Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Brian Abrams resigns as Kingston cpc candidate Reply with quote

( not great news but could lead to an interestign and likely competitive nomination battle to be the next conservative candidate in kingston , as Milliken not running again and riding close last time . )

Conservative candidate resigns
Local News
By THE WHIG-STANDARD
Posted 8 hours ago

Brian Abrams, the federal Conservative candidate in Kingston and the Islands, has resigned.

Abrams cited family and work pressures are factors in his decision to step down Friday.

"It has been my distinct privilege to have been nominated twice as our federal candidate" Abrams said in the news release, adding that the people of Kingston and the Islands "deserve no less" than a candidate who can be engaged almost 24/7.

In a letter to Malcolm Stott, president of the Kingston and the Islands Conservative Electoral District Association, Abrams cited the demands of his legal practice, commitments to the Abrams Brother's Band, and his family as reasons for his resignation.

Abrams made great strides for the local Conservatives in the last election, narrowing the gap against incumbent Liberal Peter Milliken. Abrams campaigned for almost a year prior to the last election and earned 32.5% of the vote, 6.6% less than the Milliken.

http://www.thewhig.com/Article.....?e=2896227
cosmostein

votes: 21

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a riding that would be blue had Milliken not been the incumbent.
Its a floating island of red in a sea of blue.

I think a home run candidate is coming; this is one of the nine seats the Tories should target.
DavidK

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We have the Speaker's Chair, and we have his riding!" - I like the sound of that.
Daveeire

Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2Reputation: 37.2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingston used to vote PCPC even in bad years for that party such as 1974 and 1980. Yet it went into the Liberal column in 1988, the year Mulroney was re-elected with a reduced majourity.

The canddiate would likely have had to endure another nomination anyway if the current situation drags on due to Electoral District Boundary changes coming soon due to Redistribution. It can be difficult for candidates if they signed on for a campaign thinking it would be a matter of months rather than a mater of years.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmostein wrote:
Its a riding that would be blue had Milliken not been the incumbent.
Its a floating island of red in a sea of blue.

I think a home run candidate is coming; this is one of the nine seats the Tories should target.

with no milliken its definity a target riding , the new liberal candidate also comes across as a bit of an unknown . Ted Shu won the nomination over a couple of higher profile liberals including kingstons mayor . if the cpc could win vaughan i definity think kingston is within reach .

really have no idea who new cpc candidate might be , no names come to mind yet and not sure who ran for nomination there in 08 or if anyone else wanted it the year abrams got it . the conservatives do have one high profile caucus member from kingston that being Hugh Segal but he is allready in the senate
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candidacy race should be lively, Segal says
Local News
By PAUL SCHLIESMANN, THE WHIG-STANDARD
Posted 8 hours ago

There should be no shortage of candidates to fill the political void left by former federal Conser vative candidate Brian Abrams.

Alicia Gordon, co-owner of a well-known auction firm, confirmed yesterday that she may take a run at the Kingston and the Islands nomination.

"I'm really considering it. Over the holidays I'm making some calls to people to get their reaction," she said.

Several others have also been testing the waters, according to Conservative senator Hugh Segal.

"That was just really within an hour of the piece appearing in the Whig on Saturday," Segal said.

Abrams, a Kingston lawyer, issued a press release Friday indicating he was stepping down for personal reasons. He cited commitments to his legal practice, his family and the family band that features his sons.

On the weekend, he did not respond to requests for an interview.

"He couldn't do the 24/7 necessar y to take the riding back from the Grits," said Segal.

There had been no falling out between Abrams and the party, Segal added.

"I'm not aware of any difficulties. We were in contact on a regular basis," he said.

Segal said Kingston and the Islands had become a "target riding" for the Conservatives after Abrams put up a strong challenge against Liberal MP and Speaker of the House of Commons Peter Milliken in the last election.

Advertisement

Milliken announced this summer he was retiring from politics after holding the riding for 22 years.

"There's no question Peter was a formidable force in the riding," said Segal.

Segal said he doesn't know whether Milliken had accomplished all he'd wanted to do politically "or whether he saw the nu mbers in the next election and that was a hill he didn't want to climb (but) the fact there is no incumbent gives all parties a better chance."

Ted Hsu has since won the Liberal nomination. The NDP will be represented by Daniel Beals and the Green Party by Eric Walton.

Gordon took a shot yesterday at Milliken's record.

Milliken defeated her husband, Barry, in the 1993 election.

"I'm not sure we've had a member really able to go after some money we need here for infrastructure and different projects," Gordon said.

"Kingston has been a little neglected over the past 20 years. I would like to sell Kingston in Ottawa."

The Conservative riding association will hold its annual meeting in January and Segal said the local nomination process will unfold soon after that, meaning Gordon could get her shot at the candidacy in February.

When that time comes, Segal expects a full slate.

"I've had some indication from one or two really high-profile Kingstonians," he said. "I think we're going to have a superb candidate."

The talk in Ottawa is about a spring election -- possibly May.

"I have no more sense of when the election might happen than you do," said Segal.

"The organization is in great shape. All of the work done by Brian Abrams is in the hands of the executive."

http://www.thewhig.com/Article.....?e=2898949

Jump to: