Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, May 12, 2017
Simcoe North Nomination Meeting
Orillia | by Ian MacLennan

Doug Downey or Jill Dunlop will represent the Orillia-area riding in the next provincial election.

A big weekend for the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party in Simcoe North.

There is a nomination meeting tomorrow(SAT) to choose the candidate to run in the June 2018 election.

Former Orillia city councillor and local lawyer Doug Downey is being challenged by Jill Dunlop, whose dad, Garfield Dunlop, once represented the riding.

Current MPP and Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown wil run in the new riding of Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte.

Voting is taking place in Midland, Coldwater and Orillia.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....wsID=93067
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday, May 14, 2017
Dunlop Wins PC Nomination in Simcoe North
Orillia | by Ken Hashizume

Jill Dunlop beat former City Councillor Doug Downey; she is the daughter of former MPP Garfield Dunlop.

The Ontario PC candidate in Simcoe North is a Dunlop.

Jill Dunlop won the nomination on Saturday beating out lawyer and former Orillia City Councillor Doug Downey.

Dunlop is an instructor at Georgian College.

Her father is former Simcoe North MPP Garfield Dunlop and her mother, Jane, is a Severn Township Councillor.

The process began earlier in the day in Midland where a nomination meeting was held.

It then moved to Dunlop's hometown of Coldwater in the afternoon before finishing at Patrick Fogarty Catholic Secondary School in Orillia.

Dunlop says she is in a position where she can be in the riding full time.

She says the big issue is hydro as it affects residents and businesses.

Dunlop admits she doesn't have the same level of political experience as Downey.

But she says her position at the college allowed her to get out in the public, sit on boards, and do a lot of volunteering.

Dunlop says the fact that her father used to hold the seat in the riding played a part in her victory but believes she worked hard in getting her name out there.

She says she has big shoes to fill but thinks her father wouldn't have supported her if he didn't think she could do the job.

Downey says he was disappointed that he didn't get the nomination.

But he says that's politics adding if you can't fill the room with supporters, you don't win.

Downey says the goal right now for the Progressive Conservatives is to win the provincial election in 2018.

He says what's happening in Queen's Park is not sustainable and there needs to be a change.

The Simcoe North riding is currently held by party leader Patrick Brown.

He is expected to run in the new riding of Springwater-Barrie-Oro-Medonte in the next provincial election.

http://www.bayshorebroadcastin.....wsID=93096
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tories hire private auditors to watch their own nominations

Progressive Conservative candidate nominations have become so messy that riding association presidents are appealing the outcome of at least two contests, the Star has learned.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown during question period at Queen's Park, February 21, 2017. Brown has hired PwC to oversee the party's nomination battles after complaints were filed.

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Fri., May 12, 2017

Progressive Conservative candidate nominations have become so messy that riding association presidents are appealing the outcome of at least two contests, the Star has learned.

In an unusual move, PC activists in the ridings of Newmarket-Aurora and Ottawa West Nepean have complained in writing to their own party about irregularities at their recent nomination meetings.

The turmoil has forced Conservative Leader Patrick Brown to retain the services of private-sector auditors PwC to ensure the integrity of nominations going forward.

“I’m only going to allow nominations that are certified by PwC to proceed,” Brown told CFRA’s Rob Snow in Ottawa on Thursday.

Auditors from the company — which is also known as PricewaterhouseCoopers — will be at each of the more than 60 ridings where PC candidates have yet to be nominated.

With polls suggesting Brown could win the June 7, 2018 election, would-be Tory candidates have been coming out of the woodwork with more contested nominations than ever before.

But that has led to serious growing pains.

Ottawa West Nepean riding association president Emma McLennan wrote to Brown to express concerns about ballot-box stuffing that allegedly occurred there last Saturday.

There were 28 more ballots in the boxes than had registered to vote that day.

The eventual victor, Karma Macgregor, topped runner-up Jeremy Roberts by 15 votes. Party executive director Bob Stanley declared Macgregor the winner fair and square.

Citing the PC constitution, Roberts has launched a formal appeal of the results.

“My campaign contends that there were numerous instances of both nomination rules being broken and outright fraudulent behaviour,” he wrote Thursday in a separate letter to the party also obtained by the Star.

Roberts said the 28 questionable “ballots were in a box in which we know that fraud was committed” because 17 others in it were rejected due to irregularities.

“I will not be pursing this matter in any public forum and wish for this matter to be dealt with internally through the approved upon process,” the defeated candidate wrote.

“Our collective goal should be to ensure that the Ontario PC Party is strengthened and remains a party of high ethical standards in contrast to the appalling current Ontario government.”

Newmarket-Aurora PC riding association officials are challenging the April 8 nomination of candidate Charity McGrath Di Paolo.

“The nomination process and election has been tainted by a blatant breach of the nomination rules,” according to an April 27 letter to Brown and other party brass from riding association president Derek Murray and six others.

In their five-page request for an appeal, the Newmarket-Aurora riding association executive alleged that supporters of rival candidates Tom Vegh and Bill Hogg “were physically blocked from approaching or speaking with” Tories being bussed in for the nomination meeting.

Ironically, the internal PC tumult is coming to light the same week as the party is promising to “enhance fairness in politics and government” by introducing new accountability measures if elected next year.

Brown, for his part, insisted the snafus are happening because there is so much excitement surrounding his party, which leads Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals by double digits in the polls.

“I don’t get involved in nominations,” he said, adding “I want to make sure the nominations are transparent, fair, and democratic.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/12/tories-hire-private-auditors-to-watch-their-own-nominations.html
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown blames nomination problems on 'energized' Tories

Tory Leader Patrick Brown says he had to hire private-sector auditors to oversee PC nominations because the party is growing so fast.

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown says more people than ever are stepping forward to run for the party in next year's election.

Mon., May 15, 2017

Even bandwagons need brakes and airbags.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown says he hired private-sector auditors PwC to oversee his party’s candidate nominating elections because so many people are vying to run for him in the June 7, 2018 election.

As first disclosed by the Star, party activists in Newmarket-Aurora and Ottawa West-Nepean are formally challenging the results of their nominations after irregularities such as ballot stuffing.

With public-opinion polls suggesting the Conservatives could unseat Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals next year, newly minted Tories have been climbing aboard the Brown bandwagon.

“We’ve never seen so many memberships being sold. There is this massive appetite for change in Ontario and because of that we’ve never had so many candidates, so many contested nominations,” the PC leader said in an interview Monday.

“For me, given the fact that we’re seeing nominations that are more energized than ever before I thought engaging PwC would help let anyone know that there’s a neutral arbiter there,” he said.

Auditors from the firm that is also known as PricewaterhouseCoopers began monitoring Tory nominations this past weekend.

“We had three nominations, heard no complaints,” said Brown.

“Ultimately I have to sign the nominations and I’ve told the party that I want PwC to sign off on the best practices,” he said.

The Tory leader said the juggernaut began picking up steam after PC MPP Raymond Cho won the Liberal stronghold of Scarborough-Rouge River in the Sept. 1 byelection.

“When we saw Scarborough-Rouge River — a seat that had been Liberal for 50 years — go, that meant …a safe Liberal seat can change. That means right now there are contested elections in every single riding,” said Brown.

“Frankly, it’s a good problem to have. Where other parties have to appoint candidates or struggle to find people, we have more people than we’ve ever been accustomed to.”

The Tories have nominated 34 candidates — including the two being challenged in Newmarket-Aurora and Ottawa West-Nepean — beyond the party’s sitting 29 MPPs.

Ottawa West-Nepean riding association president Emma McLennan alerted Brown to alleged ballot box stuffing at the nomination there on May 6 after there were 28 more ballots in the boxes than had registered to vote.

The declared winner was Karma Macgregor, who bested runner-up Jeremy Roberts by 15 votes. Roberts is officially appealing the outcome.

If there is a do-over in the suburban Ottawa riding, PwC would oversee it.

In Newmarket-Aurora, Tory riding association officials complained of “a blatant breach of the nomination rules.”

They are challenging the April 8 nomination of candidate Charity McGrath Di Paolo, who beat Tom Vegh and Bill Hogg.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/05/15/brown-blames-nomination-problems-on-energized-tories.html
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill Dunlop secures Simcoe North PC nomination in tight outcome

Dunlop defeats Downey by 59 votes

News May 15, 2017 02:00 by Frank Matys  Orillia Today|

Jill Dunlop wins Simcoe North PC nomination

Jill Dunlop - Submitted

A family name with roots that run deep within the riding’s political landscape is set to return with a new face in the next provincial election.

Jill Dunlop has secured the nomination to represent Simcoe North’s Progressive Conservatives when Ontarians next head to the polls.

“I know I have big shoes to follow,” she told Simcoe.com. “I have grown up watching the work my parents have done together and the sacrifices they have made for Simcoe North, and I’m prepared to do the same.”

Dunlop’s father, former MPP Garfield Dunlop relinquished his longtime seat in the summer of 2015 to make way for PC party leader Patrick Brown.

Brown, who currently represents Simcoe North, intends to run in the new riding of Barrie-Springwater-Oro-Medonte in the next election.

“It was amazing while I was campaigning to just hear from everybody how much they appreciate the work (my father) did and how much he’s missed and that they were hoping I would take over and continue that legacy,” Dunlop added.

Dunlop defeated fellow contender Doug Downey by a slim margin of 59 votes.

Close to 1,700 were cast.

“It was very close, so it makes you think back on every person who took that extra time on Saturday to come out and support me,” she said.

In the months leading up to the nomination meeting, Dunlop canvassed area residents on a range of issues during a series of roundtable discussions.

A shortage of affordable housing for seniors emerged as a concern, one she hopes to help address if elected.

“The group that currently has Hillcrest (Lodge in Orillia) is looking at trying to convert the old OD high school,” she said. “I’d like to be part of that, for that group.”

Increased funding for hospitals in Orillia and Midland is also a priority, she said.

“And hydro is definitely (a concern),” she said. “It affects everybody across the province, from homeowners to farmers to manufacturers and business owners.”

Dunlop is an instructor at Georgian College, and as well provides marketing and fundraising support for the Child Advocacy Centre of Simcoe/Muskoka

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/7315920-jill-dunlop-secures-simcoe-north-pc-nomination-in-tight-outcome/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I don't know if during all my years following politics that I can ever recall a party having so many issues and complaints filed over its handling of its own nomination meetings . hopefully the outside auditors can bring some professionalism and give the people contesting them faith in the process . I have never seen a party having such issues on such a wide scale before )

Misconduct alleged in Ontario PC nomination battle

Justin Giovannetti

The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, May 16, 2017 10:09PM EDT

Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives received a complaint accusing the party’s president of stuffing the ballot box in a contested nomination battle the day before Leader Patrick Brown announced that outside auditors would supervise future nominations.

Vikram Singh lost his bid to be the PC candidate for the riding of Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas earlier this month. His campaign filed an appeal of the result with the party on May 7, alleging that “gross irregularities and voter fraud” took place at a vote overseen by the top executives of the PC Party, president Rick Dykstra and executive director Bob Stanley. The Globe and Mail has obtained a copy of the 11-page appeal document.

Mr. Brown did not respond to the allegations on Tuesday, but previously told reporters he had hired auditors from PricewaterhouseCoopers to monitor future nomination meetings because the party was seeing “more energized” contests than in past years.

The decision to bring in outside observers was unprecedented, said PC party officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to speak with the media. They said the move showed that Mr. Brown had lost confidence in the party executive’s ability to manage the races just over a year before the next general election.

Mr. Dykstra, Mr. Stanley and the party did not respond to a request for comment. The appeal has not been adjudicated yet.

According to the appeal, Mr. Singh was leading after the seven ballot boxes at the nomination meeting were counted, but lost the four-way-race to candidate Benjamin Levitt after the inclusion of votes cast at the credentials table, an area where voters who need to have their party status verified are directed and which is supervised by party officials.

Mr. Stanley and Mr. Dykstra stood at the credentials desk during most of the meeting, according to the appeal. Mr. Singh’s campaign alleges he was on track to win the contest, but Mr. Levitt won because 202 of the 345 ballots cast at the credentials desk went to him.

A similar appeal was lodged after voting in the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean at which some of the same party officials were present.

“We have filed an appeal and we are confident in the internal process and we will work with the party to ensure that integrity in the system is maintained,” Mr. Singh told The Globe. “Those involved in allegations of criminal activity at nomination meetings should be held accountable. I have faith in the leadership of Patrick Brown.”

The Singh campaign alleges in the appeal document that it is improbable that 345 ballots were cast at the credentials table in less than the two hours and 30 minutes set aside for voting. According to the appeal, an average of one ballot cast every 26 seconds would have been required to reach that tally, and cases at the credentials desk require extensive identification checks by party officials. It can take several minutes for a single voter to prove who they are, their address and party status and then can cast a ballot.

When challenged about the count that night, Mr. Dykstra and other party officials resisted an open count of the credentials ballots, according to an account of the evening written by Amanpreet Bal, Mr. Singh’s chief scrutineer at the vote, and attached to the appeal.

Mr. Bal wrote that when he and Mr. Dykstra both counted forms from the credentials desk and came to different counts, the party president left the room. “He grabbed all the forms and said that these will be counted by party’s lawyers and placed them into a box,” he wrote.

Mr. Levitt, works for local MP David Sweet and was endorsed by former federal foreign affairs minister John Baird.

Mr. Levitt’s campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

Jeff Peller, another candidate in the race, also sent an appeal to the PC party on May 9, saying a “lack of administrative oversight, failure to implement fair procedures and the involvement of potentially biased scrutineers” cost him the race

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....e35013378/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Smith shoots to score provincial PC nomination

By Joelle Kovach

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:10:21 EDT PM

Dave Smith, a long-time conservative volunteer, community advocate and Sports Personality of the Year 2014 for the City of Peterborough has declared his intention to seek the Ontario PC Party nomination for Peterborough-Kawartha. CLIFFORD SKARSTEDT/EXAMINER

Dave Smith, founder of the Under the Lock hockey tournament, is about to seek the Progressive Conservative nomination for the next provincial election in Peterborough-Kawartha.

Smith also chaired the recent international hockey tournament for special-needs players in Peterborough when the tourney was in danger of cancellation.

He stepped up to help save the tournament at the last minute after the original organizers were charged with fraud. Teams from around the world wanted to play, and Smith hated to see them turned away.

So he and a dozen volunteers formed an organizing committee.

In March, more than 900 special needs hockey players from 56 teams from North America and Europe came to Peterborough for the tournament.

Smith said he doesn't get discouraged - even when the task may seem daunting.

"Seriously: whatever roadblocks are put in your way, make a right turn," he said. "Do a detour. Find a way around it."

Smith, 47, is a long-time Conservative volunteer.

He works as a manager of product development for Cardinal Software on Lansdowne St. (the firm creates software for the development of Individualized Education Programs - IEPs - for public school pupils who need a custom curriculum).

Smith and his wife Lorien have a blended family of three children; all three are in university.

So is Smith, at the moment: he's completing his MBA in Business Analytics from the University of Fredericton, via online learning. That's in addition to his Bachelor of Science in Computing Systems from Trent University; he moved here to attend Trent in 1989, and has made Peterborough his home since.

Smith said he's concerned about the amount of debt students have when they leave university, and the lack of "career-track" jobs available for them in Ontario.

He's also worried that the provincial government's spending and debt will soon erode the healthcare system.

The answer isn't to increase taxes, Smith stressed: "We're already taxed to the nines."

Instead, he thinks the government ought to cut back on taxes and hydro and give citizens back money to spend.

"We need to get to a point where government is taking as little as possible from individuals, so our economy grows," he said.

Smith faces competition: Ryan Moore and Derek Andreoli are also seeking the Conservative nomination.

Moore, 38, is the president of the Agricultural Society, and Andreoli, 31, is a mechanical engineer.

Meanwhile, the Trent Campus Conservatives say they are endorsing Moore for the nomination.

Moore and Smith both reached out to the Trent Campus Conservatives for support. The young Conservatives interviewed Smith and Moore about issues such as hydro costs, the debt and fixing healthcare, for instance.

Brock Terry, the president of the Trent Campus Conservatives, issued a release stating they chose Moore as their preferred candidate.

"We fully back, endorse and encourage all conservatives in Peterborough to support Ryan Moore as our Progressive Conservative candidate," the release states.

The nomination meeting hasn't been set yet. The next provincial election is June 8, 2018.

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Conservative nomination controversies reveal the dark side of leading in the polls

Steve Paikin

Published on May 18, 2017

Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown

The Progressive Conservatives are very popular in anticipation of next year's election, which brings its own challenges. (Peter Power/CP)

Normally in politics, it’s a wonderful thing when the polls tell you you’ve got a double-digit lead over the party whose government you want to defeat in the next election.

But there is at least one downside to that statistical reality. It means that a lot of people think you’re likely to form the next government, and therefore a great many would-be politicians coming out of the woodwork to fight for nominations. That makes for intra-party battles that can get acrimonious, and even publicly embarrassing.

Such is the predicament Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown finds himself in today. Unlike the run-up to some past elections, in which the Tories had no hope of winning and therefore had a devil of a time finding candidates, the party is in a very different position now. The PCs have been ahead of the Liberals in Forum Research’s polling for going on more than two years, and as a result, there are increasing numbers of people who are desperate to win a PC nomination, figuring it’s a safe road to becoming an MPP when the votes are counted on June 7, 2018.

One upshot, according to media reports and several active party members, is that the irregularities at PC nominating meetings have increased at such an alarming rate that Brown has appointed auditing firm PwC to oversee the process going forward. That has given little comfort to one would-be candidate’s campaign manager, who described the decision as “a joke," and went on to say "These guys have no expertise in nomination races. They even screwed up the Oscars.”

One of the latest irregularities took place at the recent nominating meeting for the riding of Richmond Hill. Brian McLean, 58, needs a wheelchair to get around because he suffered a spinal cord injury diving three decades ago. When he arrived at the Toronto Montessori School on Bayview Avenue at Highway 407 to vote, he discovered the meeting was being held in the auditorium, down three flights of stairs. There was no way for him to gain access to the auditorium to listen to the candidates’ speeches and then vote.

So he didn’t, and now he’s furious.

“I was not provided an environment fairly like everyone else,” he told me in a phone conversation on Thursday. “I was denied the right to vote or even to hear the speeches. On a scale of 1 to 10, it’s a 12 for being denied. It’s just not right.”

McLean purchased his $10 membership to the PC Party to enable him to participate in the democratic process, but in the end, he was left embittered and feeling disrespected.

“I’d still like to see the PC Party allow me to vote somehow,” he says, “but I’ve had no contact from anyone from the party.”

Big deal, you say. So one person didn’t get to vote. Beyond the basic rights McLean feels he was denied, the additional problem was, the contest was so tight, the final count showed a tie. The riding association president broke the tie, deciding in favour of candidate Daisy Wai. McLean says he would have marked his “X” for the other finalist, Lara Coombs. Had McLean been able to vote, Coombs would have won. In fact, at the post-meeting get-together of the Coombs team at a local restaurant, campaign staffers began chanting “Let Brian Vote! Let Brian Vote!”

McLean’s inability to vote isn’t just a matter of equity, in other words: it would have changed the outcome of the nomination in that riding.

Coombs’ officials intend to appeal the results to the party’s executive committee, saying McLean’s human rights were violated. But in the short run, since it’s the executive committee that oversees the nominations process, it’s unclear whether those complaints will get a fair or timely hearing. And at the moment, the party has signed off on the result.

Then there’s the issue with Ottawa West-Nepean. There were allegedly 28 more ballots in the voting boxes than people registered to vote that day. Accusations of ballot box stuffing have been investigated by the party and dismissed. But that has not stopped the losing candidate, Jeremy Roberts, from launching an appeal.

Brown has characterized all this as a good problem to have. The numbers of people interested in winning a PC nomination stands in contrast to the state of affairs with the Liberals, who delayed holding a by-election in the vacant Sault Ste. Marie riding for the longest time, because they were unable to get anyone to come forward to contest the seat — a riding it's held since 2003.

But some question whether Brown’s public statements about staying neutral on these nomination fights can be taken at face value. These concerns have led Brown to issue orders to his staff to stay away from future nomination meetings, to avoid the appearance that Brown favors one candidate over another, according to some Tories I’ve spoken to. That may satisfy future nomination battles, but critics are concerned about the 62 that have already taken place, without these caveats in place.

Brown told the Toronto Star that there were three nomination meetings this past weekend, all monitored by PwC, and he’s “heard no complaints.” But given what I was told happened in Richmond Hill, he will be.

Why would the general public care about internal PC Party machinations? As one disgruntled participant in the nomination process told me: “How you govern a party is how you’re likely to govern the province.”

http://tvo.org/blog/current-af.....-the-polls
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

Why would the general public care about internal PC Party machinations? As one disgruntled participant in the nomination process told me: “How you govern a party is how you’re likely to govern the province.”

http://tvo.org/blog/current-af.....-the-polls

I was wondering what the agenda of the article was and there it sits at the very end
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. This version of Paikin isn't that sharp.

The fact is a PC nomination is increasingly interesting to notable people when they have a good chance to be the next government. The competition rises. Why is that a problem?

It's a litle different when the Central Committee tells the riding association who the candidate will be. There are some people that have an expertise, perhaps, that is needed in the caucus, and perhaps even as cabinet officers. And a seat has to be found for them. It happens in all the parties.

So, all the parties have these battles between local candidates, true representatives of their communities, and those who are parachuted in, forced onto a local party organization from head office. Ignatief had this problem when he first got his seat.

But this is just good hot competition. It should mean that Brown will have some talent to work with.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberry Professional Wins Ontario PC Party Nod in Mississauga East-Cooksville

by Alan Kan on May 29, 2017

The Ontario Progressive Conservative Party have selected their candidate for the riding of Mississauga East-Cooksville, and I think a few people, including the candidate himself, were a little surprised by the outcome.

The nomination took place this past week at the Candles Banquet Hall at 1224 Dundas Street East. I can remember decades ago when Conservatives would have had trouble attracting candidates from the various ethnic communities in Mississauga. But in the Ontario PC party of 2017, following the strategy set out by their leader Patrick Brown, the party has managed to reach out to find candidates from such communities. That is a good sign for any political party looking to build beyond their traditional base.

The nominees to become Ontario PC candidate in Mississauga East-Cooksville were:

•Mian Ashraf: his biography states that he has past experience working with the likes of Rob and Doug Ford.. Let’s be clear; nothing wrong with having cut your political teeth from some experienced politicians, but the infamous Ford brothers? Good luck with that.

•Sarah Mallo: her biography states she has a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and currently studying for her law degree. So if the PC party was looking for fresh blood with time on their hands to run for MPP, nothing like a bright eyed young woman with pretty much nothing to lose.

•Kaleed Rasheed: an “Enterprise Account Manager” at Blackberry with a Business Administration degree from University of Guelph-Humber, who also had volunteer roles with the United Way as well as the Syrian refugee relief program. A father of three, Rasheed’s biography stated that he has lived in the riding since 2004.

The nomination did have one more candidate, a gentleman named Tassawar Syed. But as of this writing, he apparently dropped out before the nomination took place, releasing only this statement on his Facebook page. Insauga reached out to Syed for a clarification on his statement, but he did not respond.

With such a diverse group of candidates, you’d think this meeting would last a few hours as voters have three different people to choose from. But by the time I arrived, the nomination was acclaimed by Kaleed Rasheed, as people there indicated that the other candidates dropped out of the nomination contest.

20170524_191015.jpg

My impression of Rasheed was that he himself was more surprised than anyone else at the meeting. Perhaps he was just stunned that the others dropped out and that he won by acclamation, which in the world of political party nomination contests is a rarity unless you happen to be an incumbent member seeking reelection.

20170524_191028.jpg

The other indication that Rasheed was a little stunned by his candidacy was when he was questioned about his position on hydro rates, he said he needed to sit down with the party in order to get a proper briefing. Nevertheless, Rasheed cited the health care system as being one of the issues that personally drove him to run for politics, having a terrible experience at Trillium some years ago when his grandmother was lying 18 hours on a stretcher waiting at the hospital before she could be placed in an actual bed.

As the Ontario PCs are on a bit of an upswing in public opinion polls, it’s not surprising that numerous people of various backgrounds are seeking to run for the party. However, Rasheed does have an uphill battle ahead of him, as no Conservative has won the riding provincially since 1999 (pretty much a century ago). The riding is also currently held by Liberal Dipika Damerla, currently in Kathleen Wynne’s cabinet and who won reelection in 2014 with 52 per cent of the vote.

Rasheed sounded rather optimistic, explaning that as he was knocking on doors selling PC party memberships, many of the residents of the Mississauga East-Cooksville riding were angry, fed up with the governing provincial Liberals, and a number of them were Liberals who decided it was time to switch their vote.

With the selection of Kaleed Rasheed as the PC Party flag bearer in Mississauga East-Cooksville, the party has almost finished nominating their slate of candidates for the 2018 election. The final nomination for the PCs is in the riding of Mississauga Lakeshore, on Tuesday June 20th, at the Lakeshore Convention Centre from 6 to 9 pm.

Insauga will look to provide more in-depth profiles of candidates from all parties as the provincial election next year approaches. Stay tuned.

https://www.insauga.com/blackberry-professional-wins-ontario-pc-party-nod-in-mississauga-east-cooksville
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

[....] Rasheed sounded rather optimistic, explaning that as he was knocking on doors selling PC party memberships, many of the residents of the Mississauga East-Cooksville riding were angry, fed up with the governing provincial Liberals, and a number of them were Liberals who decided it was time to switch their vote.
https://www.insauga.com/blackberry-professional-wins-ontario-pc-party-nod-in-mississauga-east-cooksville

Congrats to Rasheed. Good for him. But this dissatisfaction is the important thing -- if this is spread all through the 905 ridings, the Liberals are toast.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the PCs won Mississauga East—Cooksville & Mississauga-Lakeshore (Charles Sousa's riding) It would likely mean a mega majority was occurring.

I think Patrick Brown will do well in the 905s but those two seats I could see remaining red.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reevely: No re-vote for Tories in Ottawa West-Nepean, local party leader says amid fraud claims

David Reevely David Reevely
More from David Reevely

Published on: June 3, 2017 | Last Updated: June 4, 2017 5:27 PM EDT

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown will use his authority to appoint nominated candidates, says the president of the party's Ottawa West-Nepean riding association.

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown will use his authority to appoint nominated candidates, says the president of the party's Ottawa West-Nepean riding association. James Park / Postmedia

The Ontario Progressive Conservatives will sidestep controversies over the candidates they’ve nominated for the next provincial election by having leader Patrick Brown use his authority to appoint them, says the president of the party’s Ottawa West-Nepean riding association.

Emma McLennan, a longtime party activist, has been asking for a re-vote in her riding amid numerous allegations of fraud, including more ballots counted in the boxes at the May 6 nomination meeting than there were registered voters, three separate bunches of ballots in the boxes all wadded up together, and party members signed up to vote in masses in one Bayshore apartment tower but listed with Toronto telephone numbers.

Karma Macgregor emerged from that nomination meeting with the most votes, just ahead of the other candidate, Jeremy Roberts.

Roberts appealed the results through a formal party process, with support from McLennan and figures like firebrand former Tory senator Marjory LeBreton.

The Progressive Conservative party executive, some of whose members took part in the Ottawa West-Nepean counting, was to decide on Roberts’ appeal Saturday.

“Patrick (Brown) told the executive that he was going to intervene in the nomination process and assert his power to appoint all of the candidates that have been elected at all 64 nomination meetings that have so far taken place. This makes all appeals irrelevant,” McLennan said in an email Saturday afternoon. “So much for having an appeals process.”

Roberts posted to his website that his fight for the nomination is over.

“If a party appears willing to undermine a democratic process to get the result it wants, and will not reverse that decision in the face of overwhelming evidence that the process was wrong and did not represent the will of the people in that riding, it raises legitimate questions about its worthiness to form government and the actions it will take once it does,” he wrote.

But despite it all, he wrote, Ontarians should vote for Brown and the Tories in 2018.

Macgregor had promised to abide by the party’s decision, whatever it was.

The Liberal MPP for Ottawa West-Nepean now is Bob Chiarelli, a target of conservatives’ passionate hate, particularly for overseeing electricity price hikes during his stint as energy minister. The Tories would love to unseat him probably more than any other Ottawa Liberal.

McLennan was neutral in the nomination race. But like Roberts, she has warned that if Tories don’t trust their own nomination processes, they’re going to have a tough time selling Ontarians on themselves as a party of integrity that deserves power.

Party president Rick Dykstra didn’t respond to a request for confirmation. He said earlier in the week that the executive would deal with the Ottawa West-Nepean situation but it was ultimately a family affair that should be kept inside the Progressive Conservative party.

The Tories’ candidate in Ottawa West-Nepean in the last two elections was Randall Denley, a longtime Citizen writer and editor, and now a freelance op-ed contributor. He reported much the same thing as McLennan on Saturday, calling the rejection of Roberts’ appeal “an inexplicable, inexcusable decision.”

The Tories have an extraordinary number of fights over their nominations in the leadup to the next election, with would-be candidates across Ontario complaining publicly that they’ve been the victims of the party leadership’s favouring other candidates, been disqualified at the last moment or been ripped off at nomination meetings.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....aud-claims
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the battle to secure a pc nomination has become so intense due to wynne's extreme unpopularity that some disqualified or losing candidates are trying to take the party to court )

Second would-be candidate takes Progressive Conservative party to court over nomination

A Durham regional councillor is taking the Tories to court because they won’t let him run.

Provincial Conservative Leader Patrick Brown: The Durham debacle is the latest in slew of nomination problems for the Tories, who have hired private-sector auditors PwC to oversee their elections because of controversies.

Wed., June 21, 2017

Another spurned Progressive Conservative candidate is taking the party to court, the Star has learned.

Joe Neal, a Durham regional councillor and lawyer wants a judge to overturn a PC party decision to disqualify him as a candidate because he donated money to the Liberals in the past and ran for them in 1985.

“I was working at this for six months. I was fully approved (by the Tories). I don’t consider myself a Liberal, I consider myself a PC,” he said in an interview Wednesday.

“This process has been unfair. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck and am looking for a job. I truly want to help the PC party make some changes in Ontario.”

Neal is hopeful Justice Bruce Glass will rule Friday in Oshawa that he be reinstated to contest the Durham nomination next week against rivals Lindsey Park and Dominic Morrissey.

His case is bolstered by a recent court ruling by Justice Ian Nordheimer that registered political parties, which are eligible for public subsidies, are not private clubs free to make their own membership arrangements.

“These types of decisions can the subject of judicial review because . . . parties are now in receipt of substantial public money. Justice Nordheimer’s decision was these aren’t just private clubs we’re dealing with that are immune,” said Neal, the second Tory hopeful to take the party to court.

Vikram Singh, a lawyer and a runner-up in the four-candidate PC contest in Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas, is seeking to overturn the nomination won by Ben Levitt on May 7.

Singh’s complaint is scheduled to be heard in court in Hamilton next Tuesday.

Mark Holmes, president of the Durham PC riding association and chair of the nomination committee, said local activists were “surprised” when the central party disqualified Neal.

“The decision was made outside of the riding association. We were not consulted,” said Holmes, who is neutral.

“We interviewed the candidates as part of our responsibility to the nomination process; we recommended that all the candidates proceed to the next stage,” he said.

In an email, PC party president Rick Dykstra said, because the matter is “before the courts . . . we won’t be commenting.”

The Tories’ rationale for disqualifying Neal, a local and regional councillor since 2010, is unusual because there are many former Liberals in the PC fold these days.

MPP Raymond Cho (Scarborough-Rouge River), who ran federally for the NDP in 1988 and as an independent in 2004, was unsuccessful in a 2005 bid to be a provincial Liberal byelection candidate.

Some newcomers to Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown’s slate are also former Liberals.

Mississauga-Erindale PC candidate Sheref El Sabawy lost the 2014 Liberal nomination in Mississauga-Erin Mills and failed to win the federal nomination in Halton in 2011.

Neal’s would-be rivals were decidedly split on his disqualification.

Morrissey, a district manager for the Canadian Federation of Independent Business, said “it’s unfortunate” and it changes the dynamic of the contest because there would only be one ballot.

Park, a lawyer and former federal Conservative staffer, said she “will not let Joe’s antics distract me from working hard to earn the trust of the people of Durham and ensuring they have strong Conservative representation in the next provincial election.”

The Durham debacle is the latest in slew of nomination problems for the Tories, who have hired private-sector auditors PwC to oversee their elections because of controversies.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/06/21/second-would-be-candidate-takes-progressive-conservative-party-to-court-over-nomination.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: