Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( trudeau also visited the Bonavista riding , and liberal media seems desperate to cook up the idea of trudeau mania once again , forget about policy its now a cult of personality around trudeau in there eyes )

Trudeau greeted by crowds at Clarenville event for upcoming byelection

A byelection is set for the riding of Bonavista-Burin-Trinity on Dec. 11

CBC News Posted: Nov 23, 2017 6:05 PM NT| Last Updated: Nov 23, 2017 11:17 PM NT

Justin Trudeau was in Clarenville to give Liberal candidate Churence Rogers the thumbs up.

Despite a traditional Newfoundland and Labrador delay — rain and high winds — Justin Trudeau touched down in Clarenville Thursday night to throw his support behind Churence Rogers.

Churence Rogers
Thursday's meeting with Rogers is Trudeau's first stop during his visit to the province. (Ted Dillon/CBC)

Rogers is the Liberal candidate in the upcoming byelection in the riding of Bonavista-Burin-Trinity. The spot became vacant when long-time MP Judy Foote stepped down this fall.

Also vying for the spot in the House of Commons is Conservative candidate Mike Windsor, New Democrat Tyler James Downey, Green Party candidate Tyler Colbourne, and Shane Stapleton, who is running for the Libertarian Party of Canada.

In a quick, 5-minute campaign speech, Trudeau made his pitch for Rogers as the candidate to succeed Foote.

"We need to make sure you have a strong voice, the way you've been spoiled in the past. The way you need — I need — a strong member from the team from Bonavista–Burin–Trinity," he said.

Justin Trudeau
Justin Trudeau did not take questions from the media at his stop in Clarenville to back Liberal candidate Churence Rogers. (Ted Dillon/CBC)

"I can tell you, no one worked harder [for the Liberal nomination] than Churence, and Churence deserves your support, and he earned your support," he said. "But I have to say, I got a soft spot for teachers."

Crowds braved the cold for their chance to shake hands and take pictures with Trudeau.

Clarenville resident Shawn Hart brought a sign, and was hoping to press the Prime Minister for federal government action in the case of Widlene Earle, a 12-year-old girl from Haiti who has spent eight years in an adoption process.

"He ducked out the back door and took off," Hart said, who shouted after the prime minister as he left. "I expected it. He doesn't want to be confronted with this."

Thursday's meeting with Rogers is Trudeau's first stop during his visit to the province. Rogers said it was exciting to be introduced to a crowd by the prime minister, but said the work "really begins" after the by-election, set for Dec. 11.

On Friday, Trudeau will be in Happy Valley-Goose Bay to issue an apology to survivors of the province's residential schools. They were left out of the Harper government's 2008 apology to survivors in the rest of the country.

Sources told CBC Thursday evening that the Innu Nation is not ready to accept that apology, but Trudeau did not take questions from reporters about the issue.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4416643
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the ndp are claiming there in it to win in the sask by election although that may be easier said than done considering the past results )

Fedler campaign is on: campaign office opens

John Cairns / Battlefords News-Optimist

November 23, 2017 04:39 PM

Matt Fedler is the NDP candidate in the Battlefords-Lloydminster by-election on Dec. 11. He spoke to supporters at his campaign open house on 100th Street in North Battleford. Photograph By John Cairns

The New Democrats’ effort to win the Battlefords-Lloydminster by-election is now on in earnest as Matt Fedler’s campaign has opened their campaign office downtown on 100th Street.

They held their office open house Wednesday night in North Battleford. Fedler, who had been nominated the week before, was there to meet and speak with NDP supporters and get them enthusiastic about participating in the campaign that is now under way.

He also has an extensive sports background as an amateur wrestler and in mixed martial arts. He briefly fought MMA professionally, and made clear he intends to take the same winning attitudes that earned him success in athletics into the political arena.

“We’re the underdog but I relish the underdog role,” Fedler said to reporters. “I’ve been that in my fighting career before; I love proving people wrong.”

Fedler has roots in the North Battleford and Wilkie areas. An education grad from the University of Regina, he has worked with those suffering from mental illness as a program coordinator with Canadian Mental Health Association.

Fedler is also brand-new to politics, having only started getting actively involved in the NDP just this summer at their annual general meeting.

In speaking with reporters, Fedler explained he was inspired to get involved from what he saw from a certain US presidential candidate.

“The Bernie Sanders campaign was a big influence for me and many young people,” said Fedler.

“You can make a real difference and you don’t have to be corrupted by the big money and their influence. So that was a big push to get me involved locally and the welcoming atmosphere of the NDP here in the area.”

As for the main issues he will be promoting in his campaign, Fedler pointed to “basic human rights” as one issue he will be pushing. Fedler is Metis, and he made clear indigenous issues are a priority for him.

“We have a big Indigenous community here in our riding, and it’s unconscionable to me that some young people on reserves are faced with third-world living conditions.”

He also says “health care is a human right, and we need to shore the holes up there with pharmacare, Mental Health care, visual, dental as well.”

Education is also something he considers a basic human right. “We need to work towards tuition-free higher education as many other countries around the world have.”

Fedler also wants to see a different approach to the issue of dealing with crime.

“We have been investing a lot in prosecution and punishment, when we need to be looking at prevention.”

On taxes, Fedler says he is “no fan of the kind of taxes the Liberals are looking to impose on small businesses and family farms.” He does believe in taxing wealthy Canadians who have not been paying their fair share, pointing to the recent “Paradise Papers” revelations of wealthy Canadians who have been storing money offshore.

He also voiced support for a carbon tax as long as the money from it is “going back to small businesses and low-income farmers, and investing in renewable energy as well.“

The NDP are voicing optimism about their chances in Battlefords-Lloydminster. NDP supporters have particularly tried to play up the idea of infighting within the Conservative Party after nomination candidate Ken Finlayson decided to run as an independent.

Fedler believes there is an opportunity for the NDP to take advantage of vote-splitting among Conservative-leaning voters. He also believes he can appeal to indigenous voters as well as young voters.

“If we work hard over the next few weeks, with a little bit of luck I think we can pull it off.”
There is clearly no time left to waste for Fedler or the other nominated candidates, with only a few days left before advance polls are open from Dec. 1 to 4. By-election day is Dec. 11.

http://www.newsoptimist.ca/new.....1.23103250
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( even though it remains a long shot , the conservatives are still sending some mp's into the riding it appears )

Conservative candidate Mike Windsor campaigning in Clarenville this evening

The Compass
Published: Nov. 24, 2017, 10:51 a.m. Updated: 22 hours ago

Mike Windsor outside Elections Canada offices in Clarenville on Friday, Nov. 17. - Jonathan Parsons

CLARENVILLE, NL – Mike Windsor, the Conservative candidate in the upcoming Bonavista-Burin-Trinity byelection, is hosting a meet and greet in Clarenville tonight.

Joining Windsor will be Elgin-Middlesex-London MP Karen Vecchio, the Conservative Party’s critic for Families, Children and Social Development.

The pair will be answering questions during the event, which will take place at the Clarenville Inn at 6 p.m.

The Bonavista-Burin-Trinity byelection is scheduled for Dec. 11.

More news stories

http://www.cbncompass.ca/news/.....ng-164644/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( scheer was in scarborough and continues to play the average guy card by getting a hamburger )

Andrew Scheer‏Verified account @AndrewScheer · 2h2 hours ago

Great to meet with the owners of family-run Johnny’s Hamburgers, a staple local business in the Scarborough-Agincourt community! Thanks @DasongZou for taking us to this restaurant. I can confirm, the burgers are tasty!
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byelection battle heats up in Scarborough-Agincourt

by Nitish Bissonauth and News Staff
Posted Nov 26, 2017 8:12 am EST
Last Updated Nov 26, 2017 at 8:57 am EST

A crucial seat is up for grabs in the Scarborough-Agincourt riding, as candidates prepare for a byelection on Dec.11.

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh visited the riding, greeting supporters at the Black Gold Café.

“This is incredible, this is literally where I was born, this has a nice homecoming feel” said Singh about the reception.

While he doesn’t have a seat in Parliament, Singh says Scarborough-Agincourt isn’t the place for him to run, despite it being home turf. Instead he’s endorsing local hopeful Brian Chang, saying the candidate has history in the area, currently resides in the community and is engaged with the people.

He told CityNews one of the important concerns in the riding is affordable housing, criticizing Prime Minster Justin Trudeau’s 10 year, $40 billion national strategy

“Housing crisis is right now, we need immediate action today” said Singh. “When we have a government announcement that talks about funding after an election, that’s cynical”

Chang is optimistic that after 30 years Liberal dominance, voters want an alternative.

“They are not allowed to dominate the discussion, people want another alternative and that’s what I am” said Chang. “Life is difficult here in Scarborough-Agincourt, the average income here is 32 thousand dollars, the poverty line is 28 thousand in Toronto, we’re not too far off from that”

For him, the main issue in the riding is income inequality and he plans to address precarious work.

While the NDP met with supporters, Liberal candidate Jean Yip was hitting the pavement to meet voters door-to-door in the same riding.

She’s running for the seat left vacant by her late husband Arnold Chan. He lost his battle with cancer in September.Chan first won a byelection in Scarborough-Agincourt in 2014 and once again in 2015.

Yip wants to focus on seniors, tax cuts and the middle class — issues she says were also dear to her husband.

“I would like to help him finish his legacy” said Yip, “I feel connected and I’m happy to represent Scarborough-Agincourt after Dec. 11”

The byelection in Scarborough-Agincourt is just one of four happening in the country. Voters will be heading to the polls in the ridings of Battlefords-Lloydminster in Saskatchewan, Bonavista-Burin-Trinity in Newfoundland and Labrador and South Surrey-White Rock in British Columbia

http://toronto.citynews.ca/201.....agincourt/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be an assumption, but it looks like Scheer didn't get any newspaper coverage while he was in town, and Singh gets a nice write-up, in which the Liberal candidate is mentioned as well. But you would never know Scheer was in the riding. Or that the Conservatives have a horse in this race.

This is part of what Andrew has to overcome. He has to 'create' news wherever he goes somehow. I don't say it's easy, but that's his problem right now. He can't help local candidates if he can't attract attention and crowds for him/her.
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
It may be an assumption, but it looks like Scheer didn't get any newspaper coverage while he was in town, and Singh gets a nice write-up, in which the Liberal candidate is mentioned as well. But you would never know Scheer was in the riding. Or that the Conservatives have a horse in this race.

This is part of what Andrew has to overcome. He has to 'create' news wherever he goes somehow. I don't say it's easy, but that's his problem right now. He can't help local candidates if he can't attract attention and crowds for him/her.

I didn't see any articles on City TV about scheer's visit but I didn't really look , although it does seem like the media didn't bother to show up for his visit , which isn't anything new , its been going on for years , cpc events are often ignored in Toronto , even when Harper was PM the media often wouldn't cover them or his visits to the city

did notice some odd posts on twitter about this race , there is accusations the liberals are covering up cpc signs in the riding by putting 2 liberal signs on the other sides , a picture has been taken showing one of there volunteers doing that. liberals are also bringing in lots of outside mp's to help canvass and such , you wouldn't think they'd need the extra help in a scarborough riding ?

oddly desperate behaviour in a riding they normally win with 50% or more , it seems that the race is closer than people realise although a cpc victory realistically seems far off , this is a very core liberal seat
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemarie Falk campaign is now on

John Cairns , Staff Reporter / Battlefords News-Optimist

November 22, 2017 01:46 PM

Rosemarie Falk

Rosemarie Falk, federal Conservative candidate in the Dec. 11 Battlefords-Lloydminster by-election, stopped by the News-Optimist offices on Monday. John Cairns Photograph By John Cairns

Rosemarie Falk has had little time to waste since winning the Conservative nomination in Battlefords-Lloydminster.

She has been actively campaigning in the riding ever since, braving some cold and treacherous weather conditions.

“The weather that we have is a little constricting,” Falk said.

There have been at least two days where travel was not recommended on roads within the riding in the by-election campaign so far.

As for how her campaign has been dealing with the weather, “you just deal, you just make it work,” said Falk.

“It’s Saskatchewan, right? So we just have to get ‘er done.”

Falk’s campaign has been seen to make it out to the Battlefords on a few occasions so far, starting with the night she won the party’s nomination at the Tropical Inn on Nov. 11.

She attended the St. Joseph’s Parish Gala and Dinner at the same venue on Saturday night, and on Wednesday, Falk was due to appear at a major local Conservative campaign event at Empress Furniture, on Highway 4 north of the city.

The other main priority for her campaign has been to get her nomination papers in to Elections Canada – a “whole other process,” she said, in addition to winning a nomination by the party. That process is now complete and Falk will be on the by-election ballot on Dec. 11.

Falk said she feels “honoured” to be the Conservative standard-bearer after Gerry Ritz represented the riding for 20 years in Ottawa, and said she is “ready to hit the ground running.”

She describes herself as a lifelong resident of Lloydminster. Her father is a farmer who has also worked in the energy sector, and her husband works in the energy sector as well.

Falk has a background in social work and has experience on Parliament Hill. She took an opportunity to work as legislative assistant in Ottawa for Arnold Viersen, MP for Peace River-Westlock.

“Knowing that this was the direction that I kind of wanted to go in, we thought it would be great experience,” said Falk.

During that time her young family, which includes her two kids, stayed at home in Lloydminster. Falk said that meant plenty of commuting back and forth from Ottawa to see the family.

Political opponents have tried to paint Falk as an “Ottawa resident” in the by-election race, but Falk made clear she isn’t impressed by that talk.

“I’m from the riding, I was born and raised. I could even show you the certificate that Gerry Ritz sent me when I graduated high school,” Falk said.

“Really, at the end of the day, I’m here to serve the people and represent them well if I make it to Ottawa.

There is no shortage of federal issues facing Falk in the campaign.

One issue that has come up this week is pipelines, with news a commission in Nebraska had approved the Keystone XL pipeline through that state.

That comes on the heels of the collapse of the Energy East pipeline project.

For her part, Falk says she is a supporter of pipelines.

“I think they’re one of the safest ways we can transfer our oil,” she said.

“It’s unfortunate that our Prime Minister is playing politics.”

Falk also opposes the tax reform proposals brought forward by finance minister Bill Morneau that were aimed at small business, proposals that Morneau had to reverse course on.

She called the Liberal tax proposals “ludicrous” and pledged to hold the government to account on the issue.

“I believe that small businesses are the backbone of our economy,” said Falk, who adds, “I don’t think that it’s fair to tax the ordinary working people to death.”

Not surprisingly, Falk is against a carbon tax, and pointed to its failures in other jurisdictions that have attempted it.

“We’ve seen cap-and-trade in B.C. and it hasn’t worked,” said Falk. “And other countries have done it and they have retracted now.”

Falk is also not impressed with the Liberals’ push for marijuana legalization.

“I’ve worked, and I’ve seen, how marijuana can be detrimental when used excessively,” Falk said.

She also questions whether legalization will have any beneficial impact.

“I know Justin Trudeau says it’s going to keep the drugs out of the hands of youth, but is it? I don’t think that people aren’t worth the experiment.”

One issue Falk mentions as having come up on the campaign trail is the crime issue.

“It’s all over. Our rural crime is out of control,” Falk admits.

She pledged to work with municipal and provincial leaders and MLAs “so we can help find an answer,” but also admits it won’t be easy.

Falk plans to continue to meet residents directly and hear their concerns.

So far, she says she is encouraged by the reception she has received on the campaign trail.

“We’re finding lots of support, a lot of people who want to get involved and send a message to Mr. Trudeau,” said Falk.

Falk also says taking nothing for granted and is urging against complacency among potential supporters who might think the by-election is already in the bag.

“Look what happened in Alberta,” said Falk, referring to the Rachel Notley NDP provincial victory.

Falk plans to keep up her campaign up to and including voting day on Dec. 11; she is also encouraging people to vote early in the advanced polls from Dec. 1 through 4

http://www.newsoptimist.ca/new.....1.23102036
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( more news of the BC by election , word of a debate and another visit by Trudeau to the riding )

Chamber to host South
Surrey-White Rock byelection debate

Questions from public must be submitted in advance
Tracy Holmes/
Nov. 28, 2017 2:10 p.m./
Local News/
News

For voters wanting to hear in person where all the candidates in the upcoming federal byelection stand on various issues, there is, so far, just one opportunity.

Hosted by the South Surrey & White Rock Chamber of Commerce, a meeting has been set for 7-9 p.m. Dec. 5 at the White Rock Community Centre, 15154 Russell Ave.

Chamber executive director Cliff Annable said Tuesday that it was difficult to organize, in part due to the amount of notice given for the byelection.

Called Nov. 5, the byelection takes place Dec. 11.

In fact, chamber officials had initially told Peace Arch News Monday that there would not be a chamber-hosted meeting, due to a lack of venue in which to hold it.

Tuesday morning, however, Annable said he “lucked out” in securing the community centre.

“I went to the City of White Rock and said, ‘is there any way?’”

There are to be seven choices for voters: Larry Colero (Green); Kerry-Lynne Findlay (Conservative); Gordon Hogg (Liberal); Michael Huenefeld (Progressive Canadian); Jonathan Silveira (NDP); Rod Taylor (Christian Heritage Party) and Donald Wilson (Libertarian).

Annable said questions for the candidates will be taken in advance only. The deadline to submit a question – by email to executivedirector@sswrchamber.ca – is 5 p.m. Dec. 4.

An Elections Canada spokesperson told PAN such meetings do not have to be held, and, they are outside of Elections Canada’s mandate.

“That falls on the political side,” John Enright said.“There’s no requirement under the (Elections) Act to have them, and we don’t monitor them.”

Enright said the date set for the byelection – it was one of four called at the same time – was the earliest that could be chosen; 37 days from the drop of the writ.

He noted that anyone wishing to vote in advance may do so from Dec. 1-4. , at locations listed on their voter card.

The byelection was triggered by the resignation of former Conservative MP Dianne Watts, a former Surrey mayor who was elected MP in the 2015 election. She resigned in September to take a run at leadership of the BC Liberals.

So far, the highest-profile campaigning seen has been that of candidates of the two major parties, most notably, visits Nov. 15 by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer. Both were in town to promote their parties’ candidates Nov. 15.

Trudeau to return

Trudeau is scheduled to return to the Semiahmoo Peninsula Dec. 2 for an “open community meet-and-greet.”

The location and time of the visit has yet to be released.

https://www.cloverdalereporter.com/news/chamber-to-host-south-surrey-white-rock-debate/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon Hogg was a good get for the LPC;
If polling is to be believed the Liberals should win this riding easily.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Gordon Hogg was a good get for the LPC;
If polling is to be believed the Liberals should win this riding easily.

I'm left feeling the liberals are only in the race cause Gordon Hogg is well known in the riding as he was an MLA , I really don't feel they'd be this much of a threat if they had a lesser known candidate .
at this point I still feel it could go either way , clearly the liberals still feel its close if they feel the need to bring trudeau in a second time , its unheard of for a PM to campaign in a by election yet alone twice especially when they already have a majority and can pass legislation freely ( its usually the opposition who heavily targets a specific riding and frequently brings in the leader , not the government )

as governments generally don't win by elections in opposition ridings , on a provincial level we've seen a series of liberal defeats all over the country in previously held seats and opposition ridings ( Ontario , Quebec , PEI and Newfoundland ) , which makes the liberals strength federally in by elections even more surprising and harder to explain
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a local article on the by election in Toronto )

Scarborough-Agincourt, a federal Liberal stronghold, chooses a new MP

Seniors, drugs, poverty are issues in Dec. 11 byelection

News 11:00 AM by Mike Adler  Scarborough Mirror|

New Democrat Brian Chang, Conservative Dasong Zou and Liberal Jean Yip are three of seven candidates standing in the Scarborough-Agincourt federal by-election on Dec. 11. - Mike Adler/Metroland

In Bridletowne Mall, ask Scarborough-Agincourt voters what they want from their next MP and you’ll hear issues — speeding drivers, Ontario Hydro, sidewalks, minimum wage — which have nothing to do with Ottawa.

A byelection campaign in Scarborough-Agincourt is cruising toward its finish on Dec. 11, and apart from the moment Prime Minister Justin Trudeau showed up at the mall and was mobbed, there’s been a predictable lack of excitement.

Scarborough-Agincourt has voted Liberal federally since its creation in 1988.

A senior named Clarence says during his 12 years in the riding, he cast ballots for Arnold Chan and another Liberal before him, Jim Karygiannis.

Clarence won’t give his last name, but adds he wants just one thing from the federal government; more money for pensioners. “We see everybody get an increase except us,” he says.

Chan was elected in 2014 and re-elected in 2015, after struggling with a rare cancer. Sadly, the cancer reappeared, and in September he died.

His widow, Jean Yip, 49, is now the Liberal candidate, having spoken to Chan about running for the office shortly before he passed away.

She says the riding stayed with the party because Karygiannis and Chan cared for residents and brought their concerns to Ottawa. “We addressed the needs of the community,” she adds.

The riding remains a home for immigrants, including a large Chinese-Canadian population slowly shifting from Cantonese speakers of a generation ago to toward more recent arrivals speaking Mandarin.

Still, while most of Toronto grew, the riding’s major neighbourhoods — Steeles, L’Amoreaux, Tam O’Shanter — all lost residents from 2011 to 2016.

Yip’s Conservative opponent Dasong Zou, 33, argues the area is now underdeveloped compared to North York and other parts of Greater Toronto. “People are moving out of Agincourt for these reasons,” he says.

“For 25 years, Liberals have not looked after the people here.”

In an interview, Zou mentions the Liberal plan to legalize marijuana several times, arguing community leaders in Agincourt, parents and police want to keep the drug illegal.

“If there’s one thing I can do, it’s (this),” he says. “As an MP, it’s my responsibility to protect the kids.”

Zou, who says people need more help fighting addictions, is campaigning against a safe drug injection site in Scarborough, which has yet to be proposed by any government, and also what he terms on his pamphlet as “legalization of prescription heroin.”

Last year the Liberals overturned a ban by the previous Harper Conservative government allowing doctors to once again prescribe pharmaceutical-grade heroin under a special-access program.

Yip says young people can get marijuana “in any high school,” and it’s better to legalize and regulate the drug, educating children against its use and keeping sales to adults out of the hands of criminals.

“Take away the ability of children, like my sons, to have easy access,” says Yip, acknowledging legalization is raised by voters but not as much as seniors' issues.

“Some seniors have mentioned the lack of space and the lack of programs (for them). They’d like to see more.”

Her New Democratic opponent Brian Chang, 30, supports decriminalization of marijuana and dismisses the Conservative emphasis on drugs — “They play off fear,” he says — while adding it’s opioid overdoses the government should focus on.

“People are dying,” says Chang, who also mentions the lack of options in Agincourt for its growing number of seniors, and an average income of $32,000 in the riding he says is below Toronto’s family poverty line.

He adds the Trudeau government is “unrelatable” to residents who, like himself, have spent their lives in precarious contract work, and that no party should monopolize politics in Agincourt.

“The point of democracy is we have a healthy discussion,” he says. “The status quo has not worked very well here.”

Lee Soda, executive director Agincourt Community Services, says Scarborough is still a go-to place for newcomers to Canada. Her agency, which receives federal funding, sees riding residents who are struggling, and its food bank strains to keep up with demand.

In Agincourt, she says, “things are really unaffordable in terms of housing. Not talking about it doesn’t make (housing costs) go away.”

Not far from the mall, a woman circled the outdoor track of the former Timothy Eaton Business and Technical Institute, a secondary school whose building is being replaced by townhouses.

The City of Toronto, Scarborough and Rouge Hospital, United Way of Toronto and York Region and YMCA of Greater Toronto are partners hoping to build the Bridletowne Community Hub on the remaining half of the school site.

The hub has been delayed, and Chan hoped to get federal funding it likely needs to start construction; Yip is promising to pursue those funds.

Also running in the byelection is Jude Coutinho for the Christian Heritage Party, Green candidate Michael DiPasquale, and two independents; John Turmel and Tom Zhu.

The riding is between Victoria Park and Midland avenues, and stretches south from Steeles Avenue to Highway 401.

Advance polls will be open on Dec. 1, 2, 3 and 4.

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/7969221-scarborough-agincourt-a-federal-liberal-stronghold-chooses-a-new-mp/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Surrey-White Rock a byelection battleground for Liberal Hogg, Tory Findlay

Jennifer Saltman Jennifer Saltman
More from Jennifer Saltman

Published on: November 30, 2017 | Last Updated: November 30, 2017 5:38 PM PST

Liberal Gordie Hogg (left) and Conservative Kerry-Lynne Findlay are the consensus frontrunners in the South Surrey-White Rock federal byelection, advance voting for which starts Friday. Byelection day is Dec. 11.

Advance voting opens on Friday for what promises to be an interesting byelection race between two former politicians in South Surrey-White Rock.

“I think we have two very solid local candidates to choose from,” said University of the Fraser Valley political science professor Hamish Telford.

Kerry-Lynne Findlay is running in the byelection for the Conservative party, and Gordie Hogg was acclaimed as the Liberal party candidate. The byelection is one of four taking place on Dec. 11, for which there will be four days of advance voting.

The riding of South Surrey-White Rock was held by Conservative MP Dianne Watts, who narrowly won her election in 2015. Watts gave up her seat this fall to pursue the provincial B.C. Liberal leadership.

Findlay was elected as the MP for Delta-Richmond East in 2011. As a Conservative MP, she served as Parliamentary Secretary to Justice, Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of National Revenue. She was defeated in the 2015 election.

Findlay said she got back into politics because she believes the Liberals are making life hard for working families.

“As I watched things unfold over the last couple of years I was particularly concerned about what I saw as an attack on small businesses,” said Findlay, who is self-employed as a lawyer.

Findlay said she has deep ties to the community through her family and has lived in White Rock since the summer. She said her experience in Ottawa, community service and legal background are some reasons why voters may choose her. She also believes many voters have had a change of heart.

Then-national revenue minister Kerry-Lynne Findlay at a Conservative government announcement in Regina, Sask., in 2014.

Then-national revenue minister Kerry-Lynne Findlay at a Conservative government announcement in Regina, Sask., in 2014. Bryan Schlosser / Postmedia News files

“What I’m hearing over and over is that there is a number of people who maybe traditionally vote Conservative who gave the Liberals a chance in 2015 and they have some buyer’s remorse,” she said.

Hogg, a longtime White Rock councillor and mayor, served as MLA for Surrey-White Rock for five terms before announcing in October 2016 that he would not run again. Hogg held a number of positions in Victoria, including Minister of Children and Family Development.

He told Postmedia that he planned to teach criminology at Simon Fraser University, write a book and serve on the boards of local non-profits after retiring.

When asked why he got back into politics, he said, “I have an opportunity to be closer to my community in a more productive way. No one could have anticipated three months ago that this opportunity would come along.”

Hogg said people he’s spoken to while door knocking say health and home care, housing, transit, road improvements and the environment are some of the important issues.

The riding has long been a Conservative stronghold, and Hogg recognizes it will be a tough battle but believes his long service and reputation will help his campaign.

“Certainly every election is a bit challenging, and certainly this election is more challenging than some for that reason, but I don’t think that any riding is either Conservative or Liberal or NDP,” he said. “I think people look for the person they think will represent them most effectively.”

Telford said political parties take byelections seriously and tend to see them as referendums on their performance.

“We’re at the halfway point of the Liberal mandate, so they’re looking at it as sort of, ‘Are we on the right track here or losing ground?’ ” he said. “Conservatives have a new leader and it is very important for Andrew Scheer to hold this riding in South Surrey.”

Liberal candidate Gordie Hogg (far left) and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (right) pose for a photo with school children during a campaign stop in White Rock last week.

Liberal candidate Gordie Hogg (far left) and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau (right) pose for a photo with school children during a campaign stop in White Rock last week. RICHARD LAM / Canadian Press files

Both Scheer and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau showed up in the riding on Nov. 15 to support their candidates. Telford said it’s not unusual for leaders to make those kinds of visits during a byelection — particularly when it’s a close race.

“If you’re bound to be defeated, then you don’t show up and get your name attached to the defeat, but if you have a chance of winning or holding a riding, leaders will make an effort to lend their support if they can,” Telford said.

Telford doesn’t believe the New Democrats are a factor in the byelection, but it could be important for the party just the same. Jonathan Silveira, who ran for the B.C. NDP in Surrey South during the May provincial election, is on the ballot for the NDP.

“The NDP made a conscious decision to elect Jagmeet Singh as their leader to perform better in suburban ridings, so I think they’ll be looking to see not necessarily for wins here but has he improved the NDP’s numbers in these sorts of places,” he said.

Other candidates include Larry Colero (Green), Michael Huenefeld (Progressive Canadian), Rod Taylor (Christian Heritage) and Donald Wilson (Libertarian).

The other byelections taking place on Dec. 12 are Bonavista-Burin-Trinity (Newfoundland), Scarborough-Agincourt (Ontario) and Battlefords-Lloydminster (Saskatchewan).

In Newfoundland, the Liberals overwhelmingly won the 2015 election, with 81 per cent of the vote. The race in Saskatchewan is expected to go to the Conservatives, which have held the riding in one form or another since it was created.

Telford said the Ontario and B.C. ridings should be more interesting.

The Liberals won the last election in Scarborough-Agincourt, but the Conservatives managed to increase their share of the vote.

“If voters are tiring of Justin Trudeau and warming to Andrew Scheer, you could see an upset there,” he said.

• Advance voting takes place Dec. 1-4. Voting day is Dec. 11

http://vancouversun.com/news/l.....byelection
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( advance voting begins today in the 4 ridings )

News Releases and Media Advisories

Advance Voting in Federal By-elections Begins Friday

Gatineau, Wednesday, November 29, 2017

•Advance voting for the federal by-elections in Battlefords–Lloydminster (Saskatchewan), Bonavista–Burin–Trinity (Newfoundland and Labrador), Scarborough–Agincourt (Ontario) and South Surrey–White Rock (British Columbia) begins on Friday, December 1, and continues Saturday, December 2, Sunday, December 3 and Monday, December 4.
•Advance polls in these electoral districts are open from 12:00 noon to 8:00 p.m. (local time*).
•Electors can find the address of their advance voting location on the back of their voter information card. They can also visit elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868.
•To vote, electors must show proof of identity and address. The list of accepted pieces of identification is online.
•The voter information card is not an authorized piece of ID, but we encourage electors to bring it with them for faster service at the polls.

*Central time in Battlefords–Lloydminster

Ready to vote.

Elections Canada is an independent body set up by Parliament.

Information:
Elections Canada Media Relations
1-877-877-9515
elections.ca

http://www.elections.ca/conten.....amp;lang=e
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conservative candidate Windsor answers questions at Bonavista-Burin-Trinity meet and greet

Jonathan Parsons jonathan.parsons@thepacket.ca
Published: Nov. 28, 2017, 4:09 p.m.

Supporters came out for a meet and greet with Bonavista-Burin-Trinity Conservative candidate Mike Windsor Friday night, Nov. 24. - Jonathan Parsons

CLARENVILLE, N.L. — A stark difference from the rock star-like rally featuring Justin Trudeau the night before, Conservative candidate for Bonavista-Burin-Trinity Mike Windsor held an understated meet-and-greet at the Clarenville Inn Friday night.

Another main difference between the two was a question and answer session with the dozen or so supporters who attended. Both Windsor and Karen Vecchio, MP for Elgin-Middlesex-London and opposition shadow cabinet minister for Families, Children & Social Development, talked with people in attendance.

Vecchio said she is using the stop in Clarenville as a learning experience to understand the way issues relate to different parts of the country — including childcare initiatives, affordable housing and Hydro costs.

Windsor says he wants to provide Atlantic Canadians with a voice in opposition and fight on important topics like affordable housing for people like seniors.

“I’ll work hard,” he said.

Vecchio added they believe they’re making progress in opposition and they can relate to the local “real” people, more than the opponents can.

“We’re only going to win if we work our butts off and give it all we’ve got,” she said.

jonathan.parsons@thepacket.ca

Twitter: @jejparsons

http://www.ganderbeacon.ca/new.....et-165655/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: