Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toronto Centre

votes: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... would anyone be happy with Doug Ford?
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Cat Reply with quote

Beats the shit out of Caroline Mulroney.

... first time as tragedy, second ... farce ... how's it go, all you Marxists out there?

I think these time-travellers have it backwards and mixed up. If it's going to Justin the Lesser Trudeau, shouldn't it be Catherine Clark -- or is it Clark-McTeer ... um ... or maybe McTeer-Clark? Anyway, Catherine "Me too" Clark. Maybe appropriate, if you want another decade of opposition.

Caroline's term comes after Catherine blows it. Even more farcically.

How about Kevin O'Leary?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PCs to endorse open leadership campaign Wednesday: Insiders

James Wallace

Published:
January 31, 2018

Updated:
January 31, 2018 7:41 AM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
News ›
Ontario ›

Ontario’s Progressive Conservative Party, staggered by sexual impropriety allegations and the resignation of its leader and president, expects Wednesday to address its problematic leadership vacuum, senior insiders told the Toronto Sun.

The party executive intends, sources said, to support an open leadership campaign that could come as early as March 10 or 11, and no later than March 24, when rank-and-file conservatives will elect a new leader to replace Patrick Brown.

Or viewed another way, those within the party who had been lobbying to forgo a grassroots vote in favor of an appointed leader couldn’t muster the support to make that happen.

Which is the best news the Tories have had in more than a week.

Conservatives are still reeling from allegations against Brown and former party president Rick Dykstra and senior party leaders are preparing to stage a leadership race just months before the June 7 vote.

“The executive voted last week to hold a leadership contest,” Marc Marzotto, a vice-president and Membership Committee Chair of the Ontario PC Party, told the Sun.

“Our vote (Wednesday) will revolve around rules for it,” Marzotto said.

Those rules for a shortened leadership contest are still being finalized but are expected to include a high, six-figure entry fee and permit “outsiders,” meaning those not currently running as candidates, to enter.

Justin Van Dette, an PC executive member regional vice-president for Toronto, also told the Sun he’ll support a grassroots vote.

“We’ve already made our decision that we’re going to go ahead with the vote,” Van Dette said. “We want to include the grassroots moving forward the way we are to be fast and while also at the same time, making sure we’re very efficient and bringing in experienced people who have done these campaigns before.”

With a shortened leadership campaign apparently set, three candidates appear to have emerged as frontrunners to replace Brown:

Caroline Mulroney, a lawyer, investment fund vice-president, daughter of former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and PC candidate for York-Simcoe, is expected to announce her intention to run Thursday or Friday;

Former Toronto councillor and mayoral candidate Doug Ford, who has already declared his intention to run, and;

Rod Phillips, former Postmedia chair, president and CEO of the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corp. and Shepell.fgi and a PC candidate for Ajax, is also expected to announce his intentions in the coming days.

Vic Fedeli, who was appointed interim leader following Brown’s resignation, announced Tuesday he won’t run for leader, but instead intends to focus on addressing problems within the party.

Fedeli told reporters he plans to focus on “any rot” within the party structure, and cited concerns over the state of the party’s 200,000-plus membership list following a “ransomware attack” last fall.

“It has been a chaotic time for our party,” Fedeli said. “Quite frankly, a steady hand is needed at our helm for our party today.”

Sources told the Sun the party’s Ontario PC fund, which controls the pursestrings for the June 7 election campaign, has been temporarily frozen and efforts may be underway to audit the membership before a vote.

Meanwhile, other potential leadership candidates, including MPPs Monte McNaughton and Lisa McLeod, have also withdrawn their names from consideration, in McLeod’s case to support Fedeli and take on a new role as party finance critic.

“I look forward to holding the Wynne government to account on these important matters,” she said in a statement.

“Despite the tumultuous events of the last week, I firmly believe our party has and will come away stronger and more focused on defeating Kathleen Wynne and the Ontario Liberals, so that we can begin the work of repairing our Province and rebuilding our economy.”

The chaos of the past few weeks is hardly behind Ontario’s conservatives, but the common sense missing over the past several days has finally resurfaced.

PC LEADERSHIP VOTE 101

On Friday, the PC party’s Leadership Election Organizing Committee was formed and tasked with coming up with a draft set of rules for the leadership contest — such as filing fees and spending limits.

On Sunday, they met and chose lawyer Hartley Lefton as their chair.

On Wednesday afternoon, Lefton will present his committee’s draft rules to the party’s executive which can then approve, amend or reject them.

There are no plans afoot to exclude any outside candidates such as Doug Ford.

In his update email to the executive, Lefton said their proposals are to make this the “most open and inclusive” process in party history.

If their draft rules are ratified, the race is officially on to “choose a leader we’ll be proud to take to Ontarians to replace the Wynne government.”

http://torontosun.com/news/pro.....y-insiders
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it appears Ford wants to run in etobicoke north regardless of if he wins the leadership or not )

Ford to seek nomination for Etobicoke North

Postmedia News

Published:
January 30, 2018

Updated:
January 30, 2018 9:43 PM EST

Filed Under:

Toronto SUN ›
News ›
Ontario ›

Doug Ford announces his intention to seek the leader of the PC party on Monday, Jan. 29, 2018. (Kevin Connor/Toronto Sun)

He was first out of the gate to express his intention to run to be the next leader of Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives, and now Doug Ford intends to seek the party’s nomination in familiar territory –Etobicoke North.

Ford, who represented Etobicoke North (Ward 2) on Toronto City Council for one term and was unsuccessful in his bid to be mayor in 2014, is now a perceived front runner to replace former PC leader Patrick Brown who resigned last week following sexual misconduct allegations.

As the PC executive prepares to vote Wednesday on the rules guiding the leadership race — set for mid-March — Ford wants to assure members he’s committed to the party and Ontarians for the long-term.

“I am proud to announce that I will be seeking the nomination in Etobicoke North. It would be an honour to represent the great residents in the riding,” Ford said.

The next provincial election is scheduled to take place on June 7.

http://torontosun.com/news/pro.....coke-north
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
So... would anyone be happy with Doug Ford?

As leader?
No.

As a candidate in Etobicoke North?
Why not.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there might be 1 current mpp entering the race , Ross Romano the new mpp from sault ste marie is apparently thinking about it )

Ross Romano‏ @RossRomanoSSM · 38m38 minutes ago

2/2 I have been speaking with my wife and family about this opportunity. I am blessed to have their support. We will be making our decision within the coming days. Thank you to all of you who have placed so much faith and consideration in me. It is sincerely appreciated #onpoli

1/2 Over the last few days I have been humbled to have a number of people encouraging me to join the race for the leadership of the @OntarioPCParty
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a new pc leader will be selected march 10th , earlier than originally expected )

Ontario PC leadership race is on: here's how it shapes up

The battle to replace Patrick Brown will be short, and quite likely nasty and brutish, too

By Mike Crawley, CBC News Posted: Feb 01, 2018 5:00 AM ET| Last Updated: Feb 01, 2018 5:00 AM ET

Doug Ford (background) helped Raymond Cho (right) win a byelection in Scarborough-Rouge River for the Ontario PCs, under then-leader Patrick Brown

For the vast majority of people, life was "nasty, brutish, and short" in the 17th century, according to English philosopher Thomas Hobbes.

His words could well apply to the Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership race of 2018.

The new leader will be announced on March 10, barely six weeks after Patrick Brown's emotional denial of sexual misconduct allegations and his abrupt resignation hours later.
■Ontario Progressive Conservatives to announce new leader on March 10

That certainly makes it short, in fact one of the shortest leadership campaigns in Canadian history. With little time for the traditional grunt work that wins these things (signing up new members), expect an air war to try to win over the party's existing grassroots.

Nasty and brutish? These past few days, the PCs have let everybody see how divided they are, laying bare the schism between the people that Brown brought to the party and those who considered his team as hostile takeover agents.

A nominated PC candidate alleged an MPP harassed and intimidated her. A member of Parliament and close friend of Brown called his ouster "an inside job" and claimed party officials are now trying to strip the memberships of tens of thousands of people. The interim leader decided things are so bad in the party that he would not run for the leadership and instead focus on "rooting out the rot."

And that's just the dirty laundry aired publicly. All week, PC insiders have told me privately about strife, wrangling and infighting, allegations of dirty tricks and strong-arming. "The knives are out and there's blood on the floor," said one.

So, here's who's in the leadership race and others who may take a shot:

Doug Ford

Until Patrick Brown's resignation, all the signs indicated Doug Ford would be running for mayor of Toronto in 2018. He may still end up doing that as well, but for now Ford is the only declared candidate for the PC leadership. He announced his intention to run on Monday. Many people in the PCs tell me the timing was a pre-emptive strike by Ford to prevent the party executive from drawing up rules that would exclude him from the race.
■Here`s why Doug Ford could win the PC leadership

Ford jumped into politics by aiding his brother Rob's successful "stop the gravy train" run for Toronto mayor in 2010, while comfortably winning Rob's longtime city council seat in that same election. He then ran for mayor in 2014 when his brother was fighting the cancer that later killed him, losing to John Tory. As one of the heirs of the family business Deco Labels, Ford is a millionaire, while his political pitch is like Rob's: speak up for the taxpayer and speak out against "the elites."

Caroline Mulroney

Elite might be a word that gets tossed at Caroline Mulroney, should she run for the leadership. The Harvard-educated daughter of a former prime minister, Mulroney has a law degree from NYU, and work experience on Wall Street. She has never held elected office and has only rarely faced the media, beyond this quick interview with CBCs Catherine Cullen at last year's federal Conservative leadership convention.

Brown-Mulroney
Former Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown attended the party's nomination meeting in York-Simcoe last September when Caroline Mulroney was named the party's candidate. (Twitter)

After she was acclaimed as an Ontario PC candidate in September, Mulroney declined interview requests except with local news outlets in the riding of York-Simcoe. She has not spoken publicly since Brown's resignation, choosing instead to make statements on Twitter. My sources within the PCs indicate much of Brown's campaign apparatus has shifted to Mulroney, and most of the party's Bay Street fundraising muscle is with her, as well.

Rod Phillips

Rod Phillips has been more visible than Mulroney since Brown's departure, taking calls from reporters, giving interviews and showing up at Queen's Park this week. The former head of Ontario Lottery and Gaming says he is actively considering a run. Phillips is the PC candidate in Ajax. Like Mulroney, he has never held elected office.

My sources indicate he is backed by Paul Godfrey. That should surprise no one, since Godfrey served as chair of OLG during Phillips' tenure, while Phillips was chair of Postmedia until stepping down last fall to run for the PCs.

Rod Phillips and Patrick Brown
Rod Phillips (right), the PC candidate in Ajax, is considering running to replace former PC leader Patrick Brown (left). (Twitter)

Todd Smith

If he enters a race against Ford, Mulroney and Phillips, PC energy critic Todd Smith would be the dark horse candidate, as well as the only member of caucus. Smith worked in radio news in Belleville for 18 years before knocking off a Liberal cabinet minister in 2011, in the riding of Prince Edward-Hastings.

Todd Smith
PC energy critic Todd Smith has indicated he is considering a run for the party leadership. (Ontario Legislature)

He told me in an interview Wednesday that his decision will in large part depend on the leadership race rules set out by the party executive.

"I have serious concerns about being able to raise the funds that may be necessary to contend this race considering some of the people who are talking about entering," Smith said. He said he believes there is "a place in this race for somebody who has looked [Premier] Kathleen Wynne in the eyes and challenged her for some of her destructive policies."

Christine Elliott and Erin O'Toole

Some Tories are pushing the former deputy leader Christine Elliott to quit her job as Ontario's patient ombudsman and enter the race. But she lost in the last two PC leadership campaigns (in 2009 to Tim Hudak and in 2015 to Brown). My sources indicate she is getting contradictory advice from her closest friends, with some urging her to run and others telling her not to.

Erin O'Toole, the Conservative MP for Durham and son of the former PC MPP John O'Toole, says he is not ruling out a run.

"I got my start in many ways from the Ontario PC party," he told CBC News in Ottawa on Wednesday. "I have great friends, and support, and I've been talking with them about how I can help make sure we recover from this period quickly and win the next election," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4512138
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about it ... with the election in mid-March that leaves about two or three weeks for Ontarioans get to know her -- for surely, following the dictates of the weak heart and the bone head, the next candidate must be a woman, otherwise why did they go to all the trouble of scouring up some false charges.

That gives us a choice between Mulroney's daughter and Flaherty's wife, two women we know "made it on their own merit" -- I apologize for the snicker. Perhaps Erin O'Toole could "present" as a woman, and wear dresses. A natural for the transsexual vote!
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( after not being heard from since 2015 and no longer having a seat in the legislature , Christine Elliott is once again running for leadership , sorry couldn't paste article as computer went crazy and wouldn't work , another question is where would she run ? Whitby already has a new mpp Lorne Coe and I doubt he'd want to give up seat , also candidates nominated for pc's in all the durham ridings , she could run in Toronto but it be less of a sure thing )

National Post‏Verified account @nationalpost · 56m56 minutes ago

BREAKING: Christine Elliott to enter Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership race
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Caroline Mulroney is also running it appears )

Caroline Mulroney to run for Ontario PC leadership: source

Caroline Mulroney
Caroline Mulroney speaks after being named as the Ontario Progressive Conservatives nominee for the riding of York-Simcoe in Toronto on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - Caroline Mulroney Campaign

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:37PM EST
Last Updated Thursday, February 1, 2018 3:41PM EST

Caroline Mulroney will announce she plans to run for leadership of Ontario’s Progressive Conservative Party, CTV News sister station CP24 has learned.

The move follows wide-spread speculation about who will lead the party into the June 7 provincial election against Premier Kathleen Wynne in the wake of former PC leader Patrick Brown’s resignation over sexual harassment allegations.

More to follow.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/caroline-mulroney-to-run-for-ontario-pc-leadership-source-1.3785684
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of Indira Gandhi, and her family. The dynastic figures get jobs in government for their dim-witted children. If Justin gets to play PM, then why not Clark's daughter? Too bright, perhaps?

This is turning into a spectacle worthy of Circle de Soleil.

Is there not anybody on the bench that's any good? Someone proved, reliable. Somebody the public recognizes, and trusts. Is there not one of these in at least one part of the province?

If there isn't, what does that tell you?
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Caroline Mulroney shouldn't seek office because her father was Prime Minister?
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any other reason that her hat is in the ring?

And if we're replaying history here, this time in farce version to replace the original tragedy ... why not Catherine Clark?

Do not see my point? Is our political class now so specialized and above the People that you have to be born into it?

Do you not see that a panicked elite leading the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario made a decision that has made everything worse? So we go to more amateur poseurs, on the basis of family name? Isn't Justin enough proof of what that brings? Are we looking for Andrew Scheer level sheer magnetism once again?

The fact seems to be that the elite conservatives don't have their shit together anymore. For them, these things are vanity projects. There is no sense of emergency, of a need for something to be done, and no vision that people can rally to. They seem to think the office is a prize and that the People owe the office obedience.

That's not what's going to win an election except when the sitting government is so incompetent that they literally have wasted $billions undoing their previous bad decisions.

Can you imagine any male Conservative entering a political campaign these days without being prepared for this issue? If not, why do we suffer the pretensions of an elite if they aren't doing the leadership and planning thing?

As this thing shapes up, there is only one candidate on offer who has any real genuine pull with any segment of the people. And it isn't Caroline Kennedy -- oops -- Mulroney. It's the very one that you "royal jelly" people despise the most. Doug Ford!

He may have feet of clay, I don't know. Caroline and Eliot can run on the "every man is a potential rapist" theme that the party seems to have made its North Star.

Why should I vote for these people? That's a question you hope the other party will provide the answer to. That's just so weak and pathetic! Well, that's what I think. For you guys, it's different, I know. It's just a topic for conversation amongst the spectators.
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( O'toole briefly though about running but has now endorsed Elliott )

Erin O'Toole takes pass on Ontario PC leadership, endorses Christine Elliott

'She is ready to be premier right now,' MP tells CBC News

By Meagan Fitzpatrick, CBC News Posted: Feb 02, 2018 4:15 PM ET| Last Updated: Feb 02, 2018 7:14 PM ET

Conservative MP Erin O'Toole, shown at at the opening night of the federal Conservative leadership convention in Toronto on May 26, has decided not to run for the Ontario PC leadership.

Conservative MP Erin O'Toole is taking a pass on running for the Ontario Progressive Conservative leadership, CBC has learned, and is instead backing Christine Elliott.

O'Toole, the Conservative federal member for Durham, had considered running to replace Patrick Brown, who stepped down last week amid sexual misconduct allegations. O'Toole told CBC in an interview Friday that he and many others encouraged Elliott to run.

"She is ready to be premier right now," he said. "She has the experience and trust of Ontarians and I'm very happy to throw all of my support behind Christine to bring the PC Party together and be ready to win and become premier in 125 days."

O'Toole said given the Ontario election is around the corner on June 7, the party should elect a leader who has campaign experience, knows Queen's Park and the caucus well and can take on Premier Kathleen Wynne.

"If we underestimate Kathleen Wynne we are going to be in trouble, so we we need someone ready now," he said.

'Terrific' candidates running

Former Toronto city councillor Doug Ford announced Monday he is going for the job, and Caroline Mulroney is going to enter the race but hasn't officially announced it yet. She has never run for office before, and she could be joined by another first-time candidate, Rod Phillips, who is also hinting he will join the race.

O'Toole didn't mention their names specifically but he said there are "terrific" candidates running who will be great additions to the PC team at Queen's Park, but that Elliott is the best choice for leader.

Christine Elliott
Christine Elliott, shown thanking supporters after losing PC leadership race to Patrick Brown in 2015, is now making a bid to replace Brown, who stepped down last week amid sexual misconduct allegations. (CBC)

He said he will help Elliott's campaign in any way he can. He also backed her the last time she ran for the leadership against Brown in 2015.

Elliott indicated Thursday she's in the race, with a Tweet saying, "I'm in!" She told CBC Radio's Here And Now on Friday that the party needs someone with experience in the legislature.

"I'm ready to go and that's what we need."

The former MPP left politics in 2015, a few months after losing the last PC leadership contest. She had represented the riding of Whitby-Oshawa since 2006, the same riding her late husband Jim Flaherty represented when he was in provincial politics. Flaherty, who served as finance minister in Stephen Harper's government in Ottawa, died in 2014.

Elliott went on to take a job offered by Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne. The premier appointed Elliott as Ontario's patient ombudsman in 2016. Elliott resigned on Thursday.

This is Elliott's third time running for the Ontario PC leadership. When she ran against Brown, she had solid support from fellow caucus members. Some of them are rallying behind her again.

'Disappointing' time for party

Jim Wilson, the Ontario PC House leader, tweeted Friday that Elliott has his "full support, is the best person for the job and will be the next Premier of Ontario."

Lorne Coe, the MPP for Elliott's old riding of Whitby-Oshawa, also offered his endorsement.

Caroline Mulroney
Caroline Mulroney, a candidate for the PCs in Ontario's June election, also plans to run for the party leadership. (CBC)

"She is an exceptional person, compassionate, with unparalleled understanding of provincial issues, and the parliamentary experience needed to bring Ontarians the government that they deserve," he wrote on Facebook.

Brown, who was a Conservative MP before shifting to provincial politics, resigned as leader following a media report containing unproven allegations of sexual misconduct made by two women. He has denied the allegations and vowed to fight them.

O'Toole said Friday he's known Brown for 15 years and did reach out to him following his resignation.

"Certainly I think he intends to try to rebut some of the allegations made against him and that's his right to so," said O'Toole.

He said the allegations against Brown were "troubling" and that what's happened to the PC Party over the last week has been "a disappointing period."

Rick Dykstra, another former MP that O'Toole has known for years, stepped down as Ontario's PC Party president on Sunday, hours before Maclean's published a story about an allegation that Dykstra sexually assaulted a woman in 2014.

The allegation has not been proven in court and Dykstra has not commented on it. Conservative Party officials reportedly knew about the allegation and still allowed him to run in the 2015 federal election.

O'Toole said he supports Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer's decision to investigate the matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politic.....-1.4516404
Bugs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is notable is that none of these candidates have any real background -- well, Elliott has been a backbencher. But in that sense, she and Ms. Mulroney have political careers that ride on the back of their family connections. They don't have any personal accomplishments.

But do you think a Red Tory is going to be able to do what's necessary?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: