Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCs select Barrie-Innisfil candidate

Andrea Khanjin cites health care, small business and job creation as priorities
392 shares
about 20 hours ago by: Raymond Bowe

Andrea Khanjin has been chosen as the Progressive Conservative Party's candidate in the Barrie-Innisfil riding for the upcoming provincial election. Raymond Bowe/BarrieToday

Born in Moscow before the fall of the Soviet Union, Andrea Khanjin fled the communist state as a child with her grandparents.

Chosen Thursday as the Progressive Conservative Party’s candidate in the new Barrie-Innisfil provincial riding, Khanjin said those early memories galvanized in her what kind of political system she did not want to be participant to.

“We tended to be anything but communism, really, because we fled that world,” she said during an interview at Cafe Cappuccino in downtown Barrie.

“I was born in Moscow during a very tumultuous time,” Khanjin added. “My grandparents really hated what was happening under the communist regime, so my grandmother wanted to get out as soon as she could.”

They fled to Cuba where they met a local man who said Barrie would be a nice place to settle. They lived with him for a few years before saving up enough money to rent their own place and eventually purchase a home.

“It was really my grandparents striving for a better life,” Khanjin said. “I was very fortunate they took me with them.”

Her grandfather is still alive, but her grandmother died a year ago. Khanjin’s father remains in Russia and her mother moved here about seven years ago.

Khanjin remembers landing in Gander, NL, where they claimed refugee status. Her first tastes of freedom, literally, were Froot Loops and McDonald’s ketchup packets within a few hours of each other.

Khanjin, now 30, won the nomination last week to become the PC candidate in the Barrie-Innisfil riding for this summer’s provincial election, set for June 7.

Khanjin has been involved with several elections behind the scenes in Barrie, but she is entering new ground.

“(Innisfil) is more of a new territory for me, but I’ve made a lot of inroads during the nomination and will continue to do so during the campaign,” she said.

Her partner, Kevin Royal, came back to Canada from his job in South Korea to help with her campaign and she said he plans to return to Canada in the coming months.

Winning the nomination was a big step in her career.

“I’m really motivated by the outpouring of support we’ve got from conservatives all around the riding,” she said. “I’ve met a lot of conservatives, so now it’s reaching out to the broader net of the Barrie-Innisfil riding.”

Khanjin said she is keen on making improvements in the riding.

“I’ve always wanted to make change happen, so for me that change has always been behind the scenes,” she said. “I’ve come to the realization that you can do all the good work you can behind the scenes, but it really comes down to that person you elect on the front lines, who really puts their name forward and is accountable for the decisions; someone who is in it for the rights reasons and not the wrong reasons.

"It has to be selfless.”

Khanjin said politicians have to remain focused on their riding. “When you don’t do that, you’re totally out of touch with common sense and reality,” she said.

Khanjin grew up in south-end Barrie and said she has an interest in politics since she was 12 years old.

“Whether it was student council at King Edward or student council at Barrie Collegiate, a lot of my friends are still here,” she said. “And even those who have moved away, their parents are still here, so I have my roots, my base and it’s been my home for more than 25 years.”

One of her first political contacts was former PC Party leader Patrick Brown, who was a Barrie city councillor at the time and working on his second municipal campaign. She also worked with former MPP Joe Tascona and subsequent PC candidates provincially.

After graduating from Barrie Central, she secured a scholarship at the University of Ottawa where she studied political science. During the summer, she worked at Brown’s constituency office when he was an MP, as well as with Jason Kenney and Joe Oliver.

From the local turmoil surrounding Brown to the leadership race atop the PC ranks, Khanjin said none of that has mattered to people at their homes.

“I thought it would be more of a question at the door … but the real thing is people just want change and want the Liberals out,” she said.

Khanjin said her main priorities on the campaign trail will be health care, small business and job creation.

“Our health-care system sometimes fails us when we need it most,” she said, adding the creation of a health hub in Innisfil is “going to be a big issue.”

Secondly, “small business is the backbone of our area,” Khanjin said, noting concerns surrounding “labour changes,” such as the minimum-wage increase, have been raised by employers she has spoken to.

Thirdly, job creation is paramount.

“You can’t have quality jobs without education,” Khanjin said. “We need to ensure that when people go to Georgian College we’re able to retain that brain power so people can stay in their community to work. I don’t think we do a good enough job with that. The college does a great job … but we need to find a way to retain that talent.”

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/pcs-select-barrie-innisfil-candidate-855494
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Uniting' Conservatives the goal of acclaimed Ottawa West-Nepean candidate Jeremy Roberts

James Bagnall James Bagnall
More from James Bagnall

Published on: March 6, 2018 | Last Updated: March 6, 2018 9:09 PM EST

Jeremy Roberts, who emerged over the weekend as the Ontario Progressive Conservatives' standard bearer for Ottawa West-Nepean, will kick off his election campaign on Wednesday. Supplied

After this winter’s weirdness, the Ontario progressive conservative party would like nothing better than to return to a semblance of normality.

Events surrounding the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean suggest the party may be moving in this direction. On Wednesday, the Conservatives’ current standard bearer, Jeremy Roberts, intends to kick off his campaign to take the riding currently represented by Bob Chiarelli, a Liberal.

Roberts secured the PC nomination on Saturday night, when he was the only one to contest it. However, Roberts’ journey reveals much about the party’s inner tensions under former leader Patrick Brown, who stepped down earlier this year following media reports about his relations with two young women.

Roberts, a 26 year-old policy wonk, missed securing the Ottawa West-Nepean nomination last May by 15 votes. The winner of that contest, Karma Macgregor, was a close ally of Brown, and Macgregor’s daughter, Tamara, was a senior member of Brown’s staff when he was leader of the opposition at Queen’s Park.

However, Macgregor’s victory was marred by allegations from the Conservative riding association that membership lists contained dozens of odd entries such as people with Toronto phone numbers. Brown personally confirmed Macgregor’s nomination anyway.

That nomination was challenged last month, when the provincial party ordered a new vote.

Rob Elliott, an executive member of the PC party who resigned his position following Brown’s move, is expected to attending Roberts’ campaign launch event at the Villa Marconi long-term health care facility. Also attending will be Vic Fedeli, interim PC party leader and leader of the opposition.

Fedeli is also expected to speaking at the event, underlining the importance of what is expected to be a swing riding in the June 7 provincial election. Ottawa West-Nepean has been Liberal since 2003, coinciding with that party’s tenure in power. However, the riding voted Conservative by an impressive margin in 1999, when Garry Guzzo prevailed in a fight against a split opposition comprising New Democratic Party candidate Alex Cullen and Liberal Rick Chiarelli.

“We will be talking about the need to unite conservatives,” Roberts said Tuesday.

Macgregor did not respond to a request for an interview

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....my-roberts
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comuzzi to seek PC nomination in Thunder Bay-Atikokan

After two attempts at a federal seat, Thunder Bay businesswoman says she will seek to enter the provincial political fray.
20 shares
about 8 hours ago by: Leith Dunick

376045_58864573
Moe Comuzzi is a two-time federal nominee for the Conservatives in Thunder Bay-Rainy River. (Matt Vis, tbnewswatch.com)

THUNDER BAY – Moe Comuzzi has made it a two-candidate race for the Conservatives in Thunder Bay-Atikokan.

The former two-time federal nominee on Sunday announced she would be challenging riding association president Brandon Postuma for the right to try to dethrone Liberal Bill Mauro, who has held the seat for 15 years, in the coming provincial election.

The Thunder Bay businesswoman said her experience in her hometown gives her the knowledge needed to help grow the local economy and produce jobs in Northern Ontario.

“Thunder Bay-Atikokan has tremendous opportunities if the government makes the right policy choices in the coming years,” she said in a release issued late Sunday night.

“We must continue moving forward with supporting forestry and mining in the Thunder Bay area as well as manufacturing industries like Bombardier and Resolute Forest Products. Support to small business is critical at this time and I can be a strong voice at Queen’s Park in this regard.

The choice on June 7 is clear, she added, emphasizing her support for the Progressive Conservative’s newly elected leader.

“Doug Ford is the right leader for this province. Doug Ford is a talented and strong individual and the only party leader who can be trusted to represent the interests and concerns of the citizens of this riding,” Comuzzi said, adding she’s spoken to Ford and been promised he’ll work to get projects like the Ring of Fire off the drawing table and to resolve Toronto issues regarding Bombardier and its troubled street-car contract.

“I would be honoured to serve as the Progressive Party of Ontario and help win this riding in the upcoming election,” Comuzzi said.

The Conservatives have not elected an MPP in the riding since 1985, when Mickey Hennessey won his final term in the former Fort William riding. The party has not finished higher than third in the riding since 1999.

Running federally in Thunder Bay-Rainy River, Comuzzi finished second in 2011 and third in 2015.

Postuma announced late last week that he would enter the race.

Neither the Green Party nor the NDP have yet named a candidate in the riding.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/comuzzi-to-seek-pc-nomination-in-thunder-bay-atikokan-860091
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Postuma to Seek PC Nomination in Thunder Bay Atikokan

Posted 9 March 2018 by NetNewsLedger in Featured

Brandon Postuma is seeking the Progressive Conservative nomination for Thunder Bay Atikokan

THUNDER BAY – POLITICS – Thunder Bay Atikokan Progressive Conservative riding association President Brandon Postuma announced today he will seek the PC nomination for The Thunder Bay Atikokan Riding.

“I am flying to Toronto in the morning to attend the PC leadership convention and felt that I wanted to announce my candidacy today to indicate my support for whomever the new leader is. I have declared my support publicly for Christine Elliot, but I will work with whoever becomes the new leader. This is all about defeating the Wynne Liberals and we cannot lose sight of that goal.”

Brandon is 31 years old married to Natalie and has three children Bentley, Aubrey, and baby Charlotte. Brandon runs the Kakabeka Depot which provides farm, garden, and veterinary supplies to local farmers. He was instrumental in attracting a pharmacy and clinic that serves Kakabeka and surrounding area. Brandon holds an Honors degree from Ottawa University and an undergraduate degree from Lakehead University.

“Natalie and I are raising our children on a small farm in Conmee Township. Farm life is teaching our children the hard work and great rewards through the raising of our horses, chickens, pigs, and a donkey Benji,” states Postuma.

Brandon is a member of the PC Party Agriculture Policy Development Board with MPP Toby Barrett, member of the economic development committee for Oliver-Paipoonge, was instrumental in the Kakabeka Village revitalization, The Kakabeka Depot, The Horse Hut, IDA Pharmacy and Clinic, The Eddy Restaurant and other community programs and events.

Long-serving Riding President Brandon Postuma, is part of a family that has been strong Conservation supporters for many years.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2.....-atikokan/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New leader Doug Ford plans to review all Ontario PC nominations to ensure they are legitimate

There were 'a lot of indiscretions,' Ford said in an interview with the National Post, raising the possibility of more nominations being overturned

Tom Blackwell
Tom Blackwell

March 13, 2018
6:08 PM EDT

Filed under
Canadian Politics

TORONTO — Doug Ford signalled Tuesday he is placing a firm hand on Ontario’s fractious Progressive Conservative party as its new leader, vowing to put all of the party’s nominations under a microscope to ensure they were aboveboard.

About a dozen elections of Tory candidates have been appealed in the past year or so amid allegations of voter fraud and ballot stuffing, and the party has already overturned two of them.

In an interview with the National Post, Ford said he’s seen evidence himself of “a lot of indiscretions” and wants a broad examination of the issue.

“We’re going to review every single nomination,” he said. “There were a lot of ones that weren’t transparent. That’s disturbing, to say the least.”

During his campaign for the Conservative leadership — which Ford won by a hair’s breadth on Saturday — he spoke of meeting would-be candidates in some ridings who had sold hundreds of new Tory memberships but were told by party officials that they could not run to be the candidate.

As well as the disputed nominations, former leader Patrick Brown appointed candidates himself in about 60 constituencies, and refused to hear appeals of those that were clouded by controversy. Many Tories believed Brown’s top-down approach violated the party’s constitution, prompting a “Take back our party” campaign by Cambridge lawyer Jim Karahalios.

“There were a lot of indiscretions in a lot of nominations,” Ford said Tuesday. “I spoke to people who were disqualified the day before (the nomination election), and that’s not being transparent.”

He said any decision on whether to open up a riding to a new election would be made with the Tory caucus.

A Ford adviser said the new leader believes people should be able to win nominations on their own, without the leader’s help. Otherwise, “they’re probably going to be a terrible candidate.”

In the brief interview between appointments Tuesday, Ford also shed some light on his philosophy of government, saying he would strive to shrink its size and cost if he wins the June 7 election.

I'm going to make sure we drive more efficiencies with the money we have

-
“I don’t believe in government being in our lives and dictating how we should live,” he said. “Let the market dictate … instead of letting the government run things.”

But Ford remained fuzzy on exactly how he would carry out his promise to trim spending by four per cent — about $5.6 billion — without a single public servant losing his or her job.

Ford said he would employ technology and the Toyota-inspired “Lean” system to find efficiencies, although Lean has already been used in Ontario health care for close to a decade, with mixed results.

He also talked about getting better prices for supplies by issuing government-wide tenders for everything from pencils to cars, and eliminating sole-source contracts he claimed are widespread.

Ford seemed to suggest that health care would be spared from spending cuts, however.

“I’m not going to reduce it (health spending); I’m going to make sure we drive more efficiencies with the money we have,” he said. “We’re going to max that out and make sure we utilize it a lot smarter than what we’re doing right now.”

http://nationalpost.com/news/p.....legitimate
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ontario PCs overturn nominations, bar former leader Patrick Brown from running as candidate

Karen Howlett

Published March 15, 2018

Updated 14 minutes ago

Patrick Brown has been barred from running as a candidate for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party in the upcoming provincial election.

The PC Party announced on Thursday evening that Mr. Brown will not be an eligible candidate. The party also announced that new nomination races will be held in three ridings and that the results will be set aside in a fourth one plagued by allegations of ballot-box stuffing.

The announcements came five days after former Toronto councillor Doug Ford succeeded Mr. Brown as leader of the party. Mr. Ford had pledged to reopen many of the nomination races that ended in controversy.

The provincial nomination committee unanimously decided at a meeting on Thursday to bar Mr. Brown from running and to hold the new nomination races.

“I am pleased to learn of the decisions made by the provincial nomination committee,” Mr. Ford said in a statement.

No reason was given for rejecting the candidacy of Mr. Brown, who was planning on running for the Tories in the new riding of Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte. But the decision follows a tumultuous period for the PC Party after Mr. Brown’s resignation as leader in January amid allegations of sexual misconduct with two women. He has denied the allegations but he was also kicked out of the Tory caucus in February, leaving him sitting as an independent member in the legislature.

“After much thought, I will not be running in the upcoming provincial election,” Mr. Brown tweeted. One of the nominations that has been overturned is in the riding of Brampton North, where paralegal Jass Johal was acclaimed as the candidate in November, 2016.

The Globe and Mail has reported that Mr. Brown was in talks with Mr. Johal to sell him Aeroplan miles and a stake in a restaurant for $375,000. The talks took place just five months before Mr. Johal was acclaimed in Brampton North.

The Globe also reported that $375,000 was deposited into Mr. Brown’s personal bank account in July, 2016, a month after Mr. Johal signed an affidavit regarding the proposed deal involving the Aeroplan miles and shares in Hooligans, a restaurant in Barrie partly owned by Mr. Brown. That same month, Mr. Brown purchased a waterfront home on Lake Simcoe’s Shanty Bay for $2.3-million.

Mr. Brown has told The Globe that the deal with Mr. Johal never went through and that his family helped with the down payment on his house. Ontario’s integrity watchdog is conducting an investigation into Mr. Brown’s financial affairs, including the house purchase. Lisa Thompson, a Tory MPP and member of the provincial nomination committee, cited the continuing investigation as the reason for overturning the nomination in Brampton North.

The other ridings where new nominations will be held are Newmarket-Aurora and Mississauga Centre.

Of the 56 competitive nomination races the PC Party held during Mr. Brown’s leadership, nearly one in four ended in controversy. The tally excludes 14 ridings where candidates were acclaimed.

Two other nominations in Ottawa West-Nepean and Scarborough Centre were earlier overturned by interim leader Vic Fedeli.

The party announced on Thursday that it is setting aside the results in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas because of the “irregularities in the nomination meeting.”

Vikram Singh, a lawyer and runner-up in the nomination race last May, sued the PC Party, alleging that widespread ballot-box stuffing torpedoed his bid. But he announced on Jan. 24 in a joint statement with Mr. Brown that he was withdrawing his lawsuit. However, there is a continuing criminal investigation into allegations of fraud at the nomination meeting

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-pcs-overturn-nominations-bar-former-leader-patrick-brown-from/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( word of a surprising possible candidate from Toronto )

Giorgio Mammoliti to run for Ontario PC nomination in Brampton Centre

Mammoliti was previously elected to Ontario Legislature in 1990 as NDP MPP for Yorkview

CBC News Posted: Mar 20, 2018 4:42 PM ET| Last Updated: Mar 20, 2018 7:06 PM ET

Toronto Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti says he's received countless messages of support and encouragement to consider running as mayor of Toronto, returning to Queen's Park, or even moving to Parliament Hill.

Toronto city Coun. Giorgio Mammoliti announced Tuesday he is running to be the Ontario Progressive Conservative candidate in Brampton Centre for the upcoming provincial election.

Mammoliti confirmed his intentions on am640 radio

"I don't like what's happening on [the] provincial level," he said. "It seems that everybody just wants to spend the taxpayer's dollars like no tomorrow."

Mammoliti also said he has a long history supporting the Ford family and Doug Ford — the recently elected leader of the Ontario PC party — had asked him "to be by his side at Queen's Park."

Mammoliti was an ally of Ford as a fellow Toronto city councillor. He also backed Ford's late brother, Rob Ford, who was Toronto mayor from 2010 to 2014.

​"I'm going back to where I bought my first house," Mammoliti said, adding he wants to work for "the people that have been waiting for some change in Brampton."

In a statement issued earlier on Tuesday, the Ward 7 councillor said he had received countless messages of support and encouragement to consider running for mayor of Toronto, return to Queen's Park, or even a move to Parliament Hill.

Mammoliti was first elected to the Ontario Legislature in 1990 as the NDP MPP for Yorkview.

During his time at Queen's Park, Mammoliti served as Parliamentary Assistant to the Solicitor General and Minister of Correctional Services; Minister of Health; and the Minister Responsible for the Provincial Anti-drug Strategy.

Mammoliti then moved to municipal politics. He was elected as a councillor for the newly amalgamated City of Toronto in 1997.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4584425
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wonder why he wants to run in Brampton and not Toronto where he is better known ? )

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti to run for Ontario PC party in June election

Outspoken and often controversial politician aims to make the jump back to Queen’s Park.

At city hall, Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti had been an ally of former mayor Rob Ford, Doug Ford’s brother.

BERNARD WEIL / TORSTAR FILE PHOTO

At city hall, Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti had been an ally of former mayor Rob Ford, Doug Ford’s brother.

By: Staff Torstar News Service Published on Tue Mar 20 2018

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti will seek the nomination to run for the Ontario Progressive Conservative party in Brampton.

Mammoliti, an outspoken and frequently controversial politician who counts few friends on council after holding elected office for a quarter century, will try to make the jump back to Queen’s Park after he was first elected as an NDP MPP in the old Yorkview riding.

“I think I’m better served being who I am in changing a much larger kind of government to make sure that the smaller governments are doing the right things,” said Mammoliti, who made the announcement Tuesday live on AM640 with reporters crowded into the Queens Quay studio.

Newly-elected PC party leader Doug Ford, who served alongside Mammoliti as a one-term councillor, asked him to consider running for mayor of Toronto or as an MPP, Mammoliti said.

“I’ve been so loyal to the Fords that I’m going to go down there and I’m going to do my best.”

Mammoliti said he did not discuss a potential cabinet seat with Ford if the party won a majority.

Brampton Centre is a new riding in this provincial election. The Liberals have yet to nominate a candidate. Harjit Jaswal, who came second to now federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh in the 2014 Bramlea-Gore-Malton provincial race, is also seeking the Brampton Centre seat for the PC party.

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti went live on am640 on March 20 to announce he will be seeking the nomination for the Ontario PC party in the new riding of Brampton Centre.

Jennifer Pagliaro / TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE

Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti went live on am640 on March 20 to announce he will be seeking the nomination for the Ontario PC party in the new riding of Brampton Centre.

At city hall, Mammoliti had been an ally of former mayor Rob Ford, Doug’s brother, during a chaotic term and an enemy of Mayor John Tory. He has sat in the coveted council chamber chair directly next to that of the mayor for eight years, causing a scene this term when it was suggested deputy mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong might want to sit next to Tory.

Mammoliti says he plans to keep his council seat, but not collect his salary, and will run again for council if he loses provincially. He would not say whether he would run for mayor or as a councillor if he returns to the municipal election.

Saying he currently lives in his Toronto ward, he plans to move to Brampton if he wins the seat.

Mammoliti became a North York councillor in 1995 and was elected to the amalgamated city every election since.

His career has been characterized by controversy.

As an MPP, Mammoliti billed taxpayers more than $14,000 for nearly 50,000 kilometres in mileage for travelling to and from Queen’s Park and within his riding, 1991 to 1992 expense reports revealed.

At the time Richard Brennan, then writing for the Windsor Star, reported that at 29 cents a kilometre — and assuming Mammoliti drove at an average 40 km/h — the then-MPP would have been driving nearly three-and-half-hours every day of the year.

As a councillor, Mammoliti has often been in trouble with the city watchdog monitoring council conduct and has frequently missed meetings.

In 2013, the CBC revealed Mammoliti and another councillor, David Shiner, were getting rent breaks on apartments owned by developers that do business with the city. Mammoliti called the story inaccurate. Neither councillor faced penalties.

In 2014, the councillor was docked 90 days’ pay after then-integrity commissioner Janet Leiper found he had improperly accepted $80,000 from a cash fundraiser thrown for him by his own staff.

The punishment was the most council was allowed to enforce under city rules. Mammoliti lost $26,000 in pay, resulting in more than $50,000 profit from the illegal fundraiser. An investigation by Toronto Police’s financial crimes unit did not result in charges. A reporter has repeatedly asked police spokesperson Mark Pugash for an update and has not received one.

Last year, the Star reported the auditor general halted a $12-million land deal in Mammoliti’s ward after concerns were brought to her by Councillor John Filion that the sale price had been inflated. Toronto Parking Authority executives involved in the cancelled deal have been suspended with pay, and the Ontario Provincial Police is now investigating.

Mammoliti, who was a member of the Toronto Parking Authority board before it was taken over by senior city staff during an internal investigation, had been pushing for the creation of a giant flagpole and park on the plot of land in question. The auditor general, in a report, wrote the councillor was involved in the recent land deal deliberations.

No charges have been laid, and investigations are ongoing.

Mammoliti refused to comment on the ongoing investigations Tuesday and suggested integrity commissioner investigations unfairly target “Conservative” councillors.

As both an MPP and councillor, Mammoliti has taken many controversial positions. In 1994, speaking in the legislature, he went on a homophobic rant against the rights of same-sex couples by stoking fears they are AIDS-spreading sexual deviants. In 1999, he famously went shirtless in the council chamber to protest a nude beach on Toronto Island, then in 2012 suggested the island should become a red light district for brothels and prostitution. He removed basketball nets from a low-income area in his ward in 2008, claiming the outdoor court had become a draw for drug dealers. In 2014, he called Parkdale a “pedophile district.”

In a lighthearted moment during the council debate on a bid to host the 2008 Olympics, Mammoliti gave one of his most memorable speeches. He encouraged his colleagues, appearing to read from notes on his desk in from of him, to “stop riding the miserable, old donkey of doom and gloom... and get on the strong, muscular thoroughbred horse of hope.”

Mammoliti is frequently criticized for being absent from council. In 2017, he missed half of all recorded votes in the chamber, according to a Star analysis.

The councillor told the Star it didn’t really matter if he was there or not.

“Vote or no vote, it makes no difference under this administration,” he said then in an email, asserting his time was “better placed working directly with residents.”

A 2014 profile found voters in Mammoliti’s North York ward were often unaware of his antics down at city hall, citing park improvements and other ward fixes that appeared just before the election.

He won with 46 per cent of the vote.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/t.....party.html
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These well-known politicians may seek PC Party nod in Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte

Over the weekend, hospital official Jeff Kerk announced plans to pursue the riding's Liberal Party nomination

News 10:30 AM by Chris Simon  , Frank Matys  Barrie Advance|

Garfield Dunlop is the first to declare. It sounds like he won’t be the last.

The former Simcoe North MPP has announced his intention to run for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party nomination in Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte — the candidacy eyed, until March 15, by former party leader Patrick Brown.

Brown announced via Twitter last week that he would not run in June. His announcement came around the same time the party released a statement from president Jag Badwal, which noted the party's provincial nominations committee had met earlier in the day and unanimously decided to prohibit Brown from running for the PCs.

On March 16, Simcoe North PC candidate Jill Dunlop announced via Twitter that her father, Garfield, would seek the nomination in Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte.

“Proud of this man for stepping up,” she said in the post. “Experienced and hard-working.”

Both former Barrie MPP and city councillor Rod Jackson and ex-Simcoe County warden Tony Guergis have told Simcoe.com they are "strongly considering" a bid.

Riding association vice-president Scott Macpherson expects a significant amount of interest in the candidacy.

He’s heard rumours Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte MP Alex Nuttall may run provincially.

“It’s definitely a possibility,” Macpherson said, adding Nuttall has a young family and might be attracted by a commute to Queen’s Park in Toronto, instead of Parliament Hill in Ottawa. “Perhaps someone else will come forward, too — maybe a municipal councillor or a prominent businessperson who is interested.”

Macpherson said Brown will likely seek a position in the private sector now.

A new PC candidate should be named in about a month, Macpherson said.

Keenan Aylwin is the only candidate in the riding who has been officially endorsed by a political party. He’ll run for the Greens in June.

Meanwhile, the Liberal Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte provincial riding association is in the process of nominating a candidate, after hosting its founding meeting recently.

In a news release issued over the weekend, Jeff Kerk, the director of diagnostic services at Georgian Bay General and Orillia Soldiers’ Memorial hospitals, announced his intention to seek the Liberal nomination.

Brown and Nuttall could not be reached for comment.

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/8340620-these-well-known-politicians-may-seek-pc-party-nod-in-barrie-springwater-oro-medonte/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellows wants to enter provincial race

News 05:48 PM by Karena Walter  St. Catharines Standard|

QMI_Sandie_Bellows

Sandie Bellows - Special to The St. Catharines Standard

City councillor Sandie Bellows is throwing her hat into the ring to be the PC party candidate for St. Catharines riding.

Bellows made the announcement that she'll run for the nomination via news release Thursday.

She wrote St. Catharines residents are looking for a new voice after "years of costly choices by Kathleen Wynne's Liberals."

"As a city councillor, mother of Spencer and Colton, and dedicated community volunteer, I know that St. Catharines families are struggling to make ends meet," she said in a statement.

"I believe St. Catharines needs change and that the Ontario PC party will make life more affordable for everyone."

St. Catharines is the only riding of Niagara's four that has no nominated candidates from the three major parties for the fast-approaching June election.

Colin Ryrie is the nominated candidate running for the Green Party of Ontario.

Current Liberal MPP Jim Bradley, who's won 11 provincial elections in a row, surpassed Farquhar Oliver last week as the second-longest serving MPP in Queen Park's history.

He told The Standard in June that he was planning to run again in the upcoming election.

Liberal riding association president Ronald Cuthbert said the association normally doesn't hold a nomination meeting until closer to the writ, likely about the end of April, but he's not searching for any other candidates.

The St. Catharines NDP riding association said in a Facebook message that it has an active election planning committee which is going through the candidate search process. Once that process is complete it will share the results as it rolls out the campaign.

The nomination meeting date for the PC's riding association has not yet been scheduled. Bellows is awaiting her interview date with the PC provincial nomination committee and said Thursday she is not aware of anyone else having yet submitted applications to run as nominees.

Bellows is an outspoken victims rights advocate who is serving her first term on city council for Grantham ward.

The PC riding candidate in the 2014 provincial election was also a city councillor, Mat Siscoe of St. Patrick's ward.

Other Niagara riding races are starting to take shape. Nominated candidates include PC April Jeffs and NDP Jeff Burch in Niagara Centre and incumbent PC Sam Oosterhoff in newly named Niagara West.

Niagara Falls has incumbent NDP Wayne Gates up against PC Chuck McShane, Liberal Dean Demizio and Green party's Karen Fraser

https://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/news-story/8345930-bellows-wants-to-enter-provincial-race/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Ford to be acclaimed Etobicoke North Ontario PC Candidate

Event to be held Wednesday at Toronto Congress Centre

CBC News · Posted: Mar 27, 2018 7:38 PM ET | Last Updated: March 27

Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford will be acclaimed as the Ontario PC candidate for Etobicoke North Wednesday. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)

Ontario PC Leader Doug Ford will be acclaimed as the party's candidate for Etobicoke North Wednesday at an event in the riding.

Ford was elected leader of the Ontario PC party on March 10, after a 44-day leadership race sparked by the resignation of former leader Patrick Brown in January.

Wednesday's event will be held at Toronto Congress Centre in Etobicoke at 6 p.m.

Ford has a history with the area, having served as Toronto city councillor for Ward 2, Etobicoke North, from 2010 to 2014, while his late brother Rob Ford was mayor.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4595998
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( in other news , Christine Elliott does plan to run but not in her normal riding of Whitby but in York region )

Christine Elliott to seek Ontario PC nomination in Newmarket-Aurora

Elliott, a former MPP, lost leadership to Doug Ford last month

CBC News · Posted: Apr 02, 2018 7:24 PM ET | Last Updated: April 2

Candidate Christine Elliott attends the Ontario Progressive Conservative Leadership announcement in Markham, Ont., on Saturday, March 10, 2018. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)

Former MPP and Progressive Conservative leadership candidate Christine Elliott will seek the PC nomination in Newmarket-Aurora for the upcoming provincial election.

Elliott announced her intentions in a statement released Monday evening.

"I have never been more convinced of just how much Ontario needs us. I would be privileged to join our slate of candidates," Elliott said in the statement.

"To all residents of Newmarket-Aurora, you can count on me to do everything I can to fight for you at Queen's Park. I hope I can earn your trust."

Last month, Elliott, a former MPP, lost the Ontario PC leadership race to Doug Ford, despite winning more votes and a narrow majority of ridings. It was the third time Elliott ran to lead the party and was defeated.

When she conceded defeat, Elliott said in a statement: "Ontario needs a Progressive Conservative government to finally defeat Kathleen Wynne. I look forward to running as a candidate."

The provincial election is June 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.4602491
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Postuma Thunder Bay Atikokan Progressive Conservative Candidate

Posted 4 April 2018 by James Murray in Featured

The Progressive Conservatives will nominate Brandon Postuma as their candidate

THUNDER BAY – The Thunder Bay Atikokan Progressive Conservatives now have their candidate.

Brandon Postuma will be acclaimed the PC candidate at a nomination meeting for the Progressive Conservative candidate for the Provincial election June 7th, that will take place this Thursday starting at 6:00 pm at the Da Vinci Centre 345 South Waterloo St., Thunder Bay.

This formerly contested nomination has changed from a race between two contestants Moe Comuzzi and Brandon Postuma, with Comuzzi dropping out of the race over the Easter weekend.

This left the race uncontested and means Postuma will be acclaimed.

Members are welcome to attend the meeting staring at 6:00pm to hear the Riding’s plans for the upcoming campaign.

Brandon is thrity-one-years old and is married to his wife Natalie. They have three children Bentley, Aubrey, and baby Charlotte.

Brandon runs the Kakabeka Depot which provides farm, garden and veterinary supplies to local farmers. He was instrumental in attracting a pharmacy and clinic that serves Kakabeka and surrounding area. Brandon holds an Honors degree from Ottawa University and an undergraduate degree from Lakehead University.

“Natalie and I are raising our children on a small farm in Conmee Township. Farm life is teaching our children the hard work and great rewards through the raising of our horses, chickens, pigs, and a donkey Benji. “

Brandon is a member of the PC Party Agriculture Policy Development Board with MPP Toby Barrett, member of the economic development committee for Oliver-Paipoonge, was instrumental in the Kakabeka Village revitalization, The Kakabeka Depot, The Horse Hut, IDA Pharmacy and Clinic, The Eddy Restaurant and other community programs and events.

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2.....candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( this article seems to alleged the problems that plagued the pc nominaitons when brown was leader , centred around 1 man a Snover Dhillon who had been hired to sign up new members for candidates and did so using questionable means )

How a convicted fraudster ended up at the centre of Ontario Conservatives' nomination controversies

Snover Dhillon hired himself out to would-be Conservative candidates to sign up members who could vote for them, but the elections often ended in chaos

Snover Dhillon.Facebook

Tom Blackwell

April 4, 2018
5:00 PM EDT

Filed under
News
〉 Canada

Over the last seven years, the Ontario legal system has kept Snover Dhillon busy.

The Toronto-area businessman was convicted of fraud in two different jurisdictions during a single month of 2011, one prosecution netting him a 41-day jail term. Among his crimes, Dhillon passed himself off as a credit counselor, then siphoned $10,000 from his clients’ accounts using their own debit cards and ATMs. Regulatory agencies have twice fined him for acting as a real estate or mortgage broker without a licence, and have warned the public to steer clear of his business.

But in the backrooms of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party, Dhillon was until recently a sought-after commodity — and an intriguing face of the problems the party’s new bosses have vowed to eradicate.

In a Facebook post late last month, Dhillon announced he was quitting the party and the board of the Oakville-North Burlington riding association — in protest, he said, over how what he called the “coup crew” had toppled former leader Patrick Brown and canceled the nominations of the ex-leader’s “supporting candidates.”

“I appeal to all Patrick Brown supporters who love and respect him to revoke their memberships and to NOT vote for PC,” he wrote.

A Brown ally, Dhillon played a controversial role in a number of the candidate-nomination votes that have resulted in accusations of voter fraud, ballot stuffing and other irregularities.

A leaked email exchange among top party officials suggests Dhillon was paid $22,000 by a man vying to be the candidate in a Hamilton riding. Sources say the money was meant to buy memberships, so those people — or their substitutes — could then vote for the potential nominee. While paying somebody to recruit voters and bring them to the polls is neither illegal nor against party rules, that nomination is now under police investigation after one of the losing candidates complained to police, who have said only that they are looking for possible “criminality” in the election.

Four Ontario PC sources — who would only speak on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity surrounding internal party matters — told the National Post that Dhillon provided similar services in other ridings as well. They said they personally observed him at different nomination elections, sometimes ushering in busloads of newly minted party members to cast ballots under controversial circumstances.

Dhillon with new Conservative leader Doug Ford, who has overturned several contentious nominations, citing “indiscretions.” Handout

For those trying to win a party nomination, it is crucial to sign up members willing to vote for them. But in some cases, candidates allegedly bought memberships themselves, new Tories voted outside their own ridings or individuals cast ballots using other people’s identities.
See AlsoThe Patrick Brown saga: A timeline of the most bizarre month in the history of Ontario politics
Ontario’s integrity watchdog to investigate ousted Tory leader Patrick Brown

Conservative activist John Mykytyshyn said he attended about 20 of the party’s nominations and saw Dhillon working at most of those.

“Patrick Brown introduced him to dozens of candidates across the province and money was earned (by Dhillon),” said a source close to the nominations process. “I’ve never seen so much money involved in local riding nominations than in the last year.”

In one Mississauga riding where he surfaced, scores of people were signed up as members at seemingly bogus addresses, including a vacant lot, a house under construction and unoccupied homes up for sale.

Things happened here that I’ve never seen in all my years of volunteering

“It left me feeling disheartened and sad and horrified, really, about the state our party was in,” said losing candidate Loree Beniuk. “I’ve been a lifelong Conservative, my great grandfather was a Conservative MPP … Things happened here that I’ve never seen in all my years of volunteering.”

The party began to expose and clean up what its interim leader called “rot” soon after Brown resigned in late January, and quickly overturned two of the contentious nominations. Another four nominations were reversed last month, after Doug Ford, the PCs’ newly elected leader, vowed to review all the candidate selections, citing “a lot of indiscretions.” Meanwhile, Brown himself was barred from running as a candidate.

Neither the former leader nor Dhillon, who also uses the first names Sam and Snawar, could be reached for comment.

Dhillon’s devotion to Brown seems to stem from a much different, though overlapping, facet of his life: an organization called the Indo-Canadian Peace Alliance that purported to forge ties with the country of his birth.

Snover Dhillon (in red sweater second from left) at the Ottawa West-Nepean nomination meeting last May. Karma Macgregor won by 15 votes, but the result was later overturned over alleged irregularities, including more ballots than registered voters. Dhillon was seen ushering voters into the meeting from buses. Handout

Parliamentary records indicate that as a federal MP from Barrie, Brown traveled to the sub-continent in 2010 at the expense of Dhillon’s group. It appears they visited India together on at least one other occasion, too. In January, 2016, Brown tweeted a photo of a billboard in Punjab state that welcomed him to India, with a number linked to Dhillon listed at the bottom.

Dhillon floated around the fringes of federal Conservative politics, appearing in photos with cabinet ministers and, in March 2011, occupying a choice seat behind then Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s family at a Tory rally. As news emerged of criminal charges against him, however, the federal party banned Dhillon, while Brown said he would no longer let him work as a volunteer.

His legal troubles, never before fully reported, came to a head in July 2011. As well as the ATM-fraud conviction, confirmed recently by Const. Harinder Sohi of Peel Regional Police, he was found guilty of fraud in Toronto, having posed as a real estate broker and taken $14,000 in cash from a man he met at a coffee shop.

Dhillon was also fined $7,000 and $15,000 respectively by real-estate and financial regulators in Ontario, the last penalty meted out in 2016.

But as Brown moved from federal to provincial politics in 2015, the man banned by federal Tories now began appearing at Ontario Conservative functions. Last year, Dhillon emerged as an especially contentious figure — in particular, over one spring weekend.

On Saturday, May 6, he was at the Ottawa West-Nepean nomination meeting, ushering inside freshly enrolled party members who would arrive by bus or van, says a prominent PC source in the riding.

Dhillon took them directly to a special ballot box where then party executive-director Bob Stanley was stationed, two sources say. Scrutineers for candidate Jeremy Roberts highlighted numerous cases where voters’ identification did not seem to comply with party rules.

Snover Dhillon, right, with Karma Macgregor and an unidentified man at the Ontario Conservatives’ Ottawa West-Nepean nomination meeting last May. Macgregor won by 15 votes, but the result was later overturned over alleged irregularities. Handout

Roberts’ supporters say Stanley, who was asked to step down after Brown resigned in late January, cleared all of them to vote. Stanley said in an interview that’s not true, and does not recall dealing with Dhillon that day.

There were other fishy aspects to the nomination: virtually all the residents of a single Ottawa apartment building were signed up as members, over 50 of them with Toronto phone numbers. Counting revealed that 28 more ballots were cast than voters registered.

Karma Macgregor, whose daughter Tamara was Brown’s deputy chief of staff and a former girlfriend, was declared the winner — by 15 votes.

Snover has the money. Patrick will need to tell him he needs to do both things

When Brown cut short appeals of the result by directly appointing the candidate, the entire riding-association executive quit in protest.

The day after the Ottawa event, the party chose a candidate for Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas constituency amid a similarly tumultuous scene, with allegations that memberships had been bought by candidates and ballots stuffed.

Dhillon was there, too, meeting voters for candidate Jeff Peller who arrived on long-distance-style coaches, recalls Mykytyshyn.

Peller still lost, and then sued the party. In an exchange of emails made public recently by the QP Briefing website, top officials discuss compensating Peller, focusing particularly on reimbursing $22,000 he had paid Dhillon.

Both Mike Richmond, the party’s counsel at the time, and Walied Soliman, Brown’s campaign chair, suggested the party leader tell Dhillon to repay and apologize to Peller.

“Snover has the money. Patrick will need to tell him he needs to do both things,” said Soliman.

Despite all that, party sources said the nomination was won by a clean candidate, Ben Levitt. Even so, Ford has now set aside his nomination, as police continue to investigate.

A month later, Dhillon showed up at the nomination election for Mississauga-Lakeshore, again meeting people as they arrived, said a Conservative source who saw him.

Dhillon’s role there is unclear, but two weeks before the election, Beniuk received a list of newly enrolled memberships full of suspicious entries. A partial examination revealed more than 200 — almost all with Sikh surnames — who appeared clearly invalid. Among them were 10 people listed as living at a vacant lot, and a similar number at an address where a house was under construction. Two contacted by the Post said they had no idea they were PC members, and didn’t live in the riding.

Beniuk’s team complained, and were told those 200 had been struck from the list, but she says she has no way of knowing if that actually happened, or if anyone voted under those names. The ballots were shredded shortly after the vote. The party refused to conduct a broader investigation, Beniuk says, though her volunteers also submitted 12 pages of names of people who seemed to be on the membership lists of multiple ridings.

He said (Dhillon) was a friend and a good guy, and Snover could go wherever he wanted

-
Rudy Cuzzetto, a Ford Motors executive, longtime party activist and uncle of Genevieve Gualtieri, Brown’s current girlfriend, captured the nomination by about 200 votes. Cuzzetto said Dhillon never worked for him, and that he recruited almost 1,000 members using his “generations deep” contacts in the riding.

“There is absolutely no evidence that a single person voted on June 20 who was not fully entitled to as a member in good standing in Mississauga-Lakeshore,” he said.

Stanley suggested that many of the nomination controversies were actually a result of losing candidates who simply “wouldn’t accept the results.”

Regardless, Dhillon was spotted again a week later, on June 28, this time at the Oakville-riding nomination election, bringing in “hordes” of voters, says a Conservative source.

Mykytyshyn was also there and says he had “tense words” with Jag Badwal, now the party’s president and then a vice president, suggesting that Dhillon should not have been admitted.

Badwal could not be reached for comment. But Mykytyshyn says the PC executive member told him not to worry.

“He said (Dhillon) was a friend and a good guy, and Snover could go wherever he wanted.”

http://nationalpost.com/news/c.....troversies
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A missing part of this story is that Dhillon is a Sikh! He probably was useful for his ability to stuff nomination meetings. These are the realities of candidate nominations, at the local riding level. It isn't just Sikhs that do this. I knew a young guy in Toronto who was paid, on occasion, to get a turnout of Croats out to such meetings -- for a fee.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  

Jump to: