Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Bas Balkissoon resigns as mpp Scarborough Rouge River Reply with quote

( a liberal mpp in Kathleen Wynne's government has resigned suddenly and without explanation forcing a by-election In scarborough rogue river in next 6 months , in interesting riding in north Toronto )

Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon suddenly resigns Scarborough seat

Scarborough-Rouge River byelection to be called within six months.

Bas Balkissoon celebrates his re-election in the provincial riding of Scarborough-Rouge River following the 2014 Ontario Provincial Election. He resigned his seat on Tuesday, March 22.

LUCAS OLENIUK / TORONTO STAR Order this photo

Bas Balkissoon celebrates his re-election in the provincial riding of Scarborough-Rouge River following the 2014 Ontario Provincial Election. He resigned his seat on Tuesday, March 22.

By: Rob Ferguson Queen's Park Bureau, Published on Tue Mar 22 2016

Veteran Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon has suddenly resigned his seat in the Ontario legislature, without explanation.

The announcement came from Premier Kathleen Wynne on a day Queen’s Park was preoccupied by the untimely death of former Toronto mayor Rob Ford.

“Today, Bas Balkissoon advised me of his resignation and that he is stepping down as the MPP for Scarborough-Rouge River, effective immediately,” Wynne said in a statement that shed no light on the unexpected departure.

“I thank Bas for his service and wish him luck in his future endeavours. A byelection will be called within the next six months.”

Balkissoon, who could not immediately be reached for comment, was quickly deleted from the list of MPPs on the legislature’s website.

A staff member in his Scarborough constituency office seemed taken by surprise by the resignation, saying: “I have no idea (why). I’m in a bit of shock as well.”

Balkissoon, a native of Trinidad, was first elected to the legislature in 2005, and his riding has been Liberal since its creation in 1999.

Prior to serving as an MPP and deputy speaker of the legislature, as well as a parliamentary assistant to several cabinet ministers, Balkissoon was a prominent Toronto city councillor who was credited with blowing the whistle on the MFP computer-leasing scandal.

He also made news in 2012 when U.S. President Barack Obama attended his son Tony’s wedding in Chicago, where he works as a lawyer and married fellow barrister Laura Jarrett, the daughter of one of Obama’s most influential advisers.

“It was kind of cool,” Bas Balkissoon told the Star of attending the wedding with Obama, where guests were asked not to take any photos.
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

March 22, 2016 2:27 pm Updated: March 22, 2016 2:37 pm

Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon resigns his Scarborough-Rouge River seat in legislature

By Staff The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Liberal backbencher Bas Balkissoon is resigning his Scarborough-Rouge River seat in the Ontario legislature effective immediately.

Premier Kathleen Wynne’s office announced Balkissoon’s decision, but gave no reason for the resignation.

Wynne’s office says it will have no further comment other than to thank him for his public service.

Balkissoon was first elected to the legislature in 2005 and served as parliamentary assistant to several ministers, but was never promoted to the Liberal cabinet.

The 63-year-old was born in Trinidad and Tobago, and served as a Toronto city councillor before entering provincial politics.

Wynne has six months to call a byelection to replace Balkissoon.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2593.....gislature/
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( talk about a mystery resignation , no one seems to know why he left suddenly )

Mar 23, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Veteran Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Bas Balkissoon resigns seat

Reason for resignation not yet known

Veteran Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Bas Balkissoon resigns seat-image1

Photo/WILLIAM MEIJER

MPP Bas Balkissoon, right, celebrates his re-election in Scarborough-Rouge River in June of 2014. It was announced this week that Balkissoon has resigned.

Scarborough Mirror

Bas Balkissoon, the plain-speaking veteran MPP for Scarborough-Rouge River, stepped down from the job on Tuesday, and no one in his riding seems to know why.

Premier Kathleen Wynne issued a statement March 22 saying Balkissoon, a Liberal MPP since 2005, had resigned, effective immediately,

She added a byelection will be called within six months.

Balkissoon, who was previously a Scarborough and city councillor, “has been a dedicated public servant for his community as a city councillor and MPP,” the premier said.

Even his own staff weren’t given details about the decision during what his constituency assistant described as a “brief call” on Tuesday.

“I’m very emotional, and shocked as everybody else,” said the assistant, who didn’t want his name released. “He wished everybody well, and that was it.”

Later, the same staff member said Balkissoon would release his own statement on his resignation, but it was not received by press time.

Loyal to the Liberal party and usually blunt, Balkisson was never in cabinet, but did serve as deputy speaker of Ontario’s legislature.

Balkissoon was first elected in a by-election, winning the riding convincingly in 2005 after Alvin Curling retired.

In 2014, the Trinidad-born Balkissoon got 39 per cent of the vote and beat both New Democratic contender Neethan Shan and Progressive Conservative candidate Raymond Cho, also a local city councillor.

The coming by-election is likely the last contest for Scarborough-Rouge River, which will be reorganized to match federal ridings.

The Scarborough-Rouge River constituency office will remain open, handling day-to-day requests, until the by-election is called.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....igns-seat/
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery aside;

This riding will be split into two for the next election as Ontario will add the addition seats in the legislature to more closely match the Federal boundaries as such the by-election with the current electorate won't be a proper reflection of what to expect in the next election.

This riding and its predecessor were Liberal from 1985 onward with the PCs finishing 3rd in the last election despite running Raymond Cho who increased the support in the riding by about 9% for the PCs.

While I don't expect a PC win here;
At a minimum ridings in east Toronto will need to go PC during the next election for them to form government and as such the expectation should be a strong second doing no worse than they did with a popular candidate in 2014.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Mystery aside;

This riding will be split into two for the next election as Ontario will add the addition seats in the legislature to more closely match the Federal boundaries as such the by-election with the current electorate won't be a proper reflection of what to expect in the next election.

This riding and its predecessor were Liberal from 1985 onward with the PCs finishing 3rd in the last election despite running Raymond Cho who increased the support in the riding by about 9% for the PCs.

While I don't expect a PC win here;
At a minimum ridings in east Toronto will need to go PC during the next election for them to form government and as such the expectation should be a strong second doing no worse than they did with a popular candidate in 2014.

bas balkissoon himself was elected here in a by-election in 2006 I think , so its a pretty safe liberal riding , i wouldn't expect a pc win either . but its still a somewhat odd riding , the ndp also have a strong base here and won the riding federally in 2011 maybe it was just one of there accidental wins that year or something else went on .

so outcome of by-election will depend how well ndp do here . only way liberals could lose id if they run a horrible candidate or cannot motivate there supporters to vote like in Whitby Oshawa where liberal turnout was pitiful , it also could depend on if its only by-election or if there were to be others , if a more likely opposition pick up emerged they might focus more attention there instead , just a possible scenario
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there is crazy speculation that doug ford might run in scarborough rouge river , at this point I'd say its still speculation )

Doug Ford meeting with PC MPP

By Shawn Jeffords, Toronto Sun
First posted: Monday, April 04, 2016 07:18 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, April 04, 2016 07:34 PM EDT

Doug Ford
Doug Ford speaks during the Rob Ford Celebration of Life party at the Toronto Congress Centre Wednesday, March 30, 2016. (Dave Thomas/Toronto Sun)

TORONTO - Doug Ford will meet with Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP Lisa MacLeod Tuesday, amid speculation he may run for the party in a coming Scarborough byelection, the Toronto Sun has learned.

The former city councillor and mayoral candidate has spoken openly about running for a seat in the provincial legislature in the past.

But with his brother Rob Ford’s seat on city council empty following his death, speculation about his political future is running high.

Doug Ford told the Sun on Monday that it’s “too soon to say” anything about his plans, but he hasn’t ruled anything out.

“I have no comment on that right now,” he said. “It’s just too early and I just want to focus on talking care of (Rob Ford’s wife) Renata and the kids right now.”

The seat for Scarborough Rouge-River recently became open after Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon resigned. Ford pointed out he handily won the polls in Scarborough Rouge-River (Ward 42) during the 2014 mayoral race.

“I did win that with the highest percentage outside of my own ward,” he said. “That was my strongest area outside of Etobicoke and a couple areas around it.”

He chalked the poll results up to the work he and his brother have done in Scarborough.

“We love Scarborough,” he said. “No politician anywhere — federally, provincially or municipally — have fought harder and talked more about Scarborough and was out in Scarborough more than Rob and I. Every second word out of our mouths was Scarborough.”

Ford said no one from the PCs has approached him about running, noting they are giving his family time to grieve.

Scarborough Rouge-River has been held by the Liberal Party since Alvin Curling won it in 1999. He served two terms before Balkissoon, a former city councillor, won the northeast Toronto seat in 2005. Balkissoon’s resignation was announced suddenly by Premier Kathleen Wynne in late March.

Ford said he’s watching what council decides to do with his brother’s seat. Last week, Mayor John Tory said Rob Ford’s seat will be declared vacant in early May. On the provincial side, Wynne has 60 days to trigger a byelection.

PC spokesman Tamara McGregor would not comment on Ford’s meeting with party officials. She said that PC riding nominations are decided by open votes.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....ty-leaders
cosmostein

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why the rush?

I would imagine in a General Election that Doug Ford would likely run in one of the three Etobicoke ridings which makes running on the other side of the city, (even in a riding that is bring redistributed) a little odd?
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apr 06, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Former Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Balkissoon says he resigned to spend more time with family

Veteran MPP and former Scarborough and city councillor announced resignation suddenly last month

Former Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Balkissoon says he resigned to spend more time with family

Staff file photo/TARA HATHERLY

Former Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Bas Balkissoon, left, was joined by Scarborough Centre MPP Brad Duguid and Scarborough-Agincourt MPP Soo Wong last month at a provincial budget breakfast in Scarborough. Balkisssoon announced March 22 that he was resigning his seat. He told The Scarborough Mirror on April 6 that his reason for stepping down was to spend more time with family after a 28-year political career.

Scarborough Mirror

Former Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Bas Balkissoon has broken his silence over his resignation last month to say he left politics to better serve his family.

The riding’s Liberal MPP since 2005, and a Scarborough and city councillor before that, Balkissoon surprised many by resigning on March 22.

His departure, which came with no explanation from Balkissoon or Premier Kathleen Wynne, left some to wonder whether Balkissoon had broken with leadership of the provincial party he served for so long.

Asked by The Scarborough Mirror to comment on this, he suggested his reasons for retiring were purely personal.

“I am turning 64 soon and have spent almost 28 of those years in politics sacrificing my family time,” Balkissoon said in a message Wednesday, April 6.

“The time has come to consider their needs and move to a less hectic life.”

Balkissoon was a Scarborough councillor from 1988 to 1997. He then served as a City of Toronto councillor, after megacity amalgamation, from 1998 to 2005.

As an MPP, he was the legislature’s deputy speaker - a role assumed since his departure by his Scarborough-Agincourt colleague, Soo Wong - and was recognized by Wynne last month as a “dedicated public servant for his community” in northeast Scarborough.

He invested time as an MPP in reducing violence in his Malvern neighbourhood after the 2005 so-called Summer of the Gun, and in establishing a new community health centre, TAIBU, serving Greater Toronto’s black community.

In his statement, Balkissoon said he enjoyed serving the riding and was “proud of how much I have accomplished here.”

“I don’t want to dwell on this too much but I believe I have delivered to the expectations of my constituents,” he added.

“I look forward to spending time with my family, and ask that everyone respects my wishes.”

Wynne must call a byelection for the long-held Liberal riding within six months of Balkissoon’s resignation.

- Mike Adler

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....th-family/
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the former ndp mp for scarborough rogue river now wants to run as a provincial liberal in the same riding , considering the state of the ndp maybe shouldn't be considered that much of a surprise )

Rathika Sitsabaiesan, Former NDP MP, Now Wants To Run For Ontario Liberals

Posted: 04/21/2016 8:00 pm EDT Updated: 04/21/2016 8:03 pm EDT

OTTAWA — One of the federal NDP’s former rising stars has decided she wants to run for the provincial Liberals in Ontario.

Rathika Sitsabaiesan, the former NDP MP for the Toronto-area riding of Scarborough–Rouge River submitted her nomination papers to the Ontario Liberal Party this week, The Huffington Post has learned. She is seeking a seat in an upcoming byelection in Scarborough–Rouge River, vacant since longtime MPP Bas Balkissoon’s surprising resignation last month. The riding has been Liberal since its creation in 1999.

rathika sitsabaiesan
Rathika Sitsabaiesan rises during Question Period in the House of Commons, Nov. 24, 2011. (Photo: Adrian Wyld/CP)

Sitsabaiesan was defeated in the Oct. 19 federal election when the NDP was completely wiped out in Toronto. She came in third with 22 per cent support, 10,000 votes behind her Liberal rival, Shaun Chen, who won 48 per cent of the vote. The Conservative, Ravinder Malhi, came in second with 27 per cent.

The 34-year-old was only elected in 2011 under then NDP leader Jack Layton’s wave, winning what had originally been thought of as a safe Liberal seat. Born in Sri Lanka, Sitsabaiesan became the first parliamentarian of Tamil descent. She immigrated to Canada when she was five.

On March 28, she took to Facebook to thank her supporters and announce that she had taken a vacation, got some much needed rest and spent time with her family.

“I am now back home in Scarborough and ready to figure out and work toward the next step,” she wrote. No matter what, I will always love and work for the betterment of our communities, province, country and global society.”

Her page makes no mention of running for Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals; it features mostly election-style posts urging people to vote for the federal NDP.

Former MP made headlines after Sri Lanka trip

For most of her parliamentary career, Sitsabaiesan escaped national headlines but two years ago, following a personal trip to Sri Lanka, the NDP MP reported that she had been followed, and that men had shown up with at an orphanage she was visiting with a warrant for her arrest.

She told The Toronto Star she had fled to her hotel room without detection and was later assured that there was no warrant for her arrest. But the next day, she said, she was followed again, and three men described as immigration officials questioned her.

The Sri Lankan High Commission lashed out, saying she was trying to embarrass the country and pass judgment on a sovereign state, according to a CBC report.

Sitsabaiesan could not be reached for comment.

She is one of a handful of NDP MPs who have left the federal party. Former NDP MP Glenn Thibeault left the party in 2015 to run, and win, a byelection for Wynne’s Liberals in Sudbury. Newfoundland NDP MP Ryan Cleary, defeated on Oct. 19, jumped to the Newfoundland and Labrador Progressive Conservatives for the province’s Nov. 30 general election but was defeated by a Liberal.

The Ontario byelection is expected to be called within six months.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2.....53626.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmark and Share

Apr 25, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Former NDP MP Sitsabaiesan leaves party to seek provincial Liberal nomination in Scarborough-Rouge River

Recently public school trustee Neethan Shan considering running for NDP nomination

Rathika Sitsabaiesan is a former federal NDP MP. She announced she will be seeking the provincial Liberal nomination in the Scarborough-Rouge River riding.

Scarborough Mirror
By Mike Adler

New Democrats in Scarborough are expressing disappointment and anger after ex-MP Rathikia Sitsabaiesan announced she’s leaving the party to seek a byelection nomination as a Liberal.

Sitsabaiesan, an activist in Malvern, won the federal Scarborough-Rouge River riding in 2011, a safe Liberal seat until then.

The first Tamil-Canadian MP, she lost a bid last fall to be re-elected in a redistributed new riding, Scarborough North, which covered most of the same territory.

On Saturday, Sitsabaiesan announced on Facebook she had decided to stand for nomination - as a Liberal - in the provincial Scarborough-Rouge River riding left vacant last month by Bas Balkissoon.

Sitsabaiesan’s message, which argues she had “always believed that being a principled progressive goes beyond partisanship,” got her a lot of likes, but also lots of criticism.

“You are definitely not the person I thought you were,” said Tom Parkin, one of many commenters who suggested Sitsabaisan had shown herself to be an opportunist.

One of the most caustic reactions came from Guled Arale, an Ontario NDP youth leader from Scarborough, who said Sitsabaiesan’s move left him “absolutely filled with disgust.”

Arale’s post said jumping to the Liberals would be the biggest mistake of Sitsabaiesan’s political career.

“Scarborough has continuously been screwed for decades by politicians that cared more about their pension then making a difference,” he wrote.

“I have known you for a few years and genuinely thought you cared about the lives of me and my fellow neighbors, but I guess all you really care about is getting elected.”

Arale added Scarborough residents are now angry about how they’ve been treated by Ontario’s Liberal government, and “will not elect a turncoat that will neglect them.”

Sitsabaiesan, who said she “did not make this decision lightly or without careful consideration,” praised in her message the Liberal government’s free-tuition policy for low-income post-secondary students, calling it “one of the most progressive policies we have ever seen in Canada.”

A former employee of the University of Toronto’s student union, the former MP said she had always fought for students.

In a television interview on Monday, Sitsabaiesan acknowledged she’d heard “lots of accusations” about her decision, but also “lots of love and support.”

She then spoke about the antiquated operating rooms at The Scarborough Hospital’s General campus, where she was a patient, and suggested she will fight as a Liberal for local hospitals and other issues that matter to her community.

Some people appeared to accept her conversion. Ryan Barber posted he was happy to see Sitsabaiesan returning to public life, “and proud to have you carry the provincial Liberal banner in Scarborough-Rouge River to ensure a truly progressive candidate holds that seat.”

From many New Democrats, however, there was dismay.

After reading a news report on Sitsabaiesan’s decision published before the announcement, Andrea Moffat, her campaign manager in 2011, said she didn’t know if it was true, “but if so I will be very disappointed.”

Sitsabaiesan is not guaranteed the Liberal nod. A vice-president of the Ontario Liberals, Piragal Thiru, has already announced he will seek the nomination.

On the weekend, Ryan Singh, the provincial party’s local riding association president, said “a number of people” had approached him about running.

Sitsabaiesan’s interest “was news to me” until he read a news report, he said, but if true, “I think it clearly demonstrates the strength of the Ontario Liberal Party, and that the leadership of Kathleen Wynne that continues to build support across the province.”

Details and dates for the nomination process haven’t been announced, said Singh, but the party has said the nomination will be open.

The New Democrats are also pledging their nomination will be open and decided by the party’s local membership.

“We are still in the midst of a candidate search process,” Provincial Secretary Karla Webber-Gallagher said in a message today.

“I know that there is a lot of interest, and we’re looking forward to finding a strong, progressive candidate, with roots in this community, to represent the people of Scarborough-Rouge River.”

Today, Neethan Shan, a former provincial party president who ran against Balkissoon for the NDP in two past elections but was recently elected a public school trustee in North Scarborough, said he’ll decide in the near future whether or not to seek the byelection nomination.

“I’m certainly seriously considering it, and I’m being urged by many in the community to put my name forward, but I haven’t made a final decision yet,” said Shan, who has also run for council in Ward 42 against longtime incumbent Raymond Cho.

“Rathika’s decision is something she’s going to have to answer for herself,” he added in an email.

“Having said that, what I know is that that people respect those who stand by their beliefs no matter what. That’s how I’ve tried to work throughout my time in politics and in serving this community.”

There are no declared nomination-seekers for the Progressive Conservatives in Scarborough-Rouge River, though there’s been speculation former Toronto councillor Doug Ford might seek to run.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....h-rouge-r/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymond Cho and Doug Ford team up in Scarborough to take on provincial Liberals

Councillor seeks to represent Progressive Conservatives in Scarborough-Rouge River riding

Raymond Cho

Raymond Cho

Staff photo/MIKE ADLER

Scarborough-Rouge River Councillor Raymond Cho, sitting in the food court of Malvern Town Centre on Thursday, says he's teaming up with former Etobicoke councillor Doug Ford to take his part of Scarborough away from the Ontario Liberals. Ford will be Cho's campaign manager in the Scarborough-Rouge River byelection, should Cho win the Progressive Conservative Party's nomination June 4.

Etobicoke Guardian
By Mike Adler

Raymond Cho and Doug Ford are teaming up to take a part of Scarborough away from Ontario’s Liberals.

Cho, a local councillor in the Scarborough-Rouge River area since 1991, says he’ll seek the riding’s Progressive Conservative nomination on June 4.

And former Etobicoke councillor Doug Ford – rumoured to be interested in running there for the PCs himself – wants to be Cho’s campaign manager.

“I actually urged him to run, he’s a very popular man, and he urged me to run,” Cho said Thursday, May 19.

The Scarborough councillor, who ran for the federal New Democratic party in 1988, and later joined the Liberals, surprised many by becoming the riding’s PC candidate in 2014.

He finished third, and when PC Leader Patrick Brown asked him this spring to try again in a byelection to replace Cho’s longtime Liberal rival Bas Balkissoon, Cho refused.

But on Thursday, Cho said the party kept asking, and a local poll for the PCs suggested Cho had the best chance to win the riding for the Tories.

That, coupled with Ford’s promise of support, Cho said, has changed his mind.

“It’s a good offer,” he said, recalling just a few weeks ago he invited Ford to breakfast and tried again to get him to run in Scarborough-Rouge River.

“I thought I convinced him,” said Cho, who was seen by some colleagues as left-leaning in the past and may seem an unlikely partner for the right-leaning Ford.

Both, however, have their loyal supporters in Cho’s constituency, where Ford’s 2014 mayoral campaign did well.

“Doug Ford has a lot of respect for me, and vice versa. We’ve been good friends,” Cho said.

Balkissoon’s sudden resignation as the local MPP in March gave Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne six months to call a byelection.

The PC nomination next weekend may be contested, but though the provincial riding association promised to release a list of candidates by late Friday, there are so far no declared PC rivals for Cho to beat.

Born in 1936, Cho tried to seek the provincial seat as a Liberal in 2005, but was denied the chance.

Balkissoon had held the riding since, but though the appeal of Liberals in Scarborough-Rouge River has deep roots, Cho said he’s confident enough people are finally getting tired of the provincial party and its recent scandals.

Cho said he supports extending the proposed Crosstown East light-rail transit line north from University of Toronto Scarborough to Malvern Town Centre.

He also repeated his support for a Sheppard subway extension as far east as Meadowvale Road, despite a lack of funds for the project. The province has planned and funded another LRT line, the Sheppard East, in the same corridor, but two years ago it delayed the project.

Brown hasn’t said he’ll fund a subway extension on Sheppard – always a touchstone project for Ford and his brother Rob Ford – but Cho said Brown “listens” so he would consider it.

“I’m all for subway, and will fight for subway once I get elected,” said Cho.

Neethan Shan, who ran against both Cho and Balkissoon in 2014, and also ran against Cho in two municipal elections, seeking Cho’s council seat, is set to be acclaimed the riding’s New Democratic candidate Thursday, May 26.

The riding’s Liberals will nominate their candidate Sunday, June 5.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....-liberals/
RCO

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Councillor Raymond Cho a strong candidate: Ontario Conservative leader Patrick Brown

Provincial candidates announced

Provincial candidates announced

Staff photo/DAVID NICKLE

City Centre Mirror
By David Nickle

Ontario Conservative leader Patrick Brown welcomed news that Toronto Councillor Raymond Cho is interested in seeking the PC nomination in Scarborough-Rouge River.

Cho, 79, announced on insidetoronto.com that he would be seeking the nomination, with former city councillor Doug Ford as his campaign manager.

Brown stopped short of endorsing Cho’s candidacy when asked about it following a meeting with Toronto Mayor John Tory.

“Well we’re having an open transparent democratic nomination and I’m encouraging as many candidates as possible to come forward,” Brown said. “Doug Ford is entitled to run, as is Raymond Cho. I would say I’m encouraged that there is such interest in the nomination in the city of Toronto.”

Brown said that Cho’s experience as a city councillor would give him an advantage.

“Obviously people who sit on council are strong candidates,” he said. “As someone who’s been a councillor for two terms as I have in Barrie, I found it to be an advantage.”

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....ick-brown/
Willg

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how winnable a riding this is, but I do know that this Cho has been all over the map in terms of his political affiliation and placed 3rd in the last election he ran in for the PC's. Perhaps the party can find someone younger and fresher?
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thought.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a riding that's boundaries are radically changing in the next election in a region the PCs haven't historically had a ton of success in even when they were winning elections.

While Raymond Cho is an unexciting option;
He is a known commodity in a riding that has lacked profile for the Tories.

Its a lot of energy to use up in a riding that won't exist in a few months;
Cho is seemingly the path of least resistance.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: