Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Ontario AG Madeline Meilleur resigns as mpp Ottawa Vanier Reply with quote

( wynne is losing another mpp , not a big surprise as a cabinet shuffle is expected soon and this mpp has been in politics for many years and was not likely to run again but now forcing a second by-election in the urban Ottawa Vanier riding )

Ontario At‎torney General Madeleine Meilleur resigning from politics

Meilleur, who had come under fire for her handling of the SIU report into the death of Andrew Loku, was widely expected to be replaced in Premier Kathleen Wynne's upcoming cabinet shuffle.

In a statement, Meilleur said she wishes to spend more time with her family.

In a statement, Meilleur said she wishes to spend more time with her family. (Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star) | Order this photo

By Robert BenzieQueen's Park Bureau Chief

Thu., June 9, 2016

At‎torney General Madeleine Meilleur — one of the two longest serving ministers in the Liberal cabinet — is resigning from politics.

Meilleur, who is also francophone affairs minister, is stepping down immediately as Ottawa-Vanier MPP, which will likely trigger a summer byelection in conjunction with one being readied for Scarborough-Rouge River.

Her surprise departure comes as Premier Kathleen Wynne is set for a major shuffle of her cabinet next week.

‎The attorney general had come under fire in recent months for her handling of the Special Investigations Unit report into the Toronto police shooting of Andrew Loku last year.

Critics felt she did not appreciate the urgency of taking the unprecedented step of releasing the normally secret SIU report, but the Meilleur argued she was merely being methodical and cautious.

‎First elected provincially in 2003, the veteran lawyer also served more than a decade in Ottawa municipal politics.

“This was not an easy decision, but after 25 years I have reached a point in my life where I would like to spend more time with my family and be closer to home,” she said in a statement Thursday night, hours after the legislature broke for the summer.

Meilleur’s resignation will leave Jim Bradley, minister without portfolio, as the lone member to serve in all of Wynne’s and former premier Dalton McGuinty’s cabinets.

“I want to thank Premier Wynne and former Premier McGuinty for the trust they placed in me,” said Meilleur, a former community and social services and community safety and correctional services minister.

‎”I’m proud to have led the passage of laws promoting the social inclusion of persons with developmental disabilities, spearheaded efforts to introduce a new and strengthened Ontario Heritage Act, made sprinklers mandatory in retirement homes and vulnerable care occupancies, and undertaken a number of initiatives that have furthered access to justice across Ontario‎,” she said.

Wynne praised her long-time colleague for her “tireless work” in many areas.

‎”With her experience of 25 years in politics and several cabinet positions under her belt, Madeleine is a key member on our team and will be sorely missed by all,” the premier said in a separate statement.

‎”Madeleine has been a strong voice for Franco-Ontarians for over a decade and her tireless work to advance the interests of the francophone community will have a lasting impact in our province,” she said.

“From the Montfort Hospital to the successful celebrations of the 400th anniversary of the French presence in Ontario, Madeleine’s achievements will be remembered for a long time within and beyond the francophone community.”

Sources told the Star that Meilleur, one of the most gracious MPPs at Queen’s Park, has been coping with an illness in the family, which weighed heavily upon her.

Still, it was widely expected that Wynne was going to replace her as attorney general ‎in the cabinet shuffle in the wake of the SIU report debacle.

Meilleur initially left on the back burner the secret SIU report that cleared the unidentified Toronto officer who shot Loku last July.

The 45-year-old father-of-five from South Sudan was intoxicated and wielding a hammer when he charged at police after midnight in the hallway of his apartment at Eglinton Ave. W. and‎ Caledonia Ave.

Loku died after the still-‎unidentified officer shot him at the apartment complex leased by the Canadian Mental Health Association to provide affordable housing and services to people with mental illness.

The SIU concluded the officer had no choice but to shoot.

But Loku’s death sparked outrage and protests by Black Lives Matter, which led Meilleur to release the redacted SIU report — protecting the identities of police officers and witnesses — and to promise reforms.

She appointed ‎Justice Michael Tulloch, the first black judge on the Ontario Court of Appeal, to lead a review of police oversight, which will report back March 31.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/06/09/ontario-attorney-general-madeleine-meilleur-resigning-from-politics.html
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reevely: Madeleine Meilleur relinquishes the throne in Ottawa-Vanier

David Reevely
More from David Reevely

Published on: June 9, 2016 | Last Updated: June 9, 2016 10:37 PM EDT

Ontario Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur.

Madeleine Meilleur in the legislature. Dave Abel / Toronto Sun; Dave Abel

Local MPP Madeleine Meilleur, the province’s attorney general and arguably the most politically accomplished francophone woman in Ontario, is retiring.

Meilleur announced her departure Thursday evening, right as the legislature at Queen’s Park broke for the summer. Meilleur said she’ll stay on as attorney general until Premier Kathleen Wynne names a successor. When she leaves the cabinet, she’ll also resign as an MPP.

“This was not an easy decision, but after 25 years I have reached a point in my life where I would like to spend more time with my family and be closer to home,” Meilleur said in a written statement. “I have always been so proud to represent the people of Ottawa-Vanier, the most caring, diverse and vibrant community there is.”

East-side Ottawa is losing a great champion, said Coun. Mathieu Fleury.

“I’ve only ever looked up to her, her accomplishments and her efforts in our community and the support she has from everyone,” he said. “You can go politically or personally — she’s touched everything in the area.”

Meilleur has been in politics almost as long as Fleury has been alive.

“I think Madeleine has this feeling of — she’s your mom,” Fleury said. “When she speaks with me, she’s polite. But when she gets mad and she has something to say, she expresses it very clearly. You know where she stands, you know when she’s happy, you know when she’s unhappy. And that makes her very easy to work with.”

Born in a small town east of Maniwaki in 1948, Meilleur was once a nurse — just about every time she had a political event at the Montfort Hospital, she’d reminisce about training there — and then became a lawyer, before entering politics. Elected as a Vanier city councillor in the early 1990s, she rose through regional council and post-amalgamation city council before Dalton McGuinty tapped her as the party’s nominee in Ottawa-Vanier in 2003 as he looked forward to replacing a tapped-out Progressive Conservative government.

Long one of the safest Liberal seats in Ontario, Ottawa-Vanier had been held by Claudette Boyer — who’d been suspended from the Liberal caucus over attempts to get other people to take the blame when her husband hit the son of her predecessor, Bernard Grandmaître, with their car. McGuinty used his power as leader to appoint Meilleur as the Liberal candidate, bypassing a potentially nasty nomination battle.

She never let him down, winning with majorities in every election and being given increasingly powerful cabinet portfolios with nearly every shuffle. First she was culture minister, then responsible for community and social services, then corrections and policing, and finally justice.

As Ontario’s first francophone attorney general, she’s one of this province’s most accomplished francophone politicians.

She’s never had a major scandal, though she’s also overseen some significant ministries and not solved major problems. On her watch as corrections minister, Ontario’s jails didn’t get conspicuously better — her successor, Yasir Naqvi, is dealing with that now. As social services minister, she oversaw a rickety system for making welfare payments that overpaid recipients by hundreds of millions of dollars over many years. Most recently as attorney general, she claimed not to have read a key report on the police shooting of a black man in Toronto.

As Ottawa-Vanier’s MPP, she’s delivered on small projects — the Nouvelle Scène theatre’s total reconstruction is a triumph for her — but has also kept a new east-end bridge from being built anywhere near her riding even though growling tractor-trailers destroy Rideau Street and King Edward Avenue right in the middle of it.

Fleury credits her with advancing the study of a tunnel for trucks, though. She’s supported the Montfort and La Cité and the ByWard Market and efforts to clean up Montreal Road. “She’s always pushing us,” he said.

Throughout, Meilleur has successfully promoted francophone rights and services. “To the over 600,000 Franco-Ontarians, I want to say that because of the many things we have achieved together, the future looks brighter than ever for you in Ontario,” her retirement announcement said, rhyming off accomplishments such as the broader availability of services in French (boosted by more power for the province’s French-language services commissioner), greater independence for Télévision française de l’Ontario, and the declaration of an annual Franco-Ontarian Day in September.

It was also the first thing Wynne noted in acknowledging Meilleur’s departure: “I want to thank Madeleine Meilleur for her contributions at the cabinet table. Madeleine has been a strong voice for Franco-Ontarians for over a decade and her tireless work to advance the interests of the francophone community will have a lasting impact in our province,” the premier said.

Unlike some politicians, Meilleur has kept her personal life largely out of public view. She wed Hawkesbury hospital executive Marc LeBoutillier four years ago, her first marriage.

LeBoutillier has been in poor health recently.

Meilleur’s departure will likely touch off a savage fight to replace her as the Liberal nominee in Ottawa-Vanier, a situation complicated by the severe illness of the riding’s MP, Mauril Bélanger. Fleury and Tim Tierney are obvious potential successors, though Ottawa-Vanier’s traditional Liberal-friendliness could draw any number of contenders.

(Fleury said he’ll think about the possibility, after the shock has worn off.)

Meilleur is the second cabinet minister to announce a departure this week. Municipal Affairs Minister Ted McMeekin said he’d leave cabinet this summer, too, to make it easier for Wynne to name more female ministers.

With two years until the next provincial election and Liberal popularity flagging, Wynne wants to put a fresh face on her government and present Ontarians with new and younger ministers.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....awa-vanier
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottawa-Vanier is perhaps the safest Liberal riding anywhere;
Federally it and its predecessor riding have been Liberal since 1887.

Provincially this riding hasn't seen the Liberals secure less than 50% of the popular vote since prior to 1977.

Its one of those ridings that if the Liberals win with 45% of the popular vote is a huge deal for the opposition.

If the Ontario Liberal Braintrust feel that the Premier is on the outs;
This is the perfect riding to parachute a candidate that may potentially be a suitable replacement down the line.
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another mpp from Toronto is also leaving cabinet although he plans to stay on as an mpp for the time being although liberals would likely hold York west even if there was a by election , but I'd be surprised if he runs in next election )

Third Ontario Liberal MPP quits cabinet post ahead of impending shuffle

The Ontario MPP in charge of Seniors' Affairs is quitting his cabinet post

0 0 Posted on 6/10/2016 2:13 PM
by NEWSTALK 1010

MPP Mario Sergio Photo: Contributed

The Ontario MPP in charge of Seniors' Affairs is quitting his cabinet post. York West MPP Mario Sergio says he will step down as soon as a replacement is found. Sergio made the announcement through a written statement on Friday. "After much consideration and reflection with my family, I have come to the conclusion that the time to make some changes in my political life is now," Sergio says through the statement. "I believe it is time to make way for a new generation of great ideas." He is the third Ontario Liberal cabinet minister to resign ahead of an impending cabinet shuffle at Queen's Park. Sergio has served on cabinet since 2013. He plans to continue with his job as an MPP. - See more at:
http://www.newstalk1010.com/ne.....ZzEJk.dpuf
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Ottawa-Vanier is perhaps the safest Liberal riding anywhere;
Federally it and its predecessor riding have been Liberal since 1887.

Provincially this riding hasn't seen the Liberals secure less than 50% of the popular vote since prior to 1977.

Its one of those ridings that if the Liberals win with 45% of the popular vote is a huge deal for the opposition.

If the Ontario Liberal Braintrust feel that the Premier is on the outs;
This is the perfect riding to parachute a candidate that may potentially be a suitable replacement down the line.

of the Ottawa area ridings it is one of the safer ones , it includes the area to the east of the downtown , University of Ottawa , a lot of apartment and rental units , also includes the famous Byward market area of Ottawa .

the federal ndp actually did have a couple strong finishes in the riding in 2011 but also some other elections , although I'd be surprised if Ontario ndp ever managed to do as well . the provincial ndp in Ottawa hasn't done much in a while

voters are so tired of Kathleen Wynne and liberals , what I'd suspect well see in Ottawa Vanier is another close by-election like we saw in Ottawa west nepean in 2010 and Ottawa South 2013 ? , the pc's put up a strong fight in both those votes but ridings stayed liberal .
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was the little matter of the ... ummm ... police manslaughter that might have at least warranted a little bit of independent inquiry. But I guess, ever since Michael Bryant, anybody under the supervision of the AG should be able to get away with these things if the boss does it.

http://news.nationalpost.com/t.....ndrew-loku

Maybe the search committee could ponder that when casting about for a replacement.

In well run jurisdictions, the authorities protect the people ... but Ontario's different. Here, they're entitled to do what they need to, whether they need to or not. No questions asked.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( new forum poll from last week shows the pc's with a big lead , 46 pc to 32 liberals in eastern Ontario but that still might not be enough to take Ottawa Vanier , if even stayed liberal federally in 2011 when just about everything else went cpc or ndp but its likely to be much closer than in years past unless liberals find a star candidate seen as not partisan , things are also tied in 416 to my surprise )

News Local

The Forum Research survey finds the Patrick Brown-led PCs would win a slim majority

By Debora Van Brenk, The London Free Press

Friday, June 3, 2016 8:52:49 EDT AM

Kathleen Wynne

Kathleen Wynne

Ontario’s Progressive Conservatives would supplant the ruling Liberals to form the government if an election were held today, a new survey suggests.

The Forum Research poll says the Liberals, with just 30-per-cent voter support in the survey conducted Tuesday, would be turfed as about 40 per cent of voter support leans to the PCs.

The New Democrats, with 21-per-cent support, would finish third.

Cast across Ontario’s 107 ridings, that would translate to a projected 57 seats for the PCs — a slim majority.

The Liberals would win 26 seats and the NDP, 24 seats.

The Forum survey puts the Tories on top in every region of the province, with a razor-thin edge on the Liberals in their Toronto-area stronghold.

Perhaps not surprisingly in Southwestern Ontario, where the Tories hold the most seats, the Liberals and Premier Kathleen Wynne fare worst in the poll among the three parties and their leaders.

The Liberals have been in power since 2003.

“Most governments after the second term are on thin ice. By that time they’ve made enemies, (voters) are bored of them or tired of them,” said pollster Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research Inc.

“The Liberals are in this mid-term slump and it’s an open question about whether they can snap out of it.”

From their sell-off of a majority stake in Hydro One, to its introduction of a new sex-education curriculum, “they’ve got to think long and hard about how to find a path from where they are now,” Bozinoff said of the Liberals.

But political scientist Peter Woolstencroft said opinions this far out shouldn’t be seen as predictors and he noted that the results of the two previous elections didn’t reflect early polling.

“The bottom line is it’s early days because we know campaigns matter,” said Woolstencroft, a veteran Queen’s Park watcher and professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo.

He said the Liberals have a low-trump card in which they can claim to be good money managers. And while he believes their record on that has been “lousy,” they may benefit ultimately from an improved economy in the next election in 2018.

“For most people, the question is, ‘Are things getting better and are things likely to get better?’ That would be the high-trump card.”

The only time the Liberals have seen worse Forum poll numbers since Wynne won a majority government two years ago was in February, just after the provincial budget.

“Looking at it now, the momentum will be with the Conservatives, unless they shoot themselves in the foot,” Bozinoff said.

The Tories hold seven of the London region’s 10 seats but have been shut out of power since 2003.

The poll identifies a big gap in perceptions of the leaders, even by party faithful. Wynne and rookie PC leader Patrick Brown both have lower approval ratings than their parties, while New Democrat leader Andrea Horwath polls higher than her party.

Wynne has the support of just one-fifth of the electorate and three of every 10 Liberal voters don’t approve of her, the poll suggests.

Brown, only a year on the job, fares only slightly better, with the approval of only one-quarter of voters, and a high percentage of voters – more than half – who don’t know enough about him to rate him. “He’s got the greatest room for growth potential,” Bozinoff said.

Woolstencroft said Brown is still trying to become better known and has to work hard to “find a plausible political alternative” to Liberal economic policies.

“It’s very difficult for opposition party leaders to get attention because Ontarians are notoriously not interested” in them between elections, Woolstencroft said.

Asked who’d make the best premier, almost half the voters surveyed chose chose none of the Big Three leaders or said they didn’t know.

Most troubling to the Liberals is likely their weakness in the 416 and 905 area codes, their traditional Toronto-area fortress, Bozinoff said. “If they can’t win here, they can’t win anywhere.”

About one-third of respondents who voted Liberal last time said they’d bail on the party next time — half to the Tories, half to the NDP. That split would leave the Liberals with few policy options to regain those voters, Bozinoff said.

“So, the centre is melting and that’s the disaster scenario for the Liberals,” he said.

About the survey:

— Forum Research Inc. surveyed a random sampling of 1,172 voting-age Ontarians by phone Tuesday.

— Results of the poll are considered accurate to within three percentage points, plus or minus, 19 times out of 20.

THE POLL:

Full results of the poll are here.

THE BREAKDOWN

Voter support by region in the survey:

Ontario-wide: PC, 40; Liberal, 30; NDP, 21; Green, 7; other, 2

By region:

Southwest: PC, 43; Liberal, 22; NDP, 28; Green, 6; other, 1

Eastern: PC, 46; Liberal, 32; NDP, 14; Green, 6; other, 2

416 area code: PC, 36; Liberal, 35; New Democrat, 20; Green, 7; other, 1

905 area code: PC, 42; Liberal, 32; New Democrat, 17; Green, 7; other, 1

GTA: PC, 40; Liberal, 33; NDP, 18; Green, 7; other, 1

North: PC, 30; Liberal, 27; NDP, 29; Green, 10; other, 2

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/06.....m-majority
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( its bizarre that a by-election wasn't called in Ottawa Vanier , I also noticed when searching online the liberals possible star candidate city councillor Mathieu fluery won't run so liberals without a candidate here maybe that's why ? , a pc mpp has also said it might be cause there waiting for liberal staffers to arrive come fall who might be able to help them but also be tory staffers by then so that might not work out as well is they think )

Mathieu Fleury won't run for vacant Ottawa-Vanier seat

David Reevely
More from David Reevely

Published on: July 6, 2016 | Last Updated: July 6, 2016 8:29 PM EDT

Ottawa Coun. Mathieu Fleury is one politician who is at least trying to understand the scope of the problem, writes Kelly Egan.

Mathieu Fleury at the council table in Ottawa City Hall, where he's staying. Pat McGrath / Postmedia

Madeleine Meilleur’s seat at Queen’s Park is vacant and Coun. Mathieu Fleury won’t try to fill it, he says.

The former attorney general officially resigned as the MPP for Ottawa-Vanier on June 30, after giving notice earlier in the month that she’d be retiring. On her way out, she touted Fleury, the city councillor for Rideau-Vanier, as a superbly qualified successor. She had the same job before jumping to provincial politics in 2003.

Fleury’s barely 30 but in his second term as a councillor. In his first election, he squeaked past veteran incumbent Georges Bédard. Then in 2014, he handily beat two strong challengers.

He kicked the tires on the provincial job, saying publicly he was considering it and had talked with other politicians about its demands and the challenges of commuting between Ottawa and Toronto. In the middle of it, the Rideau Street sinkhole opened and consumed a lot of his attention.

Ultimately he decided against it.

“Bottom line is I love what I’m doing,” Fleury said. He also just got married last year and hopes to have a family soon, and if he won a seat at Queen’s Park the constant absences wouldn’t be fair to his wife, he said.

“It breaks my heart in some respects — having the support of Madeleine, and it’s an opportunity that doesn’t come around all the time. But the timing just is not right,” he said.

That leaves the field open for other Liberals to contest what’s generally considered a very safe seat for the party. Fleury doesn’t have a favourite but said he expects a long list of people to be interested — particularly since, with the riding’s MP Mauril Bélanger severely ill with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, just campaigning for the provincial nomination could set someone up for a subsequent race federally.

Fleury didn’t rule out a federal run himself. The seat isn’t open, he emphasized. But Bélanger has acknowledged his time in it is limited. “I never say no to things without seriously thinking about it,” Fleury said.

Premier Kathleen Wynne has until the end of the year to call a byelection in Ottawa-Vanier. She’ll probably pair it with a byelection in a vacant Scarborough riding, though, which has to be called earlier in the fall.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....anier-seat
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a Liberal premier, and had one of the safest Liberal seats empty, I would start recruiting one of those politically valuable people who you want to shelter from the storm of regular politics because of their insightful advice.

Are there any such Liberals?
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
If I were a Liberal premier, and had one of the safest Liberal seats empty, I would start recruiting one of those politically valuable people who you want to shelter from the storm of regular politics because of their insightful advice.

I would imagine there looking for a star candidate for this riding ? that's likely why they haven't had nomination yet . I think some of the bigger names might be waiting for federal seat to open up as Mauril Belanger is likely to retire soon due to health issues .
they also might be holding off on by election in hopes the university of Ottawa vote helps them hold the riding , it makes up a large part of the riding and unlikely to go pc and if the vote were held on sep 1 the students wouldn't be back yet
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( finally news of a possible liberal candidate in Ottawa Vanier )

U of O law dean seeks provincial Liberal nomination in Ottawa-Vanier

David Reevely
More from David Reevely

Published on: September 9, 2016 | Last Updated: September 9, 2016 6:17 PM EDT

Nathalie Des Rosiers, dean of common law at the University of Ottawa.

The provincial Liberals have snagged high-profile lawyer Nathalie Des Rosiers to run for them in Ottawa-Vanier, the seat vacated by Madeleine Meilleur at the beginning of the summer.

Des Rosiers is the dean of common law at the University of Ottawa, formerly the dean of the university’s civil-law section, and in between was general counsel at the Canadian Civil Liberties Association — where attacking government policy, including in Ontario, was a specialty.

It was Des Rosiers who noticed the provincial government, then headed by Dalton McGuinty, had invoked an archaic legal provision to keep protesters at a G20 leaders’ summit in Toronto away from a kilometres-long protective fence ringing a big section of downtown. That was a massive violation of civil rights, the provincial ombudsman later found.

Des Rosiers also fought the government on carding, the police practice of stopping people in high-crime areas to ask for their papers and recording their whereabouts in a database for later perusal. The minister then in charge of policing, Ottawa Centre MPP Yasir Naqvi, was dragged reluctantly into banning the tactic.

“I think there’s been quite a change in politics, particularly with respect with the G20,” Des Rosiers said in an interview. “I’m confident that the Wynne government will not react the way it has in the past on these issues.”

As an advocate inside government, she could have a voice in decisions before they’re made, she said, rather than protesting them.

The Liberals approached her about running for the nomination, she said. “I had to consider it and I was happy to be asked,” she said. “I’d been kind of thinking of it for a while but I needed to be invited.”

She’d long admired Meilleur and had worked with her, as a senior local minister, on multiple legal issues.

Des Rosiers was president of the Law Commission of Canada, which advised the federal government on legal reforms, and was named to the Order of Canada in 2013.

Meilleur is likewise a lawyer and was Premier Kathleen Wynne’s attorney general. When she retired, she anointed Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury as her preferred successor but he demurred, wanting to stay in Ottawa. That left the Liberals casting about for a strong candidate in one of the safest red seats in the province and delaying calling a byelection until they found one.

School trustee and Federal Court of Appeal staff lawyer Lucille Collard is also rumoured to be interested in the nomination. Des Rosiers said she expects to compete for it and is happy to. “I believe in this process. I believe in strong debates and if good candidates emerge, that’s good for the party and for Ontario.”

The New Democrats nominated Claude Bisson, a retired civilian employee of the RCMP and brother of Timmins-James Bay MPP Gilles Bisson, in August. The Progressive Conservatives don’t have a candidate yet.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....awa-vanier
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

bugs seems to be onto something , I think potential liberal candidate Nathalie des rosier might fit that one . being a law professor and having a history studying hot button issues like carding and the G20 . she might be of some use to them , if she can win the by-election which is going to be more of a challenge than years past.

still no word on who the pc candidate might be in Ottawa Vanier . I don't think its seen as a pc riding realistically but considering how bad Wynne has done in by-elections of late there is always hope I guess
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

Agreed 100%;

Politically this riding being open is like Toronto Centre being open;
The Federal Liberals Airdropped Chrystia Freeland into that riding when Bob Rae left politics, I would imagine if the Premier is looking for a fresh face for a high profile cabinet position this is the riding where you can add someone without much risk of losing.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Bugs wrote:

Agreed 100%;

Politically this riding being open is like Toronto Centre being open;
The Federal Liberals Airdropped Chrystia Freeland into that riding when Bob Rae left politics, I would imagine if the Premier is looking for a fresh face for a high profile cabinet position this is the riding where you can add someone without much risk of losing.

I don't know if wynne is looking for any new cabinet ministers any time soon , there was just a cabinet shuffle a few months back and unlikely to be another in the next few months . so any new mpp is going to likely be in the backbench till next election .

of the Ottawa ridings its one of the most likely to vote liberal other than maybe Ottawa South . although Ottawa Centre has also been good to provincial liberals even though it had been ndp federally . so even with wynne down in the dumps in most polls its a riding they still have a chance in or even an advantage over the other parties . but I still see the by-election being closer and more competitive than past races in the riding , it won't be a sleeper like years past .
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:

I don't know if wynne is looking for any new cabinet ministers any time soon , there was just a cabinet shuffle a few months back and unlikely to be another in the next few months . so any new mpp is going to likely be in the backbench till next election .

The rumour leading up to Madeleine Meilleur resignation was that the Liberals could lose up to five cabinet ministers in the next year to resignations.

Without looking too hard at the tea leaves;
Glen Murray has already stated he won't seek re-election and I wouldn't be surprised if a position in the private sector arose in the next year or so for him.

It would be a good idea to add some talent in a riding that is safe that you may need to plug into a hole in cabinet should one arise.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: