Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progressive Tory

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Harper and never did, the only reason he's been as moderate as he has been is because of the minority government. I'd also like someone with some personality.

Within the government currently my favorite Conservative MP who I'd like to see as leader is James Moore, I also like John Baird and even Tony Clement, Christian Paradis and Peter MacKay. I'm not into the whole social conservative thing and that is something I could not vote for.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
The lastest Ipsos Reid poll showed the Conservatives at only 34% nationally and the Liberals led in Ontario 40% to 36%. I believe the Liberals only won 33% in 2008.

It's know sense predicting now though because we're not in a campaign and that's when it will all begin.

Personally I hope the Conservatives win another minority and that Harper, Ignatieff and Layton all resign!

Ah yes;
The Ipsos poll; Missed that one. The MoE in Ontario was about 5%, however that is moot.

We can all pick our poll; AR, Pollara, Abacus were all done within the IR polling period and have a pretty different yet consistent result.

But as you said; we can wait till the campaign.

Changing leaders always seems appealing; I voted for Tony Clement during the leadership election in 2003 and was never a fan of Harper,

However as I watch the Liberals make rapid fire leadership changes and become a party that was sitting in the high 30's low 40's during most of 2004 to a party three leaders later struggling to get over 20's over all of 2010 I question if a new leader subjected to the standard branding that a new leader receives is a good idea.

Harper for his faults has brought the party forward the only place it matters; being the ballot box.

As a young man who has done a serviceable job, I see no rush to see him resign.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
I don't like Harper and never did, the only reason he's been as moderate as he has been is because of the minority government. I'd also like someone with some personality.

Within the government currently my favorite Conservative MP who I'd like to see as leader is James Moore, I also like John Baird and even Tony Clement, Christian Paradis and Peter MacKay. I'm not into the whole social conservative thing and that is something I could not vote for.

Of course;
He may have the biggest party; but the left is the majority in the commons.
I suspect if Harper had a majority we would see some of the changes hopefully by way of spending cuts and Senate Reform, two major topics he could not tackle within the context of a Minority.

As for Social Conservative;
I find the government spends so little time legislating "social" policy its not even a factor in my voting process anymore. Same Sex Marriage, Abortion, and a lack of Capital Punishment are here to stay, and I just don't see any social commentary coming from the government even by way of rhetoric that would offend my Progressive Conservative Heart.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper has not done as well as the CA and PC did separately though.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
Harper has not done as well as the CA and PC did separately though.

In what context are you referring?

He secured more seats then they did alone after the 2004 election,
and he surpassed the combine popular vote in 1993 & 2000 in 2006 with 36.27% & 2008 with 37.65% respectively which ain't too far off the 38.09 they Reform/PC secured in 1997.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PCs and Reform and the PCs and the CA did better in 1997 and 2000 then the CPC did in 2004, 2006 and 2008. Though it was very minor in the last 2 elections.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
The PCs and Reform and the PCs and the CA did better in 1997 and 2000 then the CPC did in 2004, 2006 and 2008. Though it was very minor in the last 2 elections.

Yep, 0.02% & 0.54% respectively. I caught my addition mistake in 2000 when I re-did it.

However, The CPC did secure 5.2 million votes in 2008 (and 5.3 in 2006) compared to the combine vote totals of the CA/REF/PC of 4.8 million in 2000, 4.96 million in 1997, 4.7 million in 1993.

I guess it becomes a matter as to how you gauge growth.

Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: