Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: David Morse former MLA to run for tory nom Kings Hants Reply with quote

( news of a unusually strong tory candidate in Scott Brison's riding of Kings Hants , Nova Scotia . a former provincial mla and cabinet minister from the riding is seeking the conservative nomination )

Morse will seek federal Tory nod

Wed, Oct 27 - 4:53 AM
David Morse says he’s going to try his luck in federal politics.

More than a year after losing his provincial seat as Kings South MLA, the former Tory cabinet minister announced Tuesday that he is seeking the Conservative nomination to run against Liberal MP Scott Brison in Kings-Hants.

Morse sat in the provincial legislature for 10 years, most recently serving as environment minister.

Since losing to New Democrat Ramona Jennex in the June 2009 provincial election, Morse said his former constituents have continually encouraged him to take another run at public office. Many of those folks want him to represent Kings-Hants, he said.

"It is increasingly obvious that Kings-Hants has paid a price as we have been left out of discretionary federal projects," Morse said in the release.

"We have a problem here in Kings-Hants and we desperately need a change in our representation if we want to catch up with the rest of the province."

http://thechronicleherald.ca/N.....08969.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Morse captures Kings Hants nomination
Angele Cano

David Morse shakes hands with one of his potential constituents at a meeting of the Kings-Hants Conservative association. Morse recently became the federal candidate for the riding.

EAST GORE: It’s the calm before the storm on a Friday afternoon in East Gore. East Hants is on blizzard alert.

There’s been a little bit of a scheduling/location conflict and as a result, I am meeting David Morse, Conservative Candidate for Kings-Hants, at the home Marge Harris for a meeting of Kings-Hants Conservative Association, instead of the East Gore Community Centre. While Harris is busy in the kitchen preparing snacks and tea, Morse is charged with greeting me at the door. It’s clear he’s had the chance to make some conversation.

“This house has quite a history,” he says excitedly. “Marge tells me it’s the oldest home in the area—it’s around 220 years old.” He leads me through the mudroom and large kitchen into a sitting room where there are about five people sitting and waiting for the event to start. Morse has come to hear the concerns of people living in Hants County, as he hopes he will be representing them in the future. Morse is the new Conservative candidate for Kings-Hants.

From 1999-2009, Morse represented the provincial electoral district of King’s South, having been elected again in 2003 and 2006 until he lost his seat to Ramona Jennex in 2009. But he’s not shy in saying that his 10 years was an anomaly. Morse has also been a provincial cabinet minister for 8.5 years.

“Ten years was the exception, especially in Kings-South,” he says. “The area doesn’t lend itself to a long political history since Harry Howe, and prior to that, Ed Haliburton. Since then the seat has become a swing seat and it’s been held by all three parties.”

Morse’s back faces the large picture window as he talks of his last campaign. He said he ran in 2009 because he wanted to offer the people of Kings-South an alternative to a majority NDP government.

“I’m well know in my community and I think they wanted to see me run,” he says, “however, when the tide goes out, sometimes it takes people with them and that’s fine.”

Morse had served at the Minister of Environment, Labour, Community Services, Natural Resources, Emergency Management, and Military Relations. He has an educational background in economics and business. He and his wife, Lynn, have five children in a blended family. After his extensive experience in provincial politics, he says he began attempts to move onto another chapter in his life.

As the clock chimes in the background, Morse, a man in his mid 50’s, wearing a navy jacket with the PC symbol pinned to his left lapel, sat back and waited to tell the next part of the story as if he were about to reach the boon of a fable—although we already know the outcome.

“I have no regrets about the last election campaign,” he says. “But after the campaign, what surprised me was that people continued to ask me whether I would run again. People are nice. You knock on the door and they may have no intention of voting for you, your party, leader, or platform, and they’re still nice at the door. But when they were still asking after a year, I started to get the idea that they were serious.”

He says it was at this point that he took a step back to weigh his options. He recalls a long walk and talk he had with his wife. He emphasizes his work in Kings County and much of the work he is proud of, talking of their successful transit system which now travels all the way to Digby.

“I feel like I can make a larger contribution federally,” he says, “because I know what we’re missing out on and I feel I’m in a position where I might be able to make a difference. I’ve seen things that have gone by that really should not have gone by.”

Morse touches on some programs which are not being used to the full extent in part of King’s County, and are not being accessed with the right set of hands.

“Some of the grants for the sportsplex in East Hants should be taken care of by your local representative,” he says. “It’s great that Scott Armstrong was asked to put that final piece in place, but that’s something that should be taken care of by your local representative.”

Throughout the afternoon, as more people start to gather in the next room, and the storm worsens outside, Morse is already dreaming up ideas for what he can do for the federal riding. For one, he says he’s like to see the MP be more accessible to those living in East Hants.

“I understand the MP can’t be everywhere,” he says, “but I think you have to make yourself equally accessible. The office in Wolfville is almost to the western extreme, and you’ve got a lot of people here in East Hants.”

Morse harkens back to his reasons for running anecdotally, saying he based his decision on his experiences.

“I’m doing this because I think the people of Kings-Hants can do better,” he says, but it’s not going to happen without a change in representative. I feel that I can bring more to the table.”

He’s also adamant that he doesn’t wish to criticize the current 13-year incumbent, Scott Brison, but he feels it’s time for a change.

“He’s personable and he’s very good at getting his name in the news,” says Morse, “but I can do a better job or representing and delivering for this area. I’d take my track record and stack it up against another challenger anytime. To me, he’s going to have to beat me.”

acano@enfieldweeklypress.com

http://www.enfieldweeklypress......sp?id=4984
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure;
A candidate with name recognition is better then one without.

However its not like he left Provincial Politics by choice;
He lost to the NDP in the last election.

Brison is beatable, however he is one of those Liberal MP's I like having in the Commons because he reminds the average voter how out of touch the Liberals are with reality.

Today's announcement of opting to raise corporate taxes for example.
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i think he is the best candidate yet the merged party has found in Kings Hants .
well its true he lost seat during provincial vote a number of successful mp's have had that happen to them like tony clement and gail shea . its not uncommon for provinical elections to turn into waves one way or another and mpp's cannot hold onto ridings even if they were ok politicians .

although brison be tough to beat and his role as a critic makes it a bit harder . as it sort of creates the perception that he's needed or should be kept around cause he's giving government a hard time

Jump to: