Home FAQ Search Memberlist User Groups Register Login   

BloggingTories.ca Forum IndexBloggingTories.ca Forum Index
    Index     FAQ     Search     Register     Login         JOIN THE DISCUSSION - CLICK HERE      

*NEW* Login or register using your Facebook account.

Not a member? Join the fastest growing conservative community!
Membership is free and takes 15 seconds

CLICK HERE or use Facebook to login or register ----> Connect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
potan

Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3Reputation: 36.3
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Wikileaks Diplomatic leak Reply with quote

Just wondering what y'all think about the Wikileaks's release of secret U.S. State Department cables. I don't buy the Obama administration's assertion that it endangers lives. I think its extremely embarrassing for the U.S. more than anything, with their frank assessment of foreign leaders.

I'm trying to look for any information about Canada in those cables. It would be interesting to see what the State Department really thinks about the Canadian government. It seems like there are at least 4 cables sent from the U.S. embassy in Ottawa: http://www.google.com/fusionta.....cid=317391
JDot

votes: 5

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Wikileaks Diplomatic leak Reply with quote

potan wrote:
Just wondering what y'all think about the Wikileaks's release of secret U.S. State Department cables. I don't buy the Obama administration's assertion that it endangers lives. I think its extremely embarrassing for the U.S. more than anything, with their frank assessment of foreign leaders.

I'm trying to look for any information about Canada in those cables. It would be interesting to see what the State Department really thinks about the Canadian government. It seems like there are at least 4 cables sent from the U.S. embassy in Ottawa: http://www.google.com/fusionta.....cid=317391

The Canadian stuff will be leaked thursday I read. I am trying to find the link.

All I know is that kid Bradly Manning who is accused of leaking all this stuff. Will be in a dark hole for a longtime..

EDIT - Link..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/new.....apers.html

Quote:
Thursday will see attention focus on the Canadians and their "inferiority complex"

I am shocked that the leaks will reveal Canada has a "inferiority complex". Who would have thought it.. :|
Habsrwfan

Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8Reputation: 49.8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view on it is mixed.

On the one hand, it's actually kind of fascinating to know what US diplomats really think of the heads of states of other countries. Honestly, I'd be interested to know what US diplomats have to say about Harper, if anything.

On the other hand, there's no question that WikiLeaks is seriously straining diplomatic relations between the US and other nations with this leak. "Endangering lives" might be putting it too strongly, but it can only worsen relations between the US and other nations, and if, say, world peace is something that we'd like to see, then that obviously can only be a bad thing. :(

On the whole, I don't think that piquing the interest of those of us who love reading about such things (myself included) is worth the diplomatic fallout that comes from it.
Bugs

votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still looking for the bombshell revelation.

It is embarrassing to have these note and reports revealed, no doubt, but it seems to me that the most interesting thing about these papers is how much is happening, in terms of hostile acts against other nations. Most of these surprising actions were initiated by other nations.

It lays bare the Saudi connection to Al Qaeda, for instance. It reveals that the Chinese have been launching cyber-attacks against the US. It confirms that Iran is supplying Hezbollah in Lebanon, and that North Korea has shipped sophisticated medium range missiles (capable of carrying a nuclear bomb) to Iran.

As for the comments on foreign leaders -- the comments are certainly believable. Sarkozy is thin skinned? Who knew? Putin is an 'alpha dog' ... no kidding. I'm sure that major powers have psychological profiles of all the other world leaders, and it's hard to imagine that politicians, at this level, are going to let this get in the way.

This will only shock those who expect some kind of politically correct perfection. In my mind. On the other hand, only a few hundred of the 250,000 documents have really been vetted by the media at this point.

What will they say about Canada? What's there to say? It's just so-oo exciting.
potan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugs wrote:
I am still looking for the bombshell revelation.

This is surprising. Chinese leaders would prefer a re-unified Korea under Seoul's control. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11871641
I guess they don't have much love for Kim Jong-il.
chilipepper

votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO wikileaks should be prosecuted, and whoever stole the information, I'm surprised the gov't hasn't brought the website down yet.

Obviously this guy cares nothing for his country only wanting to see it's demise and global world order - he may not be a terrorist but treason should fit - what's the penalty for treason !
Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potan wrote:
This is surprising. Chinese leaders would prefer a re-unified Korea under Seoul's control. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11871641
I guess they don't have much love for Kim Jong-il.

Granted, but I took it to mean that China would not veto the move, rather than it being a goal of Chinese diplomacy. I wonder if they'd see it as gobbling up the South, or a real unification of an independent country.
potan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
IMO wikileaks should be prosecuted, and whoever stole the information, I'm surprised the gov't hasn't brought the website down yet.

Obviously this guy cares nothing for his country only wanting to see it's demise and global world order - he may not be a terrorist but treason should fit - what's the penalty for treason !

The wikileaks guy, Julian Assange is a stateless person. He was originally an Australian citizen but now has residency in Sweden.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I realize that now, but he obviously has a hate on for the U.S. I don't see him doing this for any higher purpose other than the regular variety of anti Americanism.

I wonder why some gov't hasn't brought down the site, they surely could easily, without anyone really knowing who did it.
DavidK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chilipepper wrote:
I wonder why some gov't hasn't brought down the site, they surely could easily, without anyone really knowing who did it.

If that happened I think there could be a massive PR war. I mean c'mon... The bleeding hearts would be all over it.
chilipepper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They wouldn't know who did it though, it would be all finger pointing, IMO best to take a chance with the PR stuff and do it...
chilipepper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that the host server (Amazon) has pulled the plug...
FoxtrotBravo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Wiki Y2K10 Reply with quote

WikiLeaks is the 2010 version of the Y2K hysteria. A very small flame fanned into something very big and serious by the media so that it can feel very important about itself. If the MSM were responsible, it would have not printed stolen personal documents, end of story. The CBC for example has no problem blathering and pissing about endlessly about the private stolen documents (like it has done with others), but can't seem to find the time to produce documents about its own organization as requested on the freedom of information act. Very strange.
Bugs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally feel very attracted to wikileaks. But I like this information being available, just as background. Wikileaks is being closed down through commercial connections more than legal charges. It's not right, so long as their bills are paid.

It's the leak, itself, that is chiefly the problem. I can see that there might be a few diplomatic pips to be paid for these revelations. None of the prices huge, but all over the place, like mosquito bites to American prestige.

The government is lashing around in rage, using everything from sabotage to dubious arrests, freezing bank accounts, and the like, to stop wikileaks.

What they're doing to Assange is a persecution, pure and simple. They are just using the law to make him pay, rather than finding a legal basis for his arrest in the leaks themselves.

Its a politically motivated persecution, and its victim is doing precisely the kind of thing that the US is supposed to protect.

Jump to: