Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( not an official nomination but news of a new potential candidate in Glengary Prescott Russell , a liberal stronghold provincially but had been a federal cpc riding for a while )

Amanda Simard, who is seeking to be nominated as GPR's Ontario PC candidate, at her seat on Russell Township council. (Photo Facebook)

Politics Top Stories

Russell councillor steps into provincial politics

 October 19, 2016 Theresa Ketterling Embrun 329 Views  0 Comment

A Russell Township councillor is seeking the nomination to be the Ontario Progressive Conservative candidate for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.

Amanda Simard announced her candidacy on October 19. The Embrun native has a law degree from the University of Ottawa, works as an executive assistant to a senator, and has previously worked as a policy adviser for a senator. As a municipal councillor in Russell elected in 2014, she is the chair of the Public Library Board and Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee. She’s also deputy chair of the Planning Advisory Committee.

In her candidacy announcement, Simard said she is concerned about “unaffordable hydro rates,” debt, and cuts to healthcare. She also said because she has always lived in the area, she understands its “real challenges” and “great potential for positive change.”

“I hope to instill faith in the political process by running a positive and powerful campaign, engaging with residents, and ensuring that our voice is heard clearly and our concerns addressed at Queen’s Park,” she said in a statement. She pointed to a recent effort by the Embrun community to keep its Service Ontario location open. “We worked hard for that result, and I appreciated the support of a superb group of dedicated volunteers, though the future of the office remains uncertain,” she said in her statement. “Leadership is not about waiting to see which way the political wind blows – leadership is about listening to your constituents and delivering results.”

Simard joins Derek Duval of Vankleek Hill, who announced his intention to seek the nomination in June.
Simard’s CV, which was included in her candidacy announcement, is here:

https://www.thereview.ca/2016/10/19/russell-councillor-steps-into-provincial-politics/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former Conservative MPs vying for Ontario PC nominations Saturday

Truppe, Kramp would join Paul Calandra on PC ticket

Ainslie Cruickshank

Friday, November 25th, 2016

Two more former Conservative MPs are hoping to join Paul Calandra on the Ontario Progressive Conservative ticket in 2018.

Both Susan Truppe — former parliamentary secretary for the Status of Women and MP for London North Centre — and Daryl Kramp — former MP for Prince Edward-Hastings — are contenders in PC nomination battles on Saturday.

Former Conservative MP and finance minister Joe Oliver and ex-Conservative MP Bob Dechert also have announced they are seeking PC nominations.

Truppe, who announced her candidacy for the nomination earlier this month, is gunning to be the party’s candidate in London North Centre.

She served as the MP for the riding between 2011 and 2015, when she lost the seat to Liberal Peter Fragiskatos.

Kramp, meanwhile, is hoping to become the PC candidate for Hastings-Lennox and Addington.

As a federal MP, Kramp represented Prince Edward-Hastings from 2004 to 2015. In 2015 he ran in the new Hastings-Lennox and Addington riding, but lost to Liberal Mike Bossio.

“I’m very, very disappointed and frustrated and I guess I could almost say angry at what I’ve see happening to this one proud province, it deserves better and quite frankly I felt I could make a difference,” Kramp said, explaining why he decided to take a run at provincial politics.

Kramp is facing off against Bancroft city councilor Tracy McGibbon and John O’Donnell, the former chief of Hastings-Quinte Paramedic Services, for the PC nomination.

While he said his opponents are “good people,” the former MP said he feels he’s the best option for the riding.

Earlier this month, Paul Calandra, former parliamentary secretary to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, won the party’s nomination for Markham Stouffville.

Calandra was first elected to Parliament in 2008 and went on to represent the riding of Oak Ridges-Markham for two terms. In 2015 he ran in the new Markham-Stouffville riding but was defeated by Jane Philpott, the current federal health minister.

Calandra cited the state of Ontario’s economy as one of the reasons he decided to jump into provincial politics.

“I don’t want to sound doomy and gloomy because Ontario is an extraordinarily rich place and it has extraordinary advantages that no other place in the country has,” he said.

“The potential needs to be unleashed and people need to feel encouraged again.”

With Ontario’s election more than a year away, Calandra said his short-term focus would be on building a team, fundraising and meeting with businesses, community organizations and local leaders.

“Everybody has opinions right now and you’ve got to listen,” he said.

While the PC’s chances in 2018 are “very good,” the campaign and policies the party puts forward still matter, he said.

“You have to earn the support of people.”

While concerns have been raised about the impact divisions with social conservatives might have on Patrick Brown’s PCs, Calandra said he thinks the issue has been “overblown.”

“Ultimately we all want the same thing. We just want a better Ontario,” he said.

Calandra described himself as a fiscal conservative, with a primary focus on jobs, economic growth, balanced budgets and lower taxes, although he noted he’s also a Catholic who goes to church.

So-con issues like repealing the new sex-education curriculum won’t be a priority for him, he said.

“If I’m 100 per cent honest with you, when it first came out I had some huge reservations,” he said.

Now, he said, he has nothing but good things to say about how his kids’ teachers are handling it.

As he embarks on a new political journey, Calandra said he isn’t trying to re-brand himself after developing a reputation for delivering frustrating non-answers in question period in the House of Commons.

When he took on the role of parliamentary secretary, both he and Harper knew it would be a challenge handling the Senate expense scandal, he said.

The prime minister told him they needed to make sure that they didn’t say anything in the House of Commons that would jeopardize the RCMP investigation or the ability of people under investigation to defend themselves, he added.

“When I look back I don’t think anybody can say that we broke those two very, very important rules,” he said.

“In that way I look at it as a success even though I completely understand people’s frustrations over it.”

Calandra, did however, stand by his apology for one particular non-answer to a question posed by NDP Leader Tom Mulcair on Canada’s mission in Iraq. He also praised Mulcair for his efforts as opposition leader.

“What he in particular did during that time period was honestly second to none. I have never seen in my lifetime an opposition leader who did such an effective job,” he said.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/25.....-saturday/
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another former cpc mp , has secured a provincial nomination )

Kramp secures candidacy

Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:13:50 EST PM

A familiar face will be leading the charge in local Progressive Conservative Party members' bid for a seat in the 2018 election.

On Saturday, former MP Daryl Kramp secured his party's nomination as the candidate for the Hastings-Lennox and Addington riding.

"I had the great honour of working alongside Daryl in Ottawa, and saw first-hand his hard-work and dedication to his constituents,” stated party leader MPP Patrick Brown in a release Saturday evening. “Daryl will be a very strong communicator for the Ontario PC Party's message of change for a better Ontario with the voters in Hastings-Lennox and Addington. I am very excited to have his experience on our team.”

After being the local face of the federal government for more than a decade, Kramp lost his seat to current MP Mike Bossio in the 2015 election.

Last month Kramp threw his hat into the ring to be the provincial candidate for the Progressive Conservative party in the newly formed riding that encompasses a good part of his old stomping grounds.

In an October interview with The Intelligencer Kramp said his decision to return to politics was reached after attending a local roundtable discussing skyrocketing Ontario hydro rates.

“When I saw the impact on business, it’s deeply concerning to me,” Kramp said at the time, adding he heard similar stories from droves of people at an annual plowing match about how rising rates were sucking financial resources from other aspects of their daily life. “The stories I was hearing were heartbreaking. How did we ever get into such a terrible state of mismanagement on this file?”

"After 13 years in power, life is harder under the Liberals,” stated Brown in the release. “Skyrocketing hydro rates are unaffordable for Ontario families and businesses.

“It's time for a change in Ontario. In Hastings-Lennox and Addington and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard to earn the trust of voters.”

Counc. Tracy McGibbon of Bancroft, and retired Hastings-Quinte paramedic chief, John O'Donnell were also in contention for the spot.

— with files from Jason Miller

http://www.intelligencer.ca/20.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the Glengarry Prescott Russell nomination meeting is happening on Dec 3 )

Amanda Simard (left) and Derek Duval (right) are seeking to be nominated to represent Glengarry-Prescott-Russell as candidates for the PC party in the next provincial election. (Photos: Amanda Simard, Facebook/Yanick Villeneuve)

Politics Top Stories

PC party members will choose next local candidate on December 3

 November 25, 2016 Theresa Ketterling Embrun, Vankleek Hill 86 Views  0 Comment

Local members of the Ontario Progressive Conservative party will soon decide who will represent Glengarry-Prescott-Russell in the next provincial election.

On December 3, party members will vote at two nomination meetings, one in Embrun and the other in Vankleek Hill. Voting is only open to those who were party members by November 18.

Derek Duval, a project manager at Montebello Packaging in Hawkesbury, is one of those seeking the nomination. The Vankleek Hill resident told The Review in June that affordable living and encouraging small businesses would be among his priorities. In a letter announcing the nomination meeting, Duval said people are “tired of” the current Liberal government. “I have worked in the farm fields, on the construction sites and in the manufacturing facilities across this riding. I have helped to build parks, to run a drug awareness and prevention program, and to raise money for countless charities. I have run my own small business. Our household, like yours, is dealing with mounting hydro costs, and it is not easy,” said the letter.

Also hoping to be nominated is Amanda Simard, a councillor for Russell Township. The Embrun native has a law degree from the University of Ottawa and works as an executive assistant to a senator. In her candidacy announcement, Simard also said she is concerned about hydro rates, as well as debt and cuts to healthcare. “I hope to instill faith in the political process by running a positive and powerful campaign, engaging with residents, and ensuring that our voice is heard clearly and our concerns addressed at Queen’s Park,” she said.

The Embrun meeting will be held at the Embrun Community Centre (8 Blais Street in Embrun) on December 3 between 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The Vankleek Hill event will be held later that same day at the Vankleek Hill Fairgrounds (92 Main Street West) beginning at 2 p.m. To vote, you must register by 3:30 p.m.

https://www.thereview.ca/2016/11/25/pc-party-members-will-choose-next-gpr-candidate-on-december-3/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(former mpp Jane McKenna was also nominated in Burlington , although I can't find any articles about it , one of the risks about having early nominations is the lack of press at such an early stage )

Jane McKenna ‏@janemckenna8 · Nov 26  Burlington, Ontario

"Very proud to accept the PC nomination in Burlington. Thanks to the supporters and volunteers for believing in me.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Conservative MP Daryl Kramp joins Brown's 2018 team

Burlington PCs choose former MPP Jane McKenna as candidate

Ainslie Cruickshank

Monday, November 28th, 2016

Ex-Conservative MP Daryl Kramp will join his former colleague Paul Calandra on the Ontario Progressive Conservative ticket in 2018 after winning his nomination battle in Hastings-Lennox and Addington this weekend.

“I had the great honour of working alongside Daryl in Ottawa, and saw first-hand his hard work and dedication to his constituents,” said PC Leader Patrick Brown in a statement. Brown is also a former Conservative MP.

“Daryl will be a very strong communicator for the Ontario PC Party’s message of change for a better Ontario with the voters in Hastings-Lennox and Addington. I am very excited to have his experience on our team,” Brown said.

Kramp, who served as the MP for Prince Edward-Hastings between 2004 and 2015, won the nomination over Bancroft city councilor Tracy McGibbon and John O’Donnell, the former chief of Hastings-Quinte Paramedic Services.

Kramp, who ran in the federal riding of Hastings-Lennox and Addington in 2015 and lost to Liberal Mike Bossio, said he decided to enter provincial politics because he believes Ontario deserves better and he feels he could make a difference.

“I’m very, very disappointed and frustrated, and I guess I could say angry, at what I’ve seen happening,” he told iPolitics.

Earlier this month, Calandra, the former parliamentary secretary to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, won the party’s nomination for Markham-Stouffville.

Former Finance Minister Joe Oliver and ex-Conservative MPs Bob Dechert and Susan Truppe also have announced their intentions to seek nominations to run for the Ontario PCs in 2018.

Former Ontario MPP Jane McKenna won another PC nomination Saturday in Burlington. She previously represented the riding from 2011 to 2014, when she lost the election to Liberal MPP and Tourism, Culture and Sport Minister Eleanor McMahon.

“Through her experience as an elected representative, a business owner and her involvement in local charities such as My Community Matters, I am confident that Jane will be a strong representative for the residents of Burlington,” Brown said following her win.

On Tuesday, Robin Martin, who served as Oliver’s deputy campaign manager in 2015, is expected to be acclaimed as the PC candidate for Eglinton-Lawrence. Martin was also the PCs’ 2014 candidate in the riding, which has been represented by Liberal Mike Colle since 1999.

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/28/ex-conservative-mp-daryl-kramp-joins-browns-2018-team/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I don't know what just went down in this riding but sounds like a candidate was disqualified and the other is going to be acclaimed instead )

PC aspirant claims he was blocked by Brown over poutine video

Duval claims party official accused him of ‘filming someone eating a hamster’

Kelsey Johnson

Thursday, December 1st, 2016

What do poutine, hamsters and the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario have in common? Just ask recently disqualified party candidate Derek Duval.

In a Facebook post late Wednesday, Duval, who was seeking the party nomination for the riding of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, said he was disqualified because party officials mistook a greasy pile of poutine shown being eaten off a hockey stick in a video … for a hamster. The eater, he said, wasn’t even him.

His disqualification, Duval alleges, was done “under the direction of (party leader) Patrick Brown … so that they can acclaim the leader’s chosen candidate, Amanda Simard.” Simard is a Franco-Ontarian and a local councillor for Russell Township. Her LinkedIn profile says she is a lawyer who works as a staffer on Parliament Hill, is active in municipal government and has been the recipient of numerous scholarships and legal prizes.

The video in question, Duval said, was filmed “many years ago” during a charity hockey tournament involving teams from across Ontario and Quebec.

The “mockumentary,” he said, “used footage from the games, the dressing rooms and the after party. The shenanigans were all in good fun for a tournament held on St. Patrick’s Day weekend.”

But PC party officials, he said, were not amused and used the video to justify his disqualification — despite the fact that he’s sold 1,200 party memberships.

“During my call with the party I was grilled by party employee Garfield Dunlop, no stranger to controversy these days, who accused me of filming someone eating a hamster off of a hockey stick,” the Facebook post reads.

“I informed Mr. Dunlop that the guy was eating poutine off of a hockey stick. Those facts didn’t matter. They made their decision long before they even saw the video,” Duval wrote.

The hamster skirmish, while memorable, is not the first time Brown has drawn unwelcome media attention over his party’s nomination process. Brown has said he is committed to ensuring the Conservative party embraces diversity as it works to expand its base in the lead-up to the 2018 provincial election.

The Ontario Conservatives decided to drop Michael Nowak from the nomination race in Carleton riding in late October after he referred to rival nomination candidate Goldie Ghamari as “Muslim trash.”

That nomination race also saw the party reject as a candidate Jay Tysick, a former senior aide to Ottawa City Councillor Rick Chiarelli and now a managing partner of Faraday Partners. Tysick told iPolitics he had not been given a reason for the party’s rejection of his nomination bid, despite asking for one.

In an interview Thursday, Tysick said the video clearly shows poutine. “It’s not a hamster.” Nor, is Duval in the video. “I don’t know how that qualifies for what they [the party] did.”

It’s not helping the party’s image, either, Tysick said. “In each of these situations they are causing problems for themselves…they’re undermining the democratic principals which are everyone gets a vote and everyone can run.”

On Wednesday, Duval claimed Simard benefitted from preferential treatment by the party.

“Local party members informed me that the party’s regional organizer and a member of the Leader’s office were personally making calls on behalf of Ms. Simard and bullying them to supporting her,” he alleged on Facebook.

Nominations, he continued, weren’t supposed to start until January 2017. But party officials, he said, opted for a “snap nomination” with only one voting station — an hour away from Duval’s home and in Simard’s hometown.

The party eventually added a second voting station, the post notes, after “tremendous pressure by local members of the party, including elected officials at the municipal level.”

Tysick said Thursday similar tactics were employed during his nomination, including the date being changed twice and organizers booking a venue that was too small to house voters. There’s a pattern, he said.

“I think it’s province wide…this is probably the fifth time where this has occurred where they just cancel candidates for no reason or little reason.

“It’s pretty clear they’ve got an idea of who they want in each spot. When it looks like they might not get that outcome they just change the candidates.”

iPolitics has reached out to Brown’s office for comment.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/01.....ine-video/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( anew candidate was nominated in Orleans )

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Cameron Montgomery

December 04, 2016

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Cameron Montgomery as the Ontario PC candidate for Orléans:

“I congratulate Cameron Montgomery on his nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Orléans.

“An educator with 20 years of experience, Cameron is an expert on the opportunities and challenges facing Ontario’s education system for both Anglophone and Francophone communities. Cameron is also a strong community activist and was previously a member of a mental health research group at the Montfort Hospital and advisory board member of the Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario (TA École). Having worked in Orléans for the past 10 years, I have no doubt Cameron will be a strong representative for his community.

“After 13 years, life is harder under the Liberals. Skyrocketing hydro rates are unaffordable for both families and businesses. Cut after cut to health care services has meant more time waiting for care, and taxpayer dollars continue to be wasted.

“In Orléans and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard to earn the trust of voters. I look forward to working with Cameron and the rest of our Ontario PC Party team as we work hard to share our positive message of change.”

http://www.ontariopc.com/News/.....Montgomery
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( a new candidate was also nominated in Brampton South )

Statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination of Prabmeet Sarkaria

December 04, 2016

The following is a statement from Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown on the nomination ofPrabmeet Sarkaria as the Ontario PC Party candidate for Brampton South:

“I congratulate Prabmeet Sarkaria on his nomination as the Ontario PC candidate for Brampton South.

“Prabmeet brings an important perspective to our modern, inclusive and pragmatic Ontario PC team. Prabmeet is a lawyer, serves on the City of Brampton’s Property Standards Committee, and is an organizer for the annual Hockey for Humanity tournament. An active fixture in the Brampton community and as the former Ontario Vice President of the World Sikh Organization, we are lucky to have Prabmeet’s diverse experience as part of our Ontario PC team. I know he will work hard to build a stronger Brampton and Ontario.

“After 13 years, life is harder under the Liberals. Skyrocketing hydro rates are unaffordable for both families and businesses. Cut after cut to health care services has meant more time waiting for care, and taxpayer dollars continue to be wasted.

“In Brampton South and across the province, the Ontario PC Party will continue to work hard to earn the trust of voters. I look forward to working with Prabmeet and the rest of our Ontario PC team as we work hard to share our positive message of change.”

http://www.ontariopc.com/News/.....t-Sarkaria
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Amanda simard was nominated in Glengary Prescott Russell as Derek Duval was disqualified )

Derek Duval says he was “grilled” over hockey video, disqualified from nomination race

 December 1, 2016 Theresa Ketterling Vankleek Hill 18 Views  0 Comment

Derek Duval, who was in the running to be Glengarry-Prescott Russell’s next Progressive Conservative candidate, says his candidacy has been “disallowed” by the party at the last minute, in part because he was accused by a party employee of filming a man eating a hamster off of a hockey stick.

In an email sent out just after midnight on December 1, Duval said he had only been informed of the decision earlier in the evening. “I am obviously very disappointed at how unfair this process has been, and how the local members of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell will be robbed of the opportunity of choosing their candidate, and instead having one nominated for them from Toronto,” he wrote.

Duval says he had known “from the beginning of the process” that the party officials preferred his competitor, candidate Amanda Simard, a Russell Township councillor from Embrun. “Local party members informed me that the party’s regional organizer and a member of the Leader’s office were personally making calls on behalf of Ms. Simard and bullying them to supporting her,” he claims in his email. The Review has reached out to Derek Duval, Amanda Simard and riding president Marilissa Gosselin for comments, but did not hear back immediately.

Duval also claims it was only after “pressure from local members of the party, including elected officials at the municipal level” a nomination meeting was scheduled in Vankleek Hill as well as Embrun. Duval says he signed up 1,200 new party members, and party officials saw “no other outcome than me winning the nomination” and so disqualified him. Two separate nomination meetings were scheduled for Saturday, December 3, and as of Thursday afternoon both were still listed as events on the party’s website.

Duval’s email goes on to say a party official questioned him about a video filmed at a Pond Rocket Tournament in Vankleek Hill. “I was grilled by party employee Garfield Dunlop, no stranger to controversy these days, who accused me of filming someone eating a hamster off of a hockey stick. I informed Mr. Dunlop that the guy was eating poutine off of a hockey stick. Those facts didn’t matter,” wrote Duval. He shared the jokey 35-minute documentary on Facebook. The video features hockey players and fans who appear to have been drinking heavily, including one who vomits into a garbage can. The email apparently refers to a part of the video beginning approximately at minute 27, where a man in a dressing room eats something off of a hockey stick.

A shot from a video filmed by Derek Duval and othersat a Pond Rocket Tournament in Vankleek Hill. Derek Duval says PC party officials accused him of filming a man eating a hamster off of a hockey stick - he says it was poutine.
A shot from a video filmed by Derek Duval and others at a Pond Rocket Tournament in Vankleek Hill. Derek Duval says PC party officials accused him of filming a man eating a hamster off of a hockey stick – he says it was poutine.

Supporters disappointed

Those supporters who responded to the news on Facebook were unfazed by the video. Hawkesbury Mayor Jeanne Charlebois wrote: “Derek, you win hands down, a wonderful wife, beautiful daughter, very supportive family, loyal friends, this is what counts. Leader Brown lost big time.”

Jason Chenier, one of the founders of Sacha’s Park, a universally-accessible park in L’Orignal, expressed his disappointment: “The PC party of Ontario should be ashamed. Sounds like the fix was in and you never had a chance. Their loss, as you are a hard working member of our community who has tirelessly given of your time towards many projects, including Sacha’s Park, that will have a lasting impact for years to come. You would have been a great candidate to represent us.”

Jason Jackson, who was also listed as one of the makers of the video, and organizer of the annual Pond Rocket Tournament in Vankleek Hill, said “anyone who purchased an Ontario PC Party membership in hopes of voting for Derek Duval in Saturday’s leadership vote” should call the party and ask for a refund. “Derek Duval and his team sold over 1200 memberships and then had his candidacy removed four days before the election,” he wrote.

https://www.thereview.ca/2016/12/01/derek-duval-says-he-was-grilled-over-hockey-video/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( brown has a different view on the nominations and says there is too many potential candidates in ridings with much larger than normal riding associations and that has made the race to become a Ontario pc candidate more difficult , the optics of having 3 male candidates disqualified in eastern Ontario in place of 2 younger female candidates does seem odd though )

Brown chalks up nomination disappointments to supply glut

Ontario PC leader says with so many people wanting to run in 2018, there are bound to be rejections

Keith Leslie — Canadian Press

Monday, December 5th, 2016

TORONTO – Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown admits some would-be candidates for the 2018 Ontario election are not getting past the PC vetting process, but he insists it’s good for the Tories to have so many people wanting to run.

There have been complaints from rejected candidates and some long-time party members about interference in the nomination process from PC headquarters, especially from some eastern Ontario ridings.

Brown disputes a claim by Derek Duval, who says he was rejected as a candidate in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell after PC officials complained about a locker room video he posted showing a young man eating poutine off of a hockey stick.

He insists the video wasn’t the reason Duval was disqualified, and says it’s the party’s right to vet candidates to make sure there’s nothing that would embarrass the Progressive Conservative brand.

Duval, who claimed he signed up 1,200 new PC members, says Brown tired to catch him by surprise by moving up the date for the nomination meeting because the party wanted lawyer and local councillor Amanda Simard as its candidate.

The Tories had said nominations for 2018 would start in Jan. 2017, but Brown says that was moved up because he wants all candidates in place by the end of 2017, and that means doing ten nominations a month for the next year.

“There’s so much interest right now in running for our party,” he said. “We do some pretty extensive vetting, and that means there will be candidates that get disqualified.”

The newest member of the PC caucus, 19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff, who won a Nov. 17 byelection in Niagara West-Glanbrook, has social conservative views that run counter to Brown’s attempts to rebrand the Tories as a more open and inclusive party.

Brown admitted would-be PC candidates are asked about their views on a range of topics, but he wouldn’t say if they can be rejected for having social conservative opinions on issues such as gay rights and sex education.

“We do our best to make sure that candidates share the values we’re putting forward, and so there’s a variety of things a candidate can be disqualified for,” he said. “But that’s an internal process.”

Brown said every PC riding association is larger than it was before, sometimes with thousands of members where there used to be hundreds, and nomination battles where there used to be acclamations, so he’s confident voters are ready to get rid of the Liberal government.

“The fact we’re in a position where we’ve had more interested candidates than we’ve ever had before speaks to that appetite for change that there is in the province today,” he said. “I think the level of excitement and energy we’re seeing from the candidates in the nominations is a great thing and I welcome it.”

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/05.....pply-glut/
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda Simard named next local PC candidate

 December 5, 2016 Theresa Ketterling Prescott-Russell 7 Views  0 Comment

Amanda Simard will be the next Progressive Conservative candidate in Glengarry-Prescott-Russell. Derek Duval of Vankleek Hill was running against Simard, but was disqualified by the party late last week.

The party has not commented on why Duval was disqualified, but on December 4, PC Leader Patrick Brown released a statement on Simard’s acclamation: “I congratulate Amanda Simard on her nomination as the Ontario PC Party candidate for Glengarry-Prescott-Russell,” it said. “Amanda brings a wealth of experience and an important perspective to our modern, inclusive, and pragmatic Ontario PC team. Amanda is a popular local city councillor, a law graduate from the University of Ottawa, and very active in the francophone community. I have no doubt that Amanda will be a powerful voice for the people of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell at Queen’s Park.”

Simard is a Russell Township councillor. In her candidacy announcement, Simard said she is concerned about hydro rates, as well as debt and cuts to healthcare. “I hope to instill faith in the political process by running a positive and powerful campaign, engaging with residents, and ensuring that our voice is heard clearly and our concerns addressed at Queen’s Park,” she said.

https://www.thereview.ca/2016/12/05/amanda-simard-named-next-local-pc-candidate/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawyer Prabmeet Sarkaria candidate for Ontario PC Party in Brampton South

Former World Sikh Organization VP

Prabmeet Sarkaria

Facebook photo

Prabmeet Sarkaria was nominated the Ontario PC Party Brampton South candidate for the next provincial election.

Brampton Guardian

Brampton lawyer Prabmeet Sarkaria has been nominated to be the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party’s candidate for Brampton South in the next provincial election.

Sarkaria serves on the City of Brampton’s Property Standards Committee, and is an organizer for the annual Hockey for Humanity tournament.

He is the former Ontario Vice President of the World Sikh Organization.

http://www.bramptonguardian.co.....ton-south/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is questions about a pc candidate in Mississauga Centre , is she a liberal ? a liberal defector ? , no one seems to know )

WARMINGTON
A Liberal in Tory clothing?

joe-warmington
By Joe Warmington, Toronto Sun
First posted: Thursday, December 08, 2016 09:55 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, December 08, 2016 10:13 PM EST

heer
PC candidate Urz Heer poses with Justin Trudeau in this undated handout photo. Handout/Postmedia Network

When it comes to which political party she supports this conservative is kind of Liberal.

Not long ago, in 2014, Urz Heer was Twitter praising Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne. Now, this Saturday Heer is hoping to be the Progressive Conservative nominee in the 2018 election for Mississauga Centre against Wynne and the Liberals.

“People evolve,” the venerable candidate explained Thursday, adding she’s “100% behind Patrick Brown.”

But the evolution had not yet begun when she once tweeted “my favourite premier @kathleen Wynne,” with a picture of them smiling.

Another tweet references a “selfie with the amazing #OLP premier @Kathleenwynne.”

Social media also shows similar grinning shots with former Liberal leaders Stephane Dion, Michael Ignatieff and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“@JustinTrudeau Happy Birthday! Thank you for saving Canada from going down a path of hatred and division #aCanadianisACanadian,” Heer tweeted in December 2015.

Six months later as a delegate at the federal Conservative convention she complained “the party worked actively and aggressively against my people . . . it didn’t differentiate who Muslims were, versus the enemy.”

Thursday she was out stumping for support for the nomination for the PCs.

“Don’t forget Jason Kenney was a Liberal once too. I actually have not been a Liberal member since 2010,” said the personable and cheerful Heer, a strong community activist and journalist. “Yes I did support Kathleen Wynne when she was looking toward being the leader but I quickly realized that this province needed something better.”

The whole notion she’s a person who saw the light is not sitting well with many longtime conservatives, who always fear potential double agents and opportunists in their midsts.

Heer dismisses the notion: “I am a loyal conservative,” she said.

Not everybody in the party is convinced -- many saying they can’t understand how someone so tight with Liberals should be rewarded by the PC party.

“It’s absurd,” said Jay Tysick, who’s own PC nomination candidacy in Carleton was disqualified “because I have a social conservative footprint.”

Being pro life, or concerned about the appropriateness of teaching of gender identity politics to children, said Tysick, “is not accepted in the Ontario PCs anymore but being a recent Liberal praising the leader of the party we are trying to replace seems to be.”

He calls it the Twilight Zone.

“There are many in the PC party now with Liberal backgrounds,” said Tysick. “I see this as a Liberal infiltration of the party.”

In fact in the case of Heer, he said, some members tried to stop her nomination but “the party brass stepped in and overturned it.”

Heer said she is grateful for that. “I do feel good about that, I am not going to lie,” she said of Brown’s support. “At the end of the day I have to work hard and he has to show he’s unbiased. He has opened up his tent to everyone.”

Everyone, said Tysick, except social conservatives.

Brown’s spokesperson said “we don’t comment on internal Party matters.”

From my point of view these things should be sorted out by the voting in the local ridings. All candidates should be able to run with their own ideas and let local members, not leadership, decide.

Tysick calls the dilution of the party “wrong and weird.”

Heer disagrees.

“Do you know how many Liberal are running for the PC’s right now?” she said. “I have not been a Liberal for many years but my colleague running in Brampton was a Liberal not to long ago.”

In fact she says having former Liberals as candidates is positive.

“I would say 90 per cent of immigrants have a natural leaning toward the Liberals” and "we need to convert many people” into enjoying the benefits of becoming conservatives.

She has first-hand experience in just how to do that.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....y-clothing
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countdown to next Ontario vote has started

christina-blizzard
By Christina Blizzard, Queen's Park Columnist
First posted: Saturday, December 10, 2016 02:25 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, December 10, 2016 07:23 PM EST

All through the House last week, legislators were giddy and skittish and anxious to head home for their long winter nap.

The House rose with such a clatter — not of reindeer hooves, but of Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government pushing through bills.

With 18 months to go before the 2018 election, this is a pivotal point. From now on, all political eyes will be focused on the June 7, 2018 election date.

In the spirit of festive goodwill, I offer these helpful observations for the three leaders as they gear up for the next vote:
•Premier Kathleen Wynne

What to do about that 15%-and-dropping approval rating?

The Liberal government tried to hit the re-set button with a cabinet shuffle and a Throne Speech promising cuts to the HST on hydro. In the fall economic statement, they attempted to bribe voters with their refund to first-time home buyers of up to $4,000 from the land-transfer tax.

None of that seems to be scoring points — and Wynne’s ratings are still plummeting.

The only move left for the Liberals to stop the hemorrhage of votes is almost unthinkable — dump Kathleen. Make no mistake, she won’t quit. She’s said she’ll lead her party into the next election. Wynne’s a formidable fighter and campaigner. But the Liberal party has enjoyed power in this province for 16 years. They won’t let go easily. If they believe changing the face at the helm will improve their numbers, watch out.

A night of the long knives is not out of the question.

Watch your back, premier.
•PC leader Patrick Brown

He must remember the golden rule of politics: Define yourself before your opponent does it for you.

He’s made missteps of late, with a flip-flop on the sex-ed curriculum and a number of embarrassing nomination battles. Brown also saw his favoured candidate in the Niagara West-Glanbrook byelection out-manoeuvred by a 19-year-old rookie with strong social conservative roots.

The Liberals have made hay out of that.

Brown was asked if he fears the religious right and evangelical Christians such as Charles McVety are taking over the grassroots of his party.

“Charles McVety shares a different agenda. His agenda is against the one I have,” Brown said. “I’m not worried.

“Frankly, I think his bark is louder than his bite.”

He also has a problem with some nominations. He’s being viewed as high-handed in turning down some potential candidates. Brown say he’s had no input, but with so many candidates vying to run under the Tory banner, some of whom have no history with the party, they have to be careful.

The party has hired vetting companies, he said.

“If someone’s disqualified, it’s for very legitimate reasons.”

He needs to pick a lane and stick with it — and take a page from former Premier Mike Harris’s book.

He told his MPPs the party was about fiscal conservatism, not the social kind. This province now has a $300 billion debt problem that keeps growing. That should be the ballot issue in 2018, not same-sex marriage and abortion.
•NDP leader Andrea Horwath

Probably the person with the most to lose in the next vote. It will be three strikes and she’s out if she doesn’t pull off a spectacular turn-around.

She should go the full Bernie Sanders. Hillary Clinton’s opponent for the Democratic nomination had a message that resonated on the left as much as Donald Trump’s hit home on the right.

Horwath should bring Sanders here to rally the troops.

With the mess the party’s in federally and its lackluster performance in the last election provincially, the party risks extinction.

In the last election, Wynne and the Liberals ran to the left of the NDP — with big promises stolen from the NDP playbook, such as their costly pension plan.

Liberals can’t run left this time — not after they sold off Hydro One.

Will they run to the right of Brown and the Tories? Harris tried to sell Hydro One and failed. It now appears the Liberals are more in bed with Bay St. than the Tories.

Politics, so they say, made odd bedfellows.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....as-started

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: