Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Bernard Lord touted as Tory hopeful in Moncton Reply with quote

( still no official announment on his intentions but either way interesting to speculate on what might happen in Moncton )

Lord touted as Tory hopeful
Published Thursday January 6th, 2011
Politics: Former premier rumoured to be mulling bid for Moncton seat
A1greg weston
telegraph-journal

FREDERICTON - Bernard Lord's name is never far away from New Brunswick political circles and with a federal election on the horizon, it has surfaced once again.

Enlarge Photo Photo: Telegraph-Journal ArchiveFormer premier Bernard Lord is being touted as a likely candidate for the Tories in the Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe riding in the next federal election. The former premier is always on the list of potential candidates to fill any Conservative Party of Canada vacancy in the province.

Phil Seely, the president of the Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe Conservative riding association, says he isn't privy to Lord's ambitions.

"I don't have anything from him at this time. I'd put it to you this way: I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to run, because I don't think he's ruled politics out," he says.

But with no indication from any federal party that an election is imminent, Seely says it would be premature to announce potential candidates.

"It's all going to be a matter of timing for him. If he decides to make the jump back into politics, it's going to have to be on a timetable that's favourable for him," he says.

"Right now, we don't even have a candidate search committee formed, because we have no indication of a pending election.

"There's been no declared intent by any candidate at this point in time."

Now 45, Lord exploded onto New Brunswick's political stage in the late 1990s, winning the Tory leadership and then becoming the youngest premier in Canadian history. His victory in the 1999 "Blue Wave" surprised many political pundits and he won again in 2003.

Despite losing their majority in the legislature in the 2006 election, Lord and his Tories did win the popular vote.

Lord stepped down from the provincial party that year, but has never entirely closed the door on returning.

"I'm not saying that I'll never run again," Lord said at the time. "I'm not planning to run for anything at this time or anytime soon."

Since October 2008, he has served as president and CEO of the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association, an industry group that represents cellular telephone carriers and producers.

Lord isn't talking publicly about his future; a spokesman for the association said the former premier was unavailable for comment.

"As with the other inquiries he's had, he thanks you for the offer, but this is all speculation. If he ever decides to return to public life, he would be happy to talk to you about it then," said Marc Choma.

Tory strategist Tim Powers says Lord is a very attractive candidate for the party.

"Politics being what it is, the rumours are rampant," says Powers, vice-president of the Ottawa-based government relations firm Summa Strategies Canada.

He says much of the excitement is being stoked by fans who would like to see Lord enter federal politics.

"I think he's well regarded by many people in the Conservative Party. By the broader electorate, he's viewed as a capable politician."

Don Desserud, a political scientist at the University of New Brunswick Saint John, said any talk about Lord on the federal stage is sure to draw attention.

"I'm interested, intrigued and not entirely surprised," he says.

"He's very good at what he does. He really knows how to get a crowd going and the bi-cultural, bilingual ease that he presents would certainly be attractive."

While he has found a niche in the private sector, there's no doubt that the political animal inside of Lord is raring to get back into public life, Desserud says.

"I don't believe people like Bernard Lord ever lose their drive and their enthusiasm for the political contest," he says.

"If you're a politician, you never lose the desire to get back in the campaign."

The sense that Lord is contemplating a return to public life has been picking up steam since a nationally-syndicated column suggested last month that he's gearing up for a run at the Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe riding, currently held by Liberal MP Brian Murphy.

Murphy says the only name he knows will be on the ballot in the next election is his own. Nonetheless, he compares the excitement around Lord's name to that which surrounded another former premier.

"Frank McKenna was always going to run and that went on for a decade," he says.

"He's pretty comfortably placed with TD Bank. Bernard Lord seems pretty comfortably placed at (the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association)."

Lord has been mentioned many times as a possible national Tory leadership contender.

Through the years, other politicians have encouraged him to make the run.

In 2003, then Alberta premier Ralph Klein was among those lending support to the so-called "Draft Lord campaign" to have the New Brunswick premier run for the leadership of the newly formed Conservative Party.

"Bernard's a good man - bright, young ... perfectly bilingual," Klein said. "I would support Bernard."

When Lord stepped down in 2006, many saw promise in his future political options.

New Brunswick Southwest MP Greg Thompson was among them.

"A lot of great politicians have taken leave and gone back in and certainly at that young age it is certainly possible for Bernard," Thompson said at the time.

"The door will be wide open for him on a number of fronts and we will just have to wait and see."

http://telegraphjournal.canada.....le/1368122
thurmas

votes: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard will probably be the successor to Harper. He can win us more francophone support and more seats in atlantic canada.
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thurmas wrote:
Bernard will probably be the successor to Harper. He can win us more francophone support and more seats in atlantic canada.

Hmmm.....I can certainly envision a leadership race in the future between Bernard Lord and Jason Kenney.
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all this talk about Quebec Lieutenants and Ontario Lieutenants the CPC should have more heavily hitters out East.

Bernard Lord is exactly what you need.
He can campaign out East and he can campaign in rural Quebec.

While the brass focuses on Ontario you have a guy working on another region.
Its brilliant.
mr12387

votes: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot think of a single politician in this country who has the ability to connect with as many voters as Bernard Lord can based solely on his background. Conservative, of both English and French heritage, bilingual, born in Quebec, grew up in Atlantic Canada, currently working in Ottawa... Combine that with Jason Kenney's ability to resonate with ethnic communities and I think you have an excellent pathway toward making inroads in areas that are not typically represented by the Conservative party.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord-Kenney Dream Team?

Hey, better Lord than Bernier.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of a team, Lord might well make a contribution to the CPC. As a Leader toreplace Harper? Don't see that one turning out well.
Craig
Site Admin

Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8Reputation: 47.8
votes: 36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. The guy weighs a buck 30. How many leaders are runts of the litter? I'm not seeing much else though. Somebody get him a gym membership and feed him some steak!

Why not Mike Harris? He was popular in Quebec.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Lord run and I think he's definitely someone who could win a majority government.

Personally I'm not a Harper fan (don't bash me), and I think if the CPC want to win a majority they need to be more strategic with their next leader. While many in the party may want someone more right-wing the best bet is to go with a more moderate Tory and someone from eastern Canada. Someone like Lord who would most likely appeal to Quebeckers would be a great choice.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Governors have become USA Presidents (Bush 42, Clinton, Reagan, Carter and others), only one Premier ever became PM - Charles Tupper. He had the shortest time in power coming in near the end of the Tories 1891 mandate. The Tories actually received more votes than the Liberals did in the 1896 election but the Liberals won a majority of seats. Tupper tried once more in1900 but this time got less votes as well as less seats than the Liberals.

One of the Liberals few Leaders that never got to be a PM was Eduard Blake who had been a Premier. Tories tried with Stanfield, Bracken and Drew - all 3 reasonably successful as Premiers - and came up short.

I can't get too excited about some recycled politician. Others will have to pick up the slack here.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daveeire wrote:

I can't get too excited about some recycled politician. Others will have to pick up the slack here.

I don't consider Lord a future leader;
His appeal in the West where the CPC has 71 seats is questionable.

However if the CPC can retain or re-secure the seats it won in 2008 and in the by-elections since then they need only 9 seats.

If you assume the lack of an ABC campaign means two seats in NFLD, and Lord adds on in Moncton, and Smith adds one in Quebec you are walking into Ontario and beyond with a need for only five more seats.

The next election for the Conservatives will be a battle on the local political front; they need to take it riding by riding.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unlikely the Conservatives will hold on to all their current seats though. The Liberals are neck and neck with them in Ontario now and they are bound to lose seats in Quebec.
cosmostein

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:
It's unlikely the Conservatives will hold on to all their current seats though. The Liberals are neck and neck with them in Ontario now and they are bound to lose seats in Quebec.

The Tories were polling higher then their 2008 numbers are recently as December;

They added 19 seats in 2008
They added 25 seats in 2006
They added 21 seats in 2004

I am always surprised when folks feel that they have "capped" out, because I hear that after every election yet the CPC keeps winning seats.

The Tories are leading outside the margin of error with every major polling agency in Ontario at present. The Tories only secured 39% in Ontario in 2008, in December they were in the low 40's. The Liberal gains in the province have come at the expense of the NDP not the CPC.

Quebec is a strange political creature;
The riding the Tories have are normally personally popular candidates who won their riding by large margins, even at 15% in the Province they still retain eight of eleven seats. This also assumes Larry Smith doesn't win.

When you factor in the rock bottom popularity of the Liberals within the city of Vancouver, and assume the CPC will take back the lone Alberta NDP riding its not that unrealistic to assume with a few local races they could add 10 seats.

There are nearly 10 in the GTA alone that should be in play.
Progressive Tory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lastest Ipsos Reid poll showed the Conservatives at only 34% nationally and the Liberals led in Ontario 40% to 36%. I believe the Liberals only won 33% in 2008.

It's know sense predicting now though because we're not in a campaign and that's when it will all begin.

Personally I hope the Conservatives win another minority and that Harper, Ignatieff and Layton all resign!
beaver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive Tory wrote:

Personally I hope the Conservatives win another minority and that Harper, Ignatieff and Layton all resign!

Harper has his faults, but let's not forget he possesses the decisiveness that Canada needs during this time of economic uncertainty. Changing leaders amid the recovery would not look good on the Conservatives.

I see that you are a "progressive" Conservative, but the current Conservative government under Harper has been quite moderate and pragmatic. Harper has actually been criticized for being too liberal by some in his supporter base. I'm curious to know how much more "progressive" you want the Conservatives to be...

Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: