Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Alberta PC leadership race Reply with quote

(it looks like Kenney is going to have a race as there is now more candidates running for the pc leadership , current mla Richard starke and Donna Kennedy Glans a red tory and former mla )

Two more candidates join Alberta PC leadership race, reject Wildrose merger

Canadian Press
Written by
Canadian Press

Published
Thursday, September 29th, 2016

Photo: Alberta Progressive Conservative leadership aspirant Donna Kennedy-Glans. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Bill Graveland

EDMONTON — Two more candidates have launched campaigns to lead Alberta’s Progressive Conservatives.

Both Richard Starke and Donna Kennedy-Glans say their goal is to rebuild the party, not merge it with the Opposition Wildrose.

There are now four candidates running for the leadership, including Calgary lawyer Byron Nelson and former Conservative MP Jason Kenney.

Kenney is running on a platform to dissolve the party and merge it with the Wildrose to form a new conservative entity to defeat Premier Rachel Notley’s NDP.

Starke and Kennedy-Glans say the way forward is to rebuild bridges with party members and centrist voters.

Starke is the PC house leader and Kennedy-Glans is an oil industry consultant and former PC legislature member from Calgary.

https://ipolitics.ca/2016/09/29/two-more-candidates-join-alberta-pc-leadership-race-reject-wildrose-merger/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starke seeks Alberta PC leadership

By Tyler Marr, Lloydminster Meridian Booster

Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:02:43 MDT PM

Lloydminster - Vermilion MLA Dr. Richard Starke announced his intentions to seek the leadership of he Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta to a crowd of media at the Hampton Inn and Suites on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016 in Lloydminster, Alta. Tyler Marr/Lloydminster Meridian Booster/Postmedia Network

To a healthy crowd of media, Dr. Richard Starke announced his intentions to seek the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party Thursday morning.

For months, the Lloydminster - Vermilion MLA had been expressing serious consideration around entering the leadership race, and citing encouragement from Albertans across the province, he was excited to lay out his vision for the party and the future of the province.

“They said they liked what I brought to the table in terms on some of the characteristics that I talked about with an emphasis on doing politics in a way that is principled, ethical and respectful,” Starke said, while speaking to the media after his announcement at the Hampton Inn in Lloydminster.

“People appreciate that approach, and perhaps it is not an approach we see that much anymore in political life, but I see it is something people are looking for.”

He spoke to how he had been canvassing the province since October of last year, speaking with constituency members across the province, asking them hard questions about the future of the party and the direction they wished to see the party take.

“The message I got back, very clearly, was we would like to see you pursue the leadership.”

During his four years in Alberta legislature, Starke has held a number of roles as a cabinet minister, served as the chair for the Rural Health Services review and for the past 16 months, he was the PC caucus house leader.

In his announcement, Starke made a note to bringing back the Alberta advantage, saying Alberta was a place where people could dream big and set out ambitious goals which resulted in an unprecedented period of economic expansion.

He also called upon the likes of Peter Lougheed and Tom Chambers, both prominent members of the PC party, which has stood since 1905.

“People want their Alberta back,” he said, saying he was not prepared to stand by and let the current government make unprecedented changes to the province.

Starke also spoke to how the province has been exporting jobs to other provinces and losing its competitive edge.

“There are businesses who are considering expansion, and they are considering expansion on the Saskatchewan side rather than Alberta. You have to start asking yourself why this is happening and that is a concern I have.”

He further commented on what he believed set him apart from the other names which have come forward; Calgary lawyer Byron Nelson, Calgary MLA Donna Kennedy-Glans and former Conservative MP Jason Kenney.

“I am currently a sitting member. Which is important because we want our leader to be in the legislature asking difficult questions of this current government and holding them to account,” he said.

He also made mention of his 30 yeas of business experience, saying he understood the struggles and challenges which come with operating a business.

“I understand the challenges on both sides and what struggles they are facing.”

Most notably, Jason Kenney has spoken to his desire for unity between the Wildrose and PC party, in an effort to “unite the right” and take back the legislature in 2019.

Starke did not share this idea, instead, saying his goal was to unite Alberta under a “progressive conservative banner, a centrist party which reflects their values and their principals.”

“That is the vision I am espousing to people. That clearly is what members of the PC party wanted their leaders to go about doing.”

Next, Starke said, he will be making his way across the province to continue engagement with a number of constituency associations. He also made note of the new delegate selection process the leadership race will be put through placing emphasis on each of the 87 ridings across the province.

“I think it is a very democratic way (to select) and I really supported it in May at the AGM. I have already made contact with dozens of the associations and intend to continue to do that.”

The leadership campaign will begin in October with the vote for leadership taking place March of 2017.

http://www.meridianbooster.com.....leadership
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron Nelson to run for Alberta PC party leadership, but not to unite the right

Calgary lawyer says he wants to restore Alberta 'to the place of opportunity that it once was'

CBC News Posted: Sep 27, 2016 11:36 AM MT| Last Updated: Sep 27, 2016 12:09 PM MT

Calgary lawyer Byron Nelson has announced he will run against former Alberta cabinet minister Donna Kennedy-Glans and former MP Jason Kenney for the PC party leadership.

And then there were three.

A Calgary trial lawyer announced Tuesday that he will seek the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative party.

Byron Nelson is running against seasoned Tory politicians Jason Kenney and Donna Kennedy-Glans.

While Kenney has made it clear that if he is elected the next leader of the Alberta PC's that he would unite the right, Nelson does not "see a formal merger of parties in the future."

"I'm running for leader because I want to see us focus on restoring Alberta to the place of opportunity that it once was," he said.

Bryon Nelson PC leadership
Byron Nelson says he's been a member of the PC party for 25 years. (Dan McGarvey/CBC)

Though Nelson acknowledges that he doesn't have the same name recognition as the other candidates, it's not something that "overly concerns" him.

"I've been a member for 25 years — I've been primarily a volunteer for 25 years — so I've met a lot of people," Nelson told reporters at a news conference.

​Nelson was the PC candidate for Calgary-Bow in the 2015 provincial election. He lost to NDP candidate Deborah Drever.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3780823
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Kennedy-Glans to run for leadership of Alberta PC party

Conservative MP Jason Kenney is the only other person so far in the leadership race

The Canadian Press Posted: Sep 08, 2016 3:29 PM MT| Last Updated: Sep 09, 2016 10:30 AM MT

Donna Kennedy-Glans says she's excited about entering a leadership race that will culminate with a vote by delegates on March 18, 2017.

A former member of the legislature from Calgary says she's going to vie for the leadership of the Alberta Progressive Conservative party.

Donna Kennedy-Glans says she's excited about entering the race that will culminate with a vote by delegates on March 18, 2017.

She says some of the decisions made by the NDP government are putting Alberta in a hard place to navigate and a course correction is needed quickly.

"I've been living in this province for a long time and I don't think I've ever seen the level of frustration and hopelessness," she told CBC's The Homestrech. "Watching, in particular, young people talk about leaving the province, that's highly motivational for me.

She said she wants to win back Wildrose party supporters. "A lot of those people, I think would be comfortable in a Progressive Conservative party. Their choices had a lot to do with governance."

Conservative MP Jason Kenney is the only other person so far in the leadership race, which officially begins on Oct. 1. Kennedy-Glans was an associate minister in Alison Redford's cabinet, but resigned and left the Tory caucus in March 2014.

She said at the time that the party's inability to create change and a culture of entitlement led to her departure.

She said she doesn't believe Kenney's unite-the-right campaign is needed, describing it as a federal model that won't work in Alberta.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3753973
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna Kennedy-Glans launches campaign for Alberta PC leadership

Kennedy-Glans said she wants to change Alberta’s course before it’s too late

Jennifer Friesen / For Metro

Kennedy-Glans previously served as MLA for Calgary-Varsity until 2015, in the past she was a lawyer for TransCanada and vice-president of Nexen Inc.

By: Josie Lukey For Metro Published on Thu Sep 29 2016

Former Alberta PC MLA Donna Kennedy-Glans said after seeing “profound changes” in Alberta reflected in the community around her, she is deeply worried the province is changing in the wrong direction.

As a result, standing in front of Euprohia Cafe in northwest Calgary Thursday morning, Kennedy-Glans officially launched her campaign for the leadership of the PC Party of Alberta.

In order to change Alberta's course, Kennedy-Glans first pledged to lead the renewal of the PC party through a five-point plan:

◾Win the PC nomination
◾Rebuild relationships through inviting back Progressive Conservatives turned off from the party in the past
◾Listening and learning from Constituency Associations and working with them to build campaign teams and finances
◾Be an effective opposition
◾Win the provincial election

Kennedy-Glans said she will be talking more about her ideas for Alberta in the coming weeks, but the five-point plan offered a starting point to discuss and identify campaign priorities.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/c.....rship.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Kenney wins endorsement of PC MLA Mike Ellis

By James Wood, Postmedia
First posted: Friday, September 16, 2016 07:15 AM MDT

JAson Kenney
Calgary MP Jason Kenney. (Postmedia file)

Jason Kenney has won a significant endorsement from within Tory ranks as Progressive Conservative MLA Mike Ellis said Thursday he’s backing the MP’s bid to win the PC leadership.

Ellis and Kenney will announce the endorsement in Ellis’s Calgary-West riding on Friday morning.

Kenney’s run for the PC leadership on a platform of uniting with the Wildrose in a potential new “Conservative Party of Alberta” has raised the alarm among some Tories who see Kenney as dismantling the party that governed the province for more than four decades before losing to the NDP in 2015.

But in an interview Thursday, Ellis said his decision was based on what he’s hearing from the public.

“The message has been very, very clear to me, like crystal clear, which is we cannot have a second term of the NDP,”said the former Calgary police officer, who was first elected in a 2014 byelection.

“Secondly, we have to unify under a common sense, respectful conservative party going into 2019. And Jason Kenney of course has been an advocate of unification. So to me, I’m listening to my constituents.”

Ellis said he did not know Kenney personally beforehand but liked what he heard during a four-hour conversation where he grilled him about his views.

In a statement, Kenney said he was honoured by Ellis’s endorsement.

“He has always been a leader in our community, and I believe that today he is putting Albertans first by advancing the cause of unity.”

Of the nine members of the PC caucus, Ellis has been seen as the most open to the idea of uniting the right provincially.

He and Wildrose MLA Derek Fildebrandt hosted a pub night last December where they invited conservatives of all stripes to talk politics, including the future of the two parties.

But Ellis said this spring he believed Wildrose only wanted unity on its own terms and was insincere in its overtures.

Now, however, he believes Kenney’s approach can work.

The Conservative MP for Calgary Midnapore, who will resign his seat next week, has said that if he wins the leadership in next March’s delegated convention he will approach Wildrose for talks. If the two parties can agree to come together, the terms will be put to the membership of each party for a vote.

“The history of the Wildrose, the vast majority of them were all PC members at one point. When you put the policies of both parties together … about 80 per cent is virtually the same,” said Ellis, who believes other PC MLAs could ultimately back Kenney.

“Egos, arrogance, all need to be put aside.”

While Kenney’s plan has caused consternation among some Tories, a former Edmonton MLA organizing for the MP has tried to offer reassurance about his commitment to the PCs.

An email sent Wednesday to some former and current Tory members of the legislature from an account belonging to David Dorward states: “Jason is committed to the PC party. If the members reject unification, so be it, he will lead (the party) into the 2019 election.”

Dorward’s email also says that if Kenney loses the party leadership vote he will still run for a seat in the legislature under the PC banner.

In the email, Dorward said the statements were in response to questions posed by former PC MLA Thomas Lukaszuk — one of Kenney’s fiercest critics in the party.

In an interview, Lukaszuk said he wants clarification on Kenney’s goals and aims.

“To me, it’s very presumptive and entitled for one to assume that he is going to win the leadership of the PC party, and then also get the support to merge the two parties,” said Lukaszuk, who has previously called for Kenney to be blocked from contesting the leadership.

“If it doesn’t happen, I want to know if he (Kenney) is committed to the province of Alberta.”

With files from The Canadian Press

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016.....mike-ellis
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is also another candidate interested although he might not have enough money to run for the position )

Devon councillor announces intention to run for PC leadership

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:56:30 MDT PM

Devon town Coun. Michael Laveck announced his intention to run for the vacant PC leadership role in Alberta. He is now attempting to raise the necessary funds to make the run possible. File photo

Alex Boates

devondispatch.news@sunmedia.ca

About two months ago, Town of Devon Coun. Michael Laveck started considering a run at the Alberta PC party leadership.

He brushed the idea off at the time, but when names like Jason Kenney and Donna Kennedy-Glans started coming up for the role he didn’t like what he saw, which he considered to be the same old thing for the party.

“I didn’t want to see the party go down that road,” Laveck commented.

So as of this past Monday, Laveck issued a press release stating his intention to make a run at the leadership role. However the next step could be a challenging one, as he now needs to raise the $50,000 needed to enter the race, and there isn’t a whole lot of time. $20,000 will need to be raised by September 25, with the remaining $30,000 needed by October 1.

A Go Fund Me page has been set up for Laveck in order to raise the necessary funds. Laveck explained that for those who donate to his potential campaign, he’ll be able to refund the money to his donors if he is unable to raise the amount needed. That way there’s no risk in possibly contributing for nothing.

At press time, Laveck’s page had raised $350. “It’s a small start, but the joys of being an Albertan is we don’t shy away from any challenges,” Laveck remarked.

When asked about the issues facing Albertans today, Laveck mentioned the economy first and foremost. As someone who promotes himself as the average Albertan, Laveck said he has felt the sting of the recession just as many other Albertans have.

“I feel the pain of the average person, I worry about my monthly bills and how I’m going to pay them, I’ve seen and felt what the average person is dealing with,” he explained, adding he feels that kind of perspective is exactly what the PC party of Alberta needs in its next leader.

In addition to the economy, Laveck also wants to look at the province on a social level. He explained the definition of a typical family has changed. “We try to keep the typical nuclear family and say that’s the standard family, but really it’s not anymore,” he said.

Laveck explained he has personal ties to the LGBTQ and polyamorous communities. He said he has friends who are gay, lesbian and transgender, and that he himself is a practicing member of the polyamorous community.

When asked if such a personal announcement might raise a few eyebrows, Laveck said it’s all about people being properly educated.

“The thing is about most of the alternative lifestyles that people see ... the majority of people don’t actually know ... the true definition of what they are,” Laveck explained.

“Most of them don’t understand the ethics behind these different relationships. I think that’s the thing, there’s a lot of education that has to be done ... that is something I’ve noticed.”

Laveck said he feels it’s important for people to know more about different lifestyles, as a lack of knowledge can sometimes bring with it fear and resentment.

As for the current government of Alberta, Laveck admitted he does like a few things they are doing as far as the environment is concerned, however he has many issues with the way the Notley government has been handling key issues, such as the proposed Energy East Pipeline project.

Laveck explained he has met with some of the mayors from Quebec, and while a couple have strong opposition the pipeline, Laveck said many of them don’t mind the idea.

“I think with enough pressure Notley could get the pipeline through Quebec, but she’s treading the waters a little bit too softly,” Laveck stated, adding that as premier this would be something he would work hard towards getting done.

“The people I’ve talked to ... do agree that the pipeline is an essential part of the Canadian economy.”

Laveck said his love of politics began when, as a high schooler, he job shadowed premier Ralph Klein.

Laveck recalled Klein telling him he had a lot of energy, and how he should use that energy to affect change within the system.

“After he told me that, it changed my life,” Laveck commented.

Laveck then mentored under MLA Don Sparrow from 1983-1993, watching him go through an election and seeing first hand how politics really worked.

“He taught me a lot about how politics works, on a day-to-day basis,” Laveck remarked.

He mentioned some advice Sparrow gave him back in those days. “If I make a decision, make sure that decision is for the people and not for yourself,” Laveck recalled. And that’s advice he’s lived by as a town councillor in Devon.

“A lot of times when I make a decision, even if I don’t fully agree with it but I know the people, that’s what they truly want, then I will work with that.”

Laveck said he won’t need to step down as a Devon councillor for now, a position he has held for six years now. However he will have to set some of his board appointments aside. His role as councillor will be modified as they reach certain steps in the campaign process.

Laveck explained he feels he’s a great candidate for the job because he brings a fresh perspective with experience.

“I have experience, I’ve seen different things, I’ve done different businesses, I’ve had different careers, I’ve been in the oil industry, I’ve been in construction, I’ve been in the fire department ... I have seen many different parts of Alberta,” Laveck said, adding one job in particular took him across many of Alberta’s municipalities which gave him a good feel of, and respect for, the province’s diversity.

Laveck said he realizes the PC party of Alberta took a hit in the last provincial election, and that the party needs to be built up again to what it once was.

“I want to make the PC party ... I want to say great, but first we have to make it good,” he commented.

“Let’s make it a good party first, and then we can raise it up to the next level.”

http://www.devondispatch.ca/20.....leadership
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Kenney succeeds in this race, unites the right and that Rona Ambrose takes over the new party.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I hope Kenney succeeds in this race, unites the right and that Rona Ambrose takes over the new party.

I don't know if Ambrose has any provincial interests although she might be a good fit for the job .
what stands out is how horrible some of the alternatives to Kenney are , like Donna Kennedy-Glans and Sandra Jensen , both I wouldn't be surprised if when they lose jump to the provincial liberals where they'd be a better fit . and this Bryon Nelson lawyer from Calgary doesn't even have a seat and lost his bid for one last election against ndp candidate Deborah Drever who is seen as one of the most inexperienced and worst ndp mla's , if he couldn't beat her I'm a little worried .
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alberta PCs launch leadership race in Lethbridge

Contenders for the party leadership include Jason Kenney, Richard Starke, Donna Kennedy-Glans, and Byron Nelson

The Canadian Press

October 1, 2016

Alberta Conservative MP Jason Kenney arrives at an event announcing he will be seeking the leadership of Alberta’s Progressive Conservative party in Calgary, Alta., Wednesday, July 6, 2016. (Jeff McIntosh/CP)

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — The race to determine the next leader of Alberta’s Progressive Conservative party officially kicks off Saturday night.

The party will launch the campaign at an event in Lethbridge, with the leader picked at a delegated convention in Calgary on March 18.

Progressive Conservative House leader Richard Starke and Donna Kennedy-Glans, a former PC MLA, announced their candidacies this week.

Former Conservative MP Jason Kenney and Calgary lawyer Byron Nelson are also running.

The party has been without a permanent leader for about 1.5 years.

The last leader, former premier Jim Prentice, announced he was leaving politics after the PCs were defeated by the NDP in the May 2015 general election.

Calgary MLA Ric McIver has been serving as the interim leader.

The leadership campaign will focus not only on a new leader but also on the future of the party.

Kenney is running on a platform to dissolve the party and merge it with the Wildrose to form a new conservative coalition he says is critical to dethroning Premier Rachel Notley’s NDP.

The other three candidates say they will focus on rebuilding the party. Last spring, members voted to not merge with the Wildrose but to focus on repairing and revitalizing the organization.

The PCs are the third provincial party, with nine members in the 87-seat legislature.

The leadership candidates will hold a debate in early November at the party’s policy conference in Red Deer.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/ca.....ethbridge/
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( red tory Sandra Jansen has joined the pc race in an effort to stop Kenney from uniting the right in alberta )

Calgary’s Sandra Jansen joins Alberta Progressive Conservative leadership race

By The Canadian Press — Oct 12 2016

EDMONTON — Calgary legislature member Sandra Jansen has joined the race to become the next leader of Alberta's Progressive Conservatives.

Jansen says she wants to focus on rebuilding the party as a modern, forward-looking team, while not abandoning principles simply to defeat the NDP in the next election.

Jansen joins four other contenders in the race to replace former premier Jim Prentice.

Fellow MLA Richard Starke, former MLA Donna Kennedy-Glans, former Calgary MP Jason Kenney, and Calgary lawyer Byron Nelson have already announced they are running.

The fate of the party is also up in the air.

Kenney is running on a platform to dissolve the PCs and merge with the Wildrose to create a new conservative coalition he says

http://www.nationalnewswatch.c....._5oREn2Zjp
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( I expect this race to get somewhat nasty now that she is in the race , its clear some in the alberta pc's are going all out to try and stop Kenney from winning this )

Calgary MLA Sandra Jansen enters PC leadership race

Five candidates now running for PC leadership

CBC News Posted: Oct 12, 2016 10:05 AM MT| Last Updated: Oct 12, 2016 10:05 AM MT

Sandra Jansen has finally entered the PC leadership race after months of speculation.

Calgary-North West MLA Sandra Jansen has finally made it official, announcing Wednesday she is running for the leadership of the Progressive Conservative party.

Jansen, an MLA since 2012, joins Jason Kenney, Richard Starke, Byron Nelson and Donna Kennedy-Glans in the race to fill the spot vacated by Jim Prentice after the PCs lost to the NDP in May 2015.

Jansen's candidacy was a poorly-kept secret. Several weeks ago strategist Stephen Carter let slip on a podcast that he was involved in her leadership bid.

Unlike Kenney, who wants to unite all conservatives under a single right-wing party, Jansen wants to keep the PC party intact. She has been critical of the Wildrose Party for being too socially conservative.

"In May, party members gave us an assignment. They overwhelmingly wanted us to rebuild this party and get it back on the right track," Jansen said in a news release.

"They wanted us to work on regaining the trust of Albertans so that we can deliver the pragmatic, centrist government that they deserve.

"They don't want us fixated on the fastest ways back to power, and they don't want us to ignore our principles simply to defeat the NDP."

The party will choose its next leader in a delegated convention on March 18.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3801480
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Jensen really be described as a Red Tory? I don't think Tory can be used to describe her.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Can Jensen really be described as a Red Tory? I don't think Tory can be used to describe her.

well I didn't know what to describe her as , liberal ? might be more fitting , she's definity not conservative and was previously a CTV anchor , think it was mentioned on rebel ? or somewhere she supported federal liberals last election if I recall right
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a good video here about just how awful this mla truly is , she should just join the alberta liberals and save everyone the misery

http://www.therebel.media/5_mo.....rship_race

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: