Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some more news on this possible liberal candidate , it turns out it was not even the local association that approached her about running but rather party leadership in Toronto and there the ones doing the robocall poll to test her chances . so we can see the party brass is downtown Toronto is so worried about this by election there willing to do anything possible to try and hold the seat )

Debbie Amaroso learns to never say never

The Ontario Liberals have been quietly running a robocall poll to test Amaroso's chances as Liberal candidate in the upcoming provincial byelection. So far, she hasn't decided whether to seek the nomination
30 shares
about 11 hours ago by: David Helwig

Debbie-Amaroso-Portrait
Amaroso's unexpected win in the 2010 mayoral race earned her the moniker 'Dark Horse Debbie'

Debbie Amaroso is a fighter, not a quitter.

But the 2014 municipal election seemed to knock the wind completely from her sails.

"I’m fairly confident in saying it will be the last you hear of me politically in this city,” Amaroso told one news outlet after losing the mayoralty to Christian Provenzano by almost 2,000 votes.

Today, there's word we might not have heard the last of Mayor Deb.

The Ontario Liberal Party has been quietly conducting a robocall poll to test Amaroso's chances as Liberal candidate in the upcoming byelection to replace Sault MPP David Orazietti.

Amaroso confirms she's been approached – not by the local Liberal association but by the party leadership in Toronto – about seeking the Sault Ste. Marie nomination.

She's giving it some serious thought.

"I've been approached and I haven't made a decision yet," she tells SooToday.

She says she'll review the poll results as part of her decision.

And she'll also weigh the effects on her personal life, including the time she likes to spend with her four grandkids.

"The last couple of years, I really engaged with my children's expanding family. With me, it's always family first. It's a difficult decision to not have the flexibility that I have had in the past year."

Since her 2014 defeat, Amaroso has been working as a licensed wedding officiant and building a consulting practice, DA Superior Edge Consulting, specializing in things like team-building, human resources and other skills acquired during her time in politics and at the March of Dimes.

Amaroso owns a house in Sault Ste. Marie, but spends most of her time these days in Goulais River.

"Now retired, she loves to golf, travel to see her adult children and spend time at her home on Goulais Bay," says her biography on the All Seasons Weddings website. "Debbie has a tremendous knack for making people feel comfortable and has a good sense of humour."

Amaroso is fully capable of pulling surprising political victory from the jaws of expected defeat.

After she was elected mayor in 2010, SooToday's Carol Martin wrote: "Dark Horse Debbie emerged out of nowhere last night, proving every pollster and pundit wrong, handily beating Jamie Caicco and a couple of noncontenders to become the Sault's first-ever female mayor."

How about that "it will be the last you hear of me politically in this city" remark in 2014?

"I need to learn the 'never say never' philosophy," she tells SooToday.

Local lawyer and Ward 6 councillor Ross Romano has been nominated to represent the Ontario PC Party in the byelection.

Romano's Ward 6 counterpart Joe Krmpotich is running for the New Democratic Party.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/debbie-amaroso-learns-to-never-say-never-578878
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the recent article from Soo today raises a number of serious questions

1. why has the " party leadership " in Toronto seemingly taken over the candidate search from the local riding association ? and is there even going to be an open nomination or is someone simply going to be appointed

2 . why are potential candidates being approached when they themselves never expressed any interest in running provincially ? and how are they deciding on who these potential candidates are ?

3. why such concern by party brass in Toronto about 1 by election is a rather remote and forgotten northern Ontario city ?

4. why such concern about a by election that is about filling a term that is going to likely be less than a year anyways ? and for a riding that will likely have another competitive election in 2018 anyways ? even if liberals do lose the by election

5 why are the liberals delaying the sault ste marie by election , 3 months and counting ? and leaving riding without representation ? why have they never set a date for a nomination meeting ? when they clearly are searching for candidates

I suspect its all cause Wynne and her loyalists know she is running out of time and could have a very difficult time staying on as leader if they lose anymore seats . so there desperately trying to find someone who they feel has enough profile in the riding to win a by election and the backroom people seem to think a former mayor might do the trick
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are already an elected official;
Why step down to run for a seat you may not win and if you do win you may get swept out a year down the line if there is a PC sweep?

I think it speaks volumes that the OLP is having such a challenge finding someone to run in a riding they won by nearly 10,000 votes with almost 60% of the popular vote.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
If you are already an elected official;
Why step down to run for a seat you may not win and if you do win you may get swept out a year down the line if there is a PC sweep?

I think it speaks volumes that the OLP is having such a challenge finding someone to run in a riding they won by nearly 10,000 votes with almost 60% of the popular vote.

I agree but the lady mentioned in latest article is a former now retired mayor of sault ste marie . she lost in 2014 and said she was finished with politics at the time

it does seem odd the liberals are having such trouble finding someone for this riding , as it has been an area they've done well . although just cause they did well in past doesn't mean that success will continue . the soo has been a swingy area politically and has voted for various parties over the years
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also consider what we now know and is alleged to have took place prior to the Sudbury by election , shouldn't we be concerned some of the same might be going down in the Soo ?

where people are being offered something by high up liberals in the backrooms in Toronto or are we suppose to accept this as business as usual under the Ontario liberals ?

and does anyone really believe ( Elizabeth Witmer and Christine Elliott ) both just happened to give up there seats and suddenly find high paying jobs with provincial government both in ridings the liberals hoped to win the coming by elections in ? does anyone really believe they weren't offered something ? which would of been illegal under our laws and similar to accusations in Sudbury

it seems that whenever there is an open seat , the liberals go to extremes to try and secure a victory , either massive amounts of funding or the kinds of political games we saw in Sudbury where potential candidates are urged to leave the race for someone else
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Christine Elliot leaving politics had more to do with Patrick Brown then anything else.

The Federal Liberals suffered for years because they always had leadership in waiting camps.

Dunlop who was critical of Brown is gone;
Elliot who ran against Brown is gone;
And Tim Hudak who seemed quite content to ride out his days as an MPP is gone.

My thought is that Brown who was an outsider simply wanted to mopped the decks of the old party and bring in a lot of his people.

Just my 0.02
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I think Christine Elliot leaving politics had more to do with Patrick Brown then anything else.

The Federal Liberals suffered for years because they always had leadership in waiting camps.

Dunlop who was critical of Brown is gone;
Elliot who ran against Brown is gone;
And Tim Hudak who seemed quite content to ride out his days as an MPP is gone.

My thought is that Brown who was an outsider simply wanted to mopped the decks of the old party and bring in a lot of his people.

Just my 0.02

its no doubt Christine Elliot left because she lost the leadership race to brown and I agree it made more sense for her to move onto to something else than stick around as an mpp .
but at the same time seems unlike she would of been offered the new " just created " position of patient ombudsman if not for the fact it opened up a 905 riding the liberals though was winnable at the time

the Elizabeth witmer situation looks even worse and is much harder to explain , at the time she was the long time mpp for Kitchener Waterloo and maybe should of retired but had stuck around .

and at the time , the liberals were 1 seat short of a majority , then suddenly 1 seat in a potentially winnable riding in southern Ontario opens up when she was hired at the WSIB , does anyone really think she would of been given that job if not for the fact it opened up a potentially winnable riding ? when the liberals needed 1 seat for a majority , I wasn't born yesterday and really don't believe much that comes out of queens park from this government anymore

well the courts are looking into what happened in Sudbury during that by election I think there is much more relating to this governments actions which is worthy of further investigation , I mean the gas plant scandal wasn't even fully investigated as wynne won a majority in 2014 and that seemed to close it
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( this article seems to indicate the ndp plan to focus a lot of attention on the Soo with nearby mpp's indicating they plan to campaign often in the by election )

Early election unlikely: expert

Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2017 6:00 am | Updated: 1:23 pm, Tue Apr 4, 2017.

By Carl Clutchey, CJ staff | 3 comments

Though rumours about a snap election persist, veteran political watchers and those close to the legislative action doubt Ontarians will be going to the polls a year ahead of schedule.

“No, because (the Liberal government) committed to predictable elections,” Lakehead University politics Prof. Laure Paquette said Monday.

If the Liberals seek to face the voters earlier than planned, “they’ll take a bath on that,” Paquette predicted.

Paquette noted that the Liberals have time to present two more budgets before the next election, which isn’t officially to take place until June of 2018.

“They’re unpopular now, so they need to wait a little longer with a budget full of goodies,” Paquette added.

Beyond Queen’s Park, candidates and MPPs jockeying for position are fuelling thoughts of an early vote.

Last month, former Thunder Bay MP John Rafferty announced plans to run for the NDP provincially to challenge current Liberal MPP Bill Mauro in the Thunder Bay-Atikokan riding.

And in Algoma-Manitoulin, NDP MPP Mike Mantha was recently acclaimed as that party’s candidate — more than a year ahead of the June 2018 vote.

Mantha, who is well aware of the early-election rumours, said there’s no connection between him getting the nomination early and the prospect of an early vote.

“The timing was right, so the riding association thought we could get (the nomination) done so we could focus on other things.”

One of those things is an upcoming byelection to be held in the neighbouring riding of Sault Ste. Marie, which became vacant in December following the resignation of former Liberal MPP David Orazietti.

Mantha said he plans to campaign for the NDP candidate — Sault Ste. Marie city Coun. Joe Krmpotich. But he doesn’t think the province will face a full election before next year.

“I’m not hearing that, but you always have to be ready for anything,” he said.

See the full story on page A3 of the print and digital editions of The Chronicle-Journal

http://www.chroniclejournal.co.....594e1.html
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't agree with John Rafferty's politics;
He is a good man who is loyal to his constituents.

If the PCs can't win that riding I would be happy for him to do so.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
While I don't agree with John Rafferty's politics;
He is a good man who is loyal to his constituents.

If the PCs can't win that riding I would be happy for him to do so.

I would imagine the ndp are more likely to pick up the 2 thunder bay seats if the liberals are unable to hold them , its also not clear if Michael Gravelle in Thunder bay superior will even run again after he took leave for depression

in sault ste marie the ndp have a deep history and will be a serious campaign in the by election . its far too early to say who might win it but they have to be taken seriously

realistically the pc's are more likely to gain voter share than actually win , although if they could pick up the seat that be great . but at same time if they went from 10% to 25% in an unheld riding that be a great sign of future growth up north
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it seems increasingly likely that Debbie Amoroso will be the liberal candidate in the by election , think this sets up a tight 3 way race in the riding and makes the by election increasingly unpredictable )

Deb is back

And this time the city's first woman mayor has her sights set on a seat at Queen's Park
30 shares
about 18 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

Debbie Amoroso, then-mayor of Sault Ste. Marie, seen in this 2013 file photo. Kenneth Armstrong for SooToday

Former mayor Debbie Amaroso released the following statement this afternoon announcing her plan to seek the Liberal candidacy in the race to replace David Orazietti as the city's Member of Provincial Parliament:

My fight on behalf of the people of Sault Ste. Marie isn’t over.

Today, I am happy to announce that I will seek the Ontario Liberal Party nomination for the coming by-election in our constituency.

With just over a year before the 2018 general election, Sault Ste. Marie needs a proven advocate to go down to Queen’s Park and fight and deliver for our city. We need someone who knows how to lead, can work well with others and will use a seat in the government to make sure Sault Ste Marie has the support we need to create and maintain local jobs.

I want to be that advocate and put my proven record delivering change for our City to work at Queen’s Park.

As the Soo’s first female mayor and a former city councillor, I am proud of my record fighting for our City.

When I was mayor, I was a passionate advocate for job creation through the exciting plans for the deep water Port of Algoma redevelopment.

I worked to secure funding from all three levels of government for this important economic project. I also have a long record of working to improve our roads, bridges and local bus service.

As a grandmother, small business owner and a former manager of our local March of Dimes, I am passionate about ensuring we invest in education, healthcare and the support people need to succeed here in the Soo.

For nearly twenty years, former MPP David Orazietti was a tireless advocate for our City, helping to secure funding for our hospital, our college and university, our roads and bridges, and to protect our natural environment. This Liberal government has been good for Sault Ste. Marie, and I want to continue in that tradition. We need to ensure we maintain our influence in the government and I will always fight to ensure our City’s needs are addressed.

Throughout my career, I’ve always been clear and straightforward with voters, and I’ll be no different as MPP. I have a proven record creating positive change for our City, and I’m not stopping now

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/deb-is-back-591326
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaroso to seek Liberal nomination

By Sault Star Staff

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 3:08:03 EDT PM

Sault Ste. Marie Mayor Debbie Amaroso.

Former mayor Debbie Amaroso will be seeking the Ontario Liberal Party nomination in the upcoming byelection.

Amaroso made the announcement in a press release Tuesday.

“My fight on behalf of the people of Sault Ste. Marie isn't over,” she said.

Amaroso said Sault Ste. Marie needs a prove advocate to go to Queen's Park and fight and deliver results for the city.

“We need someone who knows how to lead, can work well with others and will use a seat in the government to make sure Sault Ste. Marie has the support we need to create and maintain local jobs,” she said in the press release.

Amaroso said that as the city's first female mayor, and former city councillor, she was a “passionate advocate” for job creation through the exciting plans for the deep water Port of Algoma redevelopment and worked to secure government funding for the project.

As a grandmother, small business owner and a former manager of the local March of Dimes, Amaroso said she's passionate about ensuring there is investment in education, healthcare and the support people need to succeed locally.

“This Liberal government has been good for Sault Ste. Marie and I want to continue in that tradition,” she said. “We need to ensure we maintain our influence in the government and I will always fight to ensure our city's needs are addressed.”

The byelection has yet to be called by Premier Kathleen Wynne. She has until June 30 to do so.

Others running in the byelection include PC candidate Ross Romano and NDP candidate Joe Krmpotich, both of whom are current city councillors.

http://www.saultstar.com/2017/.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to make of the Debbie Amaroso news , or that sure how well known or liked she actually is in the riding . I often find there is a reason someone is the "former " mayor and sometimes it can be more difficult to make a political comeback than initially though . coming out of retirement and running for the liberals at a time of some of there worst polling numbers is somewhat of a hard move to explain .
( even though the liberals have done well in the Soo since 2003 , they'll almost certainly do worse than they did in 2014 , I can't really see them getting more than 40% and that likely would give the ndp a shot here and see pc's make a big improvement )

and after reading the Toronto star article you have to wonder how motivated the liberal caucus truly is to win this by election and save Wynne's job as leader . could easily be a case of winning the battle but losing the war later on .

I really don't see a pathway for wynne to stay leader much longer or a realistic scenario for them to even keep all the seats they have now
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PCs demand Premier Wynne call Sault by-election

Sault Ste. Marie hasn’t had a voice at the table for more than 109 days
23 shares
about 11 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

election AdobeStock1
Stock image

NEWS RELEASE

ONTARIO PCS

Wednesday, the Ontario PCs called on Premier Kathleen Wynne to immediately call the Sault Ste. Marie by-election.

“The people of Sault Ste. Marie deserve to have representation at Queen’s Park. They’ve been entirely shut out of the debate on important issues that affect their community,” said Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown.

“Premier Kathleen Wynne used the fact her party couldn’t find a candidate as an excuse to avoid being accountable to the people of Sault Ste. Marie. Now that the Wynne Liberals have finally found a candidate, the premier should put aside her political self-interests and do the right thing for the Sault.”

The Ontario PCs have a website, www.avoiceforthesault.com, showing how long the people of Sault Ste. Marie have been without a representative at Queen’s Park. As of Apr. 19, Sault Ste. Marie hasn’t had a voice at the table for more than 109 days. Former MPP David Orazietti officially resigned his seat on Dec. 31.

Brown noted that the people of Sault Ste. Marie are without a representative during a very important time including the upcoming budget that will have real implications on families and businesses.

This will be the first time in the riding’s history that there won’t be an MPP during the budget debate. The PCs nominated Ross Romano several months ago.

“As the Wynne Liberals continue to hike taxes, raise hydro bills, slash health care services, and spend hard-earned taxpayer dollars aimlessly, the people of Sault Ste. Marie deserve to have a voice. Let’s get a Sault MPP at Queen’s Park as soon as possible so that they can engage in these important discussions.”

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/ontario-pcs-demand-premier-wynne-call-sault-by-election-592353
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie Amaroso was a single term Mayor;
She lost in 2006, won in 2010, then lost again in 2014.

Its still an impressive get for the OLP considering their current polling numbers, but with that said she was likely not on the top three list for potential candidates.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: