Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Morin
|
Mar 17, 2011 - 8:11 AM
|
0 .Clark acclaimed as Conservative candidate

MPP Clark acclaimed. Nepean-Carleton MPP Lisa MacLeod and Leeds-Grenville MPP Steve Clark at Clark’s nomination meeting in Brockville. Courtesy Photo Steve Clark is ready and able to take on all comers in the upcoming Oct. 6 provincial election.

Since his election as MPP, replacing former veteran MPP Bob Runciman, Clark has made a seamless transition onto the provincial political scene.

Last week, Clark was acclaimed by his Progressive Conservative party as the one to run in the next provincial election. Lisa MacLeod, MPP from Nepean Carleton, declared Clark’s nomination at the Quality Hotel Royal Brock in Brockville.

Even though the actual election is months away, Clarke wasted no time in pointing out one of the issues he felt makes a change in the provincial government so important to Ontario residents. After his nomination, he said, “I hear from families every day that they just need a break from the endless taxes and fees they’ve been hit with by the McGuinty government. That’s the message I’ve been making sure the McGuinty government is hearing loud and clear at Queen’s Park.”

Confident that there will be a change in the political leadership after the election, Clark said he was thrilled to have earned the confidence of the PC party members in Leeds and Grenville.

“I’m looking forward to the campaign and an opportunity to be part of a Tim Hudak government that’s going to restore Ontario’s place as the engine of Canada’s economy,” he said.

In a press release, PC Party leader Tim Hudak said, “Steve has earned the confidence of the families in Leeds and Grenville. Together, we will deliver change for hard-working families who need real relief and a chance to catch up.”

Senator Bob Runciman and federal MP Gord Brown were at the nomination meeting.

Clark has a lifelong association and relationship with voters in his riding. His nomination comes a year and one day after he swept through the Leeds and Grenville by-election on March 4, 2010, when he won 66 per cent of the vote.

Clark wasted no time before taking on the Liberal government. He routinely connects with residents and one of the recurring themes he has heard about from voters is the cost of hydro.

“That why,” he said, “I was proud to introduce a resolution at Queen’s Park last fall that would have scrapped McGuinty’s hidden hydro tax and repaid Ontarians the $53 million the tax took from their pockets,” said Clark.

That debate did not end the way the opposition would have liked, but Clark commented, “I was disappointed we couldn’t win that fight, but I certainly wasn’t discouraged. I’m going to continue fighting for the good people of Leeds-Grenville every day until the end of this session and right into the fall campaign.”

http://www.yourottawaregion.co.....-candidate
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall Denley to run for Tories in election
Citizen columnist to run against Bob Chiarelli
By LEE GREENBERG, The Ottawa Citizen May 17, 2011 6:37 AM

.TORONTO - Provincial Conservatives will unveil Ottawa Citizen columnist Randall Denley as their new candidate in the riding of Ottawa West-Nepean at a news conference this morning.

“This is a big deal for us,” said a senior local Tory, who asked not to be named. “It was a close race last time (in the 2010 byelection), but Denley gives us a more popular candidate. This is a big name.”

Denley, a 28-year veteran journalist with the Citizen, served as the paper’s city editor for five years and for the past 18 years has acted as a local columnist.

His work combines frank political insight, well-researched subject matter and crafted prose.

During his tenure at the Citizen, he has developed a reputation as one of the city’s most cogent conservative voices.

Conservative leader Tim Hudak will fly to Ottawa this morning to announce their new star candidate.

Reached late Monday night at his home, Denley would not confirm his candidacy.

“I’ve got no comment on any of that stuff,” he said. “Not a word.”

Denley will be on leave from the Citizen from the time of the announcement until the election, said Carl Neustaedter, the Citizen’s deputy editor.

Conservatives have talked confidently about their chances in Ottawa West-Nepean in the upcoming election. The riding has been held federally since 2006 by Conservative John Baird.

Chiarelli, a well-known former mayor, barely beat low-profile Conservative candidate Beth Graham in a byelection in March 2010, triumphing by roughly 1,260 votes.

“It’s not a guaranteed win, but we feel really good with Randall in there,” the local Tory said.

Reached last night, Chiarelli said Denley would make an “interesting” candidate.

“I welcome Randall to the race and look forward to the opportunity to engaging in a very interesting debate,” he said.

Denley and Chiarelli have a lengthy, and at times hostile, history.

The two men have sparred over a range of issues, dating from Chiarelli’s time as mayor to his more recent incarnation as an MPP at Queen’s Park.

“His (Denley’s) self-interested deductive reasoning knows no bounds when it comes to spinning a reason to criticize a McGuinty, any McGuinty, or a Liberal, any Liberal,” Chiarelli wrote in November 2010 in response to a Denley column.

In May 2001, Denley wrote: “It’s difficult to keep track of which Bob Chiarelli we’re seeing on any given day. Sometimes it’s Big Spending Bob, who wants to squeeze every imagineable dollar for more roads, buses and trains to maintain Ottawa’s anticipated feverish growth. Other times, it’s Tax Cut Bob, the mayor who’s out to impose fiscal discipline on City Hall.”

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/R.....z1McD3Qnqe
RCO

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 16, 2011 - 3:26 PM

Chopowick to run for Ontario Tories in Scarborough Southwest

Duguid to seek third term for Liberals in Scarborough Centre

Mike Chopowick, a former advisor to Ontario Progressive Conservative Leader Tim Hudak, is now that party's choice for Scarborough Southwest in October's provincial election.

He was nominated in the riding Saturday, May 14, over challengers Bruce Baker and Diane Hogan.

Chopwick was the provincial PC riding president and worked as policy manager for the Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario.

Previously, he was a policy advisor to Ontario PC Party and Toronto Board of Trade, as well as an executive assistant to a Scarborough-Agincourt councillor, Norm Kelly.

In a letter, the Birch Cliff resident said he's never run for office before but has experience in five provincial elections since the age of 17, adding, "I know what our riding association must do to win the election."

Liberal MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti took the riding from its PC incumbent, Dan Newman, in 2003 and was re-elected in 2007.

Scarborough Centre MPP Brad Duguid, was meanwhile nominated to run again Sunday, May 15, in an event the local Liberal association said drew 150 people.

A former city councillor for Scarborough Centre, Duguid has held the riding since 2003.

.http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/elections/article/1008401
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( tony genco seeking ontario pc nomination in Vaughan , sort of surprising but maybe not that shocking after his defection )

By Caroline Grech
|
May 11, 2011 - 6:12 PM

Former Grit seeks Tory nod
Vaughan riding association yet to respond

Tony Genco. Former federal Liberal candidate is seeking nomination from Vaughan provincial Progressive Conservative riding association. Fresh off Conservative MP Julian Fantino’s decisive victory in last week’s federal election, the local provincial Tories are starting the process to find a candidate to take on longtime Liberal MPP Greg Sorbara.
Vaughan resident and former federal Liberal candidate Tony Genco last week filed papers to seek the provincial nomination to challenge his former friend, yorkregion.com has learned.
“I’m exploring all kinds of avenues right now,” Mr. Genco said, adding a job offer related to the transportation industry came to him as recently as Tuesday.
He said he is considering that offer while juggling his consulting business.
Mr. Genco filed his nomination papers with the Tory riding association last week, but has yet to hear from party officials.
His decision to seek the nomination came about while he worked on Mr. Fantino’s campaign last month.
“I think it’s something worth considering very strongly. That’s why I did initiate the forms., but nothing is firm and final. One simply has to take it one step at a time,” Mr. Genco said.
He ran as the Liberal candidate against Mr. Fantino in the November federal byelection, losing by a narrow 964-vote margin Mr. Genco later shocked residents and Liberals alike by throwing his support to Mr. Fantino and the Harper Conservatives in March.
The former Liberal stalwart said he received encouragement from those around him during the federal campaign to seek the provincial nomination.
“Many believe I can make a contribution to political life,” he said.
Mr. Genco pointed to Mr. Fantino’s recent victory over former regional councillor Mario Ferri as evidence more Vaughan residents agreed with him then didn’t.
“I’ve got to assess all of these things that are before me. There’s a number of balls in the air here. All these balls need to be managed, juggled,” Mr. Genco said, adding it’s a time of soul-searching for him.
At the time he announced his change of heart, the former Liberal praised Mr. Fantino for his work as MP in the riding.
Mr. Genco said in a letter published at yorkregion.com the Liberal party he knew had disappeared.
“The Liberal Party is adrift ... continuing to be nostalgic about its historic contributions and past glories without having built from those successes of the past to renew its ideas to reflect the needs of the new modern Canada,” Mr. Genco wrote.
Across York Region, the provincial Conservatives already have candidates in place, with the exception of Vaughan and Oak-Ridges Markham.
Should Mr. Genco win the nomination, it would set up a race between two former friends who have already shared bitter words over Mr. Genco’s defection.
But Mr. Genco said he does not consider the longtime MPP his “former” friend.
“I consider Greg Sorbara a friend today. If he doesn’t consider me a friend, that’s up to him. We have disagreed fundamentally on something and I have chosen to express my disagreement in a democratic way,” Mr Genco said. “If he continues to want to insult me and to make scurrilous accusations about my integrity, then he will be accountable for that at the appropriate time.”
The democratic process is a battle of ideas, not personalities, Mr. Genco added.
“Greg will have to account for his government and I will have to account for what I believe in and the people will decide,” Mr. Genco said. “I don’t consider Greg Sorbara an enemy.”
The Ontario PC convention happens May 27 to 29 at the Toronto Congress Centre.
The provincial election is Oct. 6.
Local riding president Anthony Maniaci could not be reached for comment.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news.....s-tory-nod
RCO

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2011-05-06 at 15:03LeBlanc to run

By Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com
Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com
CEO of Ice Edge Holdings Inc. and now Thunder Bay - Superior North PC candidate, Anthony LeBlanc. Prestige Limousine

Anthony LeBlanc still wants to be part of the deal to buy the financially struggling Phoenix Coyotes, but the Thunder Bay entrepreneur has found something else to occupy his time in the interim – politics.

LeBlanc, the CEO of investment company Ice Edge Holdings Inc., on Thursday filed his nomination papers with the Thunder Bay-Superior North Progressive Conservative Riding Association, the first step to becoming a candidate for the upcoming provincial election.

LeBlanc is the first candidate to file his papers for the Conservatives, and is seeking to become the first non-Liberal to take the riding since it was created in 1999.

“I’m at a point now that I think now, provincially, people need an option when they’re going to the ballot box in October,” said LeBlanc, who is running for public office for the first time. “I think it’s important for everybody in the Thunder Bay-Superior North region that there is the potential for a strong candidate and a strong party in that region.”

A former vice-president with Research in Motion, the company that brought the world the Blackberry, LeBlanc says his business background is just what the region needs as it pulls itself out of a recession brought forward by the collapse of the forest industry.

“I think I bring a freshness, a new way of looking at things, and an experience level that I think is important for these types of decisions that need to be made,” LeBlanc said.

LeBlanc, born and raised in Thunder Bay before leaving to seek his fortune, said he has always maintained close ties to his hometown, regardless of where he was living at the moment.

He first came to prominence in the city in 2005, when he raised the possibility of bringing either an American Hockey League or Ontario Hockey League franchise to Thunder Bay.

Those discussions ramped up in recent years, as he and partner Keith McCullough, a fellow Lakehead resident, embarked on a quest to buy the Coyotes, first on their own and of late as a minority partner with investor Matthew Hulsizer.

Bringing jobs to Thunder Bay is his top priority, should he win the nomination, expected to be decided by month’s end.

“Thunder Bay needs better jobs. We need to focus on new industries, while at the same time maintaining these important industries in the forestry sector, for example,” he said Friday, before sitting down for a tete-a-tete with Thunder Bay-Atikokan Progressive Conservative candidate Fred Gilbert to familiarize himself with the process.

“High-tech is my background and this is an area I want to focus on. I think Thunder Bay could be a wonderful spot. And we’re seeing that in some of the new industries as they come forward in a medical field and the knowledged-based (economy), and of course with the law school,” he said.

He knows it won’t be easy electing a Conservative in Thunder Bay, a city that hasn’t gone Tory since 1985, when the late Mickey Hennessey took the Fort William ridings.

Liberal Michael Gravelle has owned the riding since 1995, and as the minister of northern development, mines and forestry, will be tough to unseat.

But it can be done, LeBlanc said.

“The reality is it is going to be a very tough election for any Conservative. If I’m the one who is lucky enough to be chosen as the candidate, it will be a very difficult election campaign, but a worthwhile one,” he said.

“I think we can look at the lessons from the federal election, seeing what happened with the New Democrats. You’ve had powerful ministers, right up to leaders like Gilles Duceppe and Michael Ignatieff losing their seats. Anybody can be beaten on election day.”

Should he win the nomination, LeBlanc would also face a to-be-determined NDP candidate, whose race at present include Jay Stapleton and Cindy Crowe.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/new.....anc-to-run
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( anohter incumbent mpp not running in fall election )

Longtime Ontario MPP calls it quits

By Antonella Artuso, Queen's Park Bureau Chief

Sandra Pupatello has been an MPP since 1995. (ANTONELLA ARTUSO/QMI Agency file photo)

TORONTO - There are some snazzy stilettos to fill at Queen's Park.

Economic Development and Trade Minister Sandra Pupatello's perennial appearance on the sexiest MPP list never detracted from her reputation as a serious politician who carried power easily on her stylish shoulders.

She went toe-to-pointy toe with the best of them, earning respect from her colleagues as a capable and tough politician and also as a first class heckler.

"Thank God most people at home never heard what I was saying because my mother would be mortified," Pupatello said Friday, after revealing she would not seek re-election this fall. "The cut and thrust of politics was a delight for me. I can say that I never expected to be that kind of person or have that persona."

The popular Windsor West MPP is the latest prominent provincial politician to pack it in prior to the October election, joining Liberal Monique Smith, Tory Bill Murdoch and NDPer Peter Kormos.

Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne said Pupatello was a mentor to her when she first considered running provincially.

"We'll miss Sandra as an individual obviously," Wynne said. "She's a larger-than-life presence and her guidance and political insight has been fantastic ... she's fully engaged in all aspects of political life."

First elected in 1995, she quickly became one of Mike Harris' fiercest critics.

Pupatello served as minister of community and social services and then education, before assuming the leadership of the economic development ministry.

She said she'd considered quitting in 2003, having never planned to be a lifer.

"At that time, I had just gotten married, I was pregnant," Pupatello said, who's wed to Jim Bennett, the former leader of the Liberal Party in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The MPP later went public with the sad news she had miscarried.

Pupatello pondered not running in 2007 but stayed because she had landed her dream portfolio -- economic development -- and out of respect for her party leader.

"I love the premier. I'd do anything for the guy. And he's been so good to me, good to my riding, that the toughest thing for me was not running for him again," she said.

Pupatello said she has nothing lined up because she thought it would be inappropriate to job hunt while still economic development minister.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Po.....66401.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  

Jump to: