Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Tim Hudak to resign as mpp Niagara West Glanbrook Reply with quote

( really this should of happened long ago , I never understood how he could stay on as an mpp with brown as the new leader , either way I wish him the best at his new job )

Tim Hudak quitting provincial politics to lead Ontario Real Estate Association

Progressive Conservative Hudak, who has had 21 years at Queen’s Park, said his last day as the MPP for Niagara West-Glanbrook will be Sept. 16

in June 2014, Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak announces that he will be stepping down as party leader after being defeated in the Ontario election.

in June 2014, Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak announces that he will be stepping down as party leader after being defeated in the Ontario election. (Nathan Denette / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

By Rob FergusonQueen's Park Bureau

Tues., Aug. 9, 2016

After 21 years at Queen’s Park and a stint as leader of the Progressive Conservatives, Tim Hudak is quitting provincial politics to become chief executive officer of the Ontario Real Estate Association.

Hudak, who served as a cabinet minister in the administrations of former premiers Mike Harris and Ernie Eves, said his last day as the MPP for Niagara West-Glanbrook will be Sept. 16.

“When a really good opportunity comes along, you grab it,” said Hudak, who was ousted as PC leader by MPPs unhappy with the party’s campaign in the 2014 election that saw Premier Kathleen Wynne vault to a majority.

Hudak had promised to cut 100,000 public sector jobs, a controversial vow that cost his party one-third of its seats and led to recriminations in the Tory caucus over an approach viewed as too confrontational.

Despite the setback, Hudak stayed involved as an MPP, pushing several private members’ bills, including one to ease government restrictions on boutique distilleries.

PC Leader Patrick Brown thanked Hudak for his years of service.

“First elected in 1995 at age 27, Tim has been a stalwart in the Ontario PC Party and the Niagara Region community,” Brown said in a statement.

“All of us will miss his advice and experience around the caucus table

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/08/09/tim-hudak-quitting-provincial-politics-to-lead-ontario-real-estate-association.html
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hudak to resign as MPP on Sept. 16 to take real estate job

Keith Leslie

TORONTO — The Canadian Press

Published Tuesday, Aug. 09, 2016 1:04PM EDT

Politicians of all stripes praised Tim Hudak on Tuesday after the former Progressive Conservative leader announced he’s quitting the legislature to become CEO of the Ontario Real Estate Association.

Hudak was first elected at age 27 in the Mike Harris-led Tory sweep that defeated the one-term New Democrat government of Bob Rae in 1995.

Four years later he found himself at the cabinet table as minister of tourism and then minister of consumer and business services.

“I ran because I believed the province desperately needed change and I wanted to make a difference,” Hudak said in a statement announcing his resignation as the MPP for Niagara West-Glanbrook effective Sept. 16.

“Every step along the way I have been guided by a clear sense of purpose: smaller more focused government, a strong economy and greater opportunity for all.”

His wife, Deb Hutton, was a senior adviser to Harris when the two met and married.

Hudak, 48, was elected PC leader in 2009, but failed to defeat the Liberal government in the 2011 and 2014 elections, even though the Conservatives had big leads in public opinion polls heading into each campaign.

He came under widespread criticism even from many Conservatives in the 2014 campaign when he promised to fire 100,000 public sector workers if the Tories got elected, an issue many blamed for their defeat.

Hudak emerged as a stronger MPP after stepping down as leader following the 2014 defeat, championing the sharing economy and more liberalized liquor laws, but never seemed to see eye-to-eye with new PC Leader Patrick Brown.

He’s also been hosting a radio talk show on weekends that is syndicated in several Ontario cities.

“These past 21 years have been tremendously rewarding, and I will miss my colleagues in all three parties,” Hudak said. “I want to thank all of them, past and present, for their friendship, leadership and advice.”

Brown issued a statement thanking Hudak for his public service.

“I was moved by his compassionate and emotional speech in the legislature in opposition to the Liberal government’s callous cuts to autism therapy,” said Brown.

Premier Kathleen Wynne said she congratulated Hudak on his new job when the two spoke on the phone Tuesday morning.

“As a member of the legislature, a cabinet minister, party leader and vocal champion for the people of his community, Tim has always served with passion and with purpose,” said Wynne. “It is a record he can reflect proudly upon.”

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath praised Hudak for “his sharp wit and his keen sense of humour” in the legislature.

“While Tim will be the first to agree that we rarely saw eye to eye on matters of policy, I have nothing but respect for his commitment to his constituents in Niagara West-Glanbrook and to his party during his time as leader,” said Horwath.

Wynne has six months after Hudak resigns to call a byelection in his riding. There is also a vacancy in the Ottawa-Vanier riding created when former attorney general Madeleine Meilleur resigned in June, and that vote must be called by December.

There is already a byelection set for Sept. 1 in Scarborough-Rouge River to replace former Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon, who quit suddenly last March with no explanation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....e31330769/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hudak was a wonderful MPP,
However it appears that Patrick Brown is directly or indirectly culling the ranks of the old PC Party, and given their record I can't blame him.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
However it appears that Patrick Brown is directly or indirectly culling the ranks of the old PC Party, and given their record I can't blame him.

there is no doubt a changing of the guard taking places , 2 big names who once lead or tried to lead party Christine Elliott and now Tim Hudak have left and there is likely to be a couple other mpp's not run for re-election when looking thru the age of ont pc caucus so some more new blood will be coming to queens park
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

there is no doubt a changing of the guard taking places , 2 big names who once lead or tried to lead party Christine Elliott and now Tim Hudak have left and there is likely to be a couple other mpp's not run for re-election when looking thru the age of ont pc caucus so some more new blood will be coming to queens park

Having Klees and Elliott in caucus after Hudak won was on the same level of political mistake of Stephane Dion allowing Rae and Ignaiteff to stay in caucus after the 2006 Liberal Convention. Having a built in replacement within caucus that already has a ground game in place is never good for party unity.

I gained a world of respect for Patrick Browns political savvy when I watched Garfield Dunlop (who had trashed Patrick Brown during the leadership campaign) appear on stage beside Patrick Brown to resign his seat so Brown could run. A riding Dunlop had been MPP of since 1999.

It was the political equivalent of a public flogging and I think Brown made a clear point to the caucus with it.

Having Elliott and Hudak step down slowing over the course of the Liberals mandate seems politically convenient and at least on the surface makes it pretty clear that the decks are being mopped.

It will be interesting to see who Brown can attract to the party;
There are certainly no shortage of former CPC MPs who could be good fits.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( some big names are interested in replacing Tim Hudak in Niagara west glanbrook )

Dykstra seeks Niagara West Tory nomination

By Maryanne Firth, St. Catharines Standard

Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:19:09 EDT PM

Rick Dykstra.

Rick Dykstra has set his sights on Queen’s Park.

The former St. Catharines MP announced Saturday he is seeking the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party nomination in Niagara West–Glanbrook.

The seat will be left vacant Sept. 16 upon the official resignation of longtime MPP Tim Hudak, who announced his retirement from politics earlier this month.

Dykstra, the party’s current president, called the vacancy a “real opportunity” to help Leader Patrick Brown “ensure that we continue to put together a team that will be able to win government in 2018.”

“I think, from a Niagara perspective, this is the first step toward helping him do that and I certainly look forward to the opportunity.”

It was after reflecting on his presidential role, and following a discussion with his family, that Dykstra decided to put his name forward.

“I guess retirement doesn’t sit well with me,” he said with a laugh, adding his family is supportive of his lifetime commitment to public service.

With 10 years in Ottawa under his belt, as well as experience at both the municipal and provincial levels, as a councillor and staff member respectively, Dykstra is confident he can deliver on behalf of area constituents.

“I think I can speak to any of the levels or orders of government from a very knowledgeable perspective,” the 50-year-old St. Catharines resident said. “I know the drivers that make things move to accomplish what you need to. I think I proved that as a federal member of parliament in terms of delivering on behalf of the Niagara region.”

He served two terms as a St. Catharines city councillor from 1991 to 1997 and held leadership roles at Queen’s Park from 1997 to 2002, including chief of staff for then-social services minister John Baird and director of caucus and public relations for then-premier Mike Harris.

Most recently, Dykstra served three terms as St. Catharines MP. He was defeated in the 2015 election by Liberal newcomer Chris Bittle.

At the federal level, “you don’t delve as deep into the actual practical application of how moneys are spent, how they’re allocated and what type of services you have to deliver, such as education and health care, the running of municipalities across the province,” he said.

At the provincial level, however, there’s “more hands-on responsibility,” which Dykstra wants the chance to take on.

As for issues Dykstra would strive to focus on, he said West Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Grimsby is in need of attention and there are infrastructure needs within Niagara the province needs to address.

“I think I certainly have the experience to offer and the know how as to how to push, pull and move the levers of government to make those things happen for the community.”

With riding and boundary changes on the horizon, Dykstra said his west St. Catharines residence will be just across the street from the new Niagara West boundary come 2018.

The riding currently includes Grimsby, Pelham, West Lincoln, Lincoln and part of Hamilton.

Though he doesn’t currently live in Niagara West–Glanbook, Dykstra said he’s all too familiar with its communities, having grown up in Beamsville and Grimsby.

He has not yet touched based with Hudak about his announcement, but suspects the pair will have a conversation in the near future.

Once the resignation is deemed official, Premier Kathleen Wynne will have six months to decide whether to call a byelection.

Dykstra is hopeful a decision will be made “sooner rather than later so the people of the riding have a representative in the legislature and not a vacant seat for very long.”

His quest for the nomination will not have an impact on his role as party president.

Grimsby regional Coun. Tony Quirk has also announced his intentions to seek the party’s nomination.

http://www.niagarafallsreview......nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( wynne is spending a couple days touring the Niagara area and riding of Niagara west Glanbrook specifically , apparently the liberals have nominated a candidate earlier than expected and before the pc's a sure sign of a coming by-election , does anyone actually think wynne and her candidate Vicky Ringuette have a chance here ? )

Oct 06, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Wynne making several Niagara stops today

Holding 'fireside chat' at Greater Niagara Chamber event

Premier Kathleen Wynne will be the keynote speaker at the Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce’s Niagara Business Leadership series on Tuesday at the Scotiabank Convention Centre.

Niagara This Week - Niagara Falls

NIAGARA — Premier Kathleen Wynne will be making several stops in Niagara today, including a 'fireside chat' as a part of the Greater Niagara Chamber of Commerce’s Niagara Business Leadership series.

Wynne will address chamber members at the Scotiabank Convention Centre touting her government’s economic plan for the province, where she is expected to key in on initiatives concerning electricity, skills training, low-carbon innovation and infrastructure.

After her address, the Premier will take part in a “fireside chat” and field questions from people in attendance.

Wynne's first stop in the region was at 9:30 a.m. at the Vineland Research and Innovation Centre where she participated in a roundtable discussion with representatives from Ontario’s horticulture sector.

Following the chamber event, Wynne is scheduled to visit Glynn A. Green Public School in Fonthill to an announcement alongside Associate Minister Naidoo-Harris.

Later, she will be in West Niagara to deliver remarks at a meet and greet to celebrate the newly nominated candidate for Niagara West-Glanbrook, Vicky Ringuette. The event takes place 7 p.m. at Redstone Winery in Beamsville.

http://www.niagarathisweek.com.....ops-today/
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your remarks on how Brown in re-making the party are interesting.

Full disclosure: I was personally pleased to see Hudak challenge the government with the promise of austerity, even though it was obviously a major mistake. I am always optimistic about honesty in politics. I am prone to the feeling that others feel the same.

So I am sad to see Hudak go, and don't blame him. In fact, I wonder if he had persisted, and doubled down on his first take, and maintained the hard criticism of the spending, the Wynne government would be in even worse shape now.

There is something calm and measured about Brown. You get the feeling that he knows what he's doing. The Liberals, these days, seem to be smiling types that love the perks of the job and mean to have as much fun as possible while it goes on.

I hope he's seeing lots of people, and listening ...
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Full disclosure: I was personally pleased to see Hudak challenge the government with the promise of austerity, even though it was obviously a major mistake. I am always optimistic about honesty in politics. I am prone to the feeling that others feel the same.

Hudak's route forward was absolutely correct;
Unfortunately in a Province that allows indirect political advertising, going against every public sector Union is like spitting at rain.

The approach Hudak outlined is really the only path forward;
Ontario is posting huge deficits and has a massive debt, you can't continue to try and spend yourself rich. Sooner or later someone has to come in and claw back spending.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Bugs wrote:

Hudak's route forward was absolutely correct;
Unfortunately in a Province that allows indirect political advertising, going against every public sector Union is like spitting at rain.

The approach Hudak outlined is really the only path forward;
Ontario is posting huge deficits and has a massive debt, you can't continue to try and spend yourself rich. Sooner or later someone has to come in and claw back spending.

he had some good points last election it was just horribly explained to people and allowed for the media and unions to easily smear him over claims he'd cut jobs .

wynne of the other hand is completely delusional and thinks she can spend this way forever , even though debt is so massive , it makes no logical sense .

as for the by-election to replace hudak , the liberals appear to be trying to catch the pc's off guard as they haven't had nomination yet and not sure when its planned for ? but I honestly don't see wynne having much of a chance in this area .

Jump to: