Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Jr. defeated at Waterloo PC nomination meeting

Local

by Jeff Pickel
Posted Apr 6, 2018 6:57 am EDT

Conservative MPP Vic Fedeli (left) with Mike Harris Jr. (middle) and former premier Mike Harris (right). Photo credit: Vic Fedeli.

We now know the son of former Premier Mike Harris will not be running for office in June.

Mike Harris Junior lost the nomination vote to run as the PC Candidate for the riding of Waterloo.

The winner is Dan Weber, a Waterloo based consultant.

Weber will take on incumbent Catherine Fife from the NDP Party and Liberal Dorthy McCabe.

http://www.570news.com/2018/04.....n-meeting/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another former federal cpc candidate has resurfaced provincially , this time in Hamilton )

Doug Ford loyalist running in HWAD to 'unite (Ontario PC) party members'

Samantha Craggs · CBC News · Posted: Apr 05, 2018 4:08 PM ET | Last Updated: April 5

Vincent Samuel says he's running in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas to unite local party members. (Samantha Craggs/CBC)

The Hamilton region co-ordinator of Doug Ford's Ontario PC leadership campaign is running in the controversial Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas nomination contest this month.

Vincent Samuel, who campaigned locally for Ford's winning campaign this year, has been approved as a nominee for HWAD.

"I am running to unite party members, and our riding to take on the irresponsible Wynne government as a part of Doug Ford's team," Samuel said in a media release Thursday.

"Let's move forward with a fresh start together."

Samuel's run is the latest development in a hotly contested riding that has included police investigations, court challenges, and now, doing the entire race over again.

Ben Levitt won the nomination last year. The party is holding another contest April 15 after allegations of impropriety, which Levitt says he supports. (Adam Lawson)

It started back in May, when Ben Levitt, Vikram Singh, Jeff Peller and Jobson Easow vied for the nomination. That meeting, where Levitt was declared winner, was "the biggest undemocratic sh-t show I've ever witnessed," Peller said then.

Peller and Singh both asked the party to review the nomination, which then-leader Patrick Brown didn't do. Then both asked Ontario courts to do a judicial review.

Peller dropped his court challenge in October. Singh stuck with it longer, but dropped his challenge earlier this year after the court ordered him to pay $180,000 in legal fees over a secretly recorded conversation.

Vikram Singh, a Hamilton lawyer, said in court documents that he won the combined total of votes of all but one table at the nomination meeting last May. (vsingh.ca)

Hamilton police are also investigating allegations of fraud and ballot box stuffing at the meeting last May. Levitt, meanwhile, asked the party to review the nomination earlier this year.

The new nomination will be April 15. Both Singh and Levitt have said they will run again. Peller said Thursday that he'll run "only if I was acclaimed."

Samuel ran for the federal Conservatives in 2015 and came a distant second to Liberal Filomena Tassi.

A long-time Conservative volunteer, Samuel also co-ordinated campaigns for Brown and federal leader Andrew Scheer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4606806
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas is a riding that in nearly every other circumstance shouldn't even be a consideration for being in play for the PCs.

Ted McMeekin is incredibility popular and a very effective MPP.
He has held the riding since 2000 via a by-election and that ridings (or the pieces of it) were mostly Liberal going back to the 70s.

If the PCs ground level polling is showing this riding is in play enough to garner this sort of bananas nomination process and interest its not great news for the OLP
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas is a riding that in nearly every other circumstance shouldn't even be a consideration for being in play for the PCs.

Ted McMeekin is incredibility popular and a very effective MPP.
He has held the riding since 2000 via a by-election and that ridings (or the pieces of it) were mostly Liberal going back to the 70s.

If the PCs ground level polling is showing this riding is in play enough to garner this sort of bananas nomination process and interest its not great news for the OLP

it would be an upset if any of the 4 urban Hamilton ridings went pc

have wondered why this one nomination generated so much attention , from reading the article it appears there was never any allegations of fraud against the winner "Ben Levitt " but rather one of the other losing candidates , but they decided to call for a new nomination anyways

and as you say is this really a riding that is poised to go pc anyways ? no one has been able to beat Ted Mcmeekin ( although i was surprised he didn't retire this year , as to why's he's still running at his age ? ) and this new more urban riding is even less favourable to the pc's than the old one was

but liberal polling numbers are so low , maybe it is in play ?
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tories pick Weber in Waterloo

News 05:56 PM by Greg Mercer  Waterloo Region Record|

WATERLOO — Waterloo's Tories believe they will be a bellwether riding in the June election — and have chosen Dan Weber over the son of a former premier in their bid to turn it blue again.

Weber won the Ontario PC Party nomination for Waterloo during a packed meeting Thursday night, in one of the largest turnouts the riding association has ever seen.

The riding association says more than 800 people crowded into the Inn of Waterloo, including former premier Mike Harris, filling up two conference rooms.

"It was standing room only. We could have used a third room," said Jeffrey Thomson, the president of the Waterloo PC riding association.

"This is a sure sign of how intensely Waterloo wants change."

Weber's task will be to unseat incumbent NDP MPP Catherine Fife, who has held the seat since 2012. She replaced the riding's longtime Tory MPP, Elizabeth Witmer, who represented the community for 22 years at Queen's Park.

Also vying for the Waterloo seat is Liberal candidate Dorothy McCabe, the former chief of staff to the mayor of Kitchener and a senior executive at the KidsAbility Centre.

The Tories' other choice in Waterloo was political newcomer Mike Harris Jr., the son of the former premier. He ran a well-funded, and well-connected campaign that helped draw a record turnout to the nomination meeting.

The riding association wouldn't release voting results, but said the race was competitive. Harris' family connections added some heft to his bid for the nomination, with prominent Tories throwing their support behind him.

"This was not a walk in the park," Thomson said. "Both candidates thought it was going to be right down to the wire ... the Harris name still has some good drawing power."

Weber, a 43-year-old married father who has worked at BlackBerry, Sun Life Financial and St. Jerome's University, has volunteered with Junior Achievement of the Waterloo Region, the KW Community Foundation, the St. Agnes Parish and Oktoberfest.

It's a been a busy few months campaigning for the nomination, and now it's only going to get busier, he said. He knows there's a lot of work to do if he hopes to unseat a popular incumbent MPP, and an incumbent Liberal government.

"We were up against some stiff competition in the nomination race, and we're up against some stiff competition in the upcoming election," Weber said.

"Now we have to convince the voters in Waterloo we're a better solution ... There's a lot of people suffering, and at the same time, the government is running deficits and debts that are spiralling out of control."

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8377827-tories-pick-weber-in-waterloo/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Kingsville councillor nominated as PC candidate in Essex

Essex PC candidate Chris Lewis
Essex PC candidate Chris Lewis. (Courtesy PC party)

CTV Windsor
Published Friday, April 6, 2018 4:03PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, April 6, 2018 9:25PM EDT

Political parties continue to line up candidates in local ridings for the upcoming June 7 provincial election.

Former Kingsville councillor and firefighter Chris Lewis has been nominated to represent the Progressive Conservative party in the riding of Essex.

Lewis says he'll be campaigning for lower taxes and to complete the widening of Highway 3.

https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/former-kingsville-councillor-nominated-as-pc-candidate-in-essex-1.3874702
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( more on the Hamilton west nomination , lawyer who had tried to sue pc's after he lost last time has been rejected and not allowed to run a second time, I personally don't think Vikram Singh would of had any chance to win the riding anyways vs Mckeekin , singh has no profile in the riding and a virtually unknown candidate )

Kevin Werner‏ @WerkHCN · 17h17 hours ago

Ont Tory Party has rejected Ham lawyer Vikram Singh's application to contest HWAD Tory nomination contest April 15. Party has approved Vincent Samuel, Doug Ford organizer, & fed HWAD Tory candidate for 2015
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps someone has this information;

I know Doug Ford was acclaimed in Etobicoke North for the PCs, but I can't find any references to if incumbent MPP Shafiq Qaadri will be running again in the next election?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Perhaps someone has this information;

I know Doug Ford was acclaimed in Etobicoke North for the PCs, but I can't find any references to if incumbent MPP Shafiq Qaadri will be running again in the next election?

I mentioned this in an early post maybe it was lost in the confusion but I was unable to verify who the liberals are running against Doug Ford in Etobicoke North

no one is listed on Wikipedia as the candidate , neither is anyone listed on the Ontario liberal website

I searched online and Shafiq Qaadri's twitter page has been oddly quiet and nothing from him confirming if he plans to run again or not

so at this point I don't really know whats going on there
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellows acclaimed PC candidate for St. Catharines riding

News 01:54 PM St. Catharines Standard|

Sandie Bellows will lead St. Catharines riding Progressive Conservatives into the June 7 provincial election.

The first-term St. Catharines city councillor and victim rights advocate was acclaimed Monday as the PC candidate for riding.

While accepting the nomination, Bellows told about 60 party faithful at a meeting at the Holiday Inn on Ontario Street that she has heard from "seniors, families and small business all struggling under Wynne's Liberal government and I've had enough."

"St. Catharines residents are looking for a new voice after years of costly choices by (Premier) Kathleen Wynne's Liberals," she said in a media release.

"We don't need frills and extravagant promises — we need accountability."

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8385089-bellows-acclaimed-pc-candidate-for-st-catharines-riding/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could you be more of a sacrificial lamb than to run against Doug Ford in this election? If I were the Liberal candidate, I would open a constituency office and leave it to the volunteers. I'd appear at the required debates, and I would make it fun. I would piss away the budget on hotdogs and good coffee, and just be a good sport about it all.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( nobody had even heard of who Tanya Granic Allen was before the leadership race , now comments she made as a private citizen before she even entered politics are being used against her )

Former PC leadership candidate Tanya Granic Allen under fire for online comments

Tanya Granic Allen
Ontario PC leadership candidate Tanya Granic Allen participates in a debate in Ottawa on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

Paola Loriggio, The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:35PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, April 10, 2018 5:10PM EDT

TORONTO -- Former Ontario Tory leadership hopeful Tanya Granic Allen, who is now seeking a party nomination ahead of a spring provincial election, is defending herself after coming under fire for comments made online years ago about Muslims and gay marriage.

Granic Allen, a parental rights and anti-abortion advocate, denied Tuesday that posts and tweets in which she suggests gay marriage shouldn't be legalized in the United Kingdom and says women should not wear burkas in public reflect Islamophobic or homophobic views.

"My concern...has always been about the freedom of religion, the freedom of conscience and freedom of expression and protecting those very important rights, which is why I opposed the banning of the niqab even though I personally take issue with it," she told The Canadian Press.

Her online comments, which date back to 2013 and 2014, were condemned by the Liberals and New Democrats, who said it would be up to Tory Leader Doug Ford to decide whether he wants someone with those beliefs as a candidate.

Ford, meanwhile, said only that the sentiments expressed by Granic Allen, who is seeking to run in the Toronto-area riding of Mississauga Centre, do not reflect his views or those of the party.

"Our base is growing, and we want all Ontarians to feel like they have a place in our party," he said in a statement.

Ford and Granic Allen were considered the more socially conservative candidates in the Tory leadership race, and Granic Allen was the only one to appear by Ford's side as he was declared the winner in March.

In a 2013 post discussing Quebec's controversial and ultimately unsuccessful proposal for a charter of values, Granic Allen described niqabs and burkas as "masks" that cover the face.

"I don't believe people should dress like ninjas when going for an afternoon stroll. I don't believe that people should dress like bank robbers when going to vote," she said. "My daughter loves wearing a spider-man mask, but I forbid her from wearing it out in public."

In another case, she linked to a news story about an attack on two teenage girls in Zanzibar, calling it "yet another reason not to vacation in a Muslim country."

Granic Allen said Tuesday that she was voicing concerns about travelling to countries in which there have been terrorist attacks but not advocating against visiting Muslim countries specifically.

"I didn't say people shouldn't (go), I just said it perhaps a reason not to," she said, adding that she wants to visit Egypt and see the pyramids.

She also denied that a tweet in which she wished the Queen would not allow gay marriage meant she opposed the practice. "Somebody wrote that gay marriage would force the Queen to break her oath and I simply said, 'Well the Queen should keep her oath,' because we should not lie," she said.

Another tweet where Granic Allen expressed shock that Malta had passed a law allowing gay marriage and adoption "wasn't anything pro or con," she said, simply an observation on how quickly the country had acted on the issue.

Granic Allen would not, however, clarify whether she supports gay marriage, saying it is a federal issue. "It has nothing to do with this election and I don't need to comment on that," she said.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said such comments are unacceptable.

"The Conservatives will have to decide...how they will go forward, but that kind of behaviour, that kind of language, that kind of attitude I believe has no place in our society," Wynne said.

Horwath said it was disappointing to see someone with views "that can be described as racist and homophobic" seeking public office.

"It's certainly not something that I would be condoning as leader of my party," she said.

Helen Kennedy, executive director of the LGBT rights advocacy group Egale, said Granic Allen's statements were "very alarming" but not surprising given some of the opinions Granic Allen voiced during the leadership campaign.

This kind of speech "does a huge amount of harm, not only to the LGBT community, obviously, but she's targeting other communities as well," she said.

Kennedy said that kind of "ignorant rhetoric" is exactly why children should be taught about inclusion and acceptance -- topics included in the sex-ed curriculum that Granic Allen vehemently opposes and has lobbied to repeal.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/former-pc-leadership-candidate-tanya-granic-allen-under-fire-for-online-comments-1.3879144
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 11, 2018 5:39 pm Updated: April 11, 2018 6:16 pm

Andrew Lawton throws his hat in race for London West PC nomination

980 CFPL
By Christian D’Avino
Reporter 980 CFPL

Former 980 CFPL talk show host Andrew Lawton is running for London West PC seat nomination.

There’s another contender looking for the Ontario PC party’s nomination in London West.

Former 980 CFPL talk show host Andrew Lawton made the announcement today in a Youtube video, announcing his entry to the PC race.

“I’ve been a long-time conservative activist, always trying to champion conservative governments, so it’s really a natural fit that I’m seeking the nomination in London West,” said Andrew Lawton.

“What I’m bringing to this race is a consistent, clear, conservative voice, as well as bringing real change to Ontario’s mental health plan,” he said.

Lawton has been vocal on numerous mental health issues in the past. He himself has struggled with depression and is a suicide survivor.

“It’s not just about throwing more money at our hospitals, but it’s actually about rethinking the way we deliver services,” Lawton said. “Whether that’s through reformed crisis centres, giving Ontarian’s access to therapy – these are just the many things that need to be changed.”

Lawton says in addition to mental health, there are other issues he feels aren’t getting enough attention.

“From my time as an on-air host, I can recall hearing numerous heartbreaking stories, where Londoners would have to choose between food and Hydro, or people having to shut down businesses due to labour reforms,” said Lawton. “These are causing economic and personal hardship, and I want to fix that in London.”

Lawton joins Thames Valley District School Board trustee Jake Skinner in the race for the nomination.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4138507/andrew-lawton-throws-his-hat-in-race-for-london-west-pc-nomination/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Party nominates candidate

Thursday, April 12, 2018 4:02:16 EDT PM

KIRKLAND LAKE - The Ontario PC Party has nominted Margaret Williams to represent Timiskaming-Cochrane in the upcoming election.

In a press release Pary Leader Doug Ford stated “I congratulate Margaret on her nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Timiskaming-Cochrane.

“Margaret is a great addition to our modern, inclusive, and pragmatic PC team. As a long-time advocate with MADD Canada, Margaret has committed over a decade of her life to community safety.

“Margaret has a passion for community service. Having worked in a legislative office, Margaret knows how to get real results for her community. This experience would serve her well as the representative for Timiskaming-Cochrane.

“After 15 years in power, life is harder with the Wynne Liberals. Ontario families are working harder, paying more, and getting less.

“In Timiskaming-Cochrane and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard for a better future. I look forward to working with Margaret as we share our positive message of change with Ontario families.”

http://www.northernnews.ca/201.....-candidate
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fourth PC contender joins Cambridge race

News 06:28 PM by Greg Mercer  Waterloo Region Record|

CAMBRIDGE — Candidates vying for the Ontario PC Party nomination in Cambridge have been thrown one final, last-minute curveball — the addition of a fourth contender just days before the vote is to be held.

Mona Bains, a former campaign manager for Tanya Khattra, has been approved by the PC party's provincial nomination committee, and will be on the ballot for Saturday's nomination meeting.

That vote, to be held at the Armenian Community Centre of Cambridge, should end months of political intrigue caused by speculation about parachute candidates dropping into the riding and allegations of interference from the PC party headquarters.

Bains joins Sunny Attwal, Bert Laranjo and Belinda Karahalios in what's become a heated battle to represent the Tories in the June election. The winner will try to unseat Liberal MPP Kathryn McGarry, and return the riding back to the PCs.

Karahalios, who was approved to run two weeks ago, has called for an audit of the riding's 2,500 memberships, believing some are suspicious. The Tories have declined to reopen the issue.

Bains, who did not respond to interview requests, is believed to have significant PC membership support — including hundreds she helped sign up while working on the campaign of Khattra, a Calgary-based dentist.

Khattra's campaign was eventually derailed by revelations she wasn't living in the province, in contravention of Ontario's election rules.

The single mother of two kids, Bains runs an events and entertainment company, and is on the executive of the PC riding association in Cambridge.

Bains, who made a point of declaring she lives in Cambridge in a campaign where residency has been an issue, said she's running because she's concerned about government spending — including free medical prescriptions for youth.

"As a business owner and single mom, I can no longer stand by and watch the Wynne Liberals crush small businesses. Increased taxes, raising costs, and the red tape regulations have gotten out of hand," she said, in a Facebook post.

"I believe a strong business community is essential to support the social programs that allow everyone to reach their full potential."

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8391158-fourth-pc-contender-joins-cambridge-race/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  

Jump to: