Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCO

votes: 3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of a high profile potential candidate in London North centre )

Branscombe to seek provincial run for Tories
LONDON-NORTH- CENTRE

By Patrick Maloney The London Free Press

Last Updated: December 10, 2010 1:22pm
Nancy Branscombe. (QMI Agency file photo) Ward 6 Coun. Nancy Branscombe aims to run for MPP for the Progressive Conservatives in London-North-Centre, the seat held by Ontario Health Minister Deb Matthews, The Free Press has learned.

Branscombe, re-elected to city council mere weeks ago by one of the widest margins in London, has surprisingly cast an eye toward Queen's Park, setting the stage for a marquee clash in next fall's provincial election.

First elected to city council in 2006, Branscombe established herself as a strong voice and appeared poised to be among Mayor Joe Fontana's strongest opponents in the term ahead.

She will remain on council during her campaign for the PC nomination in January and, if successful, into the fall election.

She's to launch her campaign Friday night.

It was seven years ago that Matthews, a long-time backroom Liberal and sister-in-law of former premier David Peterson, waged another clash of political titans in LNC, unseating PC cabinet minister Dianne Cunningham.

If she makes the jump to provincial politics, Branscombe's move could tip the power balance significantly on city council.

Stay with lfpress.com and The Free Press for more on the story

http://www.lfpress.com/news/lo.....04096.html
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news of a new candidate in Barrie after a bizare and controvercial nomination process )

Jackson given PC nod
Local News
By BOB BRUTON, BARRIE EXAMINER
Posted 3 hours ago

Rod Jackson overcame October's defeat to find victory in December.

Jackson will be Barrie's Progressive Conservative candidate in next fall's provincial election, after outdistancing Alex Nuttall, Greer He m i s t o n -Campbell and Wayne McCallum in Friday's nominat i o n meeting.

"I, for one of the first times in my political life, am speechless," he said after the result was announced. "What we need in Barrie is a strong representative in Queen's Park."

Jackson didn't let losing his city council seat in the October city election, after just one term on council, get in his way before a packed crowd at the Army Navy & Air Force Club.

He said he's ready for the Oct. 6, 2011 Ontario election.

"I will win this riding," Jackson said. "You know who I want to beat, the Liberals. If that means (current Barrie MPP) Aileen Carroll, so be it."

Nuttall, who had called him-s elf the front-runner in the Tory nomination race, said he would help Jackson win.

"We have to stick together now," said Nuttall, Barrie's Ward 10 councillor.

"The in-fighting is over. We have to stand behind Rod."

Nuttall was accused by some members of his own party of irregularities in recruiting new members for Friday's nomination meeting.

He denied the allegations.

Advertisement

But this situation led, in part, to the resignation of Fred Hamelink as president of Barrie's PC riding association just five days before the nomination meeting.

He r m i s t o n -C a m p b e l l alluded to this divisiveness.

"His (Hamelink's) resignation as president of the riding association sends a very clear signal that things are not right," she said.

Jackson campaigned for the PC candidacy in Barrie with a platform to improve local health care, make the street safer and attract higher-paying jobs to Barrie -- all familiar topics for the former city councillor.

His victory also means there will be no byelection in Ward 10, which would have been the case if Nuttall had won the Tory candidacy and won the Barrie riding -- which usually votes Tory -- in October.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.c.....?e=2895863
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( an interesting race in elgin middlesex london )

Five Tory hopefuls eye riding
By QMI Agency

Last Updated: December 31, 2010 8:52am

With the Ontario election still months away, at least five wanna-be MPPs are vying to run for the Progressive Conservatives in Liberal-held Elgin-Middlesex-London.

Longtime Liberal MPP Steve Peters, speaker of the legislature, is stepping down, opening the door to a newcomer in the riding the Tories haven’t held since 1987.

The five candidates who’ve declared their intention to go after the PC nomination for the October election:

Lynn Acre, former Bayham mayor.

Bill Fehr, who ran for the PCs in the 2007 Ontario election and is the riding association’s past president.

Tom Marks, former mayor and deputy mayor of Central Elgin.

Delia Reiche, a former deputy mayor of Thames Centre, who ran for the Conservatives in federal election in 2000.

Jeff Yurek, co-owner of Yurek Pharmacy.

Stan Stanek, president of PC riding association, hinted a sixth candidate may enter the race but he declined to say who.

The riding takes in south London, St. Thomas and Elgin County.

Peters has held the riding since 1999. Before that, it was held by independent Peter North, who also served one term as a New Democrat.

The riding is one of two Liberal-held seats in the London region being vacated by governing Liberals, their party running behind the opposition Conservatives in the polls for the first time since Dalton McGuinty’s government swept to power in 2003.

Liberal Pat Hoy, another longtime MPP, is stepping down next fall in Chatham-Kent-Essex.

The Liberals have won two straight majority governments. The last time a government won three straight majorities in Ontario was in 1959.

All four London seats are held by the Liberals.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/lo.....12211.html
RCO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North wants back in the arena
PROVINCIAL ELECTION: The former MPP, seeking a comeback 21 years after he was first elected, is seeking the Tory nomination for the Elgin-Middlesex-London riding

By DEBORA VAN BRENK, The London Free Press

Last Updated: January 4, 2011 7:38am

There was a time when the Ontario Tories weren’t on speaking terms with Peter North.

Now, they’re calling him.

North says he’s seeking the Conservative nomination for the fall election in Elgin-Middlesex-London — roughly the same turf he served as an MPP in the 1990s, first with the New Democrats and then as a history-making independent.

He said a meeting with 20 advisers Monday confirmed the time’s right to add his name to what’s now a crowded field of six would-be Tory candidates.

It’s a riding that’ll be vacated by three-term Liberal MPP Steve Peters, who isn’t running again.

“I asked them point blank: ‘Do I have an opportunity or am I yesterday’s guy?’ ’’ North said of Monday’s gathering. They unanimously endorsed him.

A home-building contractor based in Port Stanley, North gained a reputation as a rural and riding advocate during his tenure as an MPP.

He was elected with the NDP in 1990 and soon appointed tourism minister. In 1993 — realizing he had more in common with the small-business-friendly right, and stung by a no-sex scandal that ultimately included an OPP probe that cleared his name — he left the NDP and started to talk with the local Conservatives.

The overture wasn’t reciprocated.

“I wasn’t welcomed locally” by the Tories, North says. But his populist approach won him the popular vote and in 1995 he was elected Ontario’s first independent MPP in 61 years.

When that term ended in 1999, says the former hockey player and coach, “I left the game.”

But he didn’t leave the arena. Continuing to volunteer for and donate to Conservative politics, “I started to get invited instead of excluded,” he said. “I think the shift (in thinking) is not just my own.”

He’s impressed by Tory Leader Tim Hudak and the party’s take on taxes, small business and electricity.

Party affiliation aside, North considers Peters a close friend and wouldn’t seek the nomination if Peters were running again.

“Steve is a very, very strong representative for us. It would be very difficult for anyone to beat him, including me,” North said.

PC riding association president Stan Stanek said the rush of nominations is partly the result of Peters calling it quits.

But the Liberals’ record during this term, compared with the Tories’ ideas to govern Ontario, are also key reasons, Stanek said.

The nomination meeting is scheduled March 28 at Parkside collegiate institute in St. Thomas — a venue big enough to hold 1,000 people, Stanek said.

Most of the five others who will face off for the nomination have also had considerable political involvement:

Lynn Acre, former Bayham mayor;

Bill Fehr, PC candidate in the last Ontario election;

Tom Marks, former mayor of Central Elgin;

Delia Reiche, federal Tory EML candidate in the 2000 election and former deputy mayor of Thames Centre.

Jeff Yurek, co-owner of Yurek Pharmacy.

The deadline to buy a party membership — and have a vote at the nomination meeting — is March 5.

The Liberals haven’t scheduled a nomination date to choose a successor to Peters, but there is interest, said riding president Mark Cosens.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/lo.....45461.html
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from a friend in Cornwall that a guy named Brock Frost is thinking about running for the open seat in SDSG. He said he had good conservative cred, and managed a federal campaign in Alberta last time around. Anyone know more about him, seems like an ok candidate in what should be a winnable seat.
CanadianKid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.c.....?e=2921061

Huron-Kinloss Mayor Mitch Twolan is thinking about going for the nom in Huron-Bruce.
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Sandra Bolan|
Jan 07, 2011 - 1:50 PM
|
0 .Pharmacist seeks Tory MPP nod
Wassef aims for Oak Ridges-Markham riding

Big name support. Main Street pharmacist Farid Wassef was encouraged to join the Conservative party by MPP Frank Klees. Staff Photo/Sjoerd Witteveen Former pharmacist of year is author, nutritionist

Farid Wassef, who is married with two young children, came to Stouffville with his family in 1970.
A few years later, his father purchased Houston Pharmacy at Main and Church streets, which Mr. Wassef took over in 1989. In 2006, he merged with Rob Croxall, another pharmacist in town, who together own Main Street’s Stouffville IDA Pharmacy.
Along with being a pharmacist, Mr. Wassef is a certified clinical nutritionist.
In 2006, Mr. Wassef was named the Canadian pharmacist of the year.
He is a member of the Canadian Pharmacists Association, Canadian Society of Hospital Pharmacists, Ontario College of Pharmacists, Ontario Pharmacists Association and the Markham Pharmacists Association.
Some of his career highlights include: creating a fee-for-service patient consultation and physician collaborative practice (1993); an advisory board member for the Institute of Functional Medicine (1999 to 2004); co-authored Breaking the Age Barrier (2003) and since 2006, Mr. Wassef has been on the Pharmacy Practice Advisory Panel.

For years, Farid Wassef has advocated for a better public health care system.
When the provincial government introduced its e-health plan and local integrated network initiatives, the 46-year-old community pharmacist for Stouffville IDA Pharmacy was all for them.
But as the years went by and the programs, in particular e-health, weren’t being rolled out as planned, Mr. Wassef started to question the Ontario government.
And last summer, the rift increased, as Mr. Wassef became a vocal opponent of the provincial government’s drug reform policy, which eliminated professional allowances and lowered the cost of generic drugs by 50 per cent.
Now, he’s taken things one step further. Mr. Wassef is seeking the nomination of the Ontario PC Party for the Oak Ridges-Markham riding.
Provincial election day in Ontario is Oct. 6. Mr. Wassef expects a nomination meeting will be held in March.
“The one thing that’s led me to this point is I’ve always asked questions. You know I just don’t accept pat answers,” he said. “I mean, I was a pain to my high school teachers, to my pharmacy professors – why do we do this and how do we know this is true?”
The e-health scandal and subsequent auditor’s report were the final nails in the proverbial coffin when it came to Mr. Wassef no longer supporting the Ontario government’s health care plans.
“We could have a more efficient public health system, understand utilization, cut down on fraud. In theory, that was all good. But $1 billion later, it’s not up and running,” Mr. Wassef said. “No government is perfect and they’re going to make bad decisions. But you’ve (got) to be transparent about it, hold yourself accountable and say: ‘what we’re doing is not the right direction. Let’s close this down and try something else.’ But they didn’t do that.”
When Frank Klees, MPP for Newmarket-Aurora tried to sway Mr. Wassef in 2006 to join the party, the timing was all wrong for Mr. Wassef. However, the two remained in contact and Mr. Klees, who once represented Whitchurch-Stouffville, even attended Mr. Wassef’s drug reform policy information session last May in Stouffville. That is when Mr. Klees, once again, asked Mr. Wassef to join the PC Party.
“He saw that I had this passion, knowledge and skills,” Mr. Wassef said. “It never crossed my mind to run for MPP. I was always just an active, concerned citizen and that was my approach.”
If Mr. Wassef wins the nomination and the election, he has three items on his agenda:
• cut down on wasteful spending.
• introduce mechanisms to “stop corruption and scandalous spending”
• get back to basics
“Understand we are serving the public. We are elected officials and we need to consult with them, with all groups, not just the buddies that get us in,” he said.
If Mr. Wassef were to win the nomination, he could be squaring off against the current Oak Ridges-Markham MPP, Liberal Dr. Helena Jaczek, who has held the seat since 2007. She confirmed Thursday she will seek re-election.
Mr. Wassef will hold a meet-and-greet at Latcham Hall in Stouffville Memorial Park Wednesday from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. The event is free.

http://www.yorkregion.com/news.....ry-mpp-nod
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( news from nipissing riding )

Campaign for provincial seat heating up
By Kate Adams
BayToday.ca
Friday, January 07, 2011
Bill Vrebosch is taking a second run at provincial politics.

Vrebosch will formalize his intentions to seek the local PC nomination today during a news conference at 1:30 pm at the North Bay Legion Branch 23, on First Ave East.

Vrebosch ran under the PC banner in 2007 and gave Liberal incumbent Monique Smith a true race as he garnered 13,373 votes (40.9%) to her 13,730 votes (41.9%).

Everyone is invited to attend.

Former North Bay Mayor Victor Fedeli will be making a formal announcement about his intentions to run for the Provincial seat Wednesday, January 12th at the Davedi Club at noon.

http://www.baytoday.ca/content.....sp?c=40263
RCO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd joins nomination race
Local News
By ELIZABETH BOWER , EXAMINER STAFF WRITER
Posted 7 hours ago

Angela Lloyd -- chairwoman of the public school board six times over the last 16 years -- is running for the Peterborough riding provincial Progressive Conservative nomination, The Examiner has learned.

Lloyd, 55, who is currently vice-chair woman of the Kawartha Pine Ridge District School Board, joins Scott Wasson, Heather Kenny, Dave Haacke and Alan Wilson in the nomination race.

"Education is so fundamental to a strong democratic society and now I feel it's time to take part in the next level for a strong democracy," Lloyd said Tuesday night.

The Tories are planning the nomination meeting for April 2 at Adam Scott Collegiate, although it has yet to be finalized, said Bruce Fitzpatrick, president of the party's riding association.

Local Tories are hoping to topple Peterborough Liberal MPP Jeff Leal -- who has represented the Peterborough riding since 2003 -- in the election slated for October.

Lloyd, a Bailieboro resident, said she has been chairwoman of the public board's budget committee that oversees a budget in excess of $350 million.

If she wins the nomination, she said she'd have to take a leave of absence from the board during the election.

Lloyd is a mother of two adult children and has co-owned Millbrook Farm and Pet Supply with her husband Tony for 25 years.

She said she has been a member of the Cavan Monaghan Police Services Board for more than a year and has served on the Otonabee-South Monaghan Township recreation committee.

Haacke, Wilson and Kenny have all been approved by the party as candidates for the nomination, while Lloyd and Wasson have applied but have yet to be approved, Fitzpatrick said.

http://www.thepeterboroughexam.....?e=2925592
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( another liberal mpp not seeking re-election , riding not exactly a pc target more of an ndp one and possible ndp pick up )

Ontario Liberal David Ramsay to retire from politics
KAREN HOWLETT
Globe and Mail Update
Published Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 5:40PM EST
Last updated Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 5:43PM EST

David Ramsay has added his name to the growing list of Liberal members who are bailing out of this year’s provincial election in Ontario as Premier Dalton McGuinty’s government seeks a third term.

Mr. Ramsay, a former cabinet minister, announced on Thursday that he is retiring from politics after serving as the MPP for the Northern Ontario riding of Timiskaming-Cochrane for 25 years.

When he completes his term in October, Mr. Ramsay will have been in public life for just over 26 years. He told The Globe and Mail that he won’t miss traveling the 500 kilometres back and forth from his farm in New Liskeard in the heart of Northern Ontario mining country to Toronto.

“How much more can a guy do,” he said with a chuckle.

It had been widely expected around the provincial legislature that Mr. Ramsay would not run for re-election on Oct. 6. In fact, he informed the Premier of his plans last November. Mr. Ramsay was deeply disappointed when he was dropped as natural resources minister in October, 2007, when Mr. McGuinty overhauled his cabinet after the Liberals won a second majority.

The news came just minutes after Mr. McGuinty finished a media scrum in Hamilton, so there was no opportunity for reporters to ask him questions. Mr. McGuinty was quoted in the statement issued by Mr. Ramsay’s office, saying the backbencher has served families in his riding with “passion and dedication.”

Mr. Ramsay is the eighth Liberal MPP to announce that he is bowing out this year’s election race. Peter Fonseca resigned from cabinet last month to jump to federal politics. The former labour minister is set to be appointed the Liberal candidate to succeed retiring MP Albina Guarnieri in Mississauga East-Cooksville. Mr. Fonseca will remain an MPP until his federal appointment is official.

Mr. Ramsay and Mr. Fonseca join house leader Monique Smith, Speaker Steve Peters and backbenchers Wayne Arthurs, Jim Brownell, Bruce Crozier and Pat Hoy.

The Liberals hold 72 of the 107 seats in the provincial legislature. The Progressive Conservatives have 25 and the New Democrats, 10.

Mr. Ramsay said he would like to try his hand at helping to resolve disputes involving mining claims. He also said he and his wife, Kathy, travel every eight weeks to the Maritimes to visit their two daughters and four grandchildren.

“We’d like to spend a little more time with them,” he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....cmpid=rss1
RCO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( in an odd twist Bill Vrebosch has withdrwan from the ontario pc race in nipissing )

Vrebosch withdraws from race
Local News
By GORD YOUNG THE NUGGET
Posted 1 hour ago

Bill Vrebosch is pulling out of the Progressive Conservative nomination race to stand by his wife, who has fallen ill.

The news comes little more than a week after the longtime East Ferris mayor announced his candidacy among supporters during a news conference at the North Bay Legion.

My wife, Gisele, is the ultimate wife, who would do anything to back me up in this quest and she knows it has been a lifelong dream of mine," Vrebosch said in a press release issued Sunday. Despite her objections, I have decided that I am unable to continue the nomination race because I will not allow my wife to sacrifice her health for my political desires and ambitions. Even though she is telling me to go on with the nomination race, there is no question that Gisele and her health come first."

With his family's support, Vrebosch said he took on the challenge of seeking the nomination thinking the health issue that was brewing with his wife could be managed.

But he said it became clear a few days after announcing his bid for the nomination that her health would require more care and attention than initially contemplated. Her illness is serious, but not life-threatening.

Since my announcement, many friends have offered to help and I realize that this will be a shock to them," said Vrebosch.

I want to thank our many friends and I ask them to accept my decision to look after my family before politics."

Vrebosch, who will remain mayor of East Ferris, was running against former North Bay mayor Vic Fedeli for the provincial nomination.

The race was shaping up to be one of largest such battles ever for the Nipissing riding, with thousands of memberships expected to be sold by both candidates.

Both Vic Fedeli and I know that we would have been formidable foes for each other and that, since we are both very passionate when we go after something, the race would have been something that would be nothing less than exciting," said Vrebosch.

I wish Vic all the success in his quest and I am sure that he will do Nipissing proud."

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Fedeli offered his best wishes and understanding to the Vrebosch family.

He called personally, which was extremely thoughtful of Billy," said Fedeli, calling it admirable that Vrebosch is putting his family first.

Fedeli said the two talked about the depth and breadth" of the battle that would have taken place between the two for the Conservative banner.

We both want what's best for Nipissing and we both want what's best for the North," said Fedeli, adding it would have been a tough choice for some people that would have come down to the finer points."

Vrebosch ran under the Cons e r v at i v e banner in 2007, coming within 357 votes of beating Liberal Nipissing MPP Monique Smith.

Rich Stivrins, president of the Nipissing Provincial Progressive Conservative Riding Association, said there has been a lot interest in the nomination because Vrebosch came so close to winning in the last election.

Although Vrebosch and Fedeli were the two main contenders, Stivrins said there wereotherswhoshowed inter-e st. And he said he doesn't know if another candidate may step forward.

If not, he said a nomination meeting will still take place to acclaim Fedeli.

Stivrins agreed the race between Fedeli and Vrebosch would have attracted thousands of voters. But he said there remains a lot of interest in the future of the riding.

I wish Gisele the best and hope for a speedy recovery," said Stivrins.

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2932331
RCO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

( the ontario pc party pretty much just gained a new seat with news that Barrie mpp aileen carroll won't run again , the riding barely went liberal and has always mostly been pc historicaly . it looks like Rod Jackson is headed to queens park in 2011 , i can't picture there being a liberal candidate who could hold that one other than her and there was a good chance she was going to lose anyways )

Former Ont. minister Carroll won't run in election
Updated: Fri Jan. 21 2011 1:40:30 PM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO — Former Ontario cabinet minister Aileen Carroll is joining the growing ranks of Liberals who say they won't run for re-election in the fall.

Carroll, who served for two years as culture minister and minister responsible for seniors, won't be seeking a second term on Oct. 6.

The Halifax-born politician also served as federal minister of international co-operation in the Paul Martin government.

She was elected to provincial parliament in 2007 in the Barrie riding north of Toronto.

Several prominent Liberals have announced they won't run again, including Speaker Steve Peters, Monique Smith and David Ramsay.

Former labour minister Peter Fonseca is not expected to run either, as he'll be seeking a federal seat.

Carroll noted that over the last four years, there was an "unprecedented infusion" of provincial cash to Barrie -- more than half a billion dollars -- much of which went to health care.

She said she's not planning to retire and will pursue "other opportunities" after the October election.

"It has been a great privilege to serve the people of Barrie at Queen's Park and engage the numerous issues that impact their lives and the well-being of our community," she said in a statement.

Carroll started her political career in 1995 as a Barrie alderman. She won the seat as a federal Liberal candidate in 1997 and was re-elected twice in 2000 and 2004.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/.....ntoNewHome
RCO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

( more candidates in huron bruce )

Dairy goat co-op GM seeks PC nomination
Local News
By THE SUN TIMES
Posted 1 hour ago

Lisa Thompson, the general manager of the Ontario Dairy Goat Co-operative, is seeking the Progressive Conservative Party's nomination in Huron-Bruce for the next provincial election.

"Ontario's economy is in tatters. Mighty Ontario, once the economic engine of Canada, the engine that drove opportunity and created the highest standard of living in Canada, is now burdened with a debt of approximately $225 billion and is officially a 'have not' province," Thompson said in a news release Friday.

The Liberal party "does not have an economic plan to rebuild Ontario. Taxing a lot and spending even more is not a strategy. The leadership vision to restore economic confidence in the province just isn't there and ridings like Huron-Bruce have been marginalized and are always on the outside looking in. This is not acceptable," she said in her news release.

Thompson, 46, grew up in East Wawanosh in North Huron and now lives with her husband in Teeswater. She has three stepchildren, the youngest of whom is in her third year at university.

Thompson is the first person to officially announce her candidacy for the PC nomination, she said Friday. A nomination convention is tentatively scheduled for early April.

Huron-Bruce is represented at Queen's Park by Carol Mitchell, the Liberal government's minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs.

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.c.....?e=2941749
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former LU president seeks Tory nomination
Carl Clutchey
Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 08:00

Ontario’s Conservative party could have a high-profile contender in Thunder Bay-Atikokan in the provincial fall election.
Retired Lakehead University president Fred Gilbert has announced his intention to seek the party’s nomination.
Gilbert, noting he has found retirement “a bit boring,” said Wednesday he made the decision to seek the nomination earlier this month following a meeting with Tory Leader Tim Hudak, a former Northern Development and Mines minister.
“He’s bright, energetic and sees the need for a northern policy,” said the 69-year-old Gilbert.
So far, nobody else has publicly expressed an interest in carrying the party banner in Thunder Bay-Atikokan, but riding association president Ted Scollie said one other candidate may surface before the March 5 nomination meeting.
Gilbert, who grew up in Toronto and worked in senior management at Canadian and American universities prior to his 12-year term as LU’s president, said he doesn’t feel ready to retire.
“I still play hockey,” he said.
As LU president, he added, “I have walked the halls of power and know Queen’s Park quite well.”
If Gilbert wins the nomination, he is to face Liberal MPP Bill Mauro, who is running for a third consecutive term.
Mauro seemed undaunted by the prospect of Gilbert as an opponent: “I’m looking forward to the campaign,” he said.
Two candidates are vying to represent the NDP in the riding: party staffer and volunteer Mary Kozorys and former Schreiber mayor Madge Richardson. George Saarinen, a Lakehead Public Schools trustee, dropped out of the race for personal reasons. Nomination meetings have been tentatively set for March 19 (Atikokan) and March 20 (Thunder Bay).
Thunder Bay-Atikokan has been seen as a riding that could be up for grabs in the Oct. 6 vote, given the closeness of the 2007 election.
In 2007, Mauro defeated NDP challenger John Rafferty by a slim margin of 10,928-10,878. Rafferty went on to become the NDP MP for Thunder Bay-Rainy River.
The Conservatives haven’t had a high-profile candidate in Northwestern Ontario provincially since Leo Bernier, who was a strong representative in the cabinet of former premier Bill Davis in the early 1970s.
The Sioux Lookout-born Bernier, who became known as the Emperor of the North, died last year.

http://www.chroniclejournal.co.....nomination
RCO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheryl Miller’s candidacy official
Ex-city councillor seeks provincial Tory nomination

By Patrick Maloney The London Free Press

Last Updated: January 28, 2011 8:15pm

Cheryl Miller formally announced Friday morning she will seek the Progressive Conservative nomination to run for MPP in London-Fanshawe.

The expected move was first reported Thursday, at lfpress.com.

Miller officially announced her intentions Friday morning on the AM 980 radio show McArthur In The Morning, where she is a weekly guest.

A realtor, Miller served on council for 13 years and declined to seek re-election last fall.

She played a key role in the 2010 civic election, however, by co-chairing Joe Fontana’s successful mayoral campaign.

Interestingly, Miller will now run under the same provincial banner as Coun. Nancy Branscombe, who had been an at-times-outspoken critic of Fontana during the fall campaign.

Early polls indicate the Tim Hudak-led Tories are running ahead of the Liberals for the first time since the Grits, led by Dalton McGuinty, took power in 2003.

London-Fanshawe is now held by Liberal MPP Khalil Ramal.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/lo.....78221.html

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  

Jump to: