Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Jack Maclaren mpp Carleton Mississippi mills ? Reply with quote

( even as a conservative supporter I don't think I have any reasonable explanation for this latest incident , the joke thing I'd say wasn't really something I though about but this really does seem bizarre , its been taken down or his site offline but it allegedly used "fake " pictures and comments and claimed there were constituents he had helped , this really isn't something we need to be dealing with )

MPP Jack MacLaren, criticized for crude humour, in trouble again

The Ottawa-area legislator Wednesday issued an apology for phantom testimonials, as pressure mounts on Conservative leader Patrick Brown to take disciplinary action over embarrassment MacLaren has caused to the provincial party.

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren. Conservatives at Queen’s Park were abuzz Wednesday morning over the latest embarrassment caused to the party.
View 2 photos

zoom

Rob Ferguson / Toronto Star Order this photo

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren. Conservatives at Queen’s Park were abuzz Wednesday morning over the latest embarrassment caused to the party.

By: Robert Benzie Queen's Park Bureau Chief, Published on Wed Apr 13 2016

The testimonial section from Jack MacLaren's website. The images and data were taken down after it was disclosed that the praise appears to be from constituents who do not exist.

Pressure is mounting on Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown to do something about controversial MPP Jack MacLaren.

MacLaren, who was forced to apologize last week after the Star revealed he told a sexist joke about a female Liberal MP at a 350-person cancer fundraising dinner in Carp, is in hot water again.

The Ottawa Citizen discovered the Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP had adorned his official website with testimonials from people who appear not to exist.

“Thanks for everything you did to help me resolve my problem with the Ministry of Transportation,” says “Darren” from Mississippi Mills beside his alleged photograph.

But the Citizen found Darren seems to be Sam Muirhead, a New Zealand-born software developer who lives in Berlin, Germany.

Muirhead told the Ottawa newspaper that “unless I have a secret evil Canadian twin, Darren does not exist.”

There’s also a discrepancy about “Scott” from Almonte.

The "People We've Helped" section from Jack MacLaren's website. The data was taken down after it was disclosed that the testimonials were from constituents who appear not to exist.

The "People We've Helped" section from Jack MacLaren's website. The data was taken down after it was disclosed that the testimonials were from constituents who appear not to exist.

“Thank you for getting my OHIP card. After trying myself, for a year and a half I was ready to give up,” he says on MacLaren’s website.

However, the Citizen found the photo of “Scott” was taken by a photographer in the Netherlands and has been swirling around the Internet for almost a decade.

After the embarrassing story was published Tuesday night, a new message popped up on the Tory MPP’s website.

“Disclaimer: In order to maintain the privacy of constituents, stock photos and generic names have been used,” it said beneath the six testimonials from “constituents” represented by a telegenic, multicultural group of headshots.

Hours later the offending page was removed altogether and MacLaren issued a terse apology.

“Measures were taken to protect the privacy of individuals who provided positive feedback to my office,” the MPP said.

“While this was not intended to be misleading, I recognize that it was improper. I apologize and have asked for the content to be removed immediately.”

Conservatives at Queen’s Park were abuzz Wednesday morning over the latest embarrassment caused to the party by the MPP.

“Patrick needs to do something. This hurts us all,” one senior official, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to discuss internal party machinations, confided to the Star.

“This is a problem,” admitted another PC insider.

Michele Austin, a prominent Ottawa Conservative who lives in MacLaren’s riding, said enough is enough.

“His sign won’t be going on my lawn next time, that’s for sure. Frankly, I think he should consider retirement. He has clearly lost touch with his constituents,” said Austin, who was chief of staff to two ministers in former prime minister Stephen Harper’s government.

“There are absolutely no reasonable explanations for his actions,” she said.

The website kerfuffle is the most recent problem triggered by the maverick MPP.

On March 24, he told a vulgar “joke” about Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon (Kanata-Carleton) at a March 24 charity event that both were attending.

MacLaren urged a reluctant McCrimmon to the stage in Carp, and put his arm around her shoulder and made a comment about her body.

“I’m not getting behind you,” the MPP said, as he shifted on stage before reading the prepared text of an oral sex joke about McCrimmon and her husband.

Two weeks later — after the Star revealed the story and Brown called him on the carpet — MacLaren emailed McCrimmon to apologize.

“He has embarrassed the entire group by making such crude comments at their event. These are wonderful people who work so hard for their community. They deserve better than that,” the Liberal MP said at the time.

Brown was not happy to have to clean up the mess left by one of caucus.

“We have zero tolerance for misogynistic comments and an apology was made correctly to Karen McCrimmon this morning,” the Tory leader said last week.

“I think it was appropriate that that apology be made directly to Karen.”

While Brown stood by MacLaren at the time, this most recent transgression is another headache for a rookie leader who is working hard to modernize his party by appealing to women, urbanites, and new Canadians.

MacLaren was at the legislature Wednesday, but did not immediately return calls or emails from the Star.

http://www.thestar.com/news/qu.....laren.html
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reevely: MPP Jack MacLaren touts praise from phantom constituents

David Reevely
More from David Reevely

Published on: April 12, 2016 | Last Updated: April 12, 2016 9:21 PM EDT

A screenshot of MPP Jack MacLaren's website, showing people he's ostensibly helped. Almost all the images are provably stock art or copied from other websites, and they're pictures of people who don't live anywhere near Ottawa. 0413 col Reevely

A screenshot of MPP Jack MacLaren's website, showing people he's ostensibly helped.

West-end MPP Jack MacLaren has decorated his website with testimonials from people he appears to have made up.

Every politician likes to be known for helping residents and voters one on one. It’s the unglamorous but sometimes most important part of the job. The Carleton-Mississippi Mills Progressive Conservative makes more of his record on that than most politicians, with a whole section of his website devoted to thank-yous.

They represent nearly every corner of his riding, from Kanata to Constance Bay to Richmond to Almonte, and a multi-ethnic selection of men and women. Maybe they’re real, or have real elements, but I called MacLaren’s offices Monday and Tuesday to inquire and nobody called back to say either way.

Let’s look at each of them.

Advertisement

First, there’s Sheila from Kanata, who seems to exist only on MacLaren’s website. That’s what you’d expect from a real constituent writing in to say thank you for his “in depth inquiry into the Family Responsibility Office.”

Both she and Scott from Almonte, who thanks MacLaren for helping get him his health card, were mentioned in one of MacLaren’s constituency newsletters last year as examples of the casework in his office one week. Fine.

Here’s an odd thing about Scott, though. He’s a dapper, middle-aged fellow. His photo was first posted to the Internet in 2007, by a photographer in The Hague, in the Netherlands, who liked his hat. Scott must have found the image on the Internet himself — there’s no name attached to it — and sent it to MacLaren years later to use next to his name. In fairness, it is a very nice photo.

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren, left, speaks with reporters at the Ottawa Citizen's national bureau Friday January 16, 2015. Provincial Tory leadership candidate, Patrick Brown, not pictured, was announcing his endorsement by MacLaren. (Darren Brown/Ottawa Citizen) ORG XMIT: POS1501161123150248

Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP Jack MacLaren speaks with reporters at the Ottawa Citizen’s national bureau Friday January 16, 2015. Darren Brown / Ottawa Citizen

Suren from Kanata thanks MacLaren for “the commitment and dedication on your part with the communities,” whatever that means. According to the person who photographed her, the picture was taken in 2013 in San Francisco. It’s been used elsewhere on web pages selling beauty products to women of colour.

What about Darren from Mississippi Mills? “Thanks for everything you did to help me resolve my problem with the Ministry of Transportation,” he says to MacLaren. Darren bears a perfect resemblance to Sam Muirhead, a New Zealand-born software developer and advocate of open-source and free culture who lives in Berlin. Darren even stood in the same spot as his doppelgänger to have his picture taken.

(Muirhead, by the way, thinks it’s pretty funny. “No, unless I have a secret evil Canadian twin, Darren does not exist,” he says by email.)

Kaydee from Richmond tells MacLaren: “You’re amazing! I hope you’re having a great summer- you sure are busy! All the best.”

The photo next to Kaydee’s testimonial is of Mabel Pantaleon, a nurse-turned-actress born and raised in New York City. Her biggest success was a bit part on Dexter a few years ago; she’s more recently struggled with bipolar disorder. She keeps a blog. It’s pretty disjointed, unfortunately, but doesn’t mention moving to Canada.

As it happens, there’s a real person whose name is Kaydee Richmond. She works for Tory leader Patrick Brown in Toronto, on the party’s effort to come up with a new set of policies to stand for in the next provincial election, and spoke at the party convention here a few weeks ago. Heck of a coincidence.

And then there’s “Robert & Karen” from Constance Bay. “Many thanks for all the help!” they say, without specifying what the help was. If Robert and Karen live in Constance Bay now, they sent MacLaren a very old photo to go with their testimonial. It was taken in 2009 and the photographer who posted it first said it was of a couple in Manchester.

Guess who else lives in Constance Bay? Robert and Karen McCrimmon. Karen McCrimmon is the Liberal member of Parliament MacLaren dragged up on stage at a fundraiser a couple of weeks ago so he could tell dirty jokes about her.

We’re in danger of getting used to Jack MacLaren’s buffoonery, just as we are used to Cheryl Gallant’s and Donald Trump’s. He seems impervious to shame about advancing nonsensical ideas about how old British constitutional ideas protect land rights, or about being abusive to a female MP. On his own website, now, he presents himself like a set of revolutionary kitchen shears or a real-estate investment scheme that Lisa from Nebraska says is making her $5,400 a week for just eight hours of work.

If he doesn’t feel any shame about his shtick, the people who keep electing him should.

After this story appeared online Tuesday evening, a disclaimer was added to MacLaren’s website. “In order to maintain the privacy of constituents, stock photos and generic names have been used,” it said.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/.....nstituents
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ont. MPP says his website testimonials were 'improper'

Personal website of Ontario MPP Jack MacLaren
Testimonials, since removed from the site, are shown on the personal website of Ontario MPP Jack MacLaren in this recent screenshot. (THE CANADIAN PRESS)

The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:49AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:20PM EDT

TORONTO -- A Progressive Conservative member of the Ontario legislature who landed in hot water last week over a sexist joke about a Liberal MP has apologized for posting fake constituent endorsements on his websites.

Jack MacLaren emerged from a legislative ante room to say the phoney endorsements had been removed from his website, and he was sorry it happened.

But MacLaren then walked away from reporters and camera crews, refusing to answer any questions and remaining silent as he went up two flights of stairs to his office.

Related Stories

Liberal MP heartened to see all-party condemnation of politician's vulgar joke

A disclaimer appeared on MacLaren's site saying stock photos and generic names were used to "maintain the privacy of constituents," and then the entire site was taken down.

Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown says caucus discipline is an internal matter, but once he has all the facts in on MacLaren's website, he will weigh his options.

Just last week Brown had to distance himself from "misogynist comments" that MacLaren made in the form of a crude, sexual joke he told about Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon at a fundraising event.

MacLaren has also been criticized for helping another candidate organize a challenge to Lisa MacLeod, a fellow eastern Ontario provincial Tory, for the party's nomination in the 2018 election, another controversy he has refused to comment on.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics.....-1.2857329
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Maclaren mpp Carleton Mississippi mills ? Reply with quote

The Ottawa-area legislator Wednesday issued an apology for phantom testimonials, as pressure mounts on Conservative leader Patrick Brown to take disciplinary action over embarrassment MacLaren has caused to the provincial party.

http://www.thestar.com/news/qu.....ml[/quote]

Are you kidding me? This definitely is on the "breadcrumb sins" level of transgressions. This is journalist trolling.

This reminds me of the case of the Conservative candidate that the CBC found in its old footage, when he was an appliance repair man. For whatever reason, our poor Tamil was alone in the kitchen, and I guess he had to pee. He grabbed a mug, pissed into it, and drained it down the sink. And then he rinsed out the mug and ran the water.

In Toronto, I lived near a building housing an entire Tamil community. They were always unfailingly polite.

These are the kind of journalists that squelched the story of Jack Layton buying blow jobs in a Chinese copperhead operation near his home. He was caught in a police raid.

This is just a little story they wouldn't publish except it makes the provincial Conservatives seem to be cheaters.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Maclaren mpp Carleton Mississippi mills ? Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

http://www.thestar.com/news/qu.....laren.html

I don't really know what the whole story is here , did he hire someone to rebrand his website and they created this mess ? who exactly designed his website ? had he seen the " questionable " constituent quotes and photographs that were posted ? he hasn't really answered any questions yet and its not clear if he will be .
I don't really understand why Jack Maclaren specifically has been such a big news story of late , this is the second time in last month he has been in the news for some sort of incident . I think brown has to act to maintain the party's credibility unless maclaren can provide a solid story as to what happened and if it was an accident or not , and if the quotes really are real just that they choose not to put up real pictures or if the whole page was made up .
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the media pile on against maclaren continues with release of tapes of jokes he made at "mens nights " at the carp fair near Ottawa , I think its clear this writer has it out for him as he was same one who broke the website story )

MacLaren tapes reveal MPP's filthy-mouthed history

David Reevely, National Post

First posted: Thursday, April 14, 2016 09:02 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, April 14, 2016 09:16 PM EDT

JacK McLaren
MPP JacK McLaren leaves his Queen's Park office after avoiding the media about his website in Toronto, Ont. on Wednesday April 13, 2016. Craig Robertson/Toronto Sun/Postmedia Network

PC MPP denies testimonials on website are fake

Jack MacLaren has given filthy performances at previous Carp Fair Men's Nights and they brought the house down, recordings obtained by Postmedia reveal.

The Carleton-Mississippi Mills MPP's standup routine at the annual fundraiser in his riding in March became notorious because he targeted his federal counterpart, Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon, who was there working with the women who serve the men. MacLaren demanded she come up to the microphone with him and then told a dirty joke about her sex life to her face.

It's no wonder he thought he'd get away with it: the previous year, MacLaren delivered a reel of dirty jokes, laced with jabs at Premier Kathleen Wynne and her Liberal government, which the crowd loved.

***WARNING: Audio clips contain foul language***

"I was talking to John Cole over here before supper started," MacLaren began, possibly referring to a local funeral director. "He was really happy to hear that you can’t afford to die, because we’re going to have a death tax of one-and-a-half per cent. I don’t know John, what’s wrong with your generosity? ... I think you’re being a mite selfish.

"We’re also going to have a nice Ontario Retirement Pension Plan, which’ll take a nice 1.9 per cent out of your payroll as well, including all of your workers. We’re going to have a carbon tax to solve climate change, we’re going to sell Hydro One for nothing because it’s $58 billion in debt with $20 billion worth of assets and that’s how we’re going to build subways in Toronto and that’s basically good economics.

"That’s how we get to a $308-billion deficit — or debt — and a $1.9-billion deficit which is bigger than last year's, but fortunately that’s going to go away all by itself because we’re going to teach all of our children to have sex education in Grade 1."

The punch line: "So that’s how you f--- things up!"

The crowd laughed. "I think we're doing, she's doing, a marvellous — ," MacLaren goes on before the recording stops.

Later, apparently attributing the jokes to Liberals, he told one about a long-married couple, so dirty that editors wouldn't allow me to tell you what it is. But the crowd roared and clapped.

"You can see those Liberal speechwriters really do have some talent!" MacLaren cracked.

He joked about why "Divorce Barbie" is so much more expensive than all the other Barbies (she comes with all of Ken's things!), about how his wife gives money to the homeless and he gives money to the topless, and about what happens to boobs and willies as people age (melons become onions, which make you cry; oaks become Christmas trees, which are dead above the roots).

Like the constituents to whom he attributed testimonials on his website, the jokes were nearly all cribbed from the Internet. But it seems MacLaren's 2015 performance was a hit.

West Carleton-March Coun. Eli El-Chantiry remembers being introduced at Men's Night, when he was first running for council in 2003, as the brother of Saddam Hussein. It's a conservative crowd and jokes about Liberals (like him) always go over well, he says, though he keeps his jokes more polite and more focused on himself.

In 2014, El-Chantiry and Sen. Vern White ripped into each other at Men's Night over White's leaving his place as police chief to become a senator. But the two of them are close friends and they were play-acting.

"The one I went to, I thought was excellent," White says now. "There was never off-colour humour and never reference to any women."

He wasn't there in 2015 or 2016, he says, and is appalled by MacLaren's performances. "It's not appropriate for anyone in our position to be doing things like that," White says.

Conservative MP Scott Reid, who attended Men's Night before redistricting moved his constituency farther west, remembers being told, before his first one, that it was a chance to have some fun and tell some iffy jokes on the promise nobody outside would ever find out. He wasn't fond of it, he says.

Ron Bidgood, the president of the Carp Fair, has twice declined to return calls to talk about Men's Night. MacLaren, as has been standard the past week, turtled on Thursday.

Here's the short-form case for the Carp Fair Men's Night. It's a long tradition, it raises money for charity, it's just fun, men are the targets of some of the dirty jokes, and there's an equivalent Ladies' Night (this very Friday night, in fact) so everything evens out. The recent night had Bryan Murray telling the men about colon cancer, which is important.

All true. "The good people there shouldn't be held responsible because a politician goes too far," El-Chantiry says.

The trouble is, even if MacLaren's speeches were deviations from the norm, he sure thought he was in a safe space for sexism. Things went so well the first time he came back for more. That's exactly the vicious circle we need to break.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....ed-history
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s
April 18, 2016 10:16 am Updated: April 18, 2016 3:29 pm
Ontario MPP Jack MacLaren ordered to take sensitivity training after making sexist joke

By Keith Leslie The Canadian Press

TORONTO — A Progressive Conservative member of the Ontario legislature who came under fire for telling a sexist joke about a Liberal MP has been ordered to undergo sensitivity training.

PC Leader Patrick Brown said Monday he has ordered Jack MacLaren, who represents the Ottawa-area riding of Carleton-Mississippi Mills, to stay away from Queen’s Park for an indefinite period “because of recent inappropriate conduct.”

“I have been clear that there is no room for anything less than respect and tolerance in the Ontario PC party and caucus, in our legislature, and society,” Brown said in a statement.

“Reassignment of MPP MacLaren’s roles will remain in effect until such time as I determine that appropriate corrective action has been taken.”

READ MORE: MPP Jack MacLaren should be booted from PC caucus for misogynist comments: Wynne

MacLaren found himself in hot water after telling a crude joke about Liberal MP Karen McCrimmon during a fundraising event last month in Carp, Ont., when the two were sharing a stage. MacLaren only apologized for his off-colour remarks weeks after the event when the media got hold of the story.

Earlier this month, MacLaren made headlines again when he was forced to admit that constituent testimonials posted on his website, including names and photos, were fake.

The website was eventually taken down, but MacLaren refused to offer any explanations for the phoney postings other than a terse apology before he bolted away from reporters.

Last week, Brown demoted MacLaren as the PC caucus representative for eastern Ontario, but on both occasions the Opposition leader stopped short of kicking him out of the Tory caucus.

Brown was unavailable to comment Monday because he was running in the Boston Marathon, but deputy PC leader Steve Clark said it was no surprise that MacLaren faced additional disciplinary action.

READ MORE: Ontario Conservative MPP apologizes for using fake testimonials on his website

“The leader was very clear that he was going to gather further information,” said Clark. “He’s made, I believe, the appropriate action on the member, who will remain in his riding.”

The entire PC caucus underwent sensitivity training over a year ago – Clark believes MacLaren was in attendance – and MacLaren will have to pay for the additional training himself. Clark could not say what that would entail.

Deputy premier Deb Matthews called MacLaren’s punishment a “mild rebuke,” and suggested Brown boot the trouble-prone Tory from the PC caucus.

“If Patrick Brown says there’s no room for that kind of comment in his caucus, I guess the question is why is there room for Jack MacLaren in your caucus?”

Brown has been trying to put a more modern, inclusive face on the Progressive Conservatives since he won the leadership last year, and his efforts are not helped by sexist remarks that reinforce old, negative stereotypes about the party.

READ MORE: Liberal MP encouraged by all-party condemnation of Ontario MPP’s vulgar joke about her

Premier Kathleen Wynne, who has publicly called on Brown to kick MacLaren out of the PC caucus, sent a letter to the Speaker of the legislature Monday saying she wants the parties to develop a code of conduct for members of the legislature.

“I believe that we must not tolerate inappropriate conduct by or against our members as their conduct their work, be it in the legislative precinct or at events in their ridings and elsewhere,” wrote Wynne.

“Members are expected to act in a manner that promotes confidence in the integrity of each member and protects the dignity of the Assembly.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2645.....xist-joke/

Jump to: