Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was no run-of-the-mill visit (video)

PC leader Brown, Sault candidate Romano meet with local business figure, want to tackle high hydro prices
95 shares
about 19 hours ago by: Darren Taylor

170103-PATRICKBROWNROSSROMANOJIMBONIFERRO-DT
Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown and Sault PC candidate Ross Romano meet with Jim Boniferro, Boniferro Mill Works president and CEO, Jan. 3, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Local Progressive Conservatives are clearly pumped about the coming by-election in Sault Ste. Marie and their chances of representing this riding provincially for the first time since 1985.

After a meet and greet held Monday at Algoma’s Water Tower Inn & Suites, Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown, accompanied by Sault PC candidate Ross Romano, visited Boniferro Mill Works Tuesday afternoon to present themselves as the alternative to Premier Kathleen Wynne’s governing Liberals.

“I’m really concerned that Ontario’s becoming less competitive,” Brown told reporters Tuesday after meeting with Jim Boniferro, the mill’s president and CEO.

“Speaking with Jim here today, he’s got to compete with Michigan. There are 50 jobs here, another 100 out in the bush, I want to protect those jobs, and right now in Michigan they don’t have cap and trade and hydro prices like we have in Ontario,” Brown said.

Cap and trade and hydro prices, among other factors, have been called job killers by critics.

“We’re going to continue to see a decline in Ontario’s employment if we continue down this path, and that’s why I want to get hydro prices under control, I want to dismantle Kathleen Wynne’s cap and trade to protect jobs in Sault Ste. Marie and Ontario,” Brown said.

“Hydro rates are always a challenge in the industry,” Boniferro told SooToday.

“Cap and trade is up there (as a concern) because we have a natural gas boiler that provides heat and power to our organization, so all of those things coming together has a concern of ‘what’s the future going to look like for us, and what are our expenses going to be?’”

“I think it’s important that Sault Ste. Marie is very well represented in the government, I think David (Orazietti, the Sault’s former Liberal MPP) did that and I think Ross can do that. That’s my concern as a Sault Ste. Marie business person, is that we have a strong voice in government, we’ve enjoyed that for a number of years and I want to make sure we keep that,” Boniferro said.

When asked by SooToday if Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC) funding would be maintained at current levels in order to support projects in the Sault and across the north, Brown replied with a quick “yes.”

“If anything, I’ve said it’s not meeting the demand and opportunities, and we’ll enhance ways of helping the north,” Brown said.

The party is eager for the by-election to be called after Orazietti’s sudden resignation from provincial politics in December.

“We need to get representation in Sault Ste. Marie, we need Kathleen Wynne to call this by-election and I hope she calls it soon,” Romano told SooToday.

“We are ready to go, and I’m ready to serve the Sault…it’s important to the people of this community.”

Orazietti’s resignation marks the first time since October 1978 that the Sault riding’s seat has been vacant in the Ontario Legislature.

“We feel confident, I feel confident, I’m excited…we had a soft kick- off last night with Patrick’s visit, and I would say to all the residents of the Sault to look forward to seeing me at your door,” Romano said.

Brown and Romano said they had also spoken with other local stakeholders such as paramedics, firefighters and teachers union officials during this current leader’s visit.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/this-was-no-run-of-the-mill-visit-502059
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full credit to Patrick Brown going all in on every by-election that comes along.

The PCs haven't been a factor in Sault Ste. Marie for a very long time;
This is a riding that the NDP should be going all in to try and take back (1985 - 2003), and where they have finished ahead of the PCs since.

You would think that Andrea Horwath would have been the first one to visit the riding?

While its not a riding I expect the Tories to win;
If they can make enough noise and grow the grassroots in Northern Ontario its a good thing.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Full credit to Patrick Brown going all in on every by-election that comes along.

The PCs haven't been a factor in Sault Ste. Marie for a very long time;
This is a riding that the NDP should be going all in to try and take back (1985 - 2003), and where they have finished ahead of the PCs since.

You would think that Andrea Horwath would have been the first one to visit the riding?

While its not a riding I expect the Tories to win;
If they can make enough noise and grow the grassroots in Northern Ontario its a good thing.

on the ndp , there was a story on the news today about Browns visit and it mentioned Horwath is going to visit Sault Ste Marie this thursday although no word yet on possible ndp candidates

the riding has an odd swing history , without a high profile liberal mpp as a candidate its anyones guess where the riding is headed . I don't feel its completely hopeless for the pc's and even if they don't win the by-election, it presents as opportunity to grow and identify new supporters before the general election in 2018

if the liberals don't come up with a star candidate for the by-election its going to be a very hard riding to hold onto , and if I was a star liberal candidate would I really want to run for Wynne when she was at her weakest and most unpopular point in her career ? why not just wait for the next election ?
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also one potential star liberal candidate we can pretty much rule out would be current liberal mp Terry Sheehan , unlike the by-election in Sudbury where they were able to lure away the mp Glenn Thibeault to provincial politics . there is pretty much no reason for Sheehan to leave Ottawa and extremely unlikely he'd have any interest in the provincial job instead
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( horwath was also in the Soo , although no word on possible ndp candidates for the by election )

Horwath acts as bingo caller, pays visit to concerned hydro customer (2 photos)

Ontario NDP leader visits Sault, listens to homeowner's hydro woes; wants party's byelection candidate picked soon

Jan 5, 2017 6:57 PM by: Darren Taylor

Andrea Horwath, Ontario NDP leader, visits concerned hydro customer Charlene Lovelace while visiting Sault Ste. Marie, Jan. 5, 2017. Darren Taylor/SooToday

Charlene Lovelace received a high profile guest at her east end Sault Ste. Marie home Thursday.

Andrea Horwath, Ontario NDP leader, visited Lovelace to hear the homeowner’s concerns with rising hydro costs.

Chatting with Lovelace at her kitchen table, Horwath expressed sympathy for her family’s plight.

“People are doing everything they can to conserve energy, to reduce their consumption, changing their lifestyles, and still its getting more expensive, not less,” Horwath said.

“People are feeling guilty about it, people are feeling like they’re doing something wrong, but it’s not your fault…it’s the government’s fault,” the NDP leader told Lovelace.

“One of the things that we know for sure is that in jurisdictions where there’s more and more privatization of the electricity system (referring to the Wynne government’s sale of Hydro One), the bills go up and up,” Horwath said.

Horwath, who has been travelling across the province to listen to Ontarians’ concerns with hydro costs, thanked Lovelace for coming forward to tell her story.

“It doesn’t matter if you have two incomes, hydro is becoming such a struggle for many people,” Lovelace told reporters.

Lovelace said her household, which consists of herself, her husband and three children, is spending between $300 and $400 a month on hydro.

She has, in the past, had her electricity cut off by the PUC for failure to pay high hydro bills.

“The phone calls (from the PUC) came this year, before they just used to cut you off,” Lovelace said.

“I would like to see times of use change, I don’t think that’s practical. Sometimes you can’t wait until ‘off peak’ to do your laundry.”

Lovelace added she will not cut back on feeding her children in order to heat her home.

“A change of government would help, as well as not selling Hydro One, getting rid of time of use, taking HST off, anything to help people,” Lovelace said.

“No matter what we did (in terms of conserving electricity), it didn’t seem to be working,” Lovelace said, noting that her heating costs have gone down somewhat since she converted her home from electric baseboard heating to natural gas.

“First and foremost, the government has to stop the sell off of Hydro One (and) there should be a permanent removal of the HST on the bills, and that’s not happening,” Horwath told reporters.

“Right now we have a temporary rebate the government has implemented, but there needs to be a permanent removal.”

Horwath also criticized the Wynne government’s cap and trade program, which has caused price increases in oil and natural gas.

“This government didn’t put into place some fundamental fairness pieces to the cap and trade program…they didn’t look at northern Ontario and put some rebates or fairness measures in place for the north.”

Horwath did not go into specifics when asked what measures would be put in place to address cap and trade if the NDP forms the next provincial government in 2018, but said “everything will be on the table.”

Horwath told reporters that while in the Sault, she would also be meeting with local NDP supporters to plan for the coming byelection, in which Saultites will go to the polls to pick a successor to former Sault MPP David Orazietti.

“We want to get somebody up and running as soon as possible (to fly the NDP’s banner in the byelection).”

Horwath also planned to visit community activists and Royal Canadian Legion Branch 25 members Thursday, and attend a luncheon at the Marconi Club Friday.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/horwath-acts-as-bingo-caller-pays-visit-to-concerned-hydro-customer-2-photos-503959
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Orazietti was named a dean at Sault College according to this article )

Wynne to tweak cabinet to fill vacancy

Ontario premier is tinkering to fill the vacancy left by the departure of former community safety and corrections minister.

Premier Kathleen Wynne will make some changes to her cabinet on Thursday.

Premier Kathleen Wynne will make some changes to her cabinet on Thursday. (Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star) | Order this photo

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Wed., Jan. 11, 2017

Premier Kathleen Wynne is tinkering with her cabinet to fill the vacancy left by the surprise Christmas departure of former community safety and corrections Minister David Orazietti.

Wynne will unveil the minor changes Thursday morning at Queen’s Park at a swearing-in ceremony with Lieutenant Governor Elizabeth Dowdeswell.

Labour Minister Kevin Flynn had been serving as a part-time solicitor general and corrections minister for the past month.

“We made it clear that when David Orazietti resigned that there would be an interim situation — so, yes, we will be changing that in the new future,” the premier told reporters Tuesday at an event at the YMCA on Grosvenor St.

Asked if there would be any other ministers changing jobs, Wynne said: “Stay tuned.”

Orazietti, 48, resigned Dec. 16 in what he called “a very difficult decision, and one I do not make lightly” to spend more time with his family.

Earlier this week, the one-time teacher was named the dean of aviation, trades and technology, natural environment and business at Sault College in his hometown of Sault Ste. Marie.

His successor at corrections will inherit the fallout over the controversy swirling around Thunder Bay jail inmate Adam Capay, who was kept in solitary confinement for four years after being charged with killing a fellow prisoner.

Amid a national outcry, Capay was finally moved to a better cell with access to recreational facilities in October.

In his final act as minister, Orazietti hired 239 more prison staff and asked former federal corrections investigator Howard Sapers to conduct a 60-day review, which began last week.

Wynne, who must call a byelection in Sault Ste. Marie by June 30, may also have to make other changes to her executive council when appointing the new minister.

It will be the first shuffle since the Nov. 17 by-election victory in Ottawa-Vanier of Nathalie Des Rosiers.

Des Rosiers, former general counsel to the Canadian Civil Liberties Association and a dean of the University of Ottawa law school, has been touted by the Liberals as cabinet material

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/01/11/wynne-to-tweak-cabinet-to-fill-vacancy.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ross Romano announcement about his Ward 6 City Council seat

He'll continue as a city councillor until the byelection is called.
19 shares
Jan 9, 2017 6:05 PM by: David Helwig

RossRomano2014Election
Ward 6 Councillor Ross Romano will be the Progressive Conservative candidate in an upcoming provincial byelection.

Ward 6 Councillor Ross Romano issued the following announcement at tonight's meeting of City Council:

As many of you are likely aware, David Orazietti resigned effective December 31, 2016 from his role as the Member of Provincial Parliament for the City of Sault Ste. Marie.

Advertisement

Given that I was nominated as the local candidate for the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario on November 4 2016, I have been asked by a number of people within our community whether or not I will be resigning my seat as a Ward 6 city councillor.

I want to be very clear in stating that I will remain a councillor for Ward 6 in Sault Ste. Marie until the premier of Ontario, Kathleen Wynne, officially calls a byelection.

Once an election is called, I am required to take a leave of absence, without pay, but I will continue to fulfil all of my elected responsibilities as a councillor for Ward 6 in Sault Ste. Marie until that time

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/ross-romano-anouncment-about-his-ward-6-city-council-seat-506414
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a couple city councillors are considering running in the by election although nothing official yet )

Councillors ponder MPP run

By Elaine Della-Mattia, Sault Star

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:50:46 EST PM

It could turn out to be a council affair.

Two names of existing city councillors have already surfaced a number of times as potential candidates to wave party banners in a future Sault Ste. Marie byelection.

But both are cautious in their answers to questions from The Sault Star.

Ward 6 Coun. Joe Krmpotich admits to being approached about carrying the NDP banner in the expected provincial byelection while

Ward 3 Coun. Matthew Shoemaker hesitates before answering whether he's considering taking a run for the Liberals.

“I haven't been asked to run,” Shoemaker tells The Sault Star. “I am focusing on my council work.”

When pressed and asked if he's 'considered' seeking the nomination from the Sault Ste. Marie Liberal Association, he adds “I haven't been asked to run so I'm not actively considering it. If I'm asked, I will consider it, but in the meantime I will stay focused at the job at hand.”

Krmpotich, a steelworker union employee, said he has been approached to run.

“I'm thinking about it but that's about all I can say right now,” the second term councillors said.

Late last year, Ward 6 Coun. Ross Romano was chosen as the provincial Conservative candidate to run in the next election after rumours had emerged that David Orazietti was getting ready to resign his seat.

Similar comments were made Monday by Romano who said he is committed to his ward until an official byelection is called by Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne.

Romano and Shoemaker sit beside each other at the council table.

Shoemaker joked that Romano asked him Monday night as well whether he was going to run against him. Krmpotich sits across the council chambers from them.

Orazietti stepped down as Minister of Correctional Services in mid December and resigned his seat as the city's elected provincial member effective Dec. 31 citing the need to step down to spend more time with his family.

It was announced Monday that he has been chosen as one of several new deans at Sault College.

Wynne has six months to call a byelection for Sault Ste. Marie.

http://www.saultstar.com/2017/.....er-mpp-run
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Political science, business profs say Sault riding is up for grabs

Electricity will play huge role in Sault byelection, observers say
16 shares
Jan 17, 2017 8:00 AM by: Darren Taylor

Hydro One makes solid debut on Toronto stock market in biggest IPO in 15 years

No date has been set for a provincial byelection to fill the vacant Sault Ste. Marie riding seat after David Orazietti’s departure from politics.

And, two of the three major parties have not picked a candidate, but political observers have offered their comments on what is certain to be an interesting contest.

“I think it will be watched with interest by the rest of Ontario as a litmus test for the next general (provincial) election coming up in 18 months,” said Trevor Tchir, Algoma University assistant professor of law and politics.

Political parties tend to hold on to the Sault riding for several years, at least at the provincial level, Tchir noted.

“Incumbency does mean a fair bit in Sault Ste. Marie. You had the Progressive Conservatives win 11 elections in a row, then the NDP win five in row, then the Liberals won four in a row.”

“However, this is a byelection, there is no incumbent, so that’s one reason why this is anyone’s election in terms of the three traditional parties,” Tchir told SooToday.

“The Liberals, I think, face an uphill battle because (Premier Kathleen) Wynne is not doing well in the polls, particularly in the north.”

Tchir said he believes many Saultites will vote with discontent over the cost of electricity.

The community’s traditionally strong union presence gives the NDP a good chance to take the riding, Tchir said, but he added the Progressive Conservatives also have reason to be hopeful of capturing the Sault.

Ross Romano, a Ward 6 city councillor and lawyer, was selected to be the PC candidate for the Sault riding in November.

“They (the Conservatives) have been able to play on some of the discontent of Ontarians over some policies of the Wynne government, like cap and trade and the price of electricity,” Tchir said.

“They’ve been able to frame those as government money grabs and things that cost jobs and hurt the economy.”

“I think the PC’s are confident they can grab the seat and gain momentum heading into the next election. The leader (Patrick Brown) has been up north quite a lot and they’re the only one of the big three traditional parties to announce their candidate publicly, in Ross Romano.”

Romano and the local PC machine, to kick off the New Year, hosted leader Brown at a meet and greet at the Water Tower Inn, followed by a visit to Boniferro Mill Works.

And, Brown’s visit to the Sault was certainly not his first since he was elected party leader.

“You can tell they think they can win the riding because they’re investing the leader’s time here,” Tchir said.

Tchir emphasized he is not predicting, projecting or favouring any party or candidate heading into the byelection.

Tchir said the momentum will last for only a limited time for whichever party wins the riding, because time will pass between the byelection and the next general election in 2018.

“The interesting thing about byelections is…people in Sault Ste. Marie know they have the freedom to vote for a party in this byelection as a voice of protest against the existing government without asking themselves ‘is this the party I think should form the government (in 2018)?’”

“I don’t think the winner of this byelection necessarily wins the seat in the general election,” Tchir said.

Ian Lee, associate professor with Carleton University's Sprott School of Business in Ottawa, told SooToday he believes the Sault byelection, and the next general election in 2018, will be very much about the Wynne government’s handling of the cost of electricity in Ontario.

“I think it’ll be the central issue,” Lee told SooToday.

“Everybody uses electricity, everybody.”

“Because it is such an essential service…it explains why there has been such huge blowback from individual voters and from the business side.”

Statistics Canada, Lee said, has identified electricity as one of the three biggest costs for the average Ontario manufacturer, along with wages and the cost of goods.

“This issue is so incendiary, and that’s why I think its going to cost the Wynne government dearly,” Lee said.

“I don’t think the government really thought it through, they just bought into the whole excitement, hysteria I would even call it, around climate change and global warming.”

That, Lee said, led to expensive renewable energy projects.

“It was a catastrophic, strategic political mistake.”

“I think the Liberals are going to lose the next byelection (in Sault Ste. Marie)…it’ll be a protest vote,” Lee said.

“I’m predicting the Liberal government will lose the seat in the byelection, I’m not suggesting the Conservatives will win, I’m saying it’s up for grabs,” Lee said.

While not making any predictions or projections as to which party will win the next general election in 2018, Lee said “I think they (the Liberals) are carrying an enormous burden on their shoulders going into the next election because they’re going to try to explain to everybody how they essentially caused so much damage to everybody’s lives on such an important, essential service.”

Meanwhile, both the local Liberal and NDP organizations are coy about their plans.

Ward 3 city councillor Matthew Shoemaker, a Liberal supporter, told SooToday “I haven’t been asked to run and I’m focusing on my role on city council. If I’m asked to run, I’ll give it thought, but I’m certainly not going to jump into a race until I’ve considered how I can best serve the city and my family.”

Local NDP officials have told SooToday they hope for a concrete announcement soon regarding a nomination meeting for a candidate.

David Orazietti’s time as Sault MPP officially came to an end Dec. 31, after the long-serving Liberal MPP and cabinet minister announced his withdrawal from politics Dec. 16.

A byelection must be called to elect a new MPP for the Sault riding within six months.

The next Ontario general election is scheduled to be held on or before June 7, 2018.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/political-science-business-profs-say-sault-riding-is-up-for-grabs-512384
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( wynne is going to visit the Soo , although no word if she has any news about the by election date or potential candidates )

Wynne makes Sault Stop Thursday

By Craig Huckerby -
January 24, 2017

Premier Kathleen Wynne will visit Sault Ste. Marie on Thursday as part of a week long tour of the province’s post secondary institutions.

Wynne will talk with students and wants to hear from them surrounding changes coming to the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

The program aims at making education more accessible and includes free tuition for about 210,000 students from low income families.

There’s also speculation that Wynne may announce a by-election date for the riding. Sault Ste. Marie MPP David Orazietti resigned from his Cabinet position and as MPP at the end of December.

Wynne has also be plagued by high electricity costs caused by the Liberals green energy policies.

Wynne will also make stops in Toronto, London, Waterloo, Guelph and North Bay.

http://saultonline.com/2017/01.....-thursday/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of an ndp candidate in the Soo )

NDP to pick Krmpotich in race to replace David O.

The NDP leader is expected to attend the acclamation tomorrow
63 shares
about 23 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

20141201 Joe Krmpotich KA
Ward 6 Coun. Joe Krmpotich is pictured in this December, 2014 file photo. Kenneth Armstrong/SooToday

The Ontario NDP's provincial secretary has informed media that Ward 6 Coun. Joe Krmpotich will be acclaimed as the party's candidate in a yet-to-be called by-election to replace recently-retired Liberal MPP David Orazietti.

NDP leader Andrea Horwath is expected to attend the meeting, which is scheduled for Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.

Krmpotich's only known opponent so far is fellow Ward 6 Coun. Ross Romano, who has been selected by the Progressive Conservatives.

The full text of the media advisory/press release follows:

NDP to hold nomination meeting, acclaim candidate

Advertisement

SAULT STE. MARIE – Tomorrow evening, the Ontario NDP Riding Association in Sault Ste. Marie will hold a nomination meeting to select its representative for the upcoming provincial byelection in the riding.

“I am thrilled to announce that we are holding a nomination meeting wednesday night where Sault Ste. Marie City Councillor Joe Krmpotich will be acclaimed to run under the NDP banner in the upcoming byelection,” said Karla Webber-Gallagher, the Ontario NDP’s Provincial Secretary. “We are hitting the ground running in this riding, we have a great candidate who will be acclaimed tomorrow and a wonderful team already hard at work.”

Joe Krmpotich was born, raised, and educated in Sault Ste. Marie. As a parent, city councillor and former United Way chair, Joe cares passionately about the Sault, and is committed to building a better future for his community.

NDP Nomination Meeting

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

6:30 pm - Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and Sault Ste. Marie City Councillor Joe Krmpotich deliver remarks as Mr. Krmpotich accepts the NDP’s nomination

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/ndp-to-pick-krmpotich-in-race-to-replace-david-o-518599
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinion: The By-election

By Content Team -
January 25, 2017
0

Soon there will be a by-election held to fill the vacated position of MPP. As we get ready to vote for this replacement, the Sault must remember that we are in need of true leadership.

Someone that will help the future plans of this great city, and that has a vision for it’s success. Under the Liberal government of Ontario, we have been subjected to increased hydro bills, ridiculous debt, wasted funds, scandals and countless poor decisions. With Patrick Brown making a strong bid for the Premier of Ontario position, those mistakes and misfortunes should be alleviated. Ross Romano will be putting his best effort forward to work with Patrick Brown and to make those decisions that will give the Sault a helping hand.

Ross has brought Patrick Brown to the Sault numerous times and Mr. Brown is very aware of the situation, and the obstacles facing our Steel and Tube mills. The problem isn’t who is the more popular person, but who is the best candidate to represent us, a person working alone at Parliament in Toronto isn’t going to help us.

With the combined leadership of Patrick Brown and Ross Romano the Sault stands to be greatly represented, and we will have the full support of what looks to be the next Premier of Ontario in Brown.

So this next by-election and upcoming election for Ontario government, I ask that you cast your ballot for the person that will best support, represent, and help Sault Ste. Marie.
Lyle Bailey

http://saultonline.com/2017/01.....-election/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be empty council seats during byelection

By Elaine Della-Mattia, Sault Star

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 9:02:30 EST PM

City council could see some vacant seats – temporarily – in the coming months if past practice is observed.

While members of council seeking election for higher government offices are permitted to retain their seat on city council until they are officially elected into another office, general practice has been that the candidates take a leave of absence after the writ has dropped, said Malcolm White, deputy CAO and clerk of corporate services.

“Councillors are not required to do that but generally once an election or by-election is called and the writ drops, they voluntarily take a leave of absence and it has been a good practice to do so,” he said.

By-elections are usually held about 30 days after they are called.

If a city councillor successfully is elected to either provincial or federal office, they then become ineligible to hold municipal office and must resign, White said.

At that point, the seat will be declared vacant and council must decide how to fill that seat, either through an election or an appointment process.

http://www.saultstar.com/2017/.....byelection
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krmpotich to accept NDP Nomination

By Craig Huckerby -
January 24, 2017
1

Wednesday evening, the Ontario NDP Riding Association in Sault Ste. Marie will hold a nomination meeting to select its representative for the upcoming provincial byelection in the riding.

The byelection , that has still to be called by Premier Kathleen Wynne before June of this year is to replace Liberal MPP David Orazietti who resigned from the position last month.

“I am thrilled to announce that we are holding a nomination meeting Wednesday night where Sault Ste. Marie City Councillor Joe Krmpotich will be acclaimed to run under the NDP banner in the upcoming byelection,” said Karla Webber-Gallagher, the Ontario NDP’s Provincial Secretary. “We are hitting the ground running in this riding, we have a great candidate who will be acclaimed tomorrow and a wonderful team already hard at work.”

Joe Krmpotich was born, raised, and educated in Sault Ste. Marie. As a parent, city councillor and former United Way chair, Joe cares passionately about the Sault, and is committed to building a better future for his community.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath will also be in attendance to give remarks.

Krmpotich will run against fellow city councillor, Ross Ramano who is carrying the PC banner while the Liberals have yet to name a nomination, though it is speculated that city councillor Matt Shoemaker could accept the nomination.

http://saultonline.com/2017/01.....omination/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wynne on Essar Steel, Electricity and When Is The By-election?

By Craig Huckerby -
January 26, 2017

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne made a stop in Sault Ste. Marie to meet with Mayor Christain Provenzano on several issues including Essar Steel Algoma, Electricity prices and the by-election.

Wynne took questions from the media following the meeting and before moving on to Sault College for a funding announcement and to Algoma University to announce changes to the Ontario Student Assistance Program.

When asked about Essar Steel Algoma, currently under CCAA protection, the Premier did not rule out financial help. “Our concern is obviously for the families for the workers, we will do everything we can without overstepping our boundaries” Wynne remarked.

“I travel a lot in this province and Sault Ste. Marie is a very important part of this province” Wynne said when asked about the by-election call she needs to make for this riding to replace the vacant seat left by David Orazietti in December. Orazietti left politics and was later hired as dean of aviation with Sault College. Wynne has until June 30th to call the by-election.

“There will be a call for the by-election in due course ” The Premier acknowledged that Orazietti’s resignation took her a little by surprise. “We will have a good candidate for Sault Ste. Marie”

Moving on to electricity prices, a hot topic with the Liberal government’s energy policies, the Premier confirmed that more relief is on it’s way before the Spring budget. The Premier would not elaborate more on what kind of relief is coming for millions of Ontarians faced with crippling Hydro bills.

Premier Wynne Visits Algoma U

Today, Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, along with Minister Michael Gravelle and Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP) Han Dong, visited Algoma University’s campus to speak with students about the changes being implemented to the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) and to hear students’ concerns.

premier-wynne“We are very honoured to have had Premier Wynne, Minister Gravelle and MPP Han Dong visit us today and speak with our students,” said Acting President and Vice Chancellor, Dr. Celia Ross. “The changes coming this September to OSAP funding will be a big help and encouragement to students from low income families attending post-secondary. Premier Wynne’s visit was also a great opportunity for our students to have their opinions heard by the Ontario Government.”

Survivors of the residential school system joined students to show Premier Wynne the photo archives at the Shingwauk Residential Schools Centre. Wynne also talked to students in the Shingwauk Anishinaabe Students’ Association Lounge, and toured the newly expanded George Leach Centre. A group of students from the Ontario Native Welfare Assistance Association voiced their thoughts about wage disparity between First Nations communities and non-First Nations communities, the cost of food, poverty levels, hydro and electricity costs, transportation, child benefits, and mental illness.

“It was a great opportunity meeting with Premier Kathleen Wynne today,” said AJ Idris, President of the Algoma University Students’ Union (AUSU). “She was very open to students’ inputs and concerns. The student voice was heard and we look forward to seeing the positive changes she can bring to post-secondary education.”

http://saultonline.com/2017/01.....-election/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  

Jump to: