Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Its a riding that's boundaries are radically changing in the next election in a region the PCs haven't historically had a ton of success in even when they were winning elections.

While Raymond Cho is an unexciting option;
He is a known commodity in a riding that has lacked profile for the Tories.

Its a lot of energy to use up in a riding that won't exist in a few months;
Cho is seemingly the path of least resistance.

While Cho is a known commodity and might be able to get the highest vote total for the PCs it still seems unlikely he can win.

I'm torn between the idea of running the candidate who can get the highest vote total and running someone who would be a new fresh face for the party. The PCs are trying to rebrand and I think running say a younger woman could show that the party is changing and bringing in new people. As opposed to running the 79 year old candidate who came third in the previous election.

The by-election likely won't get much attention so people in the riding probably won't know who's running for the PCs let alone others in the province.
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there are now 2 candidates for the by election , pc and liberal , I really haven't heard of the liberal candidate at all , not known provincially or federally )

Liberals nominate Piragal Thiru as candidate for Toronto byelection

Ontario Liberal Leader Kathleen Wynne

The Canadian Press
Published Sunday, June 5, 2016 6:35PM EDT

TORONTO -- Ontario's Liberals have nominated a candidate for a provincial byelection in Toronto.

Piragal Thiru will run under the Liberal banner in the riding of Scarborough-Rouge River.

The Liberals describe Thiru as a long time regional volunteer and policy professional.

On Saturday the Progressive Conservatives have nominated city councillor Raymond Cho to run in the east Toronto riding.

The Scarborough-Rouge River seat has been vacant since Liberal backbencher Bas Balkissoon abruptly resigned in March.

Premier Kathleen Wynne has six months to call a byelection to replace Balkissoon, but no date has yet been set for the vote.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/libe.....-1.2932373
RCO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it appars the ndp have a candidate here as well , so all 3 main parties are ready to go but no date set yet )

New trustee to seek MPP seat — just four months after being elected

Neethan Shan's opponents had accused him of not being committed to the trustee job. Now just four months in, he’s decided to run for MPP.

Recently elected Toronto public school board trustee Neethan Shan is now running as the NDP candidate for MPP in Scarborough-Rouge River.

Recently elected Toronto public school board trustee Neethan Shan is now running as the NDP candidate for MPP in Scarborough-Rouge River.

By Kristin RushowyEducation Reporter

Thu., May 19, 2016

Just four months on the job, and he’s already looking for a new one.

Neethan Shan, a newly elected trustee on the Toronto District School Board, will run under the NDP banner in the MPP race in Scarborough-Rouge River — a seat that became vacant with Liberal Bas Balkissoon’s sudden resignation from provincial politics.

When Shan ran in a trustee byelection held in January, his opponents accused him of not being committed to the board and simply seeking any political seat, given he’s run for different levels of office seven times since 2003. He was elected once before, as trustee in York Region in 2006.

However, less than a year on the job there, he took a leave to run, unsuccessfully, for MPP in Scarborough, and then returned to the board.

He told the Star once the provincial byelection is called, he will take a leave from the Toronto District School Board.

“My loyalty is to the cause for education, and interest in the cause,” he said. “It’s the same area I’m running in for the byelection. If the population in this area feels that the provincial level is where I should be, then that’s (their) decision.

“I love what I’m doing as a trustee; I’m perfectly happy with it … but the local population will decide if I should represent these issues at the provincial level.”

In an email to fellow trustees, sent out last week, Shan said after two months as trustee he began “engaging in serious thought and deliberations” and two months later decided to seek the NDP nomination.

“It was a difficult decision but it is a step I need to take in order to support the local community in its continued advocacy for social and economic justice. As the election is expected in the summer, I don't anticipate it having any significant impact, if any, with my role as the trustee.”

He told the Star many people in the community urged him to run.

Board Chair Robin Pilkey said she heard from Shan, who explained to her why he was running.

“Trustees have to decide what they think is appropriate in certain cases,” she said, adding “I understand why he’s running, and he has told me that he will be able to keep doing both things” until the writ is issued.

Because of unusual circumstances — trustees Shaun Chen being elected to Ottawa and Michael Ford resigning to run for city councilor, and the deaths of two other trustees — the board has faced the disruption, and high cost, of four byelections.

When asked if the board would have to call another, she quipped: “Please don’t speculate — my heart can’t take it.”

The trustee byelection Shan ran in — which he won by a landslide — cost the board $250,000 alone.

Shan said if elected, he would “hold the government accountable for cuts and advocate for changes needed in the school system … it’s going to be a challenge — this is a Liberal stronghold in some ways provincially — but I am taking up that challenge and there are people who feel I need to do this.”

He said while fellow trustees “understand the situation” he’s in — “obviously the byelection timing is something I had not planned for” — not all were supportive of his decision “but generally there is support.”

When asked about criticism about the number of times he has run, he noted that he’s always run against well-established politicians. As well, he said, “for people who have been on the margins, including myself as a racialized person” it’s important to take advantage of opportunities to be heard. “It may not look like that from the outside,” he added.

Karla Webber-Gallagher, the Ontario NDP’s provincial secretary, said Shan will be acclaimed as the NDP’s Scarborough-Rouge River candidate at a May 26 meeting.

“We’re excited to have Neethan as our candidate,” she said via email. “He’s been a fighter for Scarborough for many years and Scarborough-Rouge River needs an MPP who will stand up for the interests of this community, stand up for Scarborough families, and for high-quality education.”

Where he's run:

•2003: Ran unsuccessfully for York Region District School board in Markham.

•2006: Elected trustee for two wards in Markham, York Region District School Board.

•2007: Less than a year serving as trustee, took a leave and ran unsuccessfully for MPP in Scarborough-Guildwood for the NDP. He then returned to being a trustee.

•2010: Ran unsuccessfully for Toronto city Ward 42, Scarborough-Rouge River.

•2011: Ran unsuccessfully for Scarborough-Rouge River riding in provincial election, for the NDP, losing to Liberal Bas Balkissoon.

•2014: Ran unsuccessfully for Ward 42, Scarborough-Rouge River in the Toronto municipal election.

•2016: Won byelection for TDSB trustee, with the backing of the local unions, in Scarborough-Rouge River.

•2016: After just four months on the job, he’ll be running for the NDP, seeking to replace Bas Balkisoon who recently resigned as MPP in Scarborough-Rouge River.

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2016/05/19/new-trustee-to-seek-mpp-seat-just-four-months-after-being-elected.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( it looks like a very competitive by election in coming in Scarborough rouge river , I think the liberals are getting worried about this one , its also odd they haven't set a date for the 2 by-elections yet )

Liberals readying to campaign to keep Scarborough-Rouge River
Premier won't say when she'll call byelection in Scarborough-Rouge River

By Nick Westoll, Toronto Sun
First posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 06:52 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, July 16, 2016 07:01 PM EDT

It sure looked a lot like campaign season in Scarborough-Rouge River on Saturday.

Although Premier Kathleen Wynne has yet to call a byelection in the riding, she was at the campaign office opening for Liberal candidate Piragal Thiru on Saturday, along with several members of cabinet and supporters.

Wynne and Thiru, who works as a transportation policy planner, both touted the Ontario government’s investment in the Scarborough subway extension.

“We’ve been there with the money for the subway,” Wynne said, adding the government is also investing in other area infrastructure projects.

Thiru echoed the premier’s pro-subway comments.

“As a transit planner, I totally see the value in investing in transit,” he said.

“We know that more transit is good for the community. It means we’re going to stimulate our economy.”

The Scarborough-Rouge River seat has been vacant since Liberal Bas Balkissoon resigned back in March.

But on Saturday, Wynne was tightlipped about when the byelection would officially begin.

“We’re getting the campaign started and we look forward to a great campaign. Stay tuned,” Wynne said.

Ontario PC candidate and city councillor Raymond Cho said his campaign — which is getting a helping hand from Doug Ford — will be ready for whenever the byelection happens.

Cho said the subway extension is a top local priority for him and the party.

“Most people in my riding predominantly want to have a subway,” Cho said, adding he’s been pushing for the new connection. “They feel Scarborough is forgotten or been neglected.”

Cho said he has heard from residents who want change while citing the provincial Liberal government’s 13-year rule at Queen’s Park.

The Toronto Sun attempted to speak with NDP candidate Neethan Shan, but he was unavailable for comment.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....ouge-river
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still not convinced both ridings are not retained by the OLP;

However its interesting that its taken so long to actually get this show on the road;
Bas Balkissoon resigned at the end of March for goodness sake.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byelection called for Scarborough-Rouge River

Danny Longo

August 03, 2016 08:55 am

Byelection called for Scarborough-Rouge River
A provincial byelection has been called in Scarborough-Rouge River.

Premier Kathleen Wynne called the byelection today after former MPP Bas Balkissoon resigned from the legislature on March 22, 2016.

Under the Election Act, elections must be called on a Wednesday and held the fifth Thursday after the date of the issue of the writ.

Advance polls begin Saturday August 20th, 2016 and are available through Friday August 26th, 2016. Advance polls are open from 10:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M.

Election day is Thursday September 1st, 2016 with polls open from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M.

The Liberals also named their candidate for Scarborough-Rouge River as Piragal Thiru.

He welcomed the drop of the writ and the start of his campaign to be the riding’s next provincial representative.

Thiru says “I am proud to represent the Ontario Liberal Party in this by-election and I am proud to put my name forward to serve the people of Scarborough.”

The premier has not yet announced a date for a byelection in Ottawa-Vanier to replace former attorney general Madeleine Meilleur.

She resigned in June just after the legislature took its summer recess.

http://www.inews880.com/syn/60/157585/157585
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
I am still not convinced both ridings are not retained by the OLP;

However its interesting that its taken so long to actually get this show on the road;
Bas Balkissoon resigned at the end of March for goodness sake.

we now have a date for the scarborough by election but not Ottawa vanier , which is truly bizarre as by elections are almost always combined to have 2 on different dates is unheard of really I can't recall it happening before in recent memory .

I'm not sure if either are in play for the opposition or not , there both core liberal ridings and although its highly likely the liberals do much worse than ever before it might still not be enough to lose but we'll see and hope for a pc victory . Raymond Cho being a city councillor in terms of profile should have the advantage over the new virtually unheard of liberal candidate but its still such a liberal riding .
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDP files complaint with Elections Ontario over Liberals' byelection launch

By Shawn Jeffords, Political Bureau Chief
First posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 08:04 PM EDT

The NDP have filed a complaint with Elections Ontario about the way the Liberal government launched a byelection this week in Scarborough.

NDP MPP Gilles Bisson has written to Chief Electoral Officer Greg Essensa, asking he investigate the writ announcement which came Wednesday morning. The Liberal Party campaign team in Scarborough-Rouge River announced the launch of the four-week campaign in a press release before the government and Elections Ontario could confirm the election had been called.

Bisson alleged that was a violation of Ontario’s Elections Act.

“It suggests collusion between the Premier’s Office and the Liberal Campaign,” Bisson wrote. “In addition to giving their campaign an unfair advantage, this undermines Ontarians’ faith that elections are being conducted fairly.”

NDP leader Andrea Horwath told the Toronto Sun that it’s Premier Kathleen Wynne’s responsibility to ensure her party plays by the rules. She accused the Liberals of “gaming” the system in what is expected to be a hotly contested vote.

“We’re looking for the Chief Electoral Officer to rebuke Kathleen Wynne and remind her that there needs to be proper process followed,” Horwath said Thursday. “She’s the premier of this province, it should be about running fair elections, not about gaming things for Liberal advantage.”

Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown, who campaigned in Scarborough with candidate Raymond Cho Thursday, said he wasn’t surprised by the tactic. It’s consistent with the disregard that the government has shown for voters in the past, he said.

“I think unfortunately, it’s typical of how Kathleen Wynne has run the government of Ontario,” he said. “It’s not about what’s in the best interests of the people of Ontario. It’s what’s in the best interests of the Liberal Party.”

Liberal Party spokesman Patricia Favre apologized for the error that led to the message being sent out early.

“This was the case of an eager local campaign that should have waited two minutes until the government release was posted,” she said in an email.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016.....ion-launch
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there has been almost no media coverage of this by-election although I managed to find 1 article about a visit by Brown to the riding that was published on a local Toronto website )

Aug 11, 2016 | Vote 0 0

Ontario PC leader Brown blasts Liberals for Scarborough’s poor health-care record

Provincial byelection in Scarborough-Rouge River set for Sept. 1

Mike Adler/Metroland

Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown (left) stands with Scarborough-Rouge River byelection candidate Raymond Cho and Dr. Douglas Mark, a local physician and spokesperson for DoctorsOntario, at a clinic in the Agincourt Professional Centre on Wednesday. Aug. 10, 2016.

Scarborough Mirror
By Mike Adler

Health care in Scarborough isn’t “up to par” and, before resigning, Scarborough-Rouge River MPP Bas Balkissoon recognized that, Patrick Brown says.

With a byelection campaign to replace Balkissoon underway, the Ontario Progressive Conservative leader recalled the Liberal MPP said the care offered in the area didn’t meet “the needs of modern medicine.”

The plain-speaking Balkissoon was commenting in April 2015 on the poor conditions in local hospitals, where emergency departments are overcrowed and, at The Scarborough Hospital General campus, staff make do with Ontario’s oldest operating rooms.

Standing with PC candidate Raymond Cho and Dr. Douglas Mark, a spokesperson for DoctorsOntario, on Wednesday, Aug. 10, Brown expanded Scarborough’s health woes to “five-year” waits for long-term care (LTC), province-wide cuts the Liberal government has imposed on hospitals, and physician pay.

Cho, a local councillor for 25 years, said he’s watched health care in Scarborough diminish, and blames the Liberals. “Their incompetence is really hurting patients.”

The PC leader said the Central East LHIN (Local Health Integration Network), which includes Scarborough, has the province’s longest waits for long-term care beds.

It’s true the LHIN has the largest number of beds in LTC homes waiting for redevelopment, including slightly more than half of beds in Scarborough, but a five-year wait for beds isn’t normal in Scarborough. Brown said he got that number from the Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care, whose recent-built facilities, cultural care and splendid record put its beds in high demand.

Health Minister Dr. Eric Hoskins chose an expert panel to study Scarborough and Durham Region hospitals, and this year backed all its recommendations.

TSH and Rouge Valley Health System’s Centenary campus are expected to merge this fall.

After that, the province, if following the panel, would remake the General’s operating suites and two of the three Scarborough emergency rooms, plus make plans for a “comprehensive” new Scarborough hospital campus.

During his press conference at an Agincourt clinic, Brown all but called such expectations a lie. “They do these reviews to buy time,” he said, pointing out none of the projects are on the province’s 10-year list for capital improvements.

Proposals for new operating rooms at the General were studied before, he added, but “the cupboard is bare.”

Liberal MPPs in Scarborough - Balkissoon included, before he suddenly quit politics in March - insisted for years they’re working to push the projects through behind the scenes at Queen’s Park.

In May, with the by-election brewing, New Democratic Party Leader Andrea Horwath stood outside the Centenary and said the Liberal government had created a “crisis in health care in Scarborough” and should be ashamed of how it “turned its back” on calls for upgrades at local hospitals.

A Scarborough resident who has practiced in the area for 30 years, Mark called the proposed agreement between the province and physicians “an insult to doctors” which would result in them being forced to further “ration” care to patients.

The Liberal government must go, and Scarborough-Rouge River should vote for Cho, he said.

Brown didn’t say much about how he’d control Ontario’s massive health care costs, except to say the government needs to “end the waste.”

He’d pull money from the bureaucratic “giant LHINs” - set to expand their powers to manage home care, public health, and “physician resources” - and put it towards patients, he said.

Brown added Ontario has lost manufacturing jobs, which means less government revenue. Better conditions for job-creation would mean more revenue for health care, he argued.

The riding’s byelection is on Sept. 1, and advance polls will open on Aug. 20.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/n.....re-record/
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( there will be a none of the above candidate in scarborough by election )

None of the Above Join Forces in Scarborough-Rouge River by-Election

None of the Above Party of Ontario (NOTA) (CNW Group/None of the Above Party of Ontario (NOTA))

SCARBOROUGH, ON, Aug. 10, 2016 /CNW/ - The Ontario None of the Above Party (NOTA) and Above Znoneofthe, the person, are combining forces for the Scarborough-Rouge River provincial by-election on Sept. 1, 2016.

Both NOTA Party candidate and leader Greg Vezina and Independent Candidate Above Znoneofthe, ran in the recent Feb. 11, 2016, Whitby-Oshawa by-election, finishing fifth and sixth out of ten candidates.

The NOTA Party campaigns for the 3Rs of Direct Democracy; Referendum, Recall and electoral and legislative Reforms.

"Anybody who cares enough to get the None of the Above option on the ballot to legally change their name to it is welcome in the NOTA Party and would make a great candidate. That really took some balls," said None of the Above Party leader Greg Vezina.

"We both want the same thing, to see the people have a choice to say they do not want to vote for any of the big party candidates, but still want to show that they can vote, and that the parties will have to work harder to earn their vote, not just be Best of the Worst," said candidate Above Znoneofthe.

SOURCE None of the Above Party of Ontario (NOTA)

Image with caption: "None of the Above Party of Ontario (NOTA) (CNW Group/None of the Above Party of Ontario (NOTA))". Image available at: http://photos.newswire.ca/imag.....751225.jpg

For further information: Greg Vezina, Leader, None of the Above Party, (905) 501-0010, info@nota.ca, www.nota.ca; Above Znoneofthe, Candidate, Scarborough-Rouge River, 647 571-4666, znoneofthe@gmail.com

http://www.newswire.ca/news-re.....07631.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( this is a by-election the media has completely turned a blind eye to , virtually no media coverage in Toronto or Ontario at all , did manage to find this article on how 11 candidates some from parties I have never even heard of are running . pauper party ? really

Candidates for the Scarborough - Rouge River provincial by-election

TORONTO, Aug. 18, 2016 /CNW/ - The candidate nomination period for the Scarborough—Rouge River provincial by-election closed at 2:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time) on Thursday August 18th, 2016.

There are 11 candidates for the by-election to be held on Thursday September 1st, 2016.
•Raymond Cho, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario
•Priyan De Silva, Green Party of Ontario
•Ania Krosinska, Trillium Party of Ontario
•Dwight McLean, The Peoples Political Party
•Neethan Shan, New Democratic Party of Ontario
•Wayne Simmons, Freedom Party of Ontario
•Allen Small, Ontario Libertarian Party
•Piragal Thiru, Ontario Liberal Party
•John Turmel, Pauper Party of Ontario
•Queenie Yu, Independent
•Above Znoneofthe, None of the Above Party

Advance polls for the Scarborough—Rouge River provincial by-election begin on Saturday August 20th, 2016, and are available through Friday August 26th, 2016. Advance polls are open from 10:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time).

Elections Ontario will be using electronic poll books and vote tabulators in all advance poll voting locations. Election officials will use the electronic poll books to strike voters names from the Voters List before providing them with their ballot. Voters will then cast their ballot using vote tabulators which feature assistive voting technologies that enable all electors to vote independently.

Special ballot voting continues at the Scarborough—Rouge River returning office until Wednesday August 31st, 2016 at 6:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time).

On Election Day, Thursday September 1st, 2016, voting locations will be open from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M. (Eastern Standard Time).

Canadian citizens who reside in the electoral district of Scarborough—Rouge River, and are at least 18 years of age or older on Election Day, are eligible to vote. Eligible voters are reminded to bring their Notice of Registration Card and proof of identity or one piece of identification that includes both their name and residential address with them to vote. To be added to the Voters List, eligible voters must show one piece of identification that includes both their name and residential address.

A detailed list of acceptable identification documents is available at elections.on.ca.

For more information visit elections.on.ca or call 1-888-668-8683 (TTY: 1-888-292-2312).

Elections Ontario is the non-partisan agency responsible for administering provincial elections, by-elections and referenda.

Disponible en français

SOURCE Elections Ontario

For further information: Elections Ontario Media Relations, 1-866-252-2152, media@elections.on.ca
RELATED LINKS
http://elections.on.ca

http://www.newswire.ca/news-re.....25651.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the star did write 1 article about the by-election I found online )

Transit and power bills head Scarborough-Rouge River byelection issues

Two NDP and PC foes face each other again as both parties try to wrestle Scarborough-Rouge River from the Liberals.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and candidate Neethan Shan, right, meet homeowner Sabir Shaikh to discuss his family's hydro bill during campaigning in Scarborough-Rouge River.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and candidate Neethan Shan, right, meet homeowner Sabir Shaikh to discuss his family's hydro bill during campaigning in Scarborough-Rouge River. (Andrew Francis Wallace / Toronto Star) | Order this photo

It’s déjà vu all over again for voters in Scarborough-Rouge River, where campaign signs are being recycled aplenty in the hotly contested Sept. 1 byelection.

New Democrat candidate and school trustee Neethan Shan is back for a third attempt since 2011 in a rematch of the 2014 provincial election against veteran city councillor Raymond Cho, a Progressive Conservative.

Both lost to Liberal Bas Balkissoon, who resigned abruptly without explanation in March after 11 years as MPP. Picking up the Liberal banner is first-time candidate Piragal Thiru, a transportation planner for York Region.

“This is a battleground,” Thiru says as he runs door to door in Morningside Heights, a newer subdivision where his NDP rival happens to live.

Long public transit times to downtown and high electricity bills are big issues with voters, along with a push for better local health care and concerns about expensive car insurance rates in Scarborough.

Many lawns sport signs for the major parties, often two and occasionally three different ones.

First-time candidate Piragal Thiru, a transportation planner, hopes to keep Scarborough-Rouge River in Liberal hands in the Sept. 1 byelection, where he faces city councillor Raymond Cho for the PC's and New Democrat school trustee Neethan Shan.

First-time candidate Piragal Thiru, a transportation planner, hopes to keep Scarborough-Rouge River in Liberal hands in the Sept. 1 byelection, where he faces city councillor Raymond Cho for the PC's and New Democrat school trustee Neethan Shan. (Andrew Francis Wallace)

It makes for a forest of political diversity that reflects the riding’s ethnic variety, with more than 90 per cent of residents from visible minorities.

Aijaz Syed, who has Shan and Cho signs in his front yard, says they don’t necessarily signify support.

“They came and I talked to them and they asked if they could put up a sign,” he tells the Star after a quick front-porch chat with Thiru, who managed John Tory’s successful 2014 mayoral campaign in the area.

“Whatever we decide on the day of the election is the way we decide. I’m not 100 per cent decided yet.”

Advance polls opened Saturday.

With just under two years until the next provincial election, the byelection is a test of strength for the Liberal government’s fortress Toronto, where it holds all but two seats that are in NDP hands.

It’s also a barometer for new Progressive Conservative Leader Patrick Brown, who has made determined efforts to reach out to cultural communities that are well represented in Scarborough-Rouge River.

Although Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government trailed the PCs by 13 points in a Forum Research poll this week and her own popularity ranks below both NDP Leader Andrea Horwath and Brown, the Liberals are counting on their long history of representing the area and the popularity of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to help carry the riding.

Opponents, however, fan flames of discontent with a government they accuse of treating Scarborough-Rouge River like a poor cousin.

“They claim to be champions of transit, but a lot of people are frustrated,” Shan says in his bustling campaign office at Sheppard Ave. and McCowan Rd., where municipal plans once called for a subway station and east-west light rail transit line. Council recently settled on a one-stop subway extension to Scarborough Town Centre with provincial aid.

He wants the proposed extension to the Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit line to “come a little further north” than the University of Toronto Scarborough campus, which is south of the riding that runs north of Highway 401 between Midland Ave. and the Pickering town line.

“Access to rapid transit is critical for many communities, both for the time they need to spend with their families . . . but also to have meaningful employment opportunities,” adds Shan, who lost to Cho in the 2010 and 2014 city council elections.

Veteran PC city councillor Raymond Cho, 79, says the Liberal government has been taking the riding of Scarborough-Rouge River for granted.

Veteran PC city councillor Raymond Cho, 79, says the Liberal government has been taking the riding of Scarborough-Rouge River for granted. (Andrew Francis Wallace)

From Morningside Heights in the northeastern part of the riding, getting downtown can take two hours with transfers from bus to bus and the Scarborough Rapid Transit line to the subway.

“Transit’s the biggest thing. We feel very disconnected from the city,” says Nabila Sidat, an elementary school teacher who lives near Sheppard and Markham Rd.

“A lot of promises have been made but nothing seems to materialize.”

Despite being at the decision-making table for 25 years on Metro and city council representing a ward that constitutes about half the riding, Cho echoes that sentiment and raises concerns about rising provincial debt and a spate of Liberal scandals.

“So many people are fed up. The Liberal government, they just take this riding for granted, they’ve been neglecting Scarborough,” says Cho, 79, who is more than double the age of his main opponents.

Shan and Thiru are both 37, came to Toronto as refugees from of Sri Lanka as children and frequently break into their native Tamil on doorsteps.

“Age is only a number,” adds the Korean-born Cho, a former social worker campaigning at the Malvern Town Centre mall in running shoes and a dark suit after visiting a nearby senior’s building.

“City politics and provincial politics should be connected and I am a good bridge man,” he continues.

With the Liberal government embarked on a 12-year, $160 billion transit improvement and road infrastructure program, Thiru, who has seen the benefits of rapid transit bus lanes while working in York Region, says “I want to see commute times reduced.

“We have buses but they’re not the fastest solution. We need to come up with good solid rapid transit infrastructure,” he adds.

“People understand it’s better to do those things in government than in opposition.”

He points to free university tuition for children from families with incomes below $160,000 and full-day kindergarten, which saves parents thousands on daycare, as Liberal programs that are beneficial to the riding.

Thiru and Cho both live outside the riding boundaries, although the Liberal candidate says he and his wife will resume their house hunt in Scarborough-Rouge River after the vote.

Shan has lived in Morningside Heights since 2010.

The Green Party candidate is Priyan De Silva.

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/08/20/transit-and-power-bills-head-byelection-issues.html
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the cbc wrote 1 article about how advance polls were now open in the riding , virtually no press coverage of this by-election compared to others to take place in the past here . also been no public polls released unlike other by-elections )

Scarborough-Rouge River opens advanced polls for Bas Balkissoon's vacant seat

Provincial riding up for grabs until election day on Sept. 1

CBC News Posted: Aug 20, 2016 1:25 PM ET| Last Updated: Aug 20, 2016 7:25 PM ET

NDP candidate Neethan Shan prepares to cast his ballot at the advanced polling station at Mary Shadd Public School Saturday.

■ Scarborough-Rouge River byelection begins with accusations, request for Elections Ontario investigation

The advanced polls in the provincial Scarborough-Rouge River riding opened today for the byelection to replace Liberal MPP Bas Balkissoon.
■Scarborough-Rouge River byelection begins with accusations
■Ontario byelection set for Sept. 1 in east Toronto riding

Liberal candidate Piragal Thiru faces city councillor and Progressive Conservative candidate Raymond Cho, as well as school trustee Neethan Shan — running for the NDP — in what's been a Liberal stronghold since the riding was created in 1999.

Scarborough-Rouge River byelection
Advanced polls opened in the Scarborough-Rouge River byelection Saturday, with election day set for Sept. 1.

Balkissoon, the former MPP, resigned from his post in March with little explanation other than to tell the Scarborough Mirror in April that he wanted to spend more time with family. Neither Liberal Premier Kathleen Wynne nor the party have spoken about the reason for Balkissoon's departure. He had held the seat since 2005.

But PC Leader Patrick Brown spent Saturday canvassing with his candidate, Cho, who is running in the riding for his second time. Cho said that he's heard the same message from people during the campaign — that they want a change from the Wynne government.

It was sentiment reflected earlier this week in a Forum Research Poll, which found that 41 per cent of people would vote for the Tories if a general election were called. The Liberals polled at 28 per cent, while the NDP stood at 23 per cent of the vote, according to the poll of 1,097 voters.

The Liberal candidate, however, said that as a transit planner he's best positioned to serve Scarborough, provided Toronto follows through on its recent vote to move ahead with a roughly $3-billion subway extension from Kennedy station.

A Scarborough resident at the advance polls Saturday said that NDP candidate Shan had an advantage in that he speaks Tamil, the mother tongue in roughly 45 per cent of homes in the municipal district of Scaborough-Rouge River, which has similar boundary lines.

Those wanting to vote in advance of election day can do so until Aug. 26. Election day is set for Sept. 1.

The candidates include:
■Raymond Cho for the Progressive Conservatives
■Priyan De Silva, for the Green Party
■Ania Krosinska, for the Trillium Party
■Dwight McLean for the People Party
■Neethan Shan for the NDP
■Wayne Simmons for the Freedom Party
■Allen Small for the Libertarians
■Piragal Thiru for the Liberal Party
■John Turmel for the Paupers
■Queenie Yu as an independent

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/.....-1.3729411
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the unlikely event that Cho wins it will be a testament to the new ground game under Patrick Brown.

However I would be hard-pressed to believe the Liberals will not retain.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
In the unlikely event that Cho wins it will be a testament to the new ground game under Patrick Brown.

However I would be hard-pressed to believe the Liberals will not retain.

looking at the new polls and wynne's 16 % approval rating , I wouldn't say a liberal defeat in scarbourgh rouge river be a total shock . there has to be a reason why the liberal friendly media is virtually ignoring the by-election entirely ( the amount of press for this vote is record low compared to others maybe since its taking place during the summer that has reduced interest but still ) , my guess is they don't like what there seeing there and don't want the by-election to be a big story if the liberal does lose .
if the liberal candidate does somehow hold the riding its not going to be by margin's we've seen in the past . I also suspect the ndp candidate who's ran several times before will do fairly well .

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: