Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Time to name names , who in press gallery hates harper ? Reply with quote

( canadians have a right to know what supposedly neutral journalists hate PM harper , so they can decide if there news coverage in balanced or in fact biased against him . there personal views could be shaping the coverage )

Prime Minister Stephen Harper hated by Press Gallery: Bonokoski
Name some names. Who are the haters?

By MARK BONOKOSKI, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: April 10, 2011 2:13am

Writing in French recently in La Presse, the Globe and Mail’s parliamentary bureau chief, John Ibbitson, stated it is “no secret” several members of the national press gallery in Ottawa “hate” Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

Hate is a strong word.

But there is no milder translation for the word Ibbitson chose to use.

He used “detestent.” Translated into English, it means “detest, hate, abominate, loathe, execrate or despise.” All are poison.

Now, it would be safe to say John Ibbitson is no dummy. He is not inarticulate.

In fact, his profile with the Lavin Agency’s speaker’s bureau is quite lavish, having him returning to Canada in 2009 after being the Globe’s Washington bureau chief in order to cap a career “unmatched by any journalist in North America or beyond.” This is high praise.

His books, says Lavin, have “sparked controversies from Parliament to the Potomac.”

This is some distance.

But it’s Ibbitson’s plays and fiction, says the agency, which truly help explain “the captivating polish of his style,” adding that his novel, The Landing, even won the Governor General’s Award for Best Children’s Book in 2008.

This, too, is no hyperbole.

So, if Ibbitson used the word “detestent” to describe how some of the press gallery think of Stephen Harper, it would also be safe to say he meant to use the word “detestent.” And that he no doubt “hates” Harper himself, even though it would appear he has not said as much in English, at least not in the Globe and Mail if a quick archive search is any tale of the tape.

It was Norm Spector, former chief of staff to Tory prime minister Brian Mulroney, former Canadian ambassador to Israel, and currently a contributing columnist to the Globe, who first noticed Ibbitson’s use of the word “hate” in La Presse, and posted it on Twitter.

What Ibbitson did not do in his article in La Presse, however, was actually name those members of the press gallery who so obviously “hate” the Conservative leader that it has not escaped his observation since his arrival on Parliament Hill two years ago.

So that leaves them all suspect.

After all, when no one of lesser authority than the parliamentary bureau chief of the venerable Globe and Mail makes such a statement, then its legitimacy can hardly be questioned by mere mortals in the news game.

If I were to say it, for example, it would written off by liberals as coming from the national editorial writer of a right-wing rag of a newspaper chain in order to promote disharmony, and bent on raking the mud in advance of the launch of the Sun News TV network and the simultaneous end of the world as we know it.

But I did not write it. Ibbitson did.

I am just the messenger to shoot.

Now, it has been almost 10 years since I left the Ottawa bubble where, as editor and then publisher of the Ottawa Sun, I was totally immersed in the politics of the town, and then as Sun Media’s national affairs columnist, where the hallways of Parliament Hill were hardly foreign.

The press gallery, back then, was still in great love with Jean Chretien, and thought the Reformers of Preston Manning were nothing but a bunch of extreme western rednecks, and Conservatives, annihilated in 1993, were only a notch above.

But it was a general disdain, not an individual hatred that Ibbitson has now cited.

What Ibbitson needs to do now, however, is name names so the public can be made definitively aware of which journalists in Ottawa have a personal hatred towards the prime minister.

Otherwise, how can the public safely trust any of them?

Or even Ibbitson himself?

— Bonokoski is Sun Media’s national editorial writer

http://www.torontosun.com/comm.....27801.html
queenmandy85

votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing, I'll bet some of those same people went after Chretien, Mulroney and Clark. I remember the attacks on Mike Pearson's Government on 'This Hour Has Seven Days.
Journalists go after the people in power. Political stripe has little to do with it. It is the neccessity to keep the Government accountable. A wise Prime Minister welcomes the feedback and courts the press. They are more likely to give healthy criticism than the sycophants that surround Government Ministers.
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we already know who they are ahem Jeff Simpson, Lawerence Martin Jane Taber ect...

Jump to: