Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paula Peroni named as Nickel Belt's Ontario PC candidate
Paula Peroni will represent the Ontario Progressive Conservative party in the Nickel Belt riding in the upcoming provincial election. File photo.

Jan 26, 2011By: Sudbury Northern Life Staff
Paula Peroni, president of the Canadian Catholic School Trustees' Association and past president of the Ontario Catholic School Trustees' Association, will represent the Ontario Progressive Conservative party in the upcoming provincial election.

The election is scheduled for Oct. 6.

Perioni and her family are life-long residents of Nickel Belt, according to a press release issued by the provincial PC party. She was first elected as a Catholic school trustee for the Sudbury Catholic Board in 1997.

“Northern families are paying more and getting less,” Peroni said. “They deserve a government that shares their priorities, will provide them with relief and end the McGuinty waste.”

Tim Hudak, Ontario PC leader, welcomed Peroni as the candidate following the Jan. 20 nomination meeting.

“While the McGuinty Liberals have grown increasingly out of touch, the hard-working families in Nickel Belt can count on Paula to fight for their priorities and protect their pocketbooks,” Hudak stated.

http://www.northernlife.ca/new.....60111.aspx
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan 31, 2011 - 4:29 PM
|
0 .Barr to run for MPP seat

Cambridge’s Margaret Barr is hoping to finally make the jump into politics, this time at the provincial level.

Barr, a former newspaper columnist, Ontario parole board member and unsuccessful candidate for the mayor’s seat, has been given the formal nod by the local provincial Conservative nomination committee to run for MPP under the Conservative banner.

Long-time Conservative MPP Gerry Martiniuk recently announced his decision to retire.

Barr described herself as being an active member of the community known for her Cambridge Times news column, which ran for more than nine years locally.

She is a current principal owner of MB Communications.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/n.....r-mpp-seat
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy enters PC nomination race
By CHERYL BRINK CBRINK@STANDARD-FREEHOLDER.COM
Updated 3 hours ago

CORNWALL – A second candidate has officially entered the race for the Progressive Conservative nomination.

Winchester resident David Guy announced his intentions on Tuesday.

"I've had a love for this all of my life," he said. "I've been involved in politics since I was a kid."

The present fundraising chair for the provincial riding association, Guy has been active in the party for three decades, starting with his role as a page at Queen's Park.

"It was this experience that captured my interest for politics and shaped my views early," he said.

Though this is Guy's first run at elected office, he said his past experience in the political realm will be a huge benefit during the nomination process.

He is currently the director of research and commercialization for a agri-business in the region and said he will ensure support for business is a top priority.

"Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry is blessed with incredible people, possessing great ideas," he said.

Guy joins South Glengarry Mayor Jim McDonell in the race; South Stormont Mayor Bryan McGillis is expected to make a decision on whether or not to throw his hat into the ring later this week.

A nomination isn't expected until spring.

Guy said he thinks there is an appetite for change in the riding of Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry as well as across the province.

"I believe that our riding of SD&SG deserves better than what we have," he said. "It's time to take the concerns of our riding to Queen's Park, not for Queen's Park to be bringing their decrees down to us."

http://www.standard-freeholder.....?e=2957603
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Scott wins in Oakville, and former O'Brien chief of staff Brent Colbert is going for Ottawa West-Nepean.
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sulman seeks PC nod
By Ellwood Shreve
Posted 16 hours ago

Longtime municipal politician Doug Sulman is putting his name forward as a nominee to be the Progressive Conservative candidate for Chatham-Kent Essex in the October provincial election.

"I'm certainly interested in the nomination and I am offering myself as a candidate," Sulman told The Chatham Daily News Friday.

He was still waiting Friday afternoon to get word from the Ontario PC office in Toronto for approval to stand as a nominee.

Sulman said running provincially "was not on my radar last fall" when he was re-elected to a fifth term on Chatham-Kent council.

However, he feels compelled to run after seeing what's happened to energy costs under a Liberal government, as well as the bungling of health consultants, cronyism and the fact Ontario has a larger deficit than California with smaller economy.

He is also disturbed Ontario is now a have-not province, which receives transfer payments from the federal government, after long being a prosperous province.

Sulman said he doesn't have a "burning, personal ambition" to become a MPP, noting he is happy serving on municipal council.

"But, I think we need a really strong and experienced voice at Queen's Park," he said.

Sulman doesn't like the fact the Liberal government made a unilateral $7 billion wind energy deal with Samsung that didn't result in any manufacturing facility coming to Chatham.

"But the worst of it all is the province passed the Green Energy Act and they took control of the location and numbers of windmills and that is more properly the responsibility of municipalities under the planning provisions," he said.

He added he would address changing the Green Energy Act.

If elected, Sulman, who is in his 29th year of elected office, will leave a seat vacant in Ward 6 Chatham.

He was first elected as an alderman in 1982 on the former City of Chatham council, where he served until 1991. He served a three-year-term from as a public school board trustee from 1991-94, before being elected to another term on Chatham council from 1994-97. He was elected to the first Chatham-Kent council in 1997 and has been re-elected every term since.

Sulman said there isn't much of a leap from municipal politics to serving at Queen's Park.

"I think anyone who seeks this job should have some government and political experience," he said.

If Sulman wins the PC nomination, he will face former municipal councillor, Paul Watson, who is the Liberal candidate in Chatham-Kent Essex. Incumbent Liberal MPP Pat Hoy is retiring.

The provincial election is Oct. 6.

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca.....?e=2963685
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record staff Thu Feb 3 201111 3 Recommend

CTV’s MacDonald seeking PC nomination

KITCHENER — Television weather anchor Dave MacDonald is hoping to jump into the stormy world of provincial politics.

MacDonald is seeking the PC nomination for the riding of Kitchener Centre for this fall’s provincial election. The riding is currently held by Liberal cabinet minister John Milloy.

“I’m pretty excited about the possibility,” said MacDonald, 66, who has worked at CTV Southwestern Ontario (formerly CKCO) since 1969. He is also the general manager at radio station Faith FM.

“It won’t be a walk in the park by any means” for whoever challenges Milloy, MacDonald acknowledged. “But the general feeling is that this may be a good time to be a Conservative … I think the feeling is the province really wants change.”

This is the first time MacDonald has thrown his hat into the political ring. He said he was asked to run federally some years ago, but felt the timing wasn’t right.

A date for the nomination meeting hasn’t been set.

http://www.therecord.com/news/.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stewart|
Feb 03, 2011 - 10:32 AM
|
.Trustee eyes MPP seat

Hopeful. Don Stephens, a Ward 2 trustee for 10 years with the Peel District School Board, hopes to become an MPP this fall. File photo Don Stephens, a Ward 2 trustee for 10 years with the Peel District School Board, has joined the race to become the Progressive Conservative candidate in the provincial election to be held Oct. 6.
Stephens is the third announced candidate vying for the nomination in a riding the party held for decades before Tim Peterson won the seat for the first time for the Liberals in 2003.
"It has been shocking to view first hand from an inside perspective as an elected official the waste, the inequity, lack of strategic long-range planning and the manipulative control from the Liberal provincial government," Stephens said in a press release. "This is especially shocking coming from a government headed by a leader that has labelled himself as the 'Education Premier.'"
A 15-year homeowner in Mississauga who lives in the riding, Stephens has volunteered with Clarkson Community at Peace, the Art Gallery of Mississauga, the Mississauga Garden Council and Success by 6.
The candidate said the Dalton McGuinty Liberal government has, "squandered
opportunities, and built long-term structural deficits that head us only for disaster."
Also seeking the nomination are Port Credit resident and Mississauga native Geoff Janoscik, a lawyer, and Darryl Konynenbelt, an Oakville resident who is a news reporter with Global Toronto's Newshour.

http://www.mississauga.com/new.....s-mpp-seat
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( large nomination meeting shaping up in open cambridge seat )

Feb 07, 2011 - 5:36 PM
|
0 .Johnson enters race

Andrew Johnson has entered the race to become the next MPP for Cambridge & North Dumfries.

Johnson has been confirmed as a candidate for the Ontario PC Party in the upcoming nomination meeting to be held later this spring locally.

If he is successful, Johnson would run as the Ontario PC candidate in October’s provincial election.

Johnson, 46, is a former school trustee, city councilor (Elora) and chair of several municipal committees over the last 20 years.

http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/n.....nters-race
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also ran for Mayor of Cambridge in the last election. Three of conservatives running for Mayor. Cambridge was lucky, IMO.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicholls hopes to be PC candidate
By Daily News Staff
Posted 5 days ago

Local training consultant Rick Nicholls is vying to become the Progressive Conservative candidate for Chatham-Kent Essex in the October provincial election.

"I've had a burning desire for this for many years," he said Tuesday.

He said it's finally time for him to throw his hat into the ring.

"I'm very concerned about the current economic state of affairs locally," Nicholls said.

"I'm not seeing a lot of economic growth."

He said energy costs and wind and solar power are also issues he plans to focus on if nominated

http://www.chathamdailynews.ca.....?e=2979287
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news just out that burlington mpp Joyce Savoline won't seek re-election , no word on who might possibly replace her as mpp )

Mon Feb. 21 2011 12:37:55 PM | The Associated Press

Tory MPP Joyce Savoline won't see re-election

Progressive Conservative MPP Joyce Savoline
TORONTO — Another member of the Ontario legislature has announced she won't seek re-election this October.

Burlington Progressive Conservative Joyce Savoline has issued a statement saying she has made what she calls a "very difficult decision" not to run again.

Savoline, the Tories' Municipal Affairs and Housing critic, first entered politics in 1982 as a local and regional councillor before serving 12 years as Halton's Regional Chairwoman.

She was first elected to the Ontario legislature in a February, 2007 byelection and won re-election later that fall.

Veteran Conservatives Bill Murdoch and Gerry Martiniuk have also announced they won't seek re-election Oct. 6, while at least nine Liberals have also said they too won't be on the ballot.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an.....b=CP24Home
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( new candidate in kingston )

Provincial Tories nominate former Chamber president
By The Whig-Standard
Posted 9 hours ago

Peter Hendra

The Whig-Standard

It was quite by chance that Rodger James came to seek the provincial Tory nomination Saturday.

But it wasn't like the thought of seeking public office had never crossed his mind.

James was serving a term as president of the Chamber of Commerce last year when a Progressive Conservative recruiter called to pick his brain. Could he suggest someone, the caller wondered, who would be interested in running in the next election?

James phoned back and, after hearing the official pitch, readily answered that, yes, he did know someone.

Himself.

"There was a pause at the end," James recalled.

"He said, 'You answered that pretty quickly' and I said, 'I've been waiting for this phone call for 15 years.'

"He said, 'Wow,' and away we went."

James, 64, Saturday won the right to challenge incumbent MPP John Gerretsen in the fall election, defeating Mark Bain in a vote at Kingston Gospel Temple.

James said his experience last year with the Chamber of Commerce helped whet his appetite for public office. As president and, before that, first vice-president of the chamber, James served on a number of committees at the national and provincial levels.

Through that, he had a chance to meet and talk with politicians, and saw the impact those committees' decisions can have.

"I've been to at least 10 different committees for various reasons, federally and provincially, and you kind of say, 'Wow, this is the kind of stuff that comes right from the people,' " he said.

"I wasn't aware of that connection before," James said. "I think I knew about it, but I certainly never experienced it."

James was also encouraged by the words of Conservative MP Jim Prentice, who stepped down as environment minister for a private-sector job last November.

"He said that people in private life with life experiences should come forward and be involved with politics, for a short period of time, and then go back to private life," James said.

"That really influenced me because I thought, 'You know, my chamber experience, the exposure to the committees and the questions of sitting ministers, I think I can make a contribution to Kingston and the Islands.' "

He believes that his business-centred approach and the varied work experiences he has had would be a welcome change at Queen's Park.

"You can have a job and be employed for 30 years, but if you're doing the same thing year after year, you've really only got one year of experience," James said.

"I think you lose your efficiency in situations like that and, again, I think that's what's happened here."

James has lived in the Kingston area for the past 25 years, and has been operating Rodger James Financial Services since 2003.

Prior to getting into the financial business, he worked as an independent salesman, selling electronics and furniture wholesale in this area and in the northeastern United States.

While this will be the first election he has contested, his past experience as a salesman has prepared him for the task ahead: trying to win in what has been a Liberal stronghold for years.

"Even when I got into the financial services business, I went and knocked on doors and asked people to trust me and do business with me," he said, "and I have some of those clients to this day (so) no, I'm not afraid to ask for the sale."

http://www.thewhig.com/Article.....?e=2987868
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tories approach Skelly to run against McMeekin

DONNA SKELLY Television personality Donna Skelly has been approached by the Progressive Conservatives to run against Liberal MPP Ted McMeekin in the Oct. 6 provincial election and says she is seriously considering the offer.

Election countdown
.Television personality Donna Skelly has been approached by the Progressive Conservatives to run against Liberal MPP Ted McMeekin in the Oct. 6 provincial election and says she is seriously considering the offer.

If she goes for it, she would face a nomination battle with Colonel Chris Corrigan, a retired army officer who ran against McMeekin in the 2007 election. The nomination meeting has been set for April 6 at the Copetown Community Centre.

Ken Zeise, president of the Ontario PC party, says the party intends to have all its candidates nominated by the end of April.

“That’s our goal,” said the Stoney Creek resident. “We’ve got about 60 nominations to complete between now and April. We’re working hard across the province to get these things finalized.”

Skelly, who has co-hosted CHCH Live@5:30 with Mark Hebscher since 2002, said she was approached about six weeks ago to be a candidate in Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, but she wouldn’t say by whom.

“I honestly haven’t decided one way or the other,” she said. “I’m discussing my options with a number of people. I love politics. I really, really do, and I’m flattered they would consider me, to be quite honest.”

The people she said she will consult include former politicians such as former Hamilton-Wentworth chair Terry Cooke,“who absolutely loves the political arena.”

“At this point, it’s just making sure that this is something that would be good for a lot of people,” the Ancaster resident said. “For me and for the community.”

Asked if she believed she could beat McMeekin, Skelly joked, “He and I should go for a run and we can figure that one out. Maybe.”

McMeekin has held the riding since 2000 and served in Dalton McGuinty’s cabinet for two years until 2010.

Corrigan, who lives in Carlisle, submitted his candidate application to the party last year. He welcomed any challengers and said he is busy working on getting supporters out to help him secure the nomination.

“It’s a great rehearsal for the actual campaign,” he said. “I have faith that the right person, the person that is most experienced, that has had a rich experience in life will be chosen. That’s the democratic process.”

Zeise said the party has about 45 nominated candidates. He noted leader Tim Hudak is not one of them and still has to have his nomination meeting for Niagara West-Glanbrook. In Haldimand-Norfolk, MPP Toby Barrett was nominated last year.

http://www.thespec.com/news/lo.....t-mcmeekin
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of a possible comeback by Cam Jackson in Burlington )

Jackson has his eye on Savoline's seat

ELECTION NIGHT Burlington Mayor Cam Jackson looks visibly upset as he thanks his supporters at his campaign office after loosing his mayoral seat to Rick Goldring.
Cathie Coward/The Hamilton Spectator

MPP Savoline will not seek re-election
Election countdown
.Cam Jackson is keeping his comeback options open now that Conservative MPP Joyce Savoline has decided not to run again in the October provincial election.

“It's on my radar screen,” Jackson said in an interview Tuesday.

“I'm going to be setting up a meeting (with Savoline) next week just to talk about her experience and how things have changed at Queen's Park,” he said.

“Beyond that, I've made no decision.”

After weeks of rumours, Savoline finally confirmed over the weekend that she won't be seeking re-election in Burlington.

After almost 30 years in the saddle, she says she wants to wind down her political career.

That naturally swings the spotlight to Jackson, who represented the riding as a Conservative MPP for 21 years before resigning and successfully running for mayor in 2006.

Savoline captured the seat in a by-election a year later.

After one term in office, Jackson, 59, was trounced by Rick Goldring in the October mayoral election.

But he readily admits he's not ready to be put out to pasture.

Since his defeat he's been busy with family matters, community volunteering and “looking for the next job in my career.”

Could that next job be a return to his old one?

One thing is certain.

People are rarely neutral about Jackson. As much as he's a figure of fun in some quarters for his slippery loquaciousness, others recognize he's an extremely astute politician with influential community connections and formidable organizational skills.

Bear in mind that Jackson held the riding for about half the 43 years it's been in Tory hands.

As a cabinet minister in the former Conservative government, he was responsible for workers' compensation, senior and long-term care, and tourism.

He's also no stranger to controversy. In 2002, former premier Ernie Eves forced Jackson to resign as tourism minister for allegedly breaching expense guidelines.

For what it's worth, Jackson says he's already received lots of encouraging calls to run again.

But he's not the only person weighing options.

Lawyer Brian Heagle, a former Burlington citizen of the year and unsuccessful council candidate, is seriously considering throwing his hat in the ring.

Heagle, who flirted with running for the provincial Liberals in 2007, says he has always voted Conservative and is more comfortable with the Tory brand and values.

“I'm talking with supporters right now,” said Heagle. “I think my decision needs to be timely so it will be very soon.”

Brad Reaume, a former journalist and senior adviser to Conservative Halton MPP Ted Chudleigh, is also considering taking the plunge.

“I'm definitely interested,” says Reaume, who contested Savoline's by-election nomination in 2007.

Rene Papin, an employee benefits consultant with Dan Lawrie Insurance and a former president of the Burlington PC riding association, says he intends to seek the nomination regardless of who else may be in the race.

“I prefer to have a contested nomination … it's part of the democratic process,” says Papin.

And the party obviously has ideas of its own.

It recently asked Mohawk College president Rob MacIsaac to run, but the former Burlington mayor declined.

There's no question that the margins of victory in Burlington have been shrinking for the Conservatives since 2003.

While the October election should tell whether that's a gathering trend or a passing blip, until then it still has to be considered a safe Tory seat.

That no doubt explains the rapidly rising interest in replacing Savoline.

But the other mainstream parties aren't exactly dozing.

Lawyers Alissa Brierley and Karmel Sakran are contesting the nomination for the Burlington provincial Liberals.

That vote is expected to be held in April.

And Rick Chislett, president of the Burlington NDP association, says the riding expects to finalize a date for a nomination meeting by next week, by which time they too will likely have a candidate on tap.

“We expect somebody to file shortly but I can't divulge that until they actually do.”

http://www.thespec.com/opinion.....ine-s-seat
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( new thunder bay candidate )

Gilbert named as Progressive Conservative candidate

By Jeff Labine, tbnewswatch.com

Fred Gilbert says he`ll end the Liberals seven years of neglect as the Progressive Conservative’s candidate for Thunder Bay - Atikokan in the upcoming provincial election.

Gilbert, the former president of Lakehead University, announced in February that he’d take a stab at politics by running for the provincial Progressive Conservative party in the fall election. Gilbert officially became the candidate for the Thunder Bay - Atikokan riding at a coronation ceremony held at the Da Vinci Centre on Saturday.

But before the PC’s can claim victory, Gilbert will have to usurp Bill Mauro who has held the seat for nearly eight years. Gilbert said it would be a tough road ahead but he wouldn’t have accepted the nomination if it was a fight he couldn’t win.

"It’s a new experience," Gilbert said. "I think there are a number of issues that justify a serious look a different representation in this riding. What has happen in the last seven years I call neglect. There has not been an emphasis on what needs to be done in the north."

With 40,000 jobs lost in the forestry sector and 60 mills shut down, Gilbert said it was time for the north to transform its economy by going into bio-refining. Wastes produced by pulp and paper mills include valuable chemicals for potential buyers and a possible boost to the economy, he said.

The automotive sector received plenty of subsidies and loans during the recession but the forestry sector didn’t receive the same level of help, he said. Any money that was put into the forestry sector was meant to maintain operations that weren’t sustainable, he said.

"I think people have gone through a very trying time here in the north," he said. "I think (the people) are receptive to change…more receptive to change than in any other time in the past 30 years. That’s why I think we have an opportunity."

Gilbert added he planned to focus on the economy, Aboriginal issues regarding development, the increase in the cost of living and looking to provide more job opportunities.

Tony Stehmann, husband to Maureen Comuzzi-Stehmann the nominee for the federal Conservatives in the Thunder Bay – Rainy River riding, said Gilbert’s background in the academic field will be a major assets.

"He’s intellectually sound for one and he has the backing from most of the conservatives in his riding," Stehmann said. "There is no question of this integrity and what he has done for the City of Thunder Bay."

Paul Hunt, a member of the PC party for 20 years, said Gilbert’s fight to implement a law school in the north as well as establish the Northern Ontario School of Medicine highlighted his ability to make changes.

"He’s got the answer to the question if you got one," Hunt said. "He won’t walk away from (a question). No stick handling, he just gives straight answers."

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/new.....-candidate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: