Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( former mp Stella Ambler also appears to have been re nominated in Mississauga Lakeshore )

Clare Schulte-Albert‏ @clarevsa · 18m18 minutes ago

Congrats to @StellaAmbler on winning the @CPC_HQ nomination in Mississauga-Lakeshore! #cpc

Melanie Paradis‏ @Melanie_Paradis · Jun 23

Packed house for @StellaAmbler launch for 2019 election! Standing room only!!! #CdnPoli
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one of the most expensive CPC loses in 2015;

The LPC was outspent about 3:1 and picked up the riding by around 4000 votes, but was still the CPC strongest showing in Mississauga and with the potential reduction of LPC support in the 905s they could be one that would flip.

Sven Spengemann was a strong get for the Liberals but they haven't exactly utilized him in Ottawa.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( former mp Tim Uppal appears to have been nominated once again in Edmonton )

Tim S. Uppal‏Verified account @TimUppal · 2h2 hours ago

Very excited to join @AndrewScheer and @CPC_HQ team as the Conservative Party of Canada candidate for Edmonton Millwoods. #LetsWinTogther
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Hunt announces bid for Conservative MP seat in Cloverdale-Langley City

David Hunt, son of politician Marvin Hunt, announces intention to run for Conservative nomination
Samantha Anderson/
Jun. 25, 2018 11:14 a.m./
News

David Hunt has announced he will run for the Conservative seat for Cloverdale-Langley City ahead of the 2019 federal election.

David Hunt is an entrepreneur with a business degree from Kwantlen Polytechnic University and a Master’s in Public Policy from Simon Fraser University.

He is the son of longtime politician Marvin Hunt, who served on Surrey council from 1988 to 2013 before venturing into provincial politics. Marvin Hunt is the current MLA for Surrey-Cloverdale.

“I’ve grown up in the riding and have always been very active in the community, so I am constantly hearing from a wide variety of constituents as to the issues they are facing,” David Hunt said in a press release.

He said that as a Conservative nominee, he would address rising taxes and living costs, work to improve the public health care system’s “inefficiency and long wait times,” and advocate for local businesses that feel “threatened by the high debt, high tax, high regulation approach coming out of Ottawa.”

“The other biggies would be freedom and family values,” he said. “Most Canadians have never felt threatened by Ottawa, but with the Canada Summer Jobs Attestation, many good, good people in our riding have been directly discriminated against by our government.”

Hunt would work to reverse the Canada Summer Jobs Attestation that required organizations seeking federal funding for summer jobs to prove they respected sexual and reproductive rights, including the right to access safe and legal abortions.

According to his platform website, Hunt would oppose Bill C-71, which was tabled by Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale to amend firearms regulations, adding requirements for expanded background checks, for businesses to keep records of sales, and add new rules for transporting restricted firearms.

David Hunt is “optimistic about the future,” saying it’s his responsibility as a husband and father to work towards a “strong Canada.”

“I believe in Canada,” he said in the press release. “Things may be off course at the moment, but it is not too late to restore the foundational principles of limited government, lower taxes, responsible freedom, and family values that our nation was built on and made us great.”

The federal election is 15 months away, and there is no date yet set for the Conservative Party of Canada’s nomination contest in Cloverdale-Langley City.

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/david-hunt-announces-bid-for-conservative-mp-seat-in-cloverdale-langley-city/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Ted Opitz another former mp also appears to have been renominated )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 20m20 minutes ago

Congratulations to Ted Opitz, our newest candidate for Etobicoke-Centre! #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penticton city councillor seeking federal Conservative nomination

Penticton city councillor Helena Konanz is seeking the Conservative Party of Canada nomination in South Okanagan-West Kootenay.

Image Credit: SUBMITTED/Helena Konanz

June 29, 2018 - 10:09 AM

PENTICTON – Helena Konanz wants to win the local Conservative Party of Canada nomination in order to take back the riding of South Okanagan-West Kootenay from the New Democrats.

The Penticton city councillor says she was encouraged by Conservative Party members to throw her hat in the ring for the nomination after she announced she would not be running in this fall’s municipal election.

Konanz is a two-term councillor who was first elected in 2011.

She says in a media release she offers a fresh approach and a fresh face to the party and the people in the riding.

“It has not served us well to be represented by the NDP in this region, or by the Liberals in Ottawa, for the past three years,” Konanz says.

The current Member of Parliament for the riding is New Democrat Richard Cannings. The next federal election is scheduled for Oct. 21, 2019.

Along with her time on city council, Konanz has served on the regional district board and the Southern Interior Local Government Association.

Konanz has a degree in political science from UCLA in California, was a professional tennis player and worked for NIKE in the retail management division in the U.S., according to the release.

She and her husband Adam Konanz opened their business Konanz Chiropractic 25 years ago. They have two adult children.

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/penticton-city-councillor-seeking-federal-conservative-nomination/it53688
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Steven Fletcher has been rejected as a candidate , article also mentions that former MP Lawrence Toet has been re nominated in Winnipeg )

Former Tory minister Steven Fletcher rejected by party as 2019 candidate

Mia Rabson

ottawa

The Canadian Press

Published 3 days ago

Updated June 29, 2018

The federal Conservatives are refusing to let former cabinet minister Steven Fletcher run under the Tory banner in the next election.

Fletcher wants to win back his old Winnipeg riding of Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley, a seat he held for more than a decade before losing it in 2015 to Liberal Doug Eyolfson.

But he says he got an e-mail Thursday from the party’s executive director, Dustin Van Vugt, saying his bid to seek the nomination had been rejected, without any explanation.

“This decision was made pursuant to the Conservative Party of Canada nominations rules and procedures as adopted by the national council of the Conservative Party of Canada and the constitution of the Conservative Party of Canada,” Van Vugt wrote.

Fletcher ran for the provincial Tories in Manitoba after losing his federal seat and won in 2016, but a year later was booted out of that caucus for publicly breaking with the party on a number of policies, including voting against a bill to create a Crown corporation on energy efficiency.

Fletcher also believes his support for Maxime Bernier, who was narrowly edged out by Andrew Scheer in last year’s hotly contested federal leadership race, is “probably” a factor – and while he is appealing the decision, he has not ruled out running as an independent.

“At this point, it is my hope that Andrew Scheer will sort it out and allow the grassroots to make that decision,” Fletcher said in an interview with The Canadian Press.

A Conservative source close to the nomination process said the decision had nothing to do with Fletcher supporting Bernier for the leadership, citing a number of other Bernier supporters who have been approved, including former Winnipeg MP Lawrence Toet – Bernier’s campaign co-chair in Manitoba, nominated already to run in Elmwood-Transcona.

However, the source – speaking on condition of anonymity given the sensitivity of the matter – would not elaborate on why Fletcher was rejected.

Fletcher, who said he has already sold 1,000 party memberships, sent a scathing e-mail to his supporters Friday asking them to speak out against the party’s decision.

“Together, we can expose this undemocratic process, where Ottawa elites and faceless, unelected party drones can dictate who represents you,” he wrote.

Fletcher wasn’t the only one angry about the decision: Jon Christianson, chair of the riding association’s candidate selection committee, stepped down from the role in protest.

“It is now obvious to me that the party thinks that this committee is a farce,” Christianson wrote in his resignation letter. “As they chose to ignore our recommendations then I will not waste any more of my time working for them.”

Fletcher served as a minister of state in then-prime minister Stephen Harper’s cabinet between 2008 and 2013 before being shuffled out. He soon developed a reputation as a maverick, publicly defying his party and supporting the case for legalizing medically assisted dying.

He currently sits as an independent member of the Manitoba legislature, and last week lost a court challenge that sought to overturn a Manitoba law preventing members from crossing the floor to a different party, forcing them instead to resign and run in a by-election.

Bill Eva, the federal riding association president, said the local riding green-lighted Fletcher’s candidacy for the nomination months ago and he believed the federal party had as well.

“Steven is a popular, well-liked guy,” said Eva, who learned of the decision from media reports.

He said Fletcher’s vocal opposition to Manitoba’s carbon tax and energy-efficiency plans fit better with the federal party than the provincial Tories.

“So to the extent that makes him unpopular with the provincial Conservative party, I’m not sure it would necessarily make him unpopular with the federal Conservative party.”

Fletcher’s appeal will be heard by the party’s national council.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-former-tory-minister-steven-fletcher-rejected-by-party-as-201/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fletcher pulling the Bernier card is an interesting twist;
But I would imagine his nomination was pulled after pissing off Premier Pallister and getting himself expelled from the PC Caucus about a year into his mandate Provincially.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home » Wendy Booth to seek CPC nomination

Posted: July 3, 2018

Wendy Booth to seek CPC nomination

A long time Columbia Valley local politician has decided to try and take her skills to the federal level and not seek a fourth term.

Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK) Electoral Area F Director Wendy Booth today confirmed she is “looking into seeking the federal nomination for the CPC (Conservative Party of Canada)” for the Kootenay-Columbia riding.

“At this point I am not sure of the timing of the nomination period, maybe this fall,” she said.

Concluding her third term this year, Booth is one of the longest serving directors on the RDEK board, becoming first elected in 2008. She is currently board vice-chair and also quickly rose through the ranks as a Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM) director to become its current president.

“I have enjoyed my time at the RDEK for the past 10 years and have learned and accomplished a lot, something that I will miss. However, I feel that is it time pass the privilege onto the next Area F director,” Booth told e-KNOW.

https://www.e-know.ca/regions/columbia-valley/wendy-booth-to-seek-cpc-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven Fletcher barred from running for federal CPC candidacy

Jeff Keele
Jeff Keele, Political Reporter

@jeffkeelectv
Published Friday, June 29, 2018 10:01AM CST
Last Updated Friday, June 29, 2018 5:47PM CST

The Conservative Party of Canada doesn’t want former MP Steven Fletcher back.

"It's simply an anti-democratic process," said Fletcher.

The party informed Fletcher via email he will not be allowed to run for the Charleswood-St James-Assiniboia-Headingley nomination for the 2019 federal election.

"This is done by some unelected faceless party drone," said Fletcher.

No reason was given in the email.

Fletcher speculates federal party brass may favour his high profile opponent for the nomination, Winnipeg city councillor Marty Morantz.

“I think that could be entirely true of course, it's politics," said Fletcher.

Morantz's campaign declined comment.

The party would not say why the nomination application was declined because of a potential appeal by Fletcher. But it did release this statement:

“All of our nominations are completely fair, open, and free of favouritism, and it's up to local Conservative Party members to decide on who of the successful applicants is best suited to be their party representative in the next election."

Fletcher is no stranger to controversy. He currently sits as an independent member of the Manitoba Legislature. Fletcher was kicked out of the provincial tory caucus. He was at odds with party policy and the premier.

“Caucus membership is not a right, caucus membership is a privilege,” said Premier Brian Pallister in June 2017.

Political scientist Chris Adams says it's not surprising the federal party may be cold towards Fletcher too.

"Steven Fletcher has a very strong reputation for being independent for being stubborn and those things do not work well within party caucuses," said Adams.

Party member Stephen Barber, the other candidate running for the nomination, released a statement.

“Our competitor’s campaigns are not our focus. We are focusing on the issues that matter to the people of our community,” said Barber.

Barber did thank Fletcher for his service to the community.

Fletcher says he is not ruling out a run as an independent MP in the area.

The seat is currently held by Liberal MP Doug Eyolfson who unseated Fletcher in the 2015 federal election.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/steven-fletcher-barred-from-running-for-federal-cpc-candidacy-1.3994444
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Fletcher pulling the Bernier card is an interesting twist;
But I would imagine his nomination was pulled after pissing off Premier Pallister and getting himself expelled from the PC Caucus about a year into his mandate Provincially.

I would imagine Fletcher was seen as too independent and perhaps concerned they could damage relations with the Manitoba pc's by bringing him on board , his health might of also been a concern

some good news for the conservatives would be BC , noticing a lot of interest in cpc nominations based on all the news articles I was finding . some competitive races emerging in ridings they lost to the ndp and liberals in 2015

like Kootenay Columbia , South Okanagan West Kootenay , Colverdale Langely City , South Surrey White Rock and Pitt Meadows Maple Ridge .

although some of these ridings they never really should of lost to begin with but the anti harper vote , , combined with issues like the environment / Marijuana legalisation hit extra hard in BC
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a flurry of cpc nominations in Nova Scotia , former mp Scott Armstrong in Cumberland Colchester and new candidates in Dartmouth Cole Harbour and Kings Hants )

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · Jul 6

Congratulations to Scott Armstrong, our newest candidate!

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 18h18 hours ago

Congratulations to Jason Cole, our newest candidate!

Conservative Party‏Verified account @CPC_HQ · 2h2 hours ago

Congratulations to Martha MacQuarrie, our newest candidate! #cdnpoli
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grail Sets Sights On Parliament Hill

By Matt WeverinkJuly 6, 2018 11:04am@Matt_Weverink

Local Tim Hortons franchisee Mike Grail is looking to follow up on local coffee shop concerns with federal politicians in Ottawa.

Grail, who owns a half-dozen Tim Hortons franchises in southwestern Ontario, is running for the Conservative Party of Canada nomination for the Chatham-Kent-Leamington riding, which will be up for grabs in the fall with current MP Dave Van Kesteren set to retire before the next federal election.

“I learned early on, that business and politics are very similar in they require both leadership and vision, and 100% commitment — but you can only do one at a time,” says Grail. “After 25 years in business, I feel that with Dave [Van Kesteren] retiring, it’s the right time for me to move into this type of role.”

Along with his experience as a long-time Tim Hortons franchisee, Grail is also the current board chair at the Children’s Treatment Centre of Chatham-Kent.

He says all of that experience has taught him some valuable lessons he can apply to federal politics.

“I’ve sat on national boards, so I see things from a macro perspective,” says Grail. “I also have what I believe is a unique ability to be able to bring it down into a useable microform.”

Grail says he has also been hearing from local residents at his restaurants for years, and he’s ready to take some of those concerns to Parliament Hill.

“Many of [our customers] are very politically savvy and I listen to their concerns,” says Grail. “They’re things that we as people of this community should be concerned about and we really need to put the best person forward to be able to have that strong voice at the table when decisions are made in Ottawa.”

Grail says the CKL Conservative Riding Association’s nomination meeting is taking place in November.

You can find out more about Grail and the nomination process by clicking here.

http://blackburnnews.com/chath.....ment-hill/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I wasn't aware Manitoba MP Robert Sopuck was retiring but appears to be some interest in his riding )

Mazier Gives Up KAP Presidency To Seek Federal Conservative Nomination

 Category: Ag News  Published: Monday, 09 July 2018 09:18 

Written by Cory Knutt

KAP President Dan Mazier - File Photo

Keystone Agricultural Producers (KAP) President Dan Mazier has announced that effective July 6, he has stepped down from the position to seek nomination for the Conservative Party of Canada in the riding of Dauphin - Swan River - Neepawa.

He'll be looking to fill the spot held by current MP Robert Sopuck, who announced back in May that he will not run in the next federal election to be held in October of 2019.

Mazier farms near Justice, Manitoba and was serving his fourth and final year as KAP president. He is also stepping down from the board of directors of the Canadian Federation of Agriculture (CFA).

Bill Campbell of Minto and Jill Verwey of Portage la Prairie are KAP's vice-presidents.

More to come.

https://pembinavalleyonline.com/ag-news/mazier-gives-up-kap-presidency-to-seek-federal-conservative-nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dauphin-area MP Robert Sopuck won't run in 2019 election

Sopuck has represented Dauphin-Swan River-Neepawa riding since 2010.

CBC News · Posted: May 07, 2018 12:06 PM CT | Last Updated: May 7

Conservative MP Robert Sopuck won't seek re-election in 2019. (Courtesy of Robert Sopuck)

Manitoba Conservative MP Robert Sopuck has announced he will not seek re-election in 2019.

He has represented the Dauphin-Swan River-Neepawa riding since 2010.

Sopuck announced he would not run for the federal seat again during the annual general meeting of the riding's Conservative electoral district association.

"I am not running again for personal and family reasons, but look forward to finishing out my last term as a Member of Parliament," he said in a news release.

Sopuck said he has already told the party leadership and the Manitoba Conservative caucus.

During his time in federal politics, Sopuck has pitched himself to voters as a champion of "rural life, rural culture, and the rural economy."

As MP, Sopuck has chaired the Canada-Ukraine parliamentary friendship group, a non-partisan group that advocates for positive relations between Canada and Ukraine. He also chaired the Conservative hunting and angling caucus also served as a member of the standing committee for environment and sustainable development and the standing committee for fisheries and oceans.

In the last election he won 46.4 per cent of the vote, beating Liberal candidate Ray Piché and NDP candidate Laverne Lewycky.

"I want to give a big thank you to all of my constituents, it has been an honour and I have truly enjoyed my time being able to represent this beautiful area of Manitoba," Sopuck said.

The next federal election is Oct. 21, 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/robert-sopuck-dauphin-mp-1.4651753

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  

Jump to: