Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: lib and ndp candidates running against Tony Clement quit Reply with quote

( its totally bizare both the liberal and ndp candidates for Parry Sound - Muskoka have quit in the same week but it did actually happen . maybe Tony's river rescue was the final straw that had them running for the exits . although the liberal is claiming health issues but he was actively campaigning during the G8 just a few weeks back so that one seems odd )

Jul 30, 2010 - 2:35 PM
|
0 .Pudsey steps down to focus on his health

Shawn Pudsey.
Federal Liberal candidate for Parry Sound-Muskoka, Shawn Pudsey, announced at press time that he will be stepping down due to health issues.

“It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to step down as the candidate for the federal Liberal Party in Parry Sound—Muskoka to spend more time with my family for health-related reasons,” reads a statement released by his office.

When contacted by this newspaper, Pudsey explained that he was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and the illness has resurfaced.

“A new lump has been discovered and we’re not quite sure what the implications of that are right now,” he said, adding that he’ll still be actively involved in the community and the riding association.
“I discussed the matter last evening at a meeting of the Parry Sound—Muskoka Federal Liberal Association. I want to thank all of our local riding association members and the community at large for their support over the past year. I will continue to be involved with our community, the riding association and the Liberal Party of Canada, especially as the association prepares to select a new candidate,” states the prepared release.

Tim Dunn, the President of the Parry Sound-Muskoka Federal Liberal Association, added, “I want to offer Shawn and his family our best wishes at this difficult time. He grew up in this community, and believes in a compassionate, progressive Liberal government in Ottawa. While we are sad to lose his strong voice, the Association is now shifting its efforts towards nominating our next candidate.”

http://www.cottagecountrynow.c.....cle/854869

Jul 30, 2010 - 2:31 PM
|
0 .NDP stalwart Dianna Allen steps back

Dianna Allen.
A lot can happen when you’re waiting for the writ to drop, says Dianna Allen, now the former federal candidate for the New Democratic Party for whenever the next election happens.

Allen, who accepted the nomination last October, says changes in her family’s circumstances have given her reason to step back from the candidacy and let someone else step up.

“We’re (she and her husband) at an age in life where I have to put my family first and manage the stresses that come at us,” said Allen.

She said she also felt some stress about not having a good idea of when the election could come with the minority government in Ottawa.

“It is a very long time to be hanging on thinking it could be next week,” said Allen.

But while she won’t be on the ballot for Parry Sound-Muskoka whenever the next federal contest happens, she will likely remain involved. Allen said she will keep at her post as president of the NDP riding association and still has a keen eye for politics.

“There’s so much grist for the mill right now,” said Allen. “I’m very interested to see how the census long-form debate ends up … I find (MP and Industry Minister Tony Clement’s) remarks on privacy to be totally disingenuous and their willingness to ignore experts in the field disturbing.”

In her role as association president, Allen said she will help recruit her own replacement and seemed confident that someone would be in place for whenever an election comes.

“I don’t think it will happen this fall and there’s a mild chance that there might be a spring election, but people higher up in the party think next fall. Really, who knows,” said Allen.

http://www.cottagecountrynow.c.....cle/854865
rstowe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually sorry guys. There is a new cat in town and I heard he's an awesome campaigner!
Watch for him in the next few weeks, miller better run and fast to catch this superstar
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( who were you talking about ? i did notice the ndp have a new candidate by the sounds of things but have not heard anything about a potential liberal ? and miller is the ridings provincial mpp and son of former pc premier . i can't imagine the provincial liberals even focusing any attention in that riding when considering the mess there in , they'll be throwing all they got just to hold onto nearby nipissing and barrie ridings )

Federal Nomination Meeting
Posted on January 3rd, 2011

The Parry Sound-Muskoka NDP Riding Association will hold a Nomination meeting on January 16, 2011 to select its candidate for the next federal election.

Wendy Wilson, a Parry Sound physician and assistant professor, Northern School of Medicine, Laurentian and Lakehead University, has received party approval to seek the nomination. Dr Wilson has practiced in Parry Sound since 1996. Other clinical appointments have included Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, Obstetrics and Outpost Medicine in Inuvik and Iqualuit. Dr Wilson has particular interests in women’s issues in health care, and addiction medicine.

The Nomination Meeting is open to the public; however, only members of the NDP in good standing and resident in the riding may vote. There will be photo and interview opportunities before and during the event. Doors open at 11:00 am for registration and brunch.

Saturday, January 16, 2011
Nomination Meeting for Federal Candidate
1:00 pm
1185 Doe Lake Road,
Gravenhurst ON

http://ndpparrysoundmuskoka.ca/
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: lib and ndp candidates running against Tony Clement quit Reply with quote

Quote:
. maybe Tony's river rescue was the final straw that had them running for the exits

Except it never happened.

Tony better sharpen his abilities or he will be toast. He has been coming across as thin skinned and resting on his laurels , while impressive may not be enough to hang in there come election time.

He does enjoy a sizeable lead due to the massive influx of cash for the G8 but will it be enough.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter;
The opposition has nearly no chance in the riding.

Lets put aside the fact that Clement secured nearly the same amount of support as the three other parties combine in 2008,

The one thing that Urban Canada simply seems to be unable to wrap its head around is that while the Long Gun Registry was a one week newscycle victory in Toronto, its an issue that has tripled Conservative fundraising efforts in Rural Canada.

Its also an issue that has polarized voters in Rural Ridings; drive around up North and toss on some talk radio. Its huge and will carry into any election.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:

Dont be so sure.

Tony won by 15 or so votes in the election prior.

He consistently appears very thin skinned to plenty of people and has almost zero personality.
If a candidate with speaking abilities and some form of charisma shows up, it"ll be tight for Tony.
Quote:

Its also an issue that has polarized voters in Rural Ridings; drive around up North and toss on some talk radio. Its huge and will carry into any election.

I hear it but I am not so sure the traction is there in Tony's riding. A good number of people are coming to the conclusion that the G8 money was a collosal waste of time and money....even as they gaze and admire all that was recieved.
Edmund Onward James

votes: 2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tony. He was a far better Health Minister in Ontario than some. He is diligent, very hard working Industry Minister in the federal government, regardless what some think.

When asked if he was apologizing about the hotly contested Inco deal, (now called Vale Canada) and union gripe, Clement replied: "I think, you know, apologies are for tragedies.

That makes sense. But it took balls.

He has such big business issues to confront such as Potash, Stock Exchange, my mother's (Broom Hilda Resorts) expansion. I told Broom Hilda that she could twitter him... but her problem is provincial and local township issue. But she insists right to the top. Even if it means the Queen.

I could go on and on... but you know what mother's are like. She's conservative and accepts Clement as she would a wayward son.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toronto Centre wrote:
cosmostein wrote:

Dont be so sure.

Tony won by 15 or so votes in the election prior.

He consistently appears very thin skinned to plenty of people and has almost zero personality.
If a candidate with speaking abilities and some form of charisma shows up, it"ll be tight for Tony.
Quote:

I hear it but I am not so sure the traction is there in Tony's riding. A good number of people are coming to the conclusion that the G8 money was a collosal waste of time and money....even as they gaze and admire all that was recieved.

We have to be careful to back out circumstance from reality.

Clement won by 15 votes in a riding held by a very personally popular Andy Mitchell who was a cabinet minister and 13 year incumbent MP all with the handicap of being labeled a "Parachute Candidate" and a "Cottage Tourist".

You should still be able find some of the attack language used during 2006 online, I believe he may have still been a Brampton resident at the time using his cottage address for the purpose of the election, so perhaps it was apt?

He now has his permanent residence in Port Sydney and has since 2006.

I also find the comment about a "Candidate with speaking ability" odd.
Jamie McGarvey is hardly a drone, and an excellent speaker.
He is one heck of a politician, which is why I suspect he was given a job within the office of the official opposition before he returned to local politics.

He was elected Mayor in Perry Sound by a fairly large margin; and was touted at the time as the "home grown" candidate and about as big of a star as the Liberals were going to get in that riding at the time.

Its interesting that after he was defeated by 11,000 votes, he is brushed off as though he wasn't a billed as a strong candidate in the first place in a riding the Liberals were actively and publicly looking to win back in 2008. Sort of a re-writing of history.

Your going to invoke G20 spending as a factor in Huntsville?
Yikes.
Sorry, but that dog doesn't hunt.

Yeah they generally felt it was a pain in the ass at the time and sure we all felt it was a lot of money, but the infrastructure spending in Huntsville and the roadways leading to it was certainly welcome as part of the G8 package.

While it may have been an issue in June (As it was everywhere), I haven't heard a peep since the LGR was defeated in September aside from a few folks invoking it as a means to defer away from the Liberal whipped vote on Bill C391.

Even if we back out the sheer amount of hunters and anglers in that riding; and the fact that the LGR has been a pretty big topic in most papers and talk radio over the last few months (certainly far more then the G20)

The reality is that 800m to 1b on the G20 Vs. the 2 billion dollar cost overrun of the LGR coupled with the 70m (opposition estimate) to 108m (government estimate) yearly shortfall of the program is going to make it a tough fiscal argument to make.

You are only about three hours from the riding on the 400, give it a look.
The biggest issue trending now (well as of Wednesday of last week anyway) is the extended amnesty on the LGR currently set to expire on May 16, 2011, that is a simply massive topic in most Northern Ontario ridings.
Toronto Centre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have to be careful to back out circumstance from reality.

He now has his permanent residence in Port Sydney and has since 2006.

Yes he does. The parachute thing was a bit of a misnomer anyway since his in laws have lived there for eons.
Quote:

I also find the comment about a "Candidate with speaking ability" odd.
Jamie McGarvey is hardly a drone, and an excellent speaker.
He is one heck of a politician, which is why I suspect he was given a job within the office of the official opposition before he returned to local politics.

Agreed,my take though is that was then this is now. The people wanted to rid Ottawa of the Liberals , so the candidate had to fight that first, Tony second.

Quote:

Its interesting that after he was defeated by 11,000 votes, he is brushed off as though he wasn't a billed as a strong candidate in the first place in a riding the Liberals were actively and publicly looking to win back in 2008. Sort of a re-writing of history.

I found that funny at the time. Not strong? He had the chops but change was coming, and he got washed away.
Quote:

Your going to invoke G20 spending as a factor in Huntsville?
Yikes.
Sorry, but that dog doesn't hunt.

You may be right, but there is the talk on the street, and plenty of it is what a waste it was, and then there is "fine we got but how to we pay to keep it". The spending was not what anyone asked for, it was what anyone could get if they applied, save for anything inside and not visible to the visiting dignitaries.
The incredible costs for so many things that never were seen by visiting PM's and Pres's, so many projects that were so far away (Parry Sound and North Bay) and the resultant fiasco in TO suggest to me something is in the water.

Quote:

You are only about three hours from the riding on the 400, give it a look.
The biggest issue trending now (well as of Wednesday of last week anyway) is the extended amnesty on the LGR currently set to expire on May 16, 2011, that is a simply massive topic in most Northern Ontario ridings.

I'm a lot closer than that. I live there. Half the year I spend there.

The local paper is not full of news concerning the LGR, although there were a few weeks last fall.

I agree with your last statement, but Tony's riding is not in Northern Ontario.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The this is then, and now is now argument may very well hold some relevance if the polling numbers show the Liberals and the Conservatives around the same numbers in Ontario they had during the 2006 election when this riding was close.

The Tories had a 5% lead over the LPC in 2008 and Clement won the riding by a fairly massive margin, now if you look at a moving average of the February polls the Conservatives have a 8ish lead, and the Liberals had a 5% lead in Ontario when this seat was lost in 2006.

The Liberals have around a 10-12% support deficit from the last time this riding was close, yet still lost.

I also don't believe that Cindy Waters is a stronger Liberal candidate then Jamie McGarvey was. Most of the G8/G20 spending discussions are being raised by her, but I would argue that is the best tact because I certainly wouldn't be raising the LGR, I would be doing anything to deflect that topic.

As for the LGR not being discussed;
I learnt about the May 2011 amnesty to the LGR from an article in the Huntsville Forester a few weeks ago, so its possible you and I are just reading and listening to different news outlets.

The riding is considered "Northern Ontario" for the purposes of the breakdowns on CBC & Wiki, but that is neither here nor there.

There is a substantial hunter/angler population within the riding, which is the reason why I included in my LRG effected ridings list.

If we consider the riding part of the Northern Ontario (10 total seats) for the purpose of this calculation, The Liberals had 7/10 seats on election day in 2006.

They now have 1/10.
1 lost to the Tories, 5 lost to the NDP.

I just don't think they are taking those ridings seriously, they appear to be battening down the hatches in the GTA. If Cindy Waters is what the Liberals are tossing against a Cabinet Minister who won his riding by over 10,000 votes then I would imagine they agree with me.

Jump to: