Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She says she's running so her community can get its payoff. It's about that simple -- in the Liberal government, the insiders get all the goodies. She knows that.

She's simply being forthright. The signs are that the Liberals will be throwing money all over the place, wherever it will do them any good, in a last desperate effort to keep their hold on power. She wants to be at the table when those decisions are made.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
She says she's running so her community can get its payoff. It's about that simple -- in the Liberal government, the insiders get all the goodies. She knows that.

She's simply being forthright. The signs are that the Liberals will be throwing money all over the place, wherever it will do them any good, in a last desperate effort to keep their hold on power. She wants to be at the table when those decisions are made.

some of her quotes do seem rather odd , I agree she does seem to be implying there is going to be some spending during the final year of wynne's mandate and that she could deliver some of it to the Soo .

what's even odder is she's almost admitting the liberals aren't likely to win the next election which is an odd thing for a candidate to do . her quotes seem to imply there is one year left , but she doesn't discuss much about the future . she talks little about what she would do past 2018

from what I've seen of her , I'm not really that impressed , don't think she's as good of a candidate as the liberals though . and there was definitely a reason why she lost the last mayoral election .
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrck Brown was back in the Soo this weekend and still there today , taking by election very seriously

Jairus Patterson‏ @JairusCTV · 21m21 minutes ago

. @brownbarrie is back in the #Sault. He is speaking about the Ring of Fire and the need for it to be up and going.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premier Wynne in town, talking hydro sale, byelection

The premier said she would not make any predictions on the outcome of the byelection, scheduled for June 1
10 shares
about 2 hours ago by: Kenneth Armstrong

Virginia Suraci, a resident of the Finnish Resthome, speaks with premier Kathleen Wynne at a campaign event for the upcoming Sault Ste. Marie byelection. Kenneth Armstrong/SooToday

Debbie Amaroso, Liberal candidate for the upcoming Sault Ste. Marie byelection, stands with premier Kathleen Wynne during a campaign stop at the Finnish Resthome May 9, 2017. Kenneth Armstrong/SooToday

Kathleen Wynne, premier of Ontario, speaks during a press conference May 9, 2017 at the Civic Centre. Kenneth Armstrong/SooToday

Kathleen Wynne, premier of Ontario, was greeted by about a dozen protesters when her car pulled into the parking lot of the Finnish Resthome during a campaign event this morning.

Many of the protesters were carrying Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) flags and ‘keep hydro public’ signs as Wynne stepped out of the car to shake hands and listen to their concerns.

Yesterday, Ontario’s minister of Energy announced the sale of $3.2 billion worth of shares of Hydro One, about a 60 per cent stake in the electricity transmission utility.

Speaking to reporters at a non-campaign event at the Civic Centre earlier this morning, Wynne said the decision to broaden the ownership of Hydro One was difficult, but the Ontario government is leveraging existing assets in order to build new ones.

“We said we were going to make the largest infrastructure investment in the province that has ever been made — we’re doing that. We’re building roads, bridges, transit all over the province,” said Wynne.

Debbie Amaroso, the Liberal candidate for the upcoming Sault Ste. Marie byelection, did not attend the morning meeting at the Civic Centre, but met Wynne at the Finnish Resthome to shake hands and speak with the residents.

Wynne spoke about Amaroso’s candidacy during the media availability at the Civic Centre.

“Debbie Amaroso is the strongest candidate and she will be a terrific representative for Sault Ste. Marie at Queen’s Park,” said Wynne.

Although Andrea Horwath and Patrick Brown — leaders of the NDP and Ontario PC parties, respectively — have said publicly they are interested in attending a leader’s debate in the Sault, Wynne said she will take a wait-and-see approach.

A northern Ontario leader’s debate was held in Thunder Bay during the last election, said Wynne, and Amaroso has proposed a series of 10 debates for the local candidates.

Wynne said she debates the other party leaders regularly at Queen's Park.

“This is a local campaign. Let’s see the 10 debates roll out and then we will have the conversation, okay?” said Wynne.

The Ontario PC leader at the time, Tim Hudak, did not participate in the 2014 northern Ontario leader's debate.

“I have every confidence in our candidate, Debbie Amaroso, to be an absolutely strong voice for our Liberal platform,” added Wynne.

Mayor Christian Provenzano met with Wynne at the Civic Centre early this morning and the pair held a media availability immediately after.

“I raised again the challenges we are having with our primary employer, Essar Steel. I also reiterated the importance of Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation to the community and those jobs,” said Provenzano.

The premier said she would not make any predictions on the outcome of the byelection, scheduled for June 1.

“I think byelections are always very tough for government. Obviously the people of Sault Ste. Marie will decide,” said Wynne.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/premier-wynne-in-town-talking-hydro-sale-byelection-610486?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne already seems to be " lowering " liberal expectations for the by election , she quoted as saying she won't make any predictions and that by elections are generally tough for governments .

ok but considering this is a riding that in 2014 , the liberals got 58 % of the vote , ndp got 25 % and pc's 12 % .

it should be pretty concerning to the liberals that it appears to be in play and possibly a 3 way race . this isn't a riding the pc's have done well in for some time , the fact there finding support here indicates the liberals are losing ground province wide

also the 10 local debates idea is purely crazy , I have never seen a by election before that had 10 debates during a short 30 day campaign . the campaigns are all way too busy for 10 debates , why on earth would the liberals suggest something so stuiped ?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there will also be a libertarian candidate in the by election , although unlikely to have much impact on overall outcome )

Home » Sault Ste. Marie By-election - Voting Day, June 1, 2017

Sault Ste. Marie By-election - Voting Day, June 1, 2017

Posted on: 7 May 2017
By: Rob Brooks
Regular News

The party is contesting this by-election. A special challenge for us this time is our planned candidate for the riding is working outside of the Province and unavailable to run. Thanks Government, for making Ontario a have-not Province where people choose or even have to leave to escape high taxes and limited opportunities.

We do have a candidate identified and we will update this page with more details once our candidate is officially nominated. As always, we are working hard so people in Ontario can have a different option than the status quo parties. We hope they will check out our ideas and our platform, that we call "Explore New Possibilities".

http://libertarian.on.ca/node/6459
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I think its crazy for wynne to campaign in this by election , she is the leader with the most to lose and extremely unlikely the liberal numbers even if they win will be anywhere near the high 50% they had been getting there . so the outcome is going to make her look bad either way )

Kathleen Wynne admits Sault Ste. Marie byelection 'tough' for Liberals

Premier Kathleen Wynne admits it will be hard for her Liberals to retain the Sault Ste. Marie seat that has been in the governing party’s fold since 2003.

Premier Kathleen Wynne, shown here during an event in Windsor, admits it will be tough for the Liberals to hold onto the Sault Ste. Marie seat in the upcoming byelection. Wynne was in Sault Ste. Marie on Tuesday helping with the campaign.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Tues., May 9, 2017

Premier Kathleen Wynne admits it will be hard for her Liberals to retain the Sault Ste. Marie seat that has been in the governing party’s fold since 2003.

Campaigning in the northern city Tuesday ahead of a closely watched June 1 byelection, Wynne was philosophical.

“I think byelections are always very tough for government, you know,” the premier told reporters there.

“Obviously, the people of Sault Ste. Marie will decide, but I’m not going to make any predictions,” she said.

“But what I will say is that Debbie Amaroso is the strongest candidate and she will be a terrific representative for Sault Ste. Marie at Queen’s Park,” Wynne said of the former mayor carrying the Liberal banner.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath — whose candidate local councillor Joe Krmpotich is emerging as the favourite — said the Liberals’ April 27 balanced budget does not appear to have helped them.

“We had a budget that didn’t even include the Ring of Fire. For northerners that’s a big issue. There’s lots of opportunity up there and this government has done nothing to realize that opportunity and it’s been frustrating,” said Horwath.

That’s a reference to the massive chromite deposit discovered a decade ago, about 500 kilometres northeast of Thunder Bay, and long touted as a panacea for northern Ontario’s economy.

“They make promise after promise after promise but this year the Ring of Fire is not even in the budget. That’s a worry,” she said.

Wynne countered that the Liberals have already “committed a billion dollars to build infrastructure, to open up the Ring of Fire.”

“We are working very, very hard. I mean, I met as recently as last week with the nine chiefs of the Matawa First Nations and we’re working with them to make sure that as we move forward on this project, that we do it in a way that allows for communities to take part in the economic development that will come from the Ring of Fire,” the premier said.

“There’s nobody in the province that wants to get shovels in the ground on a road more than I do,” she said of the thoroughfare that’s needed to access the chromite, which is used in stainless steel.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown said the budget is hard to sell in the Sault.

“The budget is hurting them up there. There’s a lot of anger up there,” said Brown, who predicted his candidate, local councillor Ross Romano, is “going to exceed expectations.”

“We’re the underdogs there. This has been a Liberal and NDP seat … for practically the last 50 years,” he said.

“What I feel is that there is renewed support for the PC party in northern Ontario. I certainly feel that at the doors. They like our modern, inclusive, pragmatic PC party.”

Both Brown and Horwath have challenged Wynne to a leaders’ debate in Sault Ste. Marie during the contest, but the premier said she squares off enough against them weekly in the Legislature.

The byelection is being held to elect a successor to former minister David Orazietti, who resigned over Christmas.

Regardless of who wins, it will not change the balance of power in the 107-member legislature.

The majority Liberals currently hold 57 seats — including that of Speaker Dave Levac — while the Tories have 29 and the New Democrats have 20.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/09/kathleen-wynne-admits-sault-ste-marie-byelection-tough-for-liberals.html
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown reacts to Amaroso: 'The more debates the merrier' (update)

Liberal candidate Amaroso issues reaction to PC leader's comments
4 shares

a day ago by: Darren Taylor

Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown and Sault Ste. Marie PC candidate Ross Romano speak at Romano's campaign office, May 8, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown says he would be open to seeing Sault Ste. Marie PC byelection candidate Ross Romano step up to Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso's challenge to participate in no less than 10 debates with herself and NDP candidate Joe Krmpotich during the current byelection campaign.

“The more debates the merrier,” Brown said while on a visit to Romano’s campaign office at 232 Queen Street East Monday morning,

“I want to see Kathleen Wynne’s candidate here in Sault Ste. Marie explain why they’ve abandoned the Ring of Fire, why they’ve cut $70 million from the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines,” Brown said, adding there is a need for more nurses and PTSD treatment funding.

“I would have as many debates as we could, but we’re limited on time,” Romano said, stating he’s looking forward to at least two confirmed debates, one of them with the Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce.

The Sault riding byelection, called May 3, will be held June 1.

Brown and Romano said they would work to transform the Ring of Fire project from dream to reality if the Tories form the next provincial government.

The Ring of Fire is a term given to describe an area in far northern Ontario identified as a major source of chromite, which is used to manufacture stainless steel.

Brown slammed Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals for making no commitment to the Ring of Fire in their latest budget, introduced Apr. 27.

“The very first budget that I present as Premier (if the Tories win the next general election scheduled for 2018), the money would certainly be directed toward building the transportation corridor (necessary to access the Ring of Fire area),” Brown told reporters on another visit to support Romano in the current Sault provincial byelection campaign.

The Liberals stated in the 2014 general election campaign they would spend $1 billion on opening up the region if the federal government, then led by Stephen Harper’s Conservatives, provided matching funding of $1 billion.

The Harper government, however, said it would provide its share of funding only when Wynne’s government had a firm plan in place to develop the region.

Would Patrick Brown, as Premier, be able to squeeze $1 billion from Justin Trudeau’s federal Liberal government?

“For me, it doesn’t matter who’s in Ottawa, and frankly I’m not willing to wait any longer…I’m going to make sure we invest in the transportation corridor, with or without them (the federal government),” Brown told SooToday.

“I realize it’s a significant investment and it could be in excess of the billion dollars that was going to be allocated, but this is a $60 billion opportunity, I’m committed,” Brown said.

“(Ontario Premier) Kathleen Wynne’s recent budget was a huge disappointment to northern Ontario.”

“The Ring of Fire is a resource worth $60 billion, yet we’ve been waiting and waiting on the Liberal government (to invest in developing the region),” Brown said.

“The mining facility would create thousands of jobs…it includes the possibility of a processing facility for the north. This processing facility, the locations being considered for that would be Timmins, Thunder Bay, Sudbury or here in Sault Ste. Marie,” Brown said.

“The Ring of Fire was found in 2007. It’s been 10 years. This represents one of the greatest economic opportunities for northern Ontario and Sault Ste. Marie, and nothing has been done but empty promises,” Romano said.

“The Ring of Fire must be at the centre of any economic plan for Sault Ste. Marie and northern Ontario…I would fight to ensure there is a processing facility right here in Sault Ste. Marie. It is said that through the Ring of Fire project, within the first 10 years of development, we would be looking at approximately $9.8 billion in economic benefit to the region and upward of 5,500 jobs in the region,” Romano said.

“We have said for too long in this community we are a one horse town, we need more industry…people out there are afraid of what we are turning into,” Romano said.

Brown’s comments drew a reply from Liberal candidate Debbie Amaroso Monday afternoon.

“Today, Conservative leader Patrick Brown made false claims about the 2017 balanced budget,” Amaroso wrote in an email to SooToday.

"We...remain committed to the development of the Ring of Fire, including our commitment to invest up to $1 billion in strategic transportation infrastructure in the Ring of Fire.

“Contrary to Mr Brown’s claims, baseline funding at the Ministry of Northern Development and Mines is actually $30 million higher than last year.”

“This means even more investment than before in northern highways, the ONTC, mineral development and more. As always, our government also remains committed to full funding of the $100 million Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation to help create jobs and grow the northern economy.”

“The change seen in this year’s overall budget is due to the fact that the Ministry undertook $100 million worth of one-time, unanticipated mine site rehabilitation last year to help protect the environment. Given that this additional mine rehabilitation work was completed in 2016, similar funding is not anticipated to be required during this fiscal year. Mr Brown insists he values fiscal discipline, yet it would appear he is advocating continuing to fund a mine clean-up that has already been cleaned up.”

“Our balanced, progressive budget invests to support northern Ontario, including new investments in Sault Ste. Marie,” Amaroso wrote.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/brown-reacts-to-amaroso-the-more-debates-the-merrier-609130
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( although rather crazy the candidates are trying to fit a record number of debates into a very short by election campaign , record as I've personally never heard of a by election even having 7 debates yet alone 10 )

Seven of Debbie's 10 debates set up and ready to go

Two dates, May 16 and 23, have two debates booked on each. The first debate is scheduled for Friday, May 12
1 shares
about 15 hours ago by: SooToday Staff
Updated about 11 hours ago

As reported earlier by SooToday, Debbie Amaroso, the Liberal candidate in the upcoming byelection for Sault Ste. Marie, has challenged her opponents for the empty seat in Queen's Park to ten debates.

She issued the challenge when she launched her campaign to represent the Sault as its MPP.

Both NDP Candidate Joe Krmpotch and Conservative Candidate Ross Romano have said they're in for the challenge, for as many as they have time for, anyway.

Krmpotch said he wondered if he could fit in 10 debates in a month, explaining that he's been spending much of his time knocking on doors.

"It seems rather high, 10 in 28 days, but I’m happy to have as many debates as we can,” said Romano.

Even the leader of the Ontario PC Party, Patrick Brown agreed, saying the more the merrier in reference to Amaroso's challenge to ten debates.

Debbie Amaroso's office sent us the following list of debates she says are scheduled during the race that will end at the polls in Sault Ste. Marie on June 1.

Debates
May 12: 10 to 11 a.m. - All Candidates Debate - Seniors' Issues

(Space is limited)

Collegiate Heights Retirement Home, 95 Fauquier Ave, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 0A2

May 16 - 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. - USW 2251 All Candidates Morning Debate
Marconi Club, 450 Albert St W, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 1C3

May 16 - 7 to 9:30 p.m. - USW 2251 All Candidates Evening Debate

May 17 - 7:45 to 10 a.m. - Chamber of Commerce All Candidates Breakfast

Quattro Hotel, 229 Great Northern Rd, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 4Z2, Canada

May 18 - 7 to 9 p.m. - Sault Ste. Marie Public Library Debate,
50 East St, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 3C3

May 23 - 7 to 8:30 p.m. - Ontario Health Coalition All Candidates Debate

May 23 - 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. - Sault Real Estate Board All Candidates Debate
Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre, 50 Pim St, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 3G4

May 30 - 7 to 9 p.m. - Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce/Algoma University Televised All Candidates Debate, Council Chambers, 99 Foster Drive

EDITOR'S NOTE: An earlier version of this story included an incorrect location and sponsor information for the May 30 televised debate

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/seven-of-10-debates-set-up-and-ready-to-go-612177
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Party announces Kara Flannigan as Sault Ste. Marie By-election Candidate

By Content Team -
May 10, 2017

GPO leader Mike Schreiner welcomes Kara Flannigan as the Green Party of Ontario candidate for the June 1 by-election in Sault Ste Marie.

“I am running in this by-election to offer people in Sault Ste Marie a positive choice,” says Flannigan. “Communities need a voice that represents positive change. My priorities are to push the renewable energy economy in Sault Ste. Marie, to bring sustainable jobs to the area and to encourage the transition to a low carbon economy.”

Kara has lived in Sault Ste. Marie for over 30 years, and works in the public health sector. She is an avid supporter of the local arts, and involved in various social justice activities.

“I’m excited to welcome Kara as our GPO candidate,” says Mike Schreiner, GPO leader. “Kara’s commitment to the community makes her an excellent candidate for Sault Ste Marie. Residents in Sault Ste Marie deserve better than what they are getting under the status quo parties. A vote for Kara and the Green Party is a vote for change.”

“Running for the Green Party of Ontario allows me to put my community first,” adds Flannigan. “I commit to acting with honesty and integrity, to providing solutions and not just criticism, and to only make promises I can keep.”

“My vision for Sault Ste Marie is to benefit from the clean tech economy and to build on being the alternative energy capital of North America with leadership and good local jobs.”

The Green Party is committed to honesty, integrity and making decisions that work for Ontario.

https://saultonline.com/2017/05/green-party-announces-kara-flannigan-as-sault-ste-marie-by-election-candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some interesting number crunching on the 5 by elections that have taken place since Brown elected leader

here's what I found , in each liberals have seen % of the vote drop and raw total of votes went down by anywhere from 7000-10,000 votes , pc's have seen % of the vote increase by around 10% in all , ndp mostly stayed the same or gained a few %

Simcoe North - liberal - 9 % and 7000 votes , pc +10 % , ndp +1 %

Whitby Oshawa - liberal - 4% and 10,000 votes , pc's + 12 % , ndp - 7 %

Scarborough Rogue River - Liberal -9% and 9000 votes , pc + 10 , ndp - 4%

Ottawa Vanier - liberal - 7% and 7000 votes , pc + 7.5% , ndp + 2 %

Niagara West Glanbrook - liberal - 13 % and 10,000 votes , pc +12 %, ndp +2.6 %

so if we followed those clear trends the estimated total I got for sault ste marie was

liberal 46-48% a loss of 10% and 8000 or so votes , pc 25 % gain of 12 % , ndp 27-30 % gain 2% or bit more .

of course that is just an estimate based on the trends I saw in 5 by elections so far and Soo is a swingy riding with an odd history . the ndp could do better , when they won the nearby riding of Algoma manitoulin in 2011 , there was a 7.5% swing to the ndp and a 14 % loss for the liberal mpp , but even with that % of swing the liberals would still barely hang on
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little bit of data collection RCO. Thanks.

Certainly, the unhappy ones are more likely to vote in a by-election. But there seems to be a tide turning in favour of the PCs. The hydro bills mean a lot, is my bet. I have already described the situations in rural Ontario. Already, a small store's power costs -- to keep half a dozen refrigeration going -- have been reported to have forced a closure. But the problem is the real situation won't be revealed untll after the election. If then.

But people are on to it. At least some are. Facebook buzzes with anti-Liberal vignettes, quite educational. They don't need to 'spin' the facts. One item compared the cost of electricity in Quebec, Ontario, and Manitoba, and it was shocking. We pay more for electricity than any jurisdiction in North America, it is claimed. Ontario Hydro is a horrible story we must learn from. What killed this golden-egg laying goose? It was once a pace setter for public corporations. All we know now is that it owes a lot of debt, it's very expensive, and nobody is responsible for what happened even if we ever learn the details. And they go on acting as if everything is in good hands. Can people watch that, in the form of a commercial, without snickering and making excellent bits of snark go viral?

This is a major failure that has cost us a basic piece of our public infrastructure. It's not just an issue that the opposition can exploit, it's a great loss for the population. This is why we put up with all their power, they are supposed to know what they're doing.

The people have lost a valuable asset due to government incompetence.

In some voiceless way, the people have to know. They have to know something magical is happening because an asset has suddenly turned into a liability. They're getting a kick in the ass every month in the form of a hydro bill. It violates the expectations, an d now promises to continue to do so until ... forever,

They are witnessing reverse alchemy of government, taking the trust of the people and betraying it. But nobody wants to be the first to say it, to acknowledge the truth. This is not a ;roblem that can be fixed. Not even our guys can change reaiity.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
Nice little bit of data collection RCO. Thanks.

Certainly, the unhappy ones are more likely to vote in a by-election. But there seems to be a tide turning in favour of the PCs. The hydro bills mean a lot, is my bet. I have already described the situations in rural Ontario. Already, a small store's power costs -- to keep half a dozen refrigeration going -- have been reported to have forced a closure. But the problem is the real situation won't be revealed untll after the election. If then.

But people are on to it. At least some are. Facebook buzzes with anti-Liberal vignettes, quite educational. They don't need to 'spin' the facts. One item compared the cost of electricity in Quebec, Ontario, and Manitoba, and it was shocking. We pay more for electricity than any jurisdiction in North America, it is claimed. Ontario Hydro is a horrible story we must learn from. What killed this golden-egg laying goose? It was once a pace setter for public corporations. All we know now is that it owes a lot of debt, it's very expensive, and nobody is responsible for what happened even if we ever learn the details. And they go on acting as if everything is in good hands. Can people watch that, in the form of a commercial, without snickering and making excellent bits of snark go viral?

This is a major failure that has cost us a basic piece of our public infrastructure. It's not just an issue that the opposition can exploit, it's a great loss for the population. This is why we put up with all their power, they are supposed to know what they're doing.

The people have lost a valuable asset due to government incompetence.

In some voiceless way, the people have to know. They have to know something magical is happening because an asset has suddenly turned into a liability. They're getting a kick in the ass every month in the form of a hydro bill. It violates the expectations, an d now promises to continue to do so until ... forever,

They are witnessing reverse alchemy of government, taking the trust of the people and betraying it. But nobody wants to be the first to say it, to acknowledge the truth. This is not a ;roblem that can be fixed. Not even our guys can change reaiity.

should note too , for my analysis , a bigger swing is possible without a high profile incumbent mpp on the ballot .

I was just looking thru some northern ridings and how the first election without same incumbent went , in Temiskaming Cochrane in 2011 , liberals lost 17 % when mpp retired , ndp gained 9.5% and won riding , pc's gained 7.6%

so if a lot of Orazietti's votes were personal and not as much liberal , the drop could be more significant than other Ontario ridings where incumbency is less important than northern Ontario
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sault coffee and donut shops getting walloped, business owner says

Lucy Fronzi says she has tried everything, but hydro rates keep going up

May 12, 2017 9:39 PM by: Darren Taylor

170512-HORWATHANDKRMPOTICHATCOFFEESHOP-DT

Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath and Sault NDP candidate Joe Krmpotich discuss commercial electricity rates with Sault business owner Lucy Fronzi at Country Style at 275 Second Line West, May 12, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Being a small business owner is always a challenge, but electricity prices are financially zapping Steve and Lucy Fronzi, who own two Country Style coffee shops and three M&M Meat Shops in the Sault.

Ontario NDP leader Andrea Horwath and Sault byelection NDP candidate Joe Krmpotich paid an official visit to the Country Style location at 275 Second Line West Friday to look over copies of Fronzi’s commercial electricity bills and listen to her concerns.

“Our hydro costs are a huge percentage of our operating expenses and we’ve done what we thought we should do to reduce our hydro costs,” Fronzi told SooToday.

“In our stores we put timers on our freezer doors, we changed all our lights to LED lights, we put in a system that tries to regulate differences in temperature, but to no avail.”

Fronzi said she has not had to cut staff at any of her stores, “but our costs are unbelievable.”

It is estimated hydro bills for each of her business locations are at $2,000 per month.

Fronzi said she and her husband have sought provincial aid with their commercial electricity costs, but said “there’s nothing, we’ve searched.”

“Privatizing hydro is not the way to go, because these licensed energy retailers come and tell you we’re going to reduce your hydro bills, we start getting into it and they’re not reduced…I think I’m a very astute business person and I got taken, so I can imagine how seniors and other people will be fooled as we were,” Fronzi said.

The NDP has voiced its opposition to the government’s sale of Hydro One and has said a New Democrat government would cut hydro rates for Ontarians by 30 per cent.

The ruling Liberal government of Premier Kathleen Wynne has already unveiled its own plan to slash hydro rates by 25 per cent.

The Progressive Conservatives have stated their strategy to reduce hydro rates will be revealed sometime before the 2018 general election.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/sault-coffee-and-donut-shops-getting-walloped-business-owner-says-614065
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Romano: Life is harder for Ontario seniors

Romano visits with seniors and hears their concerns
7 shares
May 12, 2017 10:00 PM by: SooToday Staff
Updated May 13, 2017 12:22 AM

NEWS RELEASE

Advertisement

PC BYELECTION CANDIDATE

SAULT STE. MARIE, ONT - “I was very pleased to spend some time today at Chartwell Collegiate Heights Retirement Home and have a conversation with local seniors about the issues that are important to them” said Ross Romano, the Ontario PC candidate in the ongoing Sault Ste. Marie by-election.

“I have heard the same thing over and over again from seniors on the campaign trail: life is harder for Ontario seniors. They have faced cut after cut to their healthcare including to much needed physiotherapy services and to the services that help them with the cost of assisted devices like canes, hearing aids and wheelchairs. After 14 years of Liberal government, Ontario’s seniors pay more and get less."

“Seniors are a vital part of our community and its time they had a voice at Queen’s Park fighting for them.”

The Sault Ste. Marie by-election is set for June 1st. Ross Romano is the Ontario PC candidate.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/ross-romano-life-is-harder-for-ontario-seniors-614338

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: