Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: NYC "Big Soda" Ban Struck Down by State Supreme Co Reply with quote

Quote:
New York City's groundbreaking limit on the size of sugar-laden drinks has been struck down by a judge shortly before it was set to take effect.

The restriction was supposed to start Tuesday.

Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Milton Tingling writes that loopholes "effectively defeat the stated purpose" of the rule.

The rule prohibits selling non-diet soda and some other sugary beverages in containers bigger than 16 ounces. It applies at places ranging from pizzerias to sports stadiums, though not at supermarkets or convenience stores.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/s.....k-ban.html
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a City where;

Quote:
total indebtedness is expected to grow to $61.96 billion by the beginning of FY 2016

http://www.comptroller.nyc.gov.....eport.shtm

You would think there would be bigger fish to fry then what size soda you can buy?

I never understood the need for the Mayor or government to have to step in and legislated to its citizens that drinking 50oz of sugar and goo is a bad thing?

Nor do I feel any need for Government to have to regulate the size of the container of purchasing perfectly legal substances within, how far is this from not allowing an individual from purchasing a large pizza?
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was a dumb idea from the start and really not necessary , i'm not one to order huge drinks myself but was it really ever the cities business to create such a rule ? i think some on the left just feel a need to ban things to get in the news and feel important
cosmostein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

While I can't fathom being so thirsty I would need 50oz of soda (how long would that take to fill???) I don't see it being the governments business as to who drinks what.

In a nation where over 270m Americans are insured by Private Health Insurance I fail to see the "drain on society" or "drain on the taxpayers" argument.

This is nanny state at its finest.

Should you drink 100oz of sugar water everyday?
No.

However I would suspect that eating red meat does more damage to the bodies of Americans then soda does, why isn't Bloomberg going after Americas Heartland and demanding a red meat ban or a red meat portion size man, who truly needs a 20oz Porterhouse Steak?

The problem with this ban is that its arbitrary and ambiguous.

A double gulp apparently has 744 calories;
http://www.sugarstacks.com/beverages.htm

Whereas a large mushroom and sausage thin crust pizza apparently has 2440 calories;
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fo.....a-55008805

Perhaps a ban on large pizzas is in order?

A big Breakfast at McDonalds appears to have 740 calories, 1090 if you want Hot Cakes
http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com.....nfacts.pdf

Perhaps a ban on all fast food items over 500 calories needs to be implemented?

The Soda Size ban is utterly ridiculous because its so arbitrary and so incredibility strange that this singular item is being targeted.

All this would have done is allow for Cities to further manage what's "good for us" and while I appreciate the zeal its really not their mandate. The mayor of a major city isn't elected to make sure my caloric intake from sugary drinks is managed, they are elected to manage the city itself not micromanage its citizens.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience in the US, the soda is probably 20% ice.

If you are going to go after sugar drinks, why not GMOs? -- or at least label them -- or industrial foods like high fructose corn syrup, and whatever they do to soybeans? ... all these things, cumulatively have contributed to a triple epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

More and more, it is emerging that old-fashioned foods -- like butter and beef -- have been falsely accused.

There is so much misinformation in the 'nutritional' field that I don't know how anybody can trust it. It's as bad as academic economics.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:

If you are going to go after sugar drinks, why not GMOs? -- or at least label them -- or industrial foods like high fructose corn syrup, and whatever they do to soybeans? ... all these things, cumulatively have contributed to a triple epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.

Could you imagine Bloomberg trying to take on the Corn Growers Lobby?
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd be taking on a big chunk of Agricorp ... believe me, soy beans are a big thing, as well as corn. Both are processed and turned into the elements of the crappier food that is in supermarkets these days. But its a major stream of food into our food chain.

I know, it sounds faddish, but even without the GMO issue, the plain truth is the food prepared with corn and soybean products are almost synthetic products. The original grains are broken down and used, for the oil, for their meal, and even those are 'refined' into a variety of special products, like soy milk. It's like the dairy milk that doesn't go sour. They can achieve that by taking things out of the food.

It goes into all kinds of foods, as thickeners, and so on ... replacing some more expensive, or more prone to spoilage product. The thing is, the things that spoil food -- the most sought out by the bacteria world -- and the most nutritionally dense part of the food.

I live in a prime agricultural area, and see it with my own eyes. Tomatoes sit in the field, producing green tomatoes that will, some day, ripen. But the normal practice is to coordinate the harvesting of the tomatoes to fit the factory capacity. So they spray the plants, and the tomatoes start to ripen, all together, regardless of their stage of development. I don't know if it does harm. The tomatoes are used for tomato paste.

But there are lots of these kinds of practices in agriculture, that make the plant behave in a certain way, but at a nutritional cost. The spray is an issue I don't know anything about. I don't even know what spray they use.

The most important thing is that there are systematic lacks appearing in the society's diet, and the way nutrition is, it serves as a scientific cover.

I don't see this as anything regulation can cure. Officialdom works on behalf of Agribusiness. They believe in what they are doing. But it is a situation that ought to be solved by market mechanisms. It involves education and supply. It costs more money to buy real food. But it isn't pointless.

Jump to: