Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of disturbing implications in this story.

First of all, all the parties have sneaky ways of side-lining potentially embarrassing candidates from their leadership races. Even so, it isn't always successful.

In every party, the rules introduce biases. And, in truth, the parties have to protect themselves from rogue candidates, lest they are simply trying for the leadership to make mischief. (Does the name David Orchard ring a bell?)

I don't say this candidate is one of those, but they all favour party insiders and people who have made a commitment to the party in time and money.

And they all pretend to be 'democratic'. The NDP even uses that word in its title, which doesn't make them any different. The Conservatives have the most byzantine system, and actually, the Liberals come closest to the ideal.

But secondly, what gives a court jurisdiction over political parties and their internal procedures? It implies that the political parties are the creatures of the state, rather than the creatures of the population, whose function is to determine and discipline that actions of the state. Isn't it important that the parties be out of the reach of the courts?
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
what gives a court jurisdiction over political parties and their internal procedures? It implies that the political parties are the creatures of the state, rather than the creatures of the population, whose function is to determine and discipline that actions of the state. Isn't it important that the parties be out of the reach of the courts?

In this instance I agree entirely.

Political Parties have every right to determine if their members and those who run for leadership meet their criteria.

I would imagine there is a clause that allows every party to revoke membership and the criteria for that is likely being in line with the parties core principals.

If they vetted this candidate for two months;
Then disallowed him to run, I would say they tried to do their due diligence came across something and opted against allowing him to move forward.

How many court challenges have been successful blocking a riding level nomination or forcing the reinstatement of a disqualified candidate? Parties generally have the ability to set their criteria the courts should not be overriding that unless there is some gross negligence
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plain fact is that all the parties have a way that central command can veto any candidate that comes from a riding organization. And, like it or not, all the alternatives are probably worse when they come into general usage.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( he's not yet an official candidate , needs to pay the $30,000 fee and get 500 signatures from actual ndp card carrying members which may be hard to find these days )

Fifth candidate registers to enter NDP leadership race to replace Mulcair

Party says El-Khoury not an official candidate yet

Eleanor Davidson

Thursday, April 6th, 2017

Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury is the newest – and fifth – candidate to register with Elections Canada to enter the federal NDP leadership race.

El-Khoury, who is listed as a resident of Montreal, registered with the agency on March 27.

While his application to run has been approved by the New Democratic Party’s national director, a party spokesperson confirmed El-Khoury is not yet an official candidate and has to still raise $30,000 for the entry fee and collect signatures from 500 members “in good standing” with the party.

The only other record of El-Khoury with Elections Canada is that he ran...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/06.....e-mulcair/
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its going to be Julien right?
Or am I missing something?
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest NDP candidate wants to upgrade Canadian democracy

Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury is taking on a slate of much better-known candidates

Eleanor Davidson

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017

The federal NDP leadership race has a new contender: a political outsider from Montreal.

Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury is an name unknown to even die-hard politicos. His rivals for the leadership are four sitting MPs who are well known in NDP circles.

“I’m somehow perceived as a different kind of candidate because I am not coming from the same context as the other candidates, who are all MPs,” El-Khoury told iPolitics.

El-Khoury was born in Beirut, Lebanon but moved to Kingston, Ontario in 1991. He is the founder of a small international consulting firm, Wise & Expert. And this isn’t his first...

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/12/newest-ndp-candidate-wants-to-upgrade-canadian-democracy/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former vets ombudsman expected to join NDP leadership

The Canadian Press

Wednesday, April 19th, 2017

Former veterans ombudsman Pat Stogran holds a news conference at the National Press Theatre in Ottawa on Tuesday Aug 17, 2010. Stogran, who was Canada's first veterans ombudsman, says he tried unsuccessfully for years to get the former Conservative government to recognize that homelessness among ex-soldiers was an issue. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

Former veterans ombudsman Pat Stogran is expected to confirm Thursday his intention to seek the federal NDP leadership.

The retired Canadian Armed Forces colonel is set to make an announcement at a downtown Ottawa hotel.

Stogran is already registered as a candidate on the Elections Canada website.

NDP MPs Niki Ashton, Peter Julian, Guy Caron and Charlie Angus are also registered, along with Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury, the founder of a Montreal consulting firm.

The NDP says Stogran and El-Khoury must submit nomination paperwork and a registration fee in order to be official candidates.

A court settlement also clears the way for the NDP to reconsider the bid of a Toronto man who took the party to court after it rejected his application late last year.

Brian Graff had argued that the party unfairly blocked his entry into the race with no reasons or explanation.

A statement Tuesday says key to the settlement was a commitment by the party to take another look a Graff’s application.

The race to replace Tom Mulcair at the helm of the NDP ends in October.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/19.....eadership/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( his leadership bid to me still seems a little bit suspect as its now being revealed he was more active within Toronto liberals than first though and was even on the board of a riding association , still gives me the feeling he might not really be ndp )

NDP to reconsider rejected leadership candidate's entry bid

Toronto's Brian Graff took the party to court in March after it blocked his attempt to join the federal leadership race.

Toronto Beach resident Brian Graff threatened to take the NDP party to court after he was excluded from running for the party's leadership.

By Alex BallingallOttawa Bureau

Tues., April 18, 2017

OTTAWA—The NDP will reconsider the federal leadership bid of a Toronto man who took the party to court after it rejected his candidacy application late last year.

Brian Graff, 58, had argued that the party unfairly blocked his entry into the leadership race with “no reasons or explanation,” and wanted an Ontario court to force the NDP to take another look at his application.

Graff told the Star Tuesday that he reached a settlement with the NDP, and that the party will reconsider his candidacy this week. He also said the party has provided him with an outline of the reasons his application was rejected in December. Most involve concern that his beliefs don’t hew closely enough to NDP policy doctrine, he said.

In an emailed statement, the NDP confirmed that it would review Graff’s leadership application. The party, however, stood by its vetting process as “fair and appropriate.”

“In order to avoid a costly and unnecessary legal proceeding, the party has agreed to review Mr. Graff’s application again,” the statement said.

Graff welcomed the agreement and said the NDP should have a more transparent application process.

“I like to stick up for myself,” he told the Star.

“I don’t like bullies. I don’t like people who take advantage of their position, and certainly I felt the party, the NDP — that there was an abuse of the process here, by trying to delay or keep people out of the race.”

Graff ran unsuccessfully for Toronto city council in 2014. He joined the NDP last August after being a member of the Liberal party for several years, even serving on the board of an east end Toronto riding association. He said he now feels more at home with the NDP, as an “economic nationalist” who disagrees with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s pursuit of trade deals with China and elsewhere.

But Graff said his application was rejected without a thorough explanation in late December. He appealed the decision, but complained that he couldn’t do so effectively without knowing the grounds on which he was being rejected. After his appeal was denied, he took legal action in March to try and force the NDP to reconsider his leadership application.

In Graff’s view, the rejection amounted to a “violation of natural justice,” in which his right as a member of a political party to run for the leadership was denied.

He said Tuesday that most of the reasons for the denial that he’s been given pertain to policy. On electoral reform, for example, he supports a ranked ballot, while the NDP favours proportional representation. He said the party also flagged his position on immigration; Graff said he wants Canada to accept fewer newcomers when the unemployment rate goes up.

“I’m a policy wonk. I’m running on my own ideas and I want to talk on that level,” Graff said.

“The race has been very closed and it’s very hard for people who aren’t MPs or aren’t well known to get into the race.”

The party’s leadership debates so far have featured four MPs running to replace Tom Mulcair: Guy Caron, Charlie Angus, Niki Ashton and Peter Julian.

Graff said he was encouraged to see other people from outside Parliament moving to join the race. According to the Elections Canada, former veterans’ ombudsman Pat Stogran has registered for the leadership contest. So has Ibrahim Bruno El-Koury, a Montreal business consultant.

They aren’t officially in the race, though. NDP spokesperson Guillaume Francoeur said Stogran and El-Koury still need to raise $30,000 each to pay the entry fee, and gather signatures from 500 party members by the July 3 entry deadline.

Meanwhile, Graff said he hopes to get the result of his new application by the end of the week, and is willing to pick up his legal fight against the party if he’s rejected again.

“If they’re still violating natural justice then I can go back to court,” he said.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/04/18/ndp-to-reconsider-rejected-leadership-candidates-entry-bid.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( Sid Ryan has decided to not run for ndp leadership )

Ex-union leader Sid Ryan not entering NDP race, endorses Niki Ashton

Ryan cites family, poor french as reasons not to run

Kyle Duggan

Thursday, April 27th, 2017

Ex-union leader Sid Ryan is not entering the NDP leadership race and will instead endorse Niki Ashton for party leader.

In a statement sent out to media late Thursday, Ryan said he decided not to enter the race due to family reasons and his lack of fluency in French. He confirmed to iPolitics he will not run, and noted there are already a fair number of candidates “talking from the left.”

“I have devoted the better part of the past 30 years of my life in helping to build the labour movement across Canada, in order to make life better for workers,...

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/27.....ki-ashton/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it sounds like Singh is actually going to run )

Deputy Ontario NDP leader Jagmeet Singh to run for federal leadership

Kristy Kirkup — Canadian Press

Wednesday, May 10th, 2017

Ontario deputy NDP leader Jagmeet Singh is poised to launch a bid for federal leadership next week, The Canadian Press has learned.

Sources familiar with Singh’s plans say he will make the announcement at the Bombay Palace in Brampton, Ont., on Monday night – the venue where he held an election party in 2011 when he entered provincial politics.

They also say his campaign will be led by Michal Hay, executive assistant to Toronto city councillor Michael Layton – the son of late federal NDP leader Jack Layton.

Supporters note Singh is also backed by other New Democrats, including Manitoba legislature member Nahanni Fontaine, party youth wing co-chair Ali Chatur, Quebec organizer and former Layton speech writer Willy Blomme and Peel school board trustee Harkirat Singh.

Singh, a 38-year-old criminal defence lawyer and turbaned Sikh, was named deputy to Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath in spring 2015.

At the time of the announcement, Horwath said Singh had been a “dynamic force” in politics, adding he increased political participation among young people who viewed him as a community leader and mentor.

Inside the provincial wing of the NDP, Horwath also acknowledged Singh’s work to push for provincial reductions of auto insurance rates and improving awareness around precarious employment fuelled by temporary job agencies.

Singh, regarded as a young and energetic leader, has also received nods from Toronto Life magazine on its lists of “50 Most Influential” and “Toronto’s Best Dressed.”

There are four official candidates in the lengthy race to replace Tom Mulcair as NDP leader in October.

Current contenders include B.C. MP Peter Julian, Ontario MP Charlie Angus, Manitoba MP Niki Ashton and Quebec MP Guy Caron.

First-quarter results from Elections Canada indicate Angus is far ahead of his competition on the fundraising front.

The report, which notes contributions from January to March 2017, showed Angus brought in more than $110,675, Ashton had $65,521, Caron had $57,235 and Julian raised $19,143.08.

The NDP says former veterans ombudsman Pat Stogran and Ibrahim Bruno El-Khoury, the founder of a Montreal consulting firm, are not considered official candidates because they must submit nomination paperwork and a registration fee.

Stogran and El-Khoury’s names appear on the Elections Canada website as candidates while Singh’s does not.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/05/10.....eadership/
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching Jagmeet Singh's leadership launch. He had over 900 people RSVP for his launch, which happened in his home riding.

Only been watching a few minutes but he's pretty good.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 15, 2017 8:13 pm Updated: May 15, 2017 11:17 pm
Jagmeet Singh launches bid for federal NDP leadership

By Allison Jones The Canadian Press

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Jagmeet Singh launched a potentially historic bid Monday to make the leap from provincial politics to head up the federal NDP, with a speech heavy on themes of equality and social justice.

If Singh is successful, he would be the first non-Caucasian to helm a major federal party.

Singh, who was born in east Toronto to Punjabi parents, said while growing up in Newfoundland and Labrador and Windsor, Ont., he was picked on because his name, skin and hair were different.

“I faced a lot bullying at school and often felt like I didn’t belong,” Singh told hundreds of supporters at Bombay Palace in Brampton, Ont. — the same place he celebrated his 2011 provincial win.

Singh said he wasn’t alone, but it struck him as “incredibly unfair” that other kids who were no less capable couldn’t follow their dreams because their families had less money. Singh’s father studied medicine in Newfoundland and Labrador then moved the family to Windsor.

“The values that guide me today, and will continue to guide me as leader, are the progressive, social democratic values rooted in my experiences growing up,” he said, switching often between English and French in his speech.

Singh was named deputy Ontario NDP leader in 2015, when speculation was already swirling that he would run federally. Singh has also fought hard against police street checks known as carding.

He said Monday after his speech that he wouldn’t be resigning his Ontario seat to run.

“I’ve had busy schedules before and I’ve been able to still stay in touch with my constituents, so I plan to do that,” he said. The legislature rises for the summer June 1 and returns in September, which is also when online voting starts for the federal leadership.

Supporters at his launch Monday included two provincial caucus colleagues, B.C. legislature New Democrat Rob Fleming, Manitoba legislature New Democrat Nahanni Fontaine and former MP Mylene Freeman.

WATCH: MPP Jagmeet Singh announces federal NDP leadership bid. Alan Carter has more.

Play Video

Singh brings an opportunity for “true representation,” Fontaine said.

“He is really a break in the fabric of status quo,” she said.

Singh, 38, is known around the legislature as a fashion plate with a recent spread in GQ, a Sikh who pairs his colourful turbans with three-piece suits, a mixed martial arts fighter, an avid social media user and lawyer-turned-politician.

Singh said he will later roll out a policy platform, but listed the major issues facing Canada as inequality, climate change, Indigenous reconciliation and electoral reform.

COMMENTARY: Jagmeet Singh and NDP must be aware of challenges posed by Quebec

He took Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to task in his speech for what he called inaction on all of those issues and said that breeds cynicism.

“The right wing is using this to foster a politics of fear and division,” Singh said.

“We’ve seen its most alarming forms in France, in the U.K., and of course, in the United States. And together, we will do everything in our power to make sure it never comes to Canada.”

COMMENTARY: Jagmeet Singh should learn from O’Leary’s mistakes in Quebec

The Conservative leadership candidates are “tripping over each other to drive a wedge between Canadians,” he added.

The other official NDP leadership contenders to replace Tom Mulcair are B.C. MP Peter Julian, Ontario MP Charlie Angus, Manitoba MP Niki Ashton and Quebec MP Guy Caron.

Singh would break through a long-standing barrier at the federal level, one that really ought have been shattered long ago, said Karl Belanger, Mulcair’s former principal secretary.

“Having somebody from a different ethnic background than what we have seen over the past 150 years is something that needs to be applauded,” Belanger said.

The NDP has had trouble connecting with ethnic minorities both in Ontario and at the federal level, said Queen’s University labour and history professor Christo Aivalis.

Singh’s leadership would send a strong signal to the party and to the Canadian public, Aivalis said.

“While some people fear that his turban, his name, his skin colour … could hurt him in certain parts of Canada, others say that in big cities where the majority of seats are, he speaks to a new Canada,” Aivalis said.

Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said Monday that Singh has been a help to the provincial party.

READ MORE: Ontario MPP Jagmeet Singh to launch bid for federal NDP leadership: report

“Jagmeet’s been an excellent member of our team,” she said. “He’s certainly done a lot of hard work to engage young people with our party, to engage folks in the broader GTA with our party.”

Singh’s candidacy will undoubtedly bring a new dimension to the race, said Nathan Cullen, a veteran MP who sought the job in 2012 as one of several rivals to Mulcair.

“I think it will likely change the dynamic for the good,” Cullen said in an interview. “I’ve always been a fan; he’s a compelling speaker and has solid progressive roots and I think would be a challenge for (Prime Minister Justin) Trudeau.”

The next leadership debate is scheduled for Sudbury, Ont., on May 28.

— With files from Kristy Kirkup in Ottawa

http://globalnews.ca/news/3453.....ship-race/
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If Singh is successful, he would be the first non-Caucasian to helm a major federal party.

Ahem ... Indians are Caucasians. Singh would only be the first non-Caucasian Caucasian to lead a Canadian political party.

This guy really seems to be a rising star. The big unknown, with a leader as exotically multicultural as Singh, is what role being a Sikh play in his future? It's an awkward thing to talk about, and it could help him with the NDP voting membership, while hurting the party.

In other respects, he may be able to pick up on some of the successful strains of Jack Layton's time -- with some humour, and a quick wit. That could overcome a lot. He seems to be able to mobilize emotions behind the plight of the poor, the ethnic, and so on. It's less clear if he's acceptable to the gender warriors. (Actually, I wonder if clinging the the two-gender orthodoxy wouldn't be more disqualifying than his religious affiliation.)

Otherwise, it's Charlie Angus and his 60ies revival band ...
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people will sadly cast Singh off simply due to the fact that he is Sikh. But of all the candidates for the NDP leadership, he is the one who could possibly see a breakthrough in the 905, and other suburbs with large new Canadian populations. That would be big for the NDP and could possibly help the CPC win back seats if the NDP take votes from the Liberals.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I'm watching Jagmeet Singh's leadership launch. He had over 900 people RSVP for his launch, which happened in his home riding.

Only been watching a few minutes but he's pretty good.

He is everything the NDP race has been lacking.
He should win on the first ballot.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: