Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: PEI Cabinet Minister Doug Currie leaves politics Reply with quote

( yet another resignation in the political world , this time on the tiny island of PEI a high profile minister is suddenly leaving )

'I've had a good run': Doug Currie resigning from politics

'I’ve had a wonderful career in politics'

By Kevin Yarr, CBC News Posted: Oct 19, 2017 11:42 AM AT| Last Updated: Oct 19, 2017 5:53 PM AT

Doug Currie's resignation is effective Thursday.

P.E.I. Education, Early Learning and Culture Minister Doug Currie is leaving provincial politics after more than a decade in the provincial legislature.

His resignation, effective Thursday, was announced in a news release Thursday morning.

Currie has served in numerous portfolios, including health, social services, attorney general, and justice. He was elected in district 11, Charlottetown-Parkdale.

"I think it's time, I've had a good run," Currie told CBC.

"My decision really is about what's in the best for Doug Currie and my two girls — I don't think there's any perfect time to leave public office, but I feel excited about leaving. I feel excited about what I've accomplished."

What's next?

Currie said he knew he wasn't going to be running in the next election, so his move to resign now was done to be "respectful and fair" to the premier and the liberal party.

"I've had a wonderful career in politics, I've been able to be a part of portfolios that were in significant transformation — which I enjoy doing," he said.

Brian Higgins/CBC
Doug Currie spoke with Mainstreet host Angela Walker on Thursday. (Brian Higgins/CBC)

As for what's next for him in life outside of politics, he's uncertain and a "little nervous" about the future.

Though what he's most excited for now is taking a vacation.

"They'll make decisions on what direction they go in respect to my replacement and I wish them all the best."

The premier's office said a by-election to replace Currie will be called within six months.

Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Alan McIsaac will take on education, early learning and culture in the interim following Currie's departure.

Response from Home and Schools, Opposition

"He was always very supportive of the [P.E.I. Home and School Federation], always came to our AGM, we'll miss him and we want to thank him for all he's done," said Cory Thomas, vice president of the P.E.I. Home and School Federation.

Thomas hopes the province, and Currie's successor, will continue to consult with parents, teachers and administrators regarding the school review process.

The Conservative caucus, on behalf of MLA Jamie Fox, thanked Currie for his service but brought attention to the "abrupt departure" of the senior minister.

Perennial cabinet minister

Currie was first elected to the legislature on May 28, 2007, an election which saw the Liberals, under leader Robert Ghiz, return to power for the first time in 11 years.

Currie became Ghiz's health minister and remained in the cabinet throughout his time in the legislature.

Schools presser
Earlier this year, with Premier Wade MacLauchlan by his side, Currie rejected the idea of closing more schools. (Randy McAndrew/CBC)

As education minister, Currie moved kindergarten into the schools and more recently oversaw a major review of school infrastructure. That review concluded some schools should close, a plan that was rejected by the government.

As health minister, Currie created Health PEI, separating the administration of the province's health-care system from the Department of Health, and dealt with the contentious issue of abortions on the Island.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4361994
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race for nominations as Liberals move early in byelection

Some parties moving so quickly candidates can’t sign up new members

By Kerry Campbell, CBC News Posted: Oct 25, 2017 6:00 PM AT| Last Updated: Oct 25, 2017 6:00 PM AT

The Liberals are moving quickly to declare a candidate for the upcoming byelection in Charlottetown-Parkdale. The Green party is predicting a November byelection.

The P.E.I. Liberal party is moving quickly to declare its candidate for an upcoming byelection in the district of Charlottetown-Parkdale, and at least one other party is fast-tracking its timetable in order to keep up.

Former education minister Doug Currie abruptly announced his resignation last Thursday, Oct. 19. Five days later, the Liberal party announced a nomination meeting would be held Monday, Oct. 30, to select a candidate for the byelection to fill his vacant seat.

After the Liberal announcement, the Green party quickly followed suit.

Greens see November byelection in offing

In a media release issued Wednesday, the party said it will also hold a nomination meeting Monday night.

For both parties, the speed with which they're declaring candidates means those in the running will not be able to sign up new members to the party.

PEI MacLauchlan 20150221
It's up to Liberal Premier Wade MacLauchlan to set the date for the byelection. He has six months from Doug Currie's resignation last Thursday to produce the writ. (Andrew Vaughan/The Canadian Press)

For the Liberals, members have to be signed up for 10 days before they can vote in a nomination. For the Green party, it's 30 days.

Premier yet to make the call

It's up to Liberal Premier Wade MacLauchlan to call the byelection, and he has six months to do so. According to the province's Election Act, there has to be between 26 and 32 days of campaigning between the issuing of the election writ and voting day.

Liberal party president Scott Barry said he didn't have any inside information as to when the premier would make the call, but said the party wanted to settle the nomination before the fall sitting of the legislature begins Nov. 14.

Scott Barry LinkedIn
Liberal party president Scott Barry says the party wants to have its candidate chosen before the legislature begins sitting Nov. 14. (LinkedIn)

"We don't want it to become an afterthought. Once the session goes back in, there will obviously be a lot more activity and interest in terms of the goings-on inside the legislature," Barry said.

"It is something that usually you would be looking at a meeting being set out far enough to allow for the new memberships to be signed up, but given some of the timing in play … it is something that is a little bit out of the ordinary, but everyone was onside with it."

A spokesperson for the PC Party said it requires a three-week lead-up to a nomination meeting, but if the writ comes the party is able to override that and hold its nomination meeting within 48 hours.

NDP Leader Mike Redmond told CBC News there are people interested in running for the party, and the issue will be decided in the next several weeks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4371463
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.E.I. Liberals rushing to prepare for byelection to replace Currie

Teresa Wright teresa.wright@theguardian.pe.ca
Published: Oct. 24, 2017, 6:55 p.m.

Doug Currie stepped down as an MLA and minister of Education, Early learning and Culture last week. Jordan Brown took over Currie's cabinet post this week, but a byelection still needs to be held for District 11 Charlottetown-Parkdale to fill Currie's vacant seat in the P.E.I. legislature. (File photo)

The Liberal party of P.E.I. is not wasting any time to get a candidate in place to replace the seat vacated last week by education minister Doug Currie.

The party announced late Tuesday it will hold its District 11 Charlottetown-Parkdale nomination meeting on Monday, Oct. 30.

This is less than a week for candidates interested in seeking the party nomination in the riding to put their names forward and build support.

This nomination also comes before the Liberal government has even officially called a byelection to fill this seat, which was left vacant by Currie’s abrupt resignation from office last week.

“There has been a tremendous amount of interest in this nomination and the District 11 Liberal Association has begun preparing for the by-election. We look forward to working hard to elect a strong voice for Charlottetown to join our Liberal team and government," said Scott Barry, Liberal party president.

"Former MLA Doug Currie was a strong voice for the constituents of Charlottetown-Parkdale and it's important that residents have representation and a strong voice in the legislature as our Liberal government continues to advance its mandate.”

The nomination meeting will be held on Monday, Oct. 30 at Birchwood Intermediate School. Registration begins at 6 p.m. and the meeting will be called to order at 7 p.m.

Attempts to reach Liberal party executive director Charles Curley for more information about why the party is moving so quickly to hold its nomination were not returned before deadline.

The government has up to six months to call a byelection to fill a vacancy in the legislative assembly.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....ie-157267/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Education Minister Doug Currie resigns

The Guardian
Published: Oct. 19, 2017, 11:45 a.m. Updated: Oct. 19, 2017, 10:03 p.m.

Teresa Wright/The Guardian Doug Currie says he is leaving public life to pursue another, as yet undetermined, career. He says he enjoyed the challenge of transformation during his 11-year tenure in government.

“It’s time.”

Doug Currie says this is the main reason why he has resigned as education minister and as a member of the P.E.I. legislative assembly.

The resignation took effect immediately Thursday, but Currie says it is not as sudden a decision as it may appear.

“I’ve been in this business now for 11 years,” he said.

“I’m in my 57th year, so I felt that if I want to have a potential new opportunity, the window closes fairly quickly at certain ages, so I feel right now I’m in that window that I have another opportunity to do something.”

With two years to the next scheduled provincial election, Currie says departing now allows the Liberal party ample time to find a replacement for his seat, which under the newly drawn electoral map will be District 11, Charlottetown-Belvedere.

“I owe it to the party that I make sure I give them time to look at a potential candidate, an opportunity to keep my seat strong.”

During a sit-down interview with The Guardian Thursday, Currie said he had always told himself he would never seek a fourth mandate.

But this is counter to what he told the paper during an informal conversation a few months ago, when he said he was indeed planning to run again in the next election and that he was “in it for the long haul.”

When asked what changed between then and now, Currie cited the transitions in the school system during the recent school review as the reason for saying he planned to reoffer.

The former educator and school principal says he didn’t want to become an elected official who was “hanging on and hanging on,” but rather wanted to go out on his own terms.

By leaving now, at age 57 in good health, other employment opportunities are now open to him, he said.

And he is indeed interested in a new job.

“I want another opportunity. I’m really motivated and excited to do something different,” he said, adding that he doesn’t have anything immediately lined up or in mind at this time.

Currie acknowledged his time in office was difficult at times, especially in leading ministries going through transformational and often controversial changes.

Currie served twice as health minister and twice as education minister during his 11-year tenure in office.

In those roles, he stick-handled a number of heated policy changes, many of which provoked strong backlash and heated public debate, including: primary health care reform, including the transformation of rural hospitals into long-term care and alternate care centres; the disbanding of regional health authorities and creation of Health P.E.I.; the debate about P.E.I.’s former abortion policy; the introduction of Kindergarten into the school system; the disbanding of the English school board and creation of the Public Schools Branch and the 2016-17 school review and rezoning.

Currie admits he did not always agree with some of the policy decisions he was asked to champion, although he declined to go into specifics.

Cabinet and caucus decisions are made on a consensus basis, which sometimes means dissenting views.

“I’ve always respected decision-making process and the final decisions the party would take – it didn’t mean I always agreed with them, because I didn’t. Some I did, some I didn’t - but at the end of the day, that’s how democracy works,” he said.

UPEI political scientist Peter McKenna noted politics is often thankless work that can take a personal toll.

He says he was surprised to learn Currie was leaving politics, but also felt people should not necessarily read too much into it.

“Doug Currie is an experienced member of that cabinet and has held some of the more difficult and challenging portfolios, so it is a blow to a government, it’s a setback for sure,” he said.

“But it’s also an opportunity for someone else in the caucus to move into cabinet and to shine and to learn and to grow in the job.”

Currie says he “loved the challenge of transformation,” but wants to take some time to find a new path.

He did not rule out returning to public office sometime in the future.

“I would never close the door to any opportunity and I don’t know where I will be in two or three or four or five years. I’m going to keep all my options open.”

Premier Wade MacLauchlan recognized Currie’s contributions and leadership during his time in office.

Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Alan McIsaac has agreed to take on the role of acting Minister of Education until the premier chooses a more permanent replacement.

As per the Election Act, government has six months to call a byelection to fill Currie’s now vacant seat in Charlottetown.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....ns-156482/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the pc's have also just elected a new leader but don't yet have any potential candidates for the by election )

EDITORIAL: Aylward set to go

The Guardian
Published: Oct. 26, 2017, 9:15 a.m.

James Aylward, right, is congratulated by Brad Trivers after winning the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party of P.E.I. in Brudenell last Friday night. (Guardian photo)

New PC leader won't have much time to rest on laurels

James Aylward emerged from Friday’s convention with a united party behind him – a huge bonus for the new leader. After 10 years of turmoil, the Progressive Conservative Party of P.E.I. is now focused on defeating the Liberal government instead of being distracted by lingering leadership issues.

Mr. Aylward will have scant time to relax after his five-month campaign where he faced a stiff battle from rookie MLA Brad Trivers and became a better candidate and now a more confident leader because of it.

It seems the Liberal government is fast-tracking a byelection in Charlottetown-Parkdale and the Tories must act quickly to prepare for that looming campaign. The new leader won’t be afforded much time to organize his office or adjust to his new position before being thrust back into campaign mode.

Mr. Aylward was considered the early favourite to lead the party after finishing behind Rob Lantz two years ago. He still had supporters, party machinery and experience at the ready.

Mr. Trivers put up a strong battle and presented himself as a very credible candidate. He had major obstacles to overcome, such as name recognition, money, volunteers and organization. He forced Mr. Aylward to take a stand on key issues and sharpen his positions. He made it an exciting race and deserves a lot of credit for his performance.

Until last week, both Conservative candidates thought they would have two years to prepare for an election. Now that time frame has been greatly reduced following the surprise resignation of Doug Currie. The Liberals will select a candidate next Monday and a byelection call is likely to follow immediately.

It shouldn’t be a huge transition for Mr. Aylward to move from leadership campaign into byelection mode. His battle skills have been sharpened during two leadership campaigns and a provincial election – all since late 2014. If the government thought they might catch the Tories off-guard, they won’t.

Mr. Aylward showed strength on key issues over the summer, especially with mental health, a topic that has moved into the forefront across the province. He was able to connect with families affected by mental health problems, to relate with their pain, their concerns and their needs.

The new PC leader has shown that once he presents himself at the local level, people quickly warm up to him. He is obviously popular in his Stratford-Kinlock district, winning comfortably in a tough race in 2015 against the town’s mayor.

As he addressed party delegates over the weekend, Mr. Aylward was well aware that now the real work begins. Besides the byelection, he must prepare for the opening of the legislature Nov. 14, recruit candidates, raise money and offer his party as a credible alterative to the Liberal government.

History is on Mr. Aylward’s side. It’s rare that any party earns four straight terms in office. The Liberals are deep into their third term and the October 2019 provincial election could really be considered Mr. Aylward’s to lose.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/o.....go-157554/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs join Liberals, Greens in announcing nomination date for byelection

Official opposition will hold nomination meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 1

CBC News Posted: Oct 26, 2017 4:00 PM AT| Last Updated: Oct 26, 2017 4:00 PM AT

Nomination meetings for candidates to replace Doug Currie in District 11 have been announced for the Liberals, Greens and PCs.

All three elected provincial political parties in P.E.I. have announced the dates they will choose their candidates for an upcoming byelection.

Doug Currie resigned as MLA for District 11: Charlottetown-Parkdale Oct. 19.
■'I've had a good run': Doug Currie resigning from politics

The Progressive Conservative Party announced it will hold its nomination meeting Nov. 1, following the nomination meetings for both the Liberals and Greens — both of which will be held on Oct. 30.

According to the constitution of the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party, the party requires a cutoff date for signing up new members of three weeks before a nomination meeting is held.

However, that period can be reduced to 48 hours either after the election writ has been produced, or, in the case of a byelection, at the discretion of the party's election readiness officer.

The party said it did not have an election readiness officer in place until one was chosen at an executive meeting Tuesday night.
■Race for nominations as Liberals move early in byelection

"I'm looking forward to our nomination and having a Progressive Conservative voice for the issues that matter to the people of Charlottetown-Parkdale joining our strong PC team in the Legislature," said newly minted PC Party Leader James Aylward in a news release.

The NDP, which does not currently hold a seat in the legislature, has said it has people interested in running for the party, and the issue will be decided in the next several weeks.
■Tories look to fill war chest ahead of next election

The byelection has yet to be called. Premier Wade MacLauchlan has six months from Currie's resignation to drop the writ.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4373540
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlottetown Coun. Melissa Hilton seeking PC nomination

The Guardian
Published: Oct. 27, 2017, 1:49 p.m.

Charlottetown Councillor Melissa Hilton, chairwoman for parks and recreation

The Progressive Conservatives have their first potential byelection candidate after Charlottetown Coun. Melissa Hilton announced she is seeking the party’s nomination.

Hilton made the announcement Friday for the upcoming provincial byelection in Charlottetown-Parkdale, which was left vacant after former education minister Doug Currie recently resigned.

RELATED: P.E.I. opposition parties concerned about rush to nominate candidates for byelection

The PC Party is holding its nomination meeting on Nov. 1, although there is no date yet for the byelection.

The Liberals and Green party are holding their nomination meetings on Oct. 30.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....on-157848/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.E.I. opposition parties concerned about rush to nominate candidates for byelection

Published: Oct. 25, 2017, 7:30 p.m. Updated: Oct. 25, 2017, 8 p.m.

As of Oct. 25, three people have already announced their intention to run for Doug Currie's former provincial seat in District 11, Charlottetown-Parkdale. They are, from left, Karla Bernard for the Green party, and Marcia Carroll and Bob Doiron for the Liberals. (The Guardian/Submitted photos)

Political parties in Prince Edward Island are scrambling to organize for a provincial byelection in Charlottetown, despite the fact it has yet to be called.

Three candidates for party nominations were announced Tuesday – two by the governing Liberal party and one by the Green party of P.E.I.

More are expected in the coming days from the Progressive Conservative party and NDP.

This sudden onset of byelection fever was sparked by the P.E.I. Liberal party when it announced late Monday it would hold its nomination meeting to choose a Liberal candidate for District 11 Charlottetown-Parkdale on Monday, Oct. 30.

That’s less than a week for interested candidates to come forward, gather signatures, build support and organize their life and employment to allow them to focus on campaigning for the nomination and, potentially, a seat in the P.E.I. legislature.

Liberal party president Scott Barry acknowledged this timeline is narrow but said organizers felt there was no reason to delay, as the party was organized and ready to go.

“Everyone was onside with trying to do it as soon as possible,” Barry said.

“We were very fortunate to have very high-quality people immediately express interest.”

He noted the Liberal constitution is silent regarding timelines for nominations and that district associations can hold them “whenever they see fit, if there’s a vacancy.”

He refuted any suggestion the party had an inside track this vacancy would be forthcoming or that the party was handpicking candidates.

“I had absolutely no advance knowledge, I was very surprised by it,” Barry said.

Progressive Conservative Leader James Aylward says he is disappointed to see the Liberals accelerating their nomination process, which, in turn, is forcing all other political parties follow suit to ensure they remain competitive for the seat.

Running for office is a major commitment that requires a great deal of organization and reflection, Aylward said.

“By doing this in such a short time frame, it really limits the potential pool of candidates that would like to put their name forward for Islanders.”

Green Leader Peter Bevan-Baker echoed this concern, saying he spoke with two interested individuals this week who cannot run for the Green party nomination on account of the rushed timeline.

“It limits democracy, is what it does, and that’s disappointing,” Bevan-Baker said.

At a glance

To date, three people have already announced their intention to run for the open seat in District 11, Charlottetown-Parkdale, including:

For the Liberals:
•Marcia Carroll, senior staff at the P.E.I. Council of People with Disabilities
•Bob Doiron, Charlottetown city councillor

For the Green party:
•Karla Bernard, Charlottetown teacher and green party education critic

Although the MacLauchlan government has six months to call a byelection, Bevan-Baker and others are convinced it will be called within the next month, and party workers of all colours are ensuring they are ready to hit the ground running when the writ is dropped.

The Green party announced Tuesday it approved an “expedited nomination process” to select its candidate for the district, inviting any member in good standing to apply for the nomination by Friday. The Greens will choose their candidate on the same evening as the Liberals, Monday, Oct. 30.

The PC party will announce details of its nomination process Wednesday following a meeting of the executive Tuesday evening. The PC party constitution does have imposed timelines for nominations, but a provision was added in recent years to compress them if need be.

Despite accelerated timelines, all parties say they have high-quality candidates interested in replacing Doug Currie in District 11 and are ready to mount highly competitive campaigns to capture this open seat.

“I think it’s going to be a really hotly contested byelection,” Bevan-Baker said.

“It means so much to every party for very different reasons – we would love to double our representation in the house, for the Conservatives it’s really important for them and for James (Aylward) to assert himself as a leader and to be shown to be successful immediately out of the gate and for the Liberals, they won with 43 per cent of the vote (in 2015) and have held that seat for a long time. So it means a lot to every single party and I expect a pretty exciting campaign.”

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....on-157454/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hannah Bell will run for P.E.I. Green party in District 11 byelection

Mitch MacDonald mitch.macdonald@theguardian.pe.ca
Published: Oct. 30, 2017, 7:47 p.m. Updated: 11 hours ago

Hannah Bell was nominated Monday night to run for the Green party in the District 11, Charlottetown-Parkdale byelection. Bell is pictured here with provincial Green leader Peter Bevan-Baker. (Mitch MacDonald/The Guardian)

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. - Hannah Bell won the Green party nomination for District 11 byelection.

Bell won the nomination over educator Karla Bernard.

he impending byelection for the Charlottetown-Parkdale provincial district will be held to replace Doug Currie, who resigned as an MLA earlier this month.

Bell is the Greens' finance critic and holds an MBA in innovative management from UPEI. She has 30 years of experience in the public, private and non-profit sectors in Canada and the UK.

She is currently the Executive Director of the P.E.I. Business Women's Association, owner of consultancy firm The Solution Agency; a partner in training firm Business Learning Solutions, and co-owner of The SPOT Charlottetown, a creative co-workspace and business incubator.

She lives in Parkdale with her daughter Ava and her mother Judith

http://www.journalpioneer.com/.....on-158236/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Bob Doiron to run for governing Liberals in District 11 byelection

Published: Oct. 30, 2017, 8:22 p.m. Updated: 11 hours ago

Charlottetown city councillor Bob Doiron, left, poses for a photo with Premier Wade MacLauchlan and Doiron's fellow Liberal nominee Marcia Carroll, right, on Monday night. Doiron was selected as the candidate for the impending District 11, Charlottetown-Parkdale byelection to replace former Education minister Doug Currie. Taking the photo is cabinet liaison Nancy MacPhee. (Teresa Wright/The Guardian)

Charlottetown city councillor Bob Doiron will be carrying the governing party’s banner when an imminent provincial byelection is called in Charlottetown-Parkdale.

Eighty ballots were cast during the Liberal nomination meeting Monday night at Birchwood Intermediate School, with Doiron emerging the majority winner over hopeful Marcia Carroll.

Doiron admits he was surprised by the result.

“I’m new to this,” he said.

“I was against a good candidate, she worked hard … and I don’t know anything about politics. I get involved, I work hard, I put myself out there and I’m very surprised when people put their trust in me.”

RELATED: Hannah Bell will run for P.E.I. Green party in District 11 byelection

The evening drew over 200 attendees, including almost all of the Liberal caucus and a number of party and government staffers and supporters.

But most of those in attendance could not vote, as only members who live in District 11 who had renewed their memberships within the last five years were eligible to cast a ballot.

Since the nomination process began just one week ago, candidates were not able to sign up new members to vote for them, as Liberal constitution rules stipulate members must have a party membership card for at least 10 days before being allowed to vote in a nomination convention.

This meant Doiron and Carroll could only campaign for votes among the 200 existing eligible members in the district.

Doiron was emotional when speaking to reporters after the result was announced, citing the whirlwind six-day campaign.

He said he dreamed of running provincially, but he was not expecting that day would come so soon.

“It was a sudden thing, so this was my opportunity in my life, and I took a chance and I worked hard, and I’m so thankful to the people of this district and I hope I can work my whole body off for them and keep this seat.”

“It was a sudden thing, so this was my opportunity in my life, and I took a chance and I worked hard, and I’m so thankful to the people of this district and I hope I can work my whole body off for them and keep this seat.”
-Bob Doiron

Premier Wade MacLauchlan made a point of indicating he would not use his opportunity at the podium Monday to announce the byelection date.

But he did say it would be coming soon and appealed to members to work for the party to ensure the seat vacated by former Liberal cabinet minister Doug Currie’s resignation earlier this month remains Liberal.

“This byelection is going to be important,” MacLauchlan said.

“It will be an opportunity… for our government and caucus to have an opportunity, through this byelection, to have a vote of confidence and an opportunity to ensure that our party and that this district and our government have the momentum to ensure that Islanders have the opportunity to express their confidence in what we’re doing as a government.”

RELATED: P.E.I. opposition parties concerned about rush to nominate candidates for byelection

Carroll, who was widely considered the frontrunner in the race, congratulated Doiron on his win Monday night, saying she would support Doiron as the official Liberal candidate for District 11.

Doiron was so overwhelmed by the win, he cut short his interview with reporters after the event, saying he wanted to spend time with his family.

“I’m so happy and overwhelmed, just glad and happy to be part of the Liberal party.”

He said he plans to stay on as a city councillor until the writ is dropped and then will ask Charlottetown CAO Peter Kelly for permission to take a 30-day leave of absence.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....on-158241/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byelection to fill Prince Edward Island seat to be held Nov. 27

P.E.I legislature
The Prince Edward Island legislature in Charlottetown on Thursday, Sept. 25, 2003. (Andrew Vaughan / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published Wednesday, November 1, 2017 7:40AM ADT

CHARLOTTETOWN -- Elections P.E.I. says a byelection to fill the vacant legislature seat in Charlottetown-Parkdale will be held Nov. 27.

The vote follows the resignation of former education minister Doug Currie less than two weeks ago.

Currie cited a desire to explore other professional opportunities.

Advanced voting in the riding will be held Nov. 18, 20 and 24.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/bye.....-1.3658318
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Charlottetown-Parkdale byelection will be held Nov. 27

The Guardian
Published: Oct. 31, 2017, 3:31 p.m. Updated: 16 hours ago

CHARLOTTETOWN, P.E.I. –

The byelection to fill the vacant provincial legislature seat in Charlottetown-Parkdale left by Doug Currie’s resignation will be held Nov. 27.

Premier Wade MacLauchlan made the announcement following Tuesday’s cabinet meeting.

Currie, the former Education minister, resigned from his District 11 seat less than two weeks ago, saying it was time to step down after 11 years as an MLA.

Monday night, both the Green and Liberal parties held nomination meetings for the district, with Hannah Bell chosen to represent the Greens and Charlottetown city councillor Bob Doiron selected to run for the governing Liberals.

Melissa Hilton is the only candidate who has put her name forward for the Progressive Conservative Party, which is holding its nomination meeting tonight. The party says it doesn’t expect further candidates to come forward and that nominations will not be allowed from the floor.

“It is important that residents of Charlottetown-Parkdale be represented in a timely a manner as possible in the legislative assembly, which opens in November,” said MacLauchlan. “Prince Edward Islanders are known for a nation-leading rate of voter participation, and I encourage all constituents of the district of Charlottetown-Parkdale to take part in the democratic process by getting involved and casting a vote in the Nov. 27 byelection.”

Elections P.E.I. said Tuesday there will be no confirmation of electors. Voter data collected from the 2015 provincial election will be used, along with updates to the register of electors maintained by Elections P.E.I.

Residents of District 11 will be able to vote in the byelection if they meet the requirements and are registered with Elections P.E.I.

Voters can self-register at www.voterregistration.electionspei.ca, or in person at the office of the returning officer at the Sherwood Business Centre, 161 St Peters Rd., from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Saturday.
Advance voting days will be Saturday, Nov. 18; Monday, Nov. 20; and Friday, Nov. 24. Polls will be open on Nov. 27 from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Nomination papers for candidates will be available at the office of the returning officer, and candidates have until Friday, Nov. 10 at 2 p.m. to file for their candidacy.
For more information, visit www.electionspei.ca.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....27-158378/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlottetown Coun. Melissa Hilton acclaimed as PC Party’s candidate amid signage ‘drama’

The Guardian
Published: Nov. 1, 2017, 10:54 p.m.

Melissa Hilton, centre, and her husband, Rob, right, speak with supporter Gardiner MacNeill after being acclaimed as the Progressive Conservative candidate for the District 11 byelection during a nomination meeting Wednesday night. Other candidates include Bob Doiron for the Liberal party and Hannah Bell for the Green party. T
he provincial NDP has yet to nominate a candidate. MITCH MACDONALD/THE GUARDIAN

The Progressive Conservative Party of P.E.I. is making no apologies for getting an early start on what members describe as an energetic byelection campaign.

Charlottetown Coun. Melissa Hilton was acclaimed as the party’s candidate for the District 11 byelection, which will be held on Nov. 27, during a nomination meeting at Murchison Centre Wednesday night.

Hilton’s acclamation was no surprise, with campaign signs erected in the district earlier Wednesday.

Although Elections P.E.I. said the signs contravened the Elections Expense Act, since Hilton was not a registered candidate, and requested they be taken down, party officials declined and said they had a different interpretation of how the act is written.

When asked about the issue, Hilton said she didn’t “understand the drama.”

“The signs went up after the writ was dropped. My papers were put in place, no others papers were put in, so our signs were ready and we put them up,” said Hilton. “It’s showing that we have a very energetic and excited group of people ready to work hard so we can win this seat.”

Party president Charles Blue said he was thrilled to have Hilton as a candidate.
During a speech to members, he said he was sure Hilton would win the byelection and referenced the signage issue.

“The reason I know we’re going to win this byelection is the Liberals, after 10 years, could only get 80 votes at their nominating convention. Furthermore, they have yet to put any of their signs up,” Blue said to applause.

Hilton, currently the city’s finance chairwoman, has been a councillor since 2005 and has since been re-elected three times.

She holds a bachelor of arts with a major in psychology and lives with her husband, Rob, and two daughters.

Hilton said District 11 residents face a number of issues common to all Islanders, including a lack of access to health care and affordable housing, overcrowded schools and rising taxes.

“When thinking about these issues and how I could make a difference, a positive contribution to our district, I quickly came to the conclusion the best way to do this was to become and be part of the Progressive Conservatives,” she said.

Party leader James Aylward said he was honoured to have Hilton put her name forward.

He said Hilton’s experience, passion and commitment in municipal governance would make her a strong voice for the district.

“We have work ahead of us, but we’re ready and will hit the ground running,” he said

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/n.....ma-158664/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDP chooses Mike Redmond as candidate for Charlottetown-Parkdale byelection

NDP was the last party to select a candidate for District 11 byelection Nov. 27

CBC News Posted: Nov 02, 2017 1:37 PM AT| Last Updated: Nov 03, 2017 11:26 AM AT

Mike Redmond will be the candidate for the NDP in the upcoming byelection for District 11.

The NDP Leader Mike Redmond will be running in familiar territory in the byelection in District 11: Charlottetown-Parkdale.

It's where he grew up.

"I lived here 35 years," said Redmond, at the party's nomination meeting in a micro-brewery on Allen Street in the district Thursday evening.

He says his position as party leader will make a difference in the legislature.

"Overwhelmingly, party members and people within the community said 'Mike, we need you in the legislature. We need that voice that can ask a second question. The first question's easy. It's the one to articulate Islanders desire to have openness and transparency and ask tough questions of government,'" Redmond said.

Redmond said education and electoral reform are key issues across the province.

In District 11, he cited affordable housing as a challenge that needs to be addressed.

'I know the place very well'

Surrounded by a dozen party faithful, with wife Aleida Tweten and son James at his side, Redmond noted the micro-brewery sits on the site on Allen Street where he grew up.

"So I know the place very well. I know the people very well. So it wasn't a very difficult step for me to take," he said.

Redmond will enter the race in District 11 against three nominees already selected: Liberal Bob Doiron, PC Melissa Hilton and Green Party representative Hannah Bell.

The District 11 byelection was called to fill the seat vacated when former MLA Doug Currie resigned from his position in October.

The byelection is set for Monday, Nov. 27.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4384010
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALAN HOLMAN: District 11 up for grabs

The Guardian
Published: Nov. 4, 2017, 8:38 a.m. Updated: 2 hours ago

A byelection has been called for Nov. 27 in Charlottetown-Parkdale - Bill McGuire

Charlottetown-Parkdale byelection should be a tightly contested, three-way race

The voters in Charlottetown-Parkdale are going to the polls in 23 days to choose a replacement for Doug Currie, who quit as their MLA barely two weeks ago.

There are some who think the election call was too soon. There could be a number of reasons for Premier MacLauchlan to act as quickly as he did. Some politicos would argue that byelections usually go against the government, so it’s best to get them over with as soon as possible.

Others argue a quick call is smart because it doesn’t give the opposition time to organize. But, usually that would only work if the government had a star candidate in the wings which, this time, it didn’t.

If there’s a star candidate, it’s the Conservative’s Melissa Hilton. She’s a 12-year veteran of Charlottetown municipal politics and was uncontested in her bid for the nomination.

The Liberal candidate also comes from Charlottetown’s city council. Bob Doiron is in his first term on council and won his nomination against Marcia Carroll, who many had expected to win.

Both city councillors are residents of Sherwood, but, neither live in the riding.

However, Hannah Bell does. She won the Green Party nomination and she lives in Parkdale. The Greens pose the biggest threat to both the old-line parties. In the last provincial election they got over 19 per cent and won three of the polls.

The NDP are running party leader Mike Redmond, who lives in the Montague area. His challenge will be to get more than the 11 per cent the NDP got in 2015.

Charlottetown-Parkdale appears to be up for grabs. While individuals in the riding may have some concerns, there are no pressing local issues or political problems. For instance, none of its schools were under the threat of closure.

Byelections tend to be tests of the individual candidate’s local popularity. They’re also a referendum on the leadership of the party. Not to disparage either Chris Palmer, who was elected in a byelection in Summerside last fall, or Mr. Doiron, but one of the tests of political leadership is the ability to attract high level, quality candidates and Wade MacLauchlan can’t seem to do that.

The byelection is an important test for the Premier. But, it’s even more important for James Aylward, the newly elected leader of the Conservatives. And it’s also significant for Green Party leader, Peter Bevan-Baker.

This will be Mr. Aylward’s first electoral foray as leader. The Tories generally feel they have the wind at their back, they see the Liberals, halfway through their third term in government, as being listless and devoid of enthusiasm. If the Tories were to lose this byelection it would put a real damper on their perceived momentum.

Mr. Bevan-Baker, who has proven to be an extremely effective politician, will also be tested. Since his election in 2015, polling has consistently shown him to be the most popular political leader in the province, by a wide margin. The September CRA poll showed him 11 points ahead of the Premier, and 24 points more popular than the interim Conservative leader.

If Mr. Bevan-Baker can’t translate that popularity into electoral success, or at least get a significant gain in the votes cast, then the bloom will come off his rose. Both, the Conservatives and the Liberals hope he does well, but not too well. Their best chance of success lies in the Greens taking votes that would normally go to their traditional enemy.

This byelection won’t change the government, or even significantly alter the standings in the legislature. The worry for the Liberals and Tories is that, with nothing much to lose, the majority of voters in Charlottetown-Parkdale will say, ‘a pox on both your houses’ and mark their ballot for the Greens.

And that could be a game changer.

- Alan Holman is a freelance journalist living in Charlottetown. He can be reached at: acholman@pei.eastlink.ca

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/o.....bs-159152/

Jump to: