Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: 2016 US Presidential Election Reply with quote

As we are rounding the final corner towards the nomination and turning our attention to the general, we may as well have a topic to discuss it.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( ted cruz is announcing Carly Fiorina as his VP pick even though he isn't going to win enough delegates to possibly win on first ballot )

Fox News ‏@FoxNews · 42m42 minutes ago

GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz will announce that Carly Fiorina will be his VP pick should he secure the nomination, Fox News confirms
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCO wrote:
( ted cruz is announcing Carly Fiorina as his VP pick even though he isn't going to win enough delegates to possibly win on first ballot )

GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz will announce that Carly Fiorina will be his VP pick should he secure the nomination, Fox News confirms

Has a Presidential Candidate ever named their running mate prior to the convention? and if so was that Candidate not the presumptive nominee?
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am among those who think that the primaries are virtually over.

Cruz looks increasingly desperate. When Cruz and Kasich made their deal, a lot of people reacted by saying quietly, to themselves: Hmmm ... that's what politicians do -- make deals to limit our choices, usually behind our backs ... It just seems that Cruz can't move without making his situation worse.

By naming a running mate just as he's 'mathematically eliminated' is another sign of desperation.

The Conservatives -- many of them people I respect -- are making a lot of noise, and raise mostly ideological issues. What the conservatives don't seem to realize is that the electorate gave them ample chances, and they didn't come through for them. They couldn't stop Obamacare, they couldn't stop executive amnesty, and even funded it, Most of all, they watched the jobs go away, and did nothing.

I would really like to hear them defend themselves against this charge. All I am seeing is a petulant anger, without accepting the critique. Make no mistake, conservatism is not going to come out of this unscathed.
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
RCO wrote:

Has a Presidential Candidate ever named their running mate prior to the convention? and if so was that Candidate not the presumptive nominee?

I don't really think so , it seems like an odd move to make at this point , trump is getting very close to getting enough delegates to win on first ballot . if he wins in California I'd imagine he be close . Indiana also could prove to be more important than in years past

also saw a post that indicated Sanders had laid off some campaign staff an indication the democratic race is almost over
Bugs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reagan did it when he was running against Gerald Ford ... it was a failed attempt.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I am among those who think that the primaries are virtually over.

I tend to agree;

The entire rationale behind this contested convention non-sense was that Trump support would have peaked and been on its way back down by the time the primaries were over and his delegates from earlier states would be more likely to go elsewhere;

However now he is winning nearly every primary with > 50% of the popular vote;
If delegates from earlier states are released its likely he wins on the second ballot if he doesn't on the first.

I can't see a scenario where Trump is not the GOP candidate, unless the rules are radically altered from 2012.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senator Cruz has suspended his campaign;

Quote:
Ted Cruz bowed out of the Republican presidential race Tuesday following a crushing loss to Donald Trump in Indiana, clearing the path for the real estate mogul to clinch the GOP nomination.

Quote:
In the end, the growing strength of Trump's candidacy and Cruz's own stumbles in the past two weeks were too much for Cruz to overcome. The Cruz, Kasich and anti-Trump forces had concocted elaborate plans to try to deprive Trump of the 1,237 delegates he needs to win the nomination outright. But those plans hinged on money and momentum. After Tuesday night, it appeared that Cruz would have neither.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/.....drops-out/
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we can wildly speculate regarding the Trump running mate;

My first thought is Jeff Sessions, as Trump has made it clear he wants someone with political experience.

However if he wants to take the populist approach;
I could something as out there as Governor Schwarzenegger
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaisch of Ohio has also suspended his campaign or dropped out today so Trump will be the republican nominee it appears , I can't really see any other outcome as Cruz is also done . so the states left to vote won't really matter much and simply add to trumps lead .
unfortuently I fear the anti-trump coverage in Canada is going to start to get ridiculous anytime soon , the fort mcmurray fire dominated todays news but one can bet the American election will soon dominate and a lot of that coverage will be anti-conservative in general and anti - trump

one unanswered question is how long will the democratic race go on for ? Clinton is getting very close to number needed to win when you include super delegates but sanders keeps winning states like Indiana and so race drags on . it could drag on till june 7th when California votes if Sanders has enough money and motivation to stay in race . I still think its unlikely Clinton would give Sander's VP job as candidates rarely reward opponents who they've campaigned this hard against and he is very old for the job and Clinton could find dozens of possible people for the role within party
RCO

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on possible trump running mates ?

I think Sarah Palin is out or at least I would hope so . there is a number of republican governors who might be an option like Chris Christie of New Jersey and maybe some others I'm not familiar with . some senators might also be an option but don't expect trump to name one immediately and maybe not till the convention
Bugs

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find someone as good as ... wait for it ... HERMAN CAIN.

Let Hillary have all those who think possession of a vagina is a job qualification. The thing that keeps the Democrats in power is the black vote and the big city vote.

Put it this way -- as long as the Black vote stays on the plantation, the Democrats win in New York state, Illinois, and states like Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan. If so, Dems go into the election with an automatic 100+ electoral votes, and we aren't even counting California, another 55. They only need another 120 out of the 435 votes remaining.

And the big city whites will go googly-eyed if Trump takes a black as his Veep. What slanders will they use to demonize Trump then?

Herman Cain is an author and a business executive, and has credentials in the Tea Party.

Blacks are already more supportive of Trump than they were for any recent Republican. As well, all the rust belt states are vulnerable to the 'tear up NAFTA' promise. Add Herman Cain at it would only amplify that vulnerability.

The only person who could compete, in my view, is Ben Carson.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the GOP act like the Democrats during this entire process has been interesting.
Bugs

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if he Republicans are splitting, or if it's all a ritual coming together. It's interesting how Trump operates. If you see it as orchestrated, its brilliant, and gutsy. He never spent big money on ads, and so on. And he is the last one standing.

Or is it just luck, he's just a big mouthed lout who has better timing than political moxie?

Now, in his approach to Paul Ryan and the senior Senators, we see someone who has the sang froid to react calmly under pressure, and who knows how to put the pressure back on Ryan. He's fighting to control the narrative. He is not going to Congress to beg for the acceptance of the top Republican dogs in Congress. He rattles his sabre, and Sarah Palin announces that she'll help someone undertaking a primary challenge in his home seat! Why would Paul Ryan want that?

I think the old hands were expecting Trump to bend the knee to get the party's support. But Trump has reframed the narrative. Now it is two people meeting, each with uneasy feelings about the other, but both needing a deal.

You have to concede ... he has a Napoleonic touch, don't you think?
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( although we have seen polls showing Clinton with a large 10 point or more lead over trump , according to these polls its actually very close in Florida , Ohio and Pennsylvania and maybe other swing states as well )

Swing state polls show Clinton, Trump in airtight race

Published May 10, 2016
· FoxNews.com

Now Playing
Will Trump's attacks on Clinton score points with women?

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are locked in a tight race across the country’s most critical battleground states, according to new polling that challenges assumptions the presumptive Republican nominee would enter a general election battle against the former secretary of state as the underdog.

The Quinnipiac University Poll tested a Clinton-Trump match-up in Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania. The two were close in every state, with Trump even edging Clinton in Ohio, 43-39 percent.

In Florida, Clinton led Trump 43-42 percent. The Democratic primary front-runner held the same 1-point edge in Pennsylvania as well.

“Six months from Election Day, the presidential races between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the three most crucial states, Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania, are too close to call,” Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac Poll, said in a statement, also noting that Trump at this point is doing better in Pennsylvania than the GOP nominees in 2008 and 2012.

The polling is still just a snapshot. Most national polls continue to show Clinton leading Trump in a general election match-up, and the overall electoral map is widely thought to favor Democrats in November.

But, as noted by Quinnipiac, no candidate since 1960 has won the race for the White House without winning at least two of the three swing states tested here.

2016 Election Headquarters

The latest headlines on the 2016 elections from the biggest name in politics.
See Latest Coverage →

The poll also could partly reflect changing attitudes toward Trump since he effectively wrapped up the Republican nomination last week, when his two remaining rivals bowed out of the race.

The Quinnipiac polling was taken in the period before and after Trump became the presumptive nominee, from April 27-May 9.

The new swing state numbers also could help boost Democratic primary underdog Bernie Sanders’ case that he could be a stronger general election candidate against Trump. He edged Trump by 2 or more points in every state polled, performing better than Clinton. He also did better than either Clinton or Trump in terms of favorability ratings; the two primary front-runners were viewed negatively across all three swing states.

Clinton, though, maintains a nearly insurmountable delegate lead over Sanders. The two are battling Tuesday in the West Virginia primary, but even if Sanders wins, his only viable path to getting the nomination would be to somehow convince hundreds of “superdelegates” – party insiders free to back whichever candidate they want – to abandon Clinton and side with him.

The Quinnipiac polls of 1,051 Florida voters; 1,042 Ohio voters; and 1,077 Pennsylvania voters each had a margin of error of 3 percentage points.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic.....-race.html

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next  

Jump to: