Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Pentagon Report Says Over 900 Chinese Missiles Aimed At Taiw Reply with quote

Internal Pentagon documents in the US has revealed that China has deployed more than 900 ballistic missiles against rival Taiwan that could obliterate the island's air force in the event of a war breaking out with mainland China.

The missiles had ranges of 300 to 600 miles and the number deployed against the island kept on increasing, the United Daily News said citing an unnamed US intelligence source.

Taiwan's three US-made Patriot anti-missile batteries which comprises of some 200 anti-missile weapons, would be insufficient against an intensive Chinese bombardment, unidentified Taiwanese defense ministry officials told the newspaper.

Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian said in July last year that China's People's Liberation Army had aimed 784 ballistic and 36 cruise missiles at the island with the number rising by 120 per year, he added.

The missiles could paralyze Taiwan's communications, transportation and command centers in a 10-hour bombardment, Taiwan's defense ministry says.
kwlafayette

votes: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the chances are of America actually standing up for Taiwan are, if push came to shove? I wonder how the South Vietnamese would answer that questions? If the US withdraws from Iraq, I think that would be a pretty definitive answer.
Buddy Kat

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess China has to protect it's oil supplier (Iran) from potential enemies also. I don't buy the arguement they will navel gaze while the US claims it all just because the US is their number 1 trading partner.

Oil security for a strong military trumps all...the US proved that in the last half century. The recent blasting of a satellite sent a nice mesage and now the missles aimed at tel aviv send another, all while Iran tests it's new missles.

Maybe canada should be a lot more friendlier towards China and instead of gearing up to please US intrests they please Chinease ones,hence removing the threat of China protecting Iraq.

Anyway you look at it's a bad hair day.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Taiwan, I heard people saying that they can RESIST any chinese invasion but they dont know HOW LONG they can resist.
Joahob

votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If China were to attack today, I think Taiwan would win even without US help.

But five years from now...

As China grows stronger the US grows less likely to defend Taiwan against Chinese aggression. Thatís especially bad for Taiwan because no matter how hard they try, they wonít be able to maintain their military advantage. The Chinese will soon surpass them if they havenít already.
Guelphfirst

Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2Reputation: 44.2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joahob wrote:
If China were to attack today, I think Taiwan would win even without US help.

But five years from now...

As China grows stronger the US grows less likely to defend Taiwan against Chinese aggression. Thatís especially bad for Taiwan because no matter how hard they try, they wonít be able to maintain their military advantage. The Chinese will soon surpass them if they havenít already.

Chinaís biggest problem is the lack of amphibious assault vehicles and aircraft carriers. They have tones of everything else.
Winston is correct, Taiwan would fall very quickly; just shear numbers would dictate that. Taiwan could not be resupplied by anyone, and sorry the US would not want to get into a war with one of itís biggest trading partners and the biggest holder of its foreign debt.

Jump to: