Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that unless the Republicans choose someone who appears moderate then they could face a tough time winning. While its only early, polling has shown only Romney can beat Obama. Once the Republicans pick their candidate that person's numbers may go up.

I don't believe that Ron Paul would run as a Libertarian, unless he's only in it for himself he knows running as a Libertarian or an Independent would jeopardize the Republicans chances of beating Obama.

The Republicans seemed set to win the election, but I don't think they come up with anyone that great to run for President. Obama could likely pull off a McGuinty.
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a blunder, damn bifocals. Have to blame something.

Last edited by Edmund Onward James on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I think that unless the Republicans choose someone who appears moderate then they could face a tough time winning. While its only early, polling has shown only Romney can beat Obama. Once the Republicans pick their candidate that person's numbers may go up.

I don't believe that Ron Paul would run as a Libertarian, unless he's only in it for himself he knows running as a Libertarian or an Independent would jeopardize the Republicans chances of beating Obama.

The Republicans seemed set to win the election, but I don't think they come up with anyone that great to run for President. Obama could likely pull off a McGuinty.

I think you are right about Mitt Romney. And he is sharp, a smart fellow who hasn't flubbed in debates, hasn't cheated or even looked the wrong way at a woman. He said that he was like others presidents who changed their minds about issues such as Ronald Reagan who was once pro-choice.

And should he face Obama, who is already on the slippery slope and something magical has to pull him back, Romney will slice and dice him. What accomplishments can Obama ponitificate about. He will attack and hope the black and hispanics, the unions and teachers, the elitists, especially of Hollywood will rally for him.

Last edited by Edmund Onward James on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitt Romney might not be very exciting or bring anything big and bold to the table but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I heard some Republican commentator say a few weeks ago that people have to stop fooling themselves that anyone else but Romney is qualified to be president.
Toronto Centre

votes: 3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edmund Onward James wrote:
What accomplishments can Obama ponitificate about. He will attack and hope the black and hispanics, the unions and teachers, the elitists, especially of Hollywood will rallyforhim.

While Obama has not had a very good run, bordering on disastrous , he has been able to accomplish some victories.

The economy is not his fault, he certainly is not free of blame on his handling of it, but like Rae back in the 90's , s lot of it was handed to him on a platter.

But Obama did get Bin Laden and he did get Ghadaffi out. Now they are both dead.Not to mention Al Zihkawi (sp?) and a few others that proved elusive.

Other Presidents tried and couldnt get it done

He did pass th ehalth care act, but of course thats bogged down and who knows what the end result will be. Americans want change to healthcare, unless you are a big pharma or Life Co type of person. The rest want something else, and dare say it, likely universal care.

But anyhow, I cant rag on the guy and say he hsa done nothing.
Edmund Onward James

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
Edmund Onward James wrote:
What accomplishments can Obama ponitificate about. He will attack and hope the black and hispanics, the unions and teachers, the elitists, especially of Hollywood will rallyforhim.

While Obama has not had a very good run, bordering on disastrous , he has been able to accomplish some victories.

The economy is not his fault, he certainly is not free of blame on his handling of it, but like Rae back in the 90's , s lot of it was handed to him on a platter.

But Obama did get Bin Laden and he did get Ghadaffi out. Now they are both dead.Not to mention Al Zihkawi (sp?) and a few others that proved elusive.

Other Presidents tried and couldnt get it done

He did pass th ehalth care act, but of course thats bogged down and who knows what the end result will be. Americans want change to healthcare, unless you are a big pharma or Life Co type of person. The rest want something else, and dare say it, likely universal care.

But anyhow, I cant rag on the guy and say he hsa done nothing.

Then perhaps you might like to read Victor Davis Hanson's piece:

http://www.nationalreview.com/.....vis-hanson

Or listen to Charles Krauthammer about the narcissistic commander-in-chief:

http://nation.foxnews.com/char.....t-campaign

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08.....alf-years/
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that Obama hasn't done anything, it's that he's not a conservative and the economy has been fucked.
905 Tory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any of the establishment candidates can beat Obama. They are way too much like him and offer little in terms of change. Paul, on the other hand, is the most un-like Obama with his emphasis on empowering free markets and individual liberty. I think Paul sucks in group debates but if he were to go head-to-head with Obama, he would destroy him as he has no filter and always speaks his mind.

However, I think Romney will take the nomination onto a respectable campaign but ultimately losing because of his lack of a consistent message. Gingrich, who is currently in the top-tier, will do ok but probably doesn't have the ground-game in the early states to pull anything off; he also is a sell-out and a hypocrite and someone needs to call him out on it like Peter Schiff did on Fox News a while back but on a bigger scale.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did Gingrich do?
centrifugal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Mitt Romney might not be very exciting or bring anything big and bold to the table but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I heard some Republican commentator say a few weeks ago that people have to stop fooling themselves that anyone else but Romney is qualified to be president.

The mainstream media and unnamed "commentators" have been telling America Ron Paul can't win for years. I would start ignoring opinion of mainstream sources because they all have some sort of agenda.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mitt Romney is a strong leader, and that he will likely win the nomination. However I do not believe that anyone except for Ron Paul can defeat Obama. The Libertarian vote will go to the republicans if Ron Paul is nominated, and if he isn't nominated all the Libertarians and many republicans will be voting Libertarian. They are going to shoot themselves in the foot if they nominate Mitt.

The question is just how big is the Libertarianism movement? At this point it is difficult to measure but I think most of the support is in the youth. And I do believe it is enough to tip the scale one way or the other.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centrifugal wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

The mainstream media and unnamed "commentators" have been telling America Ron Paul can't win for years. I would start ignoring opinion of mainstream sources because they all have some sort of agenda.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mitt Romney is a strong leader, and that he will likely win the nomination. However I do not believe that anyone except for Ron Paul can defeat Obama. The Libertarian vote will go to the republicans if Ron Paul is nominated, and if he isn't nominated all the Libertarians and many republicans will be voting Libertarian. They are going to shoot themselves in the foot if they nominate Mitt.

The question is just how big is the Libertarianism movement? At this point it is difficult to measure but I think most of the support is in the youth. And I do believe it is enough to tip the scale one way or the other.

Disagree, but okay.
centrifugal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:

Disagree, but okay.

The Libertarian movement has never been as strong as it is now and it is largely because of all the attention Ron Paul is getting. People need to stop fooling themselves and realize that Ron Paul is a real candidate. His followers are in the millions, and they will vote for him regardless of which party he is in. You can' really say the same thing about any other politician.

If you ran all republican candidates as independants no person would get more votes than Ron Paul. I've even heard this discussed on the mainstream media multiple times and it isn't much of a debate.

None of this matters though because he probably won't get the nomination, so it is likely that Obama will have a 2nd term.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centrifugal wrote:
Progressive Tory wrote:

Disagree, but okay.

The Libertarian movement has never been as strong as it is now and it is largely because of all the attention Ron Paul is getting. People need to stop fooling themselves and realize that Ron Paul is a real candidate. His followers are in the millions, and they will vote for him regardless of which party he is in. You can' really say the same thing about any other politician.

If you ran all republican candidates as independants no person would get more votes than Ron Paul. I've even heard this discussed on the mainstream media multiple times and it isn't much of a debate.

None of this matters though because he probably won't get the nomination, so it is likely that Obama will have a 2nd term.

His followers should join the Republican Party then.
905 Tory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
What did Gingrich do?

He took $1.8million from Freddie Mac in 2006, the same time they were facing calls for increased regulation by Congress. Its clear why they paid him.
centrifugal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:

His followers should join the Republican Party then.

Perhaps, and I am sure many of them already are members. At this point I believe the deadline has passed for registering with the party. You can still register but you won't be able to vote in primaries. This is my understanding anyway, please correct me if I am wrong.

But in any case I am trying to speak from the point of view of the Republicans, not the Libertarians. It does not make sense to elect Mitt for the simple reasons explained above.

There is also the possibility than Ron Paul could endorse another candidate, but so far the chances of that are looking pretty slim.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: