Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Patrick Brown will run in Barrie riding in 2018 Reply with quote

( well not really news as he had always been from Barrie and held the federal seat for a few years , it does mean leaving the safer simcoe north riding for the more suburban swing riding of Barrie )

Brown will seek Barrie seat in 2018 election

Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown
Then Conservative MP Patrick Brown gives his farewell speech in the House of Commons in Ottawa, Wednesday, May 13, 2015. (Sean Kilpatrick / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

CTV Barrie
Published Thursday, October 6, 2016 5:07PM EDT

Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown plans to return to Barrie when he runs for re-election in 2018.

A spokesperson confirmed to CTV News, Brown will run in one of the new Barrie ridings when the provincial riding boundaries are redrawn to match the federal ones.

Brown has been representing the riding of Simcoe North since last year, when MPP Garfield Dunlop stepped aside.

Brown's office confirms that he plans to run in the new riding of Barrie North-Springwater-Oro-Medonte. That new riding will incorporate parts of Simcoe North.

Barrie is currently represented by Liberal MPP Ann Hoggarth, who hasn't announced yet if she'll run in one of the new Barrie ridings in 2018.

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/brown.....-1.3105067
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oct 05, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Patrick Brown to run in Barrie-area riding

MPP’s decision comes a year after winning Simcoe North byelection

Patrick Brown to run in Barrie-area riding

Metroland file photo

Garfield Dunlop (left) stepped aside in Simcoe North so that Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown could run in a 2015 byelection. Brown informed local party members last week that he will run in the next provincial election in the new riding of Barrie–Springwater–Oro- Medonte.

Midland Mirror
By Ian Burns

NORTH SIMCOE – Patrick Brown’s first term as Simcoe North’s MPP will be his last.

Severn Township resident Doug Downey, a lawyer and former Orillia councillor, announced Monday he will seek the candidacy for the Progressive Conservative Party in Simcoe North.

According to Downey, Brown told him and other local party members at a Sept. 30 meeting that he has decided to run in the new Barrie–Springwater–Oro-Medonte riding in the 2018 election.

Brown will continue to represent Simcoe North until the 2018 election. Between now and then, the riding association will hold a nomination contest to find a new candidate.

Simcoe.com contacted Brown’s office about his decision not to seek re-election in Simcoe North a year after becoming MPP in a byelection. The PC leader declined comment.

Nick Bergamini, his press secretary, said Brown has always been open about his intention to represent a Barrie riding. He added Brown is “committed to an open nomination process” and does not want to speak to issues surrounding party nominations.

Brown was elected in a September 2015 byelection after Garfield Dunlop, who had represented the riding since 1999, stepped down. Brown served as member of Parliament for Barrie from 2006-14.

When Brown first announced his run for the party’s leadership in 2014, Dunlop expressed concern over the idea of a federal MP running for provincial leader, but later changed his mind.

“When Patrick first entered the race, I thought, ‘Who does he think he is, coming down from Ottawa to take over our caucus?’ I was wrong,” Dunlop said when he announced his resignation last year.

The date and location of the nomination meeting in Simcoe North has not yet been set.

http://www.simcoe.com/news-sto.....ea-riding/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( someone named Doug Downey wants to run in simcoe north instead , never really heard of him before )

Oct 05, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Downey to run for PCs in Simcoe North

Downey to seek PC nomination in Simcoe North

File photo

Doug Downey

Orillia Today
By Frank Matys

A former Orillia city councillor and local lawyer will seek the candidacy for the Ontario PC Party in Simcoe North.

As revealed yesterday by Simcoe.com, Severn resident Doug Downey is throwing his hat in the ring to represent the riding now held by party leader Patrick Brown.

“Leading volunteer groups such as Kiwanis, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Orillia and District Chamber of Commerce and several political campaigns, including Patrick Brown’s by-election in Simcoe North, has given me an understanding of Simcoe North and the people that live here,” Downey said in a statement. “I have been working hard and delivering results for people in Simcoe North and beyond for several years.”

According to Downey, Brown told local party members on Friday he has decided to run in the new Barrie–Springwater–Oro-Medonte riding in the 2018 election.

Brown will continue to represent Simcoe North until the 2018 election.

Between now and then the riding association will hold a nomination contest to find a new candidate.

Among his accomplishments, Downey cites his work chairing a review of the Trent-Severn Waterway that resulted in investments of more than $625 million and long-term planning.

Downey said he was also instrumental in bringing rules to the home inspection industry.

The date and location of the nomination meeting that has not yet been set.

http://www.simcoe.com/news-sto.....coe-north/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( this article from 2015 would seem to indicate it was always browns plan to run in Barrie in 2018 but simcoe north being so close to barrie maybe some though it be easier to just stay there instead )

Brown will run in Barrie in 2018

Antonella Artuso, Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:36:39 EDT PM

Patrick Brown wins the leadership of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives and defeats Christine Elliott at the PC leadership 2015 in Toronto on Saturday May 9, 2015. Veronica Henri/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

Ontario PC Leader Patrick Brown says he will run in his hometown of Barrie in the next general election but still plans to find a seat somewhere in the province before 2018.

Brown held the federal riding of Barrie until last month, but resigned within days of winning the leadership of the Ontario PC Party.

Without a seat, Brown cannot join his PC caucus in the Ontario legislature to participate in Question Period, debates and votes.

Brown said he will run in one of Barrie’s two new provincial ridings in the spring 2018 election.

“That is my home,” Brown said Friday.

In the meantime, Brown said he still intends to find a provincial seat before that date — although he provided no specifics about where or when.

He would not commit to seeking a seat before the next legislative session begins in mid-September.

“I’m not setting out a timeline,” Brown said. “I said my first priority is to build the organization and the finances of the party. This is a gigantic province and it’s quite a task I have.”

Brown praised the work of former interim leader Jim Wilson who has been stickhandling for him in the legislature.

The legislature adjourned Thursday after a flurry of activity that included passing of a budget bill that provides authority for the Liberal government to launch an IPO to sell a stake in publicly owned Hydro One.

Premier Kathleen Wynne joined her fellow Liberals in Collingwood this weekend for the Ontario Liberal Party Annual General Meeting where they’ll discuss federal/provincial partnerships and community outreach.

Wynne will give the keynote speech Saturday, and then Liberals will celebrate the one-year anniversary of their big election win.

The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) has already announced plans to join other unions to picket Wynne’s speech.

ETFO President Sam Hammond said the protest should give the Liberals a strong sense of deja vu.

“In 2013, as the Liberals selected Kathleen Wynne to be their leader, our message outside the convention centre concerned the damage to public education by the Liberals and Bill 115,” Hammond said in a statement Friday. “This time, after nine months of stalled bargaining, sweeping back-to-work legislation for striking secondary teachers, and contract demands that would unravel a decade of progress in creating a strong education system and excellent teachers, we are protesting with a similar message. Obviously the change in premier hasn’t made much difference to the party’s approach to education.”

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said she’ll spend her summer rallying opposition to the government’s Hydro One sell off.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.c.....ie-in-2018
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect he'd move seats. Probably a good move though.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Partick Brown securing a seat in Simcoe-North was a convenient coincidence;
To my understanding he lives in Barrie and it makes logical sense for him to chase a seat in ta similar riding boundary he made fairly safe for the CPC Federally.

Barrie will be split into Barrie–Springwater–Oro- Medonte & Barrie—Innisfil during the next election, Brown may assist in getting an PC MPP elected in both ridings.

Barrie in general, Provincially has always been close;
However I am not overly concerned about Brown being able to bring it over to the PCs.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I didn't expect he'd move seats. Probably a good move though.

he always seemed more connected to Barrie so I'm not surprised he'd run there instead , simcoe north is rate beside barrie but its a much more rural riding and politically independent from barrie ( as Orillia , midland and oro medonte are separate towns and have own town councils ) so he may have decided barrie was a better fit as its more suburban and urban than in years past , many new condo's are also being built there along waterfront or near highway . its not the small city it used to big and why its being split into 2 ridings .

both the Barrie Innisfil and Barrie springwater Oro Medonte are likely pc pickups , I can't see the liberals being able to hold either , the current liberal mpp Ann Hogarth is really low profile and everyone was shocked when she won in 2014 , no one really expected them to gain that riding at the time ( as she had no profile in the riding and no elected experience either ( never ran for elected office or held an elected position in riding ) , unknown and unheard of candidate who accidently won ) . it showed how horrible tim hudaks campaign was to lose such a safe seat that year.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I think Partick Brown securing a seat in Simcoe-North was a convenient coincidence;
To my understanding he lives in Barrie and it makes logical sense for him to chase a seat in ta similar riding boundary he made fairly safe for the CPC Federally.

Barrie will be split into Barrie–Springwater–Oro- Medonte & Barrie—Innisfil during the next election, Brown may assist in getting an PC MPP elected in both ridings.

Barrie in general, Provincially has always been close;
However I am not overly concerned about Brown being able to bring it over to the PCs.

Barrie has always been an interesting riding provincially , pc for years until 80's when liberals won once , then ndp in 90 , pc again 95 , 99 and even 2003 , then liberal 2007 when former mp ran , then pc again in 2011 when Rod Jackson won , then somehow liberal in 2014 .

but I think the split ridings are more challenging for the liberals and ndp to deal with than pc's cause the pc's do well in the rural areas being added to the barrie ridings . and more urban vote is being split among the 2 ridings and not large enough yet to dominate on its own . for the liberals to win Barrie Springwater Oro Medonte , they'd either need to win the urban polls in Barrie massively or somehow find a way to win or do much better in the rural polls in Oro Medonte twp or towns like Elmvale . I don't see them being able to win over the rural farmers and such . I also see a big win in the urban polls less likely as well so there chances are slim

Jump to: