also emerged a week ago that the party’s internal database was hacked. The database contains the names, phone numbers and other personal information of over a million eligible voters in the province, as well as party supporters, donors and campaign volunteers.

In a statement, the party said no data was actually stolen in the breach. Still, they vowed to tighten security around their systems.

Interim Ontario PC Leader Vic Fedeli, who abandoned his own leadership bid in order to work on rooting out the “rot” from the party, said last week that internal party structure and systems are in worse shape than he expected.

Still Fedeli expressed optimism that he will be able to get the party in shape in time for a new leader to run a smooth election.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/rod-phillips-staying-out-of-ont-pc-leadership-race-will-support-caroline-mulroney-instead-1.3789284
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTV National News: Caroline Mulroney in the race

Political rookie Caroline Mulroney announced on Twitter that she will run for leadership of the Ontario PC Party. John Vennavally-Rao explai

Shawn Jeffords and Paola Loriggio, The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, February 4, 2018 5:10PM EST
Last Updated Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:13PM EST

TORONTO -- Caroline Mulroney, the Toronto lawyer and daughter of former prime minister Brian Mulroney, is running to become the leader of Ontario's Progressive Conservative Party.

Mulroney confirmed the news, which has been rumoured for over a week, in a series of interviews Sunday afternoon at a hockey arena in north Toronto. She took questions from reporters between watching her two boys play on their Triple A teams.

The 43-year-old mother of four said despite the recent turmoil within the party after the sudden resignation of former leader Patrick Brown, the Tories can come together and win the June 7 provincial election.

"After 15 years of Liberal government we need a fresh change," she said. "People are tired. They want a new government. They want something new. So, I decided to put my name forward."

Mulroney believes she's the candidate to unite the disparate wings of the PC family, despite never having held elected office.

"I am committed to making sure that we deliver this change," she said. "People deserve a government that cares about them. As I've been knocking on doors, I know that I can be that leader and provide that leadership to the party."

After taking a quick break between interviews to snack on french fries her husband Andrew Lapham brings by, Mulroney gets down to business, addressing the criticisms which have already been levelled at her.

"That means they're nervous," she said of her competitors in the race. "I can't control what other campaigns do. All I can do is make sure I can run a campaign that's true to the kind of person that I am."

Mulroney has already been criticized for spending part of her life outside of Canada -- she attended Harvard and New York University -- but she says the attacks don't hold up.

"That's just a misstatement of fact," she said. "I've lived the majority of my life in Canada and Ontario."

Just hours after confirming she was in the race, Mulroney received a key endorsement from another rumoured candidate. Former Postmedia executive Rod Phillips said he will not seek the leadership and will throw is support behind Mulroney.

"Caroline and I, like many of our Party's candidates across Ontario, represent a new generation of inclusive and accountable leadership for the Progressive Conservative Party," Phillips, who's also the PC candidate for Ajax, said in a statement. "Caroline will unite our party and lead us to victory in June, and I look forward to working closely with her to achieve that."

Mulroney also weighed-in on some of the most difficult issues facing the Tories as they try to re-group following Brown's resignation. She intends to consult party members about the PC platform -- the so-called People's Guarantee -- but says it's too early to say if she'd want to make changes to the document.

"I'll make sure we're open to conversations, but it's Day One of my campaign," she said.

Mulroney said she will stick to the PC pledge to cancel the Ontario government's cap-and-trade climate change plan, but hinted that she will keep the Tory platform's carbon tax, which funds most of the spending in the plan.

"This is something the federal government is imposing on all of the provinces," she said. "We have a choice to let them keep the revenue and administer it or we can make sure that we ... put the money back in people's pockets. I think we would be better suited to doing that than the Liberals are."

Mulroney also said she will not re-open the divisive debate about the Liberal government's sex education curriculum update.

Politics is just the latest move in a diverse career for Mulroney, who was acclaimed as a Progressive Conservative candidate in the riding of York-Simcoe, north of Toronto, last August.

In 2014, she was appointed to the Windsor Detroit Bridge Authority to help oversee the development of a $4 billion second border span between the two cities.

In 2011, Mulroney co-founded the Shoebox Project, a non-profit that collects and distributes gifts to women who are homeless or at risk.

Prior to announcing her political plans, she served as vice-president of Toronto-based BloombergSen Investment Partners, and used to work at a venture debt fund.

"It wasn't her plan to seek the leadership. She was very, very focused on the riding and on the community and that's where her efforts went," said Peter Van Loan, a legislator with the federal Conservative Party who acted as an adviser to Mulroney.

Though new to politics, Mulroney has shown herself to be hardworking and genuine, which has won her support in the community -- even among those who may judge her based on the family name, Van Loan said.

"She has intrinsic strengths and intrinsic talents of her own, whatever her name may be," he said.

Mulroney's lack of political experience will likely be her biggest challenge, particularly against more seasoned candidates.

But Kathy Brock, a policy expert and political science professor at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., said it could also play in her favour, bringing some freshness to the Tories at a time where their interim leader has vowed to clear out the "rot" from the party.

"This is one of the ways in which being more of a newcomer ... might actually be an advantage, given what the Conservatives are going through," Brock said.

Brown and former party president Rick Dykstra resigned within days of each other after being confronted with allegations of sexual misconduct, which they deny. The allegations have not been independently verified by The Canadian Press.

Mulroney's entry into the race means there will now be two high-profile women competing for the Tory reins, which could bolster the party's image, Brock said. Former Tory legislator Christine Elliott threw her hat in the ring in the last week.

"That might be the type of thing that they need to get over the incident with Dykstra and Patrick Brown. It just gives them a new focus and new energy and it makes them look a little more current with the times," Brock said.

Toronto politician Doug Ford, brother of the city's late former mayor Rob Ford, is also in the running.

Candidates have until Feb. 16 to register, and the new leader will be announced March 10.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/caroline-mulroney-joins-ontario-pc-leadership-race-1.3789245
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Phillips was my 1st choice,
Bit disappointing.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Red Tories seem to be first off the mark with their candidate Caroline Mulroney. Not that this would have anything to do with the palace coup that just took place.

Do qualifications count? Perhaps someone could show me the resume?

Or is it just the magic of genetics and family name? Maybe it'd be simpler to just define a list of dynastic families, and eliminate the nomination process altogether. Perhaps even give them a heraldic device, and perhaps a castle with a village or two.

Not that I am against that. It's just that I'm so old I remember when we got leaders like Leslie Frost, John Robarts, and Bill Davis. You know, people who actually built the province rather than ran it down.

Now it seems the premiership is just another resume fattener for Harvard law grads on he make.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDITORIAL: Time for change

More from Postmedia News

Published:
February 6, 2018

Updated:
February 6, 2018 5:03 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
Opinion ›
Editorials ›

Christine Elliott (left) and Caroline Mulroney are both going to run for Ontario PC leader, the Toronto Sun has learned. (JEFFREY OUGLER/POSTMEDIA NETWORK FILE PHOTO/SUBMITTED PHOTO)

The purpose of political leadership campaigns is to test candidates and ideas, to subject potential leaders to the fire of party scrutiny before the real thing.

Leadership campaigns aren’t about who the public likes best.

Ontario’s current Premier, Kathleen Wynne and her predecessor Dalton McGuinty were not the front-runners in their respective leadership races.

In both cases the Liberal party establishment and a fair number of caucus members rallied around other potential leaders.

McGuinty won because he did the legwork necessary to become candidate’s second choice and Wynne by dint of her strong ground team, performance and ability to convince delegates she was ready to govern.

Ontario’s PC Party elects a new leader March 10 to replace Patrick Brown, felled in spectacularly public fashion months before the June 7 provincial election by allegations of sexual misconduct, allegations he’s denied.

Conservative party members now have three strong candidates to consider, each with compelling strengths, arguable weaknesses and a story to tell Ontario voters.

Christine Elliott is smart, experienced and tested, having spent years at Queen’s Park as an MPP and deputy leader. She ran for party leadership twice previously, which some argue as a negative but on the other hand provides valuable familiarity with what’s needed to win.

Doug Ford is a rock star among his “Ford Nation” base, a former Toronto councillor and populist who won broad support across the city but narrowly lost the last mayoral race to John Tory. Ford connects with average people, but at the same time is arguably the most polarizing candidate.

Doug Ford greets supporters after speaking at his – Rally for a Stronger Ontario – regarding his bid for the Ontario PC leadership at the Toronto Congress Centre in Toronto, Ont. on Saturday February 3, 2018.

Caroline Mulroney brings impressive private sector accomplishments and, as the daughter of Canada’s former prime minister, instant name recognition. While Mulroney lacks direct political experience, she also offers the potential to take a party struggling with image challenges in a new, positive direction.

Grassroots conservatives, meanwhile, now have the task of deciding who leads them into the broader campaign against Wynne’s Liberals.

All three candidates have expressed the need for “change” in Ontario and that must continue to be a key focus of the new leader.

After 15 years of Liberal scandal and mismanagement, voters in this province desperately need and are ready for real change

http://torontosun.com/opinion/.....for-change
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short, 3-way race is far from bad news for Ontario PCs

By L. Ian MacDonald. Published on Feb 7, 2018 4:58am

Cartoon by Malcolm Mayes, Edmonton Journal

There’s never been a shorter race than the six-week campaign for the Progressive Conservative leadership of Ontario.

It means three things are incredibly important in setting up competitive advantage —name recognition, an “air game” in mainstream and social media, and enough money to get into and stay in the race.

All of which lead to Get Out the Vote, GOTV, the ground game of signing up party members and getting them to vote in the preferential electronic ballot between March 2-8, leading to the announcement in Toronto on March 10.

Campaigns have only until February 16, a week from Friday, to sign up new members at $10 a head. Meantime, in terms of money, it costs $125,000 just to join the race — a $75,000 entry fee, $25,000 for rules “compliance” and another $25,000 for access to the membership list. Oh, and by the way, it turns out that a party audit shows there are only 127,000 PC party members, not the 200,000 claimed last fall by ousted leader Patrick Brown. Putting out a verifiable and credible list is an important task for interim leader Vic Fideli.

The time constraints and the rules of the game have considerably narrowed the field to only three candidates — Christine Elliott, Doug Ford and Caroline Mulroney.

All of them definitely have “name-recognition”: Elliott as a former MPP and two-time leadership candidate in 2009 and 2015; Ford as a former 2014 Toronto mayoral-candidate and the surviving brother of Rob Ford’s Nation; and Mulroney as the daughter of Brian and Mila Mulroney.

And all of them have core supporters. Elliott is recognized for her experience; Ford is a populist voice against “the elites”; and Mulroney is the voice of generational and progressive change.

There was supposed to be a fourth candidate — Rod Phillips, former Postmedia CEO and head of the Ontario lottery, who is running in the Greater Toronto Area riding of Ajax. He wouldn’t have had any problem raising the $125,000 entry fee, but after looking at his prospects, he instead endorsed Mulroney on Sunday, just before she announced her own candidacy at a Super Bowl party at her home in her riding of York-Simcoe. Nobody following the race missed that, even on Super Sunday.

So, a three-way race, which sets up very well for the Ontario PCs for the party brand, much more so than last year’s federal Conservative campaign, which had 16 candidates on stage. They and the mainstream media can organize several candidates’ debates over the next month that will not only accentuate their own differences, but put the focus on the party’s core message of “time for a change” with the Liberals.

After 15 years of Liberal government, that is the Conservatives’ ballot question. And it’s pretty hard to screw it up. On fiscal frameworks, for example, the Liberals have nearly tripled the debt of Ontario from $133 billion to $312 billion in the 2017 budget. As a result of which Ontario has become a recipient of federal equalization payments. Imagine that—Ontario as a have-not province. Then there’s hydro-bills, going through the roof. And that’s just for starters on the Tory voters’ grievance list.

Premier Kathleen Wynne’s approval rating is hovering around 20 per cent, not good numbers heading into an election. But the Liberals have improved their party brand support by increasing the minimum wage to $14 an hour and offering free meds to voters under 25.

Ford’s challenge isn’t to deliver his base, but to expand it, in the 10 days before the membership list closes. And his problem there is that the Ford Nation is in the suburban GTA, but is virtually uncharted in eastern, southwestern and northern Ontario.

Either Elliott or Mulroney would change the Conservative narrative from one of allegations of sexual misconduct by a male leader, to a party led by a woman. Indeed, all three major parties would be led by a woman, a first in Ontario or any Canadian province.

Elliott’s positioning statement and hashtag is that she’s ready to lead. Mulroney promises to #getitdone. A woman of experience versus a fresh face.

Elliott, 62, has a lot friends in caucus from the decade she was with them at Queen’s Park. She must also be hoping that third time will be lucky for her in leadership races—she finished third in 2009 behind Tim Hudak and Frank Klees. In 2015, despite deep caucus support, she lost to a career federal backbench MP, Patrick Brown, who had a better ground game. She’s giving up her job security as Ontario’s patient ombudsman to make the race, so she evidently still wants to be in the game.

Mulroney, at 43, represents generational change. She’s a mother of four, a lawyer and businesswoman. She had a year to establish herself as the candidate in the safe Tory riding of York-Simcoe, but only a week to decide whether to make this race. But as she’s undoubtedly realized, if you don’t run, you don’t win.

In many ways, she is a chip off both parental blocks, with the political instincts of her father and the grace of her mother. That adds up to a sense of occasion. She also has the ability to fill a room without making it about her. She’s a very good listener. She’s sure to be tested in the coming weeks but she’s known as a quick study, one who takes a brief very well.

For the Ontario PCs, this is not the winter they expected, but neither is it the winter of their discontent.

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/02/07/short-3-way-race-far-bad-news-ontario-pcs/
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way ... the woman you are calling Caroline Mulroney is actually Caroline Lapham. She's married into the super-rich (Harpur's Magazine) Lapham family. She was Caroline Lapham when she was appointed to the Windsor Detroit Bridge Authority.

But women don't lie -- ever, and you're a pig for even thinking they do -- so she must have magic powers that allow her optional last names ... having two "name recognition" names ... kind of like choosing to be a lesbian or a trans today.

I dunno, the smooth entry into the leadership race ... it smacks of foreknowledge and preparation. Her candidacy illustrates all the worst qualities of democracy and the mob.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still early, but Christine Elliott has most caucus support in PC leadership race

Elliott has nine MPPs supporting her so far to five for Caroline Mulroney and one for former Toronto councillor Doug Ford.

Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Christine Elliott has the early lead when it comes to support from the PC caucus. Elliott lost to former party leader Patrick Brown in 2015.

By Rob FergusonQueen's Park Bureau

Wed., Feb. 7, 2018

It’s no guarantee of a win, but former Progressive Conservative MPP Christine Elliott has taken an early lead in caucus support for the party’s March 10 leadership race.

Elliott, who quit as Ontario’s patient ombudsman last Thursday to join the contest to replace Patrick Brown, has nine MPPs in her camp so far to five for investment executive Caroline Mulroney and one for one-time Toronto councillor Doug Ford.

“Your vote of confidence means a lot,” Elliott tweeted Wednesday.

Not including Brown, who resigned Jan. 25 following allegations of sexual misconduct he calls “false,” another five MPPs are staying independent in the race and seven apparently remain undecided or undeclared, including Sam Oosterhoff of Niagara West-Glanbrook.

The 20-year-old tweeted he is looking for a candidate showing “value for life & the rights of parents,” nods to his anti-abortion stance and belief moms and dads should control the sex education their children receive in school.

Leadership candidates have been using their social media accounts to flag prominent supporters — including federal MPs, PC candidates for the June 7 provincial election and notable politicos, such as Toronto councillor and deputy mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong, who is backing Mulroney for her “star potential.”

With a Feb. 16 deadline for signing up new party members fast approaching, the leadership camps hope the glow of endorsements will bear fruit.

All three contenders have been hammering home the need for supporters to sign up online or on paper and pay the $10 fee so they can vote when balloting begins in the first week of March.

“There’s only nine days left to buy or renew your @ontariopcparty membership!,” Mulroney, whose father is former prime minister Brian Mulroney, tweeted Wednesday.

“Must be a PC member so you can vote. Get yours at http://FordForLeader.ca ),” Doug Ford’s campaign @FordNation posted on Twitter.

Ford, a successful businessman and brother of late mayor Rob Ford, has lamented the short time frame for memberships, complaining the Feb. 16 cut-off is too soon given voting doesn’t begin until March 2.

Elliott’s caucus backers are mindful of lessons learned in her bruising 2015 defeat by Brown, who sold more party memberships and won the leadership by a margin of 62 per cent to 38 per cent.

Only a handful of MPPs supporting Elliott in that race — by the end she was backed by 19 of 28 – managed to deliver the support of their ridings to her.

“Don’t take anything for granted,” Elliott campaign co-chair Todd Smith, MPP for Prince Edward-Hastings, said Wednesday, arguing Elliott has the necessary experience to lead the party in a campaign against Premier Kathleen Wynne.

“It’s going to come down to who can organize quickest and most efficiently,” he added. “You’ve got to get out there and talk to people and make sure they get out and vote.”

Aside from Smith, the MPPs supporting Elliott are Ted Arnott, Randy Hillier, Jim Wilson, Lorne Coe, Ernie Hardeman, Michael Harris, Randy Pettapiece, and Bill Walker.

Mulroney enjoys the backing of veteran MPPs John Yakabuski and Norm Miller, son of former premier Frank Miller, along with MPPs Jeff Yurek, Bob Bailey, and Monte McNaughton, who ran in the 2015 leadership and quit shortly before the vote, throwing his support to Brown.

Raymond Cho, the MPP for Scarborough-Rouge River, is supporting Ford, saying “we need a proven leadership that can win seats, not only in the traditional PC ridings, also in Toronto.”

The following MPPs have also not yet declared support, according to a Star survey: Toby Barrett, Sylvia Jones, Gila Martow, Jim McDonnell, Rick Nicholls, and Laurie Scott.

MPPs staying independent are finance critic Lisa MacLeod, deputy leader Steve Clark, caucus chair Lisa Thompson, leadership election organizing committee member Julia Munro and interim PC leader Vic Fedeli.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/02/07/its-still-early-but-christine-elliott-has-most-caucus-support-in-pc-leadership-race.html
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( is currently 3 candidates and anyone else who wants to run has until feb 16 )

Candidates for Ont. Progressive Conservative leadership must register by Feb. 16

The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, February 1, 2018 11:13AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:48PM EST

TORONTO -- Ontario's Progressive Conservatives have laid out the rules that will govern the race to replace Patrick Brown, whose resignation amid allegations of sexual misconduct threw the party off course last week.

Those seeking to take the reins -- or help decide who will -- must register with the party by Feb. 16, with the vote set to begin a few weeks later.

Under the rules, leadership candidates must submit their paperwork and $100,000 in fees and deposits by the February date, with another $25,000 due later to access the party's membership list. Each candidate's campaign spending cannot exceed $750,000, according to the document.

Ontario residents who wish to help select the new Tory leader must become party members by that same date.

Votes will be cast electronically between March 2 and March 8, and the results will be announced March 10, the rules say.

"We have almost 30-35 days, so that is one of the best options in front of us, so it will be mostly electronic voting," party president Jag Badwal told Wednesday night after a meeting of the party's executive.

The party's leadership election organizing committee has said the Tories would stick to a one-member one-vote rule.

Caucus had recommended that the party's interim leader, Vic Fedeli, stay on through the June election, drawing objections from those who argued the party membership should have a say. The party executive chose to overrule caucus and hold a leadership race before the spring campaign.

Fedeli announced soon afterwards that he would not be seeking to make his role permanent. Two other legislators considered potential candidates, Monte McNaughton and Lisa MacLeod, have also ruled out a run for the top spot.

So far, only one candidate has thrown his hat in the ring for the leadership.

Former Toronto city councillor Doug Ford, brother of the city's late former mayor Rob Ford, has vowed to take on what he called the party's elites and give a voice to the party's grassroots.

Other potential candidates include Caroline Mulroney, the daughter of former prime minister Brian Mulroney, former Postmedia executive Rod Phillips and PC energy critic Todd Smith.

The party has been in turmoil since Brown stepped down after vehemently denying sexual misconduct allegations reported by CTV News. The Tories also had to deal with the party's president leaving his post on Sunday amid a separate allegation of sexual assault reported by Maclean's magazine. None of the allegations have been verified by The Canadian Press.

Asked how the upheaval in the Opposition would affect the upcoming election, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said what happens with the Tories is outside of her control.

"The Tories will either be energized or depleted by their process, that's up to them," she said.

Regardless of who is chosen as leader, there will be a "strong contrast" between the two parties' policies, she said.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/candidates-for-ont-progressive-conservative-leadership-must-register-by-feb-16-1.3785146
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why even have the election, then? Why let the general membership have a say -- it isn't as if the leadership gives a rat's ass about them anyway. (Look at how Scheer treated the members that put him over the top. But that was federal -- this is provincial politics, where nobody's looking so you can really take the gloves off.

Nominations close in ten days. Then, how long will the campaign be allowed to run?

This is a party that can't be loyal to its own leader because of its ego problems. But they can be loyal to the family of the schmoozer who waited only days to pick up $100,000 in unmarked bills in a hotel room and then smuggle it into Canada.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Why even have the election, then? Why let the general membership have a say -- it isn't as if the leadership gives a rat's ass about them anyway. (Look at how Scheer treated the members that put him over the top. But that was federal -- this is provincial politics, where nobody's looking so you can really take the gloves off.

Nominations close in ten days. Then, how long will the campaign be allowed to run?

This is a party that can't be loyal to its own leader because of its ego problems. But they can be loyal to the family of the schmoozer who waited only days to pick up $100,000 in unmarked bills in a hotel room and then smuggle it into Canada.

well they have no choice but to have the election at this point , its already been called and 3 candidates are running

its looking like Brown's biggest mistake was his support of a carbon tax , none of the 3 leadership candidates want to support one publically , Ford is the most against idea but Mulroney and Elliott have also come out against one

there seems to be very little support among ont pc members for a carbon tax , brown for some reason decided to go against logic and impose one , although trudeau might end up imposing one on Ontario anyways regardless of what pc's do
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that and you are right, I am so disappointed in the Ontario Progressive Conservative party's lack of character ...

And we are being stampeded into direct rule by a dynastic New England/Montreal dynasty?

This is the problem. The cancer eating society right now is gender/identity politics, which conservatives ought to (in a moral and rational universe) be instinctively rallying to oppose. There is hardly anyone on here, save TC, who even recognizes the cultural wars, and he can't be honest. None of the PCs seem to even think of the social world we are leaving our kids. I have goaded to the point of insult. There's no interest. I should resist my tendency to be churlish.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: